Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
The height of the morph ball and the height of Samus relative to it changes practically every game. It looked more doable in the older games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Also there was a comic/manga too with her being celebrated and poo poo and with a bikini lady on each arm and I feel like it's such a shame they decided to stop and change her character from there after she revealed 'Actually I am a lady.'

Considering that was literally the first game where that was "revealed", I don't think there's much room for anything like that there. In fact, you could replay the game without the suit...

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

If it helps any, it feels like the Fusion versions of things that are supposed to connect to Other M conflict with the Other M versions. Like they gave the personality of "Adam" a nudge in a different direction for Other M that you wouldn't have seen or picked up from Fusion.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

FPzero posted:

not much better in gameplay.
Well, actually, the gameplay is pretty good, but only if you divorce it from Metroid. It's a completely different kind of game than Metroid, so you're probably not going to enjoy it if you come in expecting that. On the other hand though, the way the game is designed, there's a lot of fun to be had with the new mechanics, and they always have a fast way to kill every recurring enemy, so you can feel like you're growing in strength even though your powerups remain the same. You just have to suffer through a god awful plot and a bad rehash of an enemy from Fusion, and the extremely ham handed "imagery" they continually use...

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Most of the Bosses in Fusion are creepy as poo poo, and Other M goes out of it's way to piss all over them.

The Nightmare, the boss of Sector 5, is supposed to be ludicrously powerful. And you accidentally let it loose as you start clearing out door locks to advance deeper into the space station. Your first interaction with it is this ominous looming shadow flying around in the background as you leave Sector 5, and upon your return everything is torn all to poo poo and you're able to advance past some lock doors because he's punched holes through the walls and ceilings allowing you to advance into it's lair. As you kill it it's mask starts to break and this green fluid starts weeping out. Eventualy the whole thing blasts off and his face starts melting off of his body as you damage it and it screams in pain.

In Other M, you end up fighting the nightmare again. It just shows up randomly as a boss with no foreshadowing, and it's defeat is considerably less dignified as it cries like a baby as it gets smashed into the walls

But babies! and """"""bottle"""""" ships! And moms! Also I can't tell from that video but I'm pretty sure they changed its face to look somewhat more like a baby's too, didn't they? some kind of "developing human" kind of facial feature stuff anyway. The other one pretty much didn't have much of a face to speak of at all...

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I thought the Fusion guy was melting because it was a gravity controlling experiment monster that lost an important part of its armor. And also was being shot in the face a lot.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Morroque posted:

So when Adam says there was no fewer than 10 SA-X on board? He was lying because the GBA doesn't have enough memory for even two.
I don't think this is a reasonable conclusion to come to about the plot of a game. (and even if it did matter what the GBA was capable of, why would that invalidate the story version of events? It's all scripted anyway...)

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Cartheon posted:

Samus didn't so much as save the planet she grew up on, as blow it up...twice. So really her planet didn't need her that much. It was getting along just fine without her. Space Pirate infestation aside.
Only the Tourian base blew up the first time. The second time around Mother Brain decided that the entire planet needed a self destruct instead of just the new base for some reason.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I think it was later retconned that she just blew up Tourian the first time.

It's not a retcon. Samus is standing on the planet's surface in the first Metroid's ending, so she only ever blew up the base.

Kurieg posted:

One of Other M's less remembered retcons was making it so the aliens commonly referred to as Space pirates are suddenly Native to Zebes. This also makes 1/3rd of Prime 3 incredibly confusing if you play them in the wrong order.
If they really did that in Other M then add another reason to the pile of why it never happened.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

If there was a small manned space base on the surface of mars, do we get to call the astronauts martians? Please say yes

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

It's a full game where you play as samus in a crashed research base on a planet and you're trying to get to your ship and leave. The big twist at the end is that you're just sa-x and you find this out by looking into a mirror and seeing that your helmet is empty. :iiam:

Also I love the videos, keep it up guys!

But the helmet wasn't empty in Fusion when you got to see its face.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I'm just happy that I've gotten to see a wild pika. Looks nothing like the pokemon (pikachu is a long-eared mouse while pikas are short-eared rabbits)

Well, the Pokemon wasn't named after the "pika", nor do you even pronounce pika the same way as the one in "Pikachu", so I should hope it doesn't.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The thread was pulled into another dimension. Or we were. Either way something's different.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes, that is usually what a cycle means in sci-fi stories. According to the Metroid wiki, there's some kind of universal definition of cycle which is shared by space pirates, the federation, and other peoples. It's about an earth year. Mummified remains that are ~ 8 years old? That makes sense, much more so than 8 weeks. Not enough time to mummify.

Decacycles would be decades... and then there's the case of the age of the moth guy. According to that log he's "2.15 centicycles" old. But centi means "a hundredth". If a cycle is a year, that would make him about a week old.

I'm going with the conclusion of the Metroid wiki, which is that they don't understand metric in the Metroid galaxy and a 'centicycle' is actually a hectocycle, a hundred-cycle period, or a century. The wise NPC being 215 years old makes much more sense.

It doesn't help that we have terms like "century" and "centenarian".

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

It's really strange, though. It's like someone else is running that part of the company in recent times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think I'll ever get why that universally turned into "Ridley's theme" when it was used during both escape sequences and one or two other boss fights in Super.

• Locked thread