Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This is a thread for a weekly online game of D&D 4th Edition. I'll be running the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure, which runs to the end of level 3, likely going for more adventures afterwards if we complete it and interest holds.

Just to set expectations, I mostly play 4e for the tactical combat, and the adventure itself is going to be heavy on the combat. I'm pretty open to creative ways to approaching encounters, but the encounters themselves are pretty much always going to be there, it's just a matter of which one you want to do first and how you'll try to gain some additional leverage. If I ever shoot down an idea (I will try not to!), it's mostly because we're doing this off a book.

I'm looking for 5 players. If you're new to 4e but would like to learn and join, that's okay too, we have pregens and stuff.

Feedback is always welcome, please do not hesitate to contact me about anything! I do have PMs and I can be emailed at gradenko2000 @ gmail

Chargen Details

Start at level 1
Ability Scores: Point buy-22 points, or the standard arrays
No race restrictions
No Essentials classes, please (though you can use powers and feats from any book)
Starting Gear: 100 gp to buy gear with
Bonus Feats: Versatile Expertise, Improved Defenses, and Melee Training
No backgrounds
No themes
Inherent Bonuses: Yes

The first session will be on Thu, Dec 3 2015, at 8:00 PM EST (or Fri, Dec 4 2015, 1:00 AM GMT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
FYI your post in the thread said "at 9:00 AM Eastern".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bunnielab posted:

FYI your post in the thread said "at 9:00 AM Eastern".

Sorry about that. Fixed

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Can I just play Nando the Mando again?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

The combat in 4e is my primary interest so an encounter heavy game is right up my alley :woop:. Thursday shouldn't prove any problem for my schedule in the short term. A few months from now? That may be another story but I'd be up for doing more modules if other folks are.

Striker- I played this for about 45 minutes back when it came out, and then our party wiped and we all didn't touch 4e for several months :v:. I was originally a rogue in that game and it'd be cool to go back in and get some revenge haha.

Sheet: Mr. Shenk Stibbens- Have my powers with the appropriate math on a second tab.
Class: Rogue(Artful Dodger)
Race: Halfling.
Array: Str:10 Con:14 Dex:16 Int: 8 Wis:13 Cha:14
Post Racial: Str:10 Con:14 Dex:18 Int: 8 Wis:13 Cha:16
Equipment: Leather Armor(25gp), 4 daggers(4gp), adventurer's kit(15gp), cloth armor(basic clothing 1gp), Everburning torch(50gp), and an extra belt pouch(1gp) to act as the cover for the torch.
Gold Remaining: 4 gp

quote:

When you ask around town for very specific services the name that comes up is always Stibbens, the halfling was a lauded dealer of death and an artist with a knife who was content to keep his services exclusive to the larger cities; doling out punishment to the unwanted for a handful of coin.

Stibbens was always grateful for his race's small stature, it made the dark work he was hired to do so much easier; the ability to squeeze neatly underneath a house so that you could surprise your target with a quick death was quite a boon in his business. It was on a routine work day when the event that would change the course of his life occurred, during a routine job he was creeping up on the fifth target of the day and before he was able to stab the last rat in sight, something caught him by the wrist.

The town folk to their credit when retelling the story leave out the shriek of horror Stibbens had let out, a half starved goblin that had crawled under the house and had been feeding on the rats there had latched weakly onto him, the bloody mess of a body Stibbens had dragged out after reflexively stabbing into the thing a half dozen times had given him quite the reputation in the town where few enough had ever even seen a monster.

Stibbens' introduction to the world of adventuring was a rather large misunderstanding, a party of adventurers had swept through town and overheard some folk speaking amusedly about their town's mighty goblin slayer. Details were requested, Stibbens was sought out, and not a day later he was on the road with the group under the impression he'd been hired to help clear a manor or some such large building a ways out of town. As it would turn out the reflexive stabbing speed he had honed going after rats served him quite well in upping his business from a simple rat catcher to monster hunter.

If you get a glut of all strikers or something I'd be happy to toss together a different role filler. If you're wanting to do character generation in session I'm cool with that too :v: it doesn't take me but a few minutes to get an idea for a character and stat them out.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 29, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bleu posted:

Can I just play Nando the Mando again?

We'd be starting from level 1, but otherwise yeah, that's cool.

Welcome aboard! That sheet looks slick as hell, too.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Oooh, I'm definitely interested in playing this! I'll try to have a character sheet up and posted by tomorrow.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Time got away from me. I'm not going to be able to submit a character. Have fun!

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 3, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Welcome aboard! That sheet looks slick as hell, too.

:tipshat:

I'm out doing errands for a bit but I'll probably toss up a temporary IRC channel later today and tomorrow if there's anyone new or old to the game who wants a hand putting a character together.

e: Hanging out in #ShadowKeepSA on synirc for the rest of the day if anyone has some questions or wants some help putting a character together.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 30, 2015

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Major thanks to A Darker Porpoise for helping me put this character together! I've made a Warlord, which is a first for me personally

Sheet: Myna - Like ADP's sheet it has the powers with the math on the second tab
Race: Half-Orc
Stats: Str:16 Con:13 Dex:10 Int:14 Wis:8 Cha:14
Stats After Race: Str:18 Con:13 Dex:12 Int:14 Wis:8 Cha:14
Equipment:Chainmail(40gp), Executioner's Axe (30gp), Adventurer's Kit(15gp), Sling (1gp), 20 sling bullets (1gp)
Gold remaining:13gp

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Sheet: Adar Power Cards
Race: Human
Stats: Str:10 Con:16 Dex:11 Int:13 Wis:16 Cha: 8
Stats After Race: Str:10 Con:16 Dex:11 Int:13 Wis:18 Cha: 8
Equipment: Staff Implement(5gp) Adventuring Kit (15g) Hide Armor (30g) Ritual Book (50g)
Gold Remaining: 0

Thanks to A Dark Porpoise for taking the time to make sure I don't suck. :v:

Updated with power cards because all the cool kids were doing it.

Sinistral fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 4, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for your interest! Welcome aboard.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
Interested in playing an Eladrin Swordmage. Will submit a character sheet within the next 24 hours.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
And stats are up. Decided to go with a tiefling rather than an eladrin so I could be a bit more down-to-earth.

Shard, Tiefling Swordmage
Stats: Str 10, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 12
Stats After Race: Str 10, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 14
Equipment: Longsword (15 gp), Leather Armor (25 gp), 4 Daggers (4 gp), Adventurer's Kit (15 gp), Disguise Kit (30 gp)
Money: 3 gp, 73 sp, 36 cp

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Shard, Tiefling Swordmage

Welcome aboard!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Link to the roll20 game: https://app.roll20.net/join/1133259/2A3Z-g

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

In a world gone mad...A world where monsters are taunted and hands are shouted back on...A battle for the ages. Kobold marriages arranged. Balconies jumped off. Stones slain. And in the end...peace.

But that wasn't the end. Nothing could have prepared them for what happened next.

A Keep. A Shadow. A Fall. Action. Adventure. Mystery. A battle seven years in the making.

One man has the courage to stand up for what's right. One man has the passion to take the fight to them. One man has the balls to say "Hell yeah!" to Caster Supremacy.

He is...Nando "The Mando" Alessandro. Wizard Cop.

"I just failed my Charisma save" - Michael "Mike" Mearls

"Now smoking: Nando's palpable, exotic presence; unadulterated ecstasy; and Thrills (the gum that tastes like soap)" - James Edward Raggi IV

"6/10 ok i guess" - IGN

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

:woop: I am ready, ready for action, hijinks, and goblin murder! :woop: See y'all soon!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'll allow you all to freely change your Power and Feat selections in between sessions.

As a recap of what dropped this session:

Repulsion Armor, Leather +1
Architect's Staff, +1
Luckblade, Dagger +1

And then A Darker Porpoise has been tracking the group's standing through this link

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

So just for recaps in case y'all didn't copy it down

Adar

quote:

Architect's staff
Item slot: Offhand
Critical: +1d6 damage
Enhancement: +1 attack rolls and damage rolls
Rarity: Uncommon
Property: Add squares equal to the enhancement bonus of this staff to the area of a zone or wall cast with this staff.
Power (Daily): Standard Action. Reshape one existing wall effect that you cast. At least one square of the wall must remain stationary.

This has a bit of a weird interaction with swarm of locusts, the blast still only targets a 3x3 section of the map but the after effect left behind is a 4x4 area.

The +1 to attack and damage on this will be subsumed by our inherent bonuses come level 2

Shard

quote:

Repulsion Leather Armor +1
Enhancement:+1 AC
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Whenever an enemy moves into an adjacent square, you can push that enemy 1 square as an immediate reaction. This power lasts until the end of the encounter.

The +1 to AC on this will be subsumed by our inherent bonuses come level 2 so you'll stay at your adjusted 20 AC. I'm dumb you get the defenses upgrade at level 4 not 2 :downs:.
Shenk

quote:

Luckblade Dagger +1
Critical:+1d8 damage
Enhancement: +1 attack rolls and damage rolls.
Power (Daily): Free Action. Reroll an attack roll you just made. Use the second result even if it's lower.

The +1 to attack and damage on this will be subsumed by our inherent bonuses come level 2.

Money wise we're doing pretty good assuming we're just auto converting any material goods into gold immediately. If we ponied up the cash we could pay for a lower tier magical item for one of our party members or if we continue along the path we're going we'll easily be able to purchase a single level 1-3 item each in no time at all! Assuming we can find someone to do

Mechanics wise I'm trading clever strike(CA against enemies next to my allies) for deft strike(move 2 and then attack).

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
E: didn't notice the date. Obviously can't apply, but curious anyway.

Has the module been tweaked in any way? It's not got the best rep.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I believe we're playing the reprint version which has some tweaking built in of how the encounters are laid out compared to the original, but I can't speak as to whether this is more difficult overall yet. We've yet to come up against what decimated my group so hard that we stopped playing so I'm sure if we all come in next week and post dejectedly about how we got murdered by Irontooth you'll see if it's been changed for the better :v:.

We did get through what I remember as the first common TPK (kobolds at a waterfall) without too much trouble, everyone is down a couple of surges across the 3 combats we did, and no dailies have had to be popped. Mainly we've just had really bad dice luck haha.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

E: didn't notice the date. Obviously can't apply, but curious anyway.

Has the module been tweaked in any way? It's not got the best rep.

I'm mostly making sure that:
Monster HP is MM3-compliant
Brute, Solo and Elite defenses aren't overtuned
Players get more loot

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is just for my personal reference, but the Dark Sun Arena Gladiator feats are in Dragon #368

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

I'll be a little late. On my way, though.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Things for Myna

quote:

Dwarven Armor+1
Enhancement: +1AC
Property: +1 item bonus to Endurance check
Power: (Daily . Healing):Free Action. Regain hit points as if you had spent a healing surge.

Enhancement is replaced by inherent bonuses at level 4.

quote:

Vengeful Execution Axe+1
Power(Encounter): Free Action. Use this power when an attack hits a bloodied ally within 10 squares of you. Gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against the attacker until the end of your next turn.

Inherent bonuses replace the Enhancement at level 2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Recap of stuff:

From the Kobold cave:
Vengeful Weapon, Execution Axe +1 (level 5)
Dwarven Armor, Chain +1 (level 2)

From the Dragon burial site:
115 gp
3 gems worth 100 gp each (300 gp)
ancient mirror worth 550 gp
Orb of Unlucky Exchanges, +1 (level 3)

Reward for stopping the kobold threat:
540 gp
Amulet of Health, +1

===

You are all level 2 now
You can buy any magic item in the books that you might want/need
As before, you can change your powers or feats to whatever's accessible for your level

If you have any questions, you can post here, or PM me, or email me, or we are intermittently online at #shadowkeepsa on synIRC

And then A Darker Porpoise has been tracking the group's standing through this link

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Since I gained a level, can I retrain one of our bonus feats? I'd like to turn Versatile Expertise into Orb Expertise, since Nando's weapons make him basically David Bowie in Labyrinth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bleu posted:

Since I gained a level, can I retrain one of our bonus feats? I'd like to turn Versatile Expertise into Orb Expertise, since Nando's weapons make him basically David Bowie in Labyrinth.

Yes, you may.

ADarkerPorpoise, I know I said different prior. I've changed my mind. You can change the generic Versatile Expertise into one of the weapon-type specific Expertises (with the trade-off being that it's just towards that weapon type)

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, you may.

ADarkerPorpoise, I know I said different prior. I've changed my mind. You can change the generic Versatile Expertise into one of the weapon-type specific Expertises (with the trade-off being that it's just towards that weapon type)

Good....Good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tips for using roll20:

Instead of using the /roll command, you can type something like:

And it will come out as:

This takes up less of the chatlog space, and lets you roll to-hit and damage at the same time.

So if the power card on your character sheet says:

Then the text string to enter into the chatbox would be

code:
Basic Attack: [[1d20+7]] to hit vs AC, [[1d12+4]] damage
And if you have Combat Advantage, just add a +2 right after the 1d20+7 before you press enter

For me I just have a notepad for each of these attacks, so I can just copy-paste them to the chatbox, add whatever circumstantial bonus I might have, then hit enter.

You can do the same with skills as well.
And if anyone wants help setting up such text strings, let me know!

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

New sheet, new tricks.

Class: Wizard. Alignment: Wizard.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 11, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Cool beans! Regarding the expertise retraining

If people make any big purchases you can open the tracking sheet to the wealth page and if you'd put in a "-360" or whatever you spent underneath your character's name and note that you purchased something, or post in the thread what you've bought I'd appreciate it :v:.

Shenk is leveled up to 2.

Power: Sneak in the Attack: Minor action to tag a target, next ally to hit that target who has combat advantage against it can deal my sneak attack damage to it which is an additional 2d6.
Feat: Deft Hurler Style: When I make someone miss with my halfling racial power I can use the Sly Flourish power against them as a free action.
Retrain: Versatile expertise into light blade expertise(+1 damage against enemies granting CA)
Magic Item Bought: None right now my I'm still saving up until I can decide on what I want first.

Acrobat Boots: 520 gp to get standing from prone as a minor.
Flowform Armor or a Shielding Dagger would be 840 so I'd need 389gp still over what I have. :homebrew:
Iron armbands of Striking would run me 1800gp so I'm pretty sure those are gonna have to wait :v:.

Item blurbs from this session.

For Nando found in a garbage dump.

quote:

Orb of Unlucky Exchange
Item Slot: Off-hand
Critical: +1d6
Power (Daily): Free action. Use this power when you hit a target with an attack with this implement. One effect affecting you or an ally within 5 squares of you ends. The target gains that effect with the same duration.

The enhancements here are already covered by our level 2 inherent bonuses.

For someone tbd

quote:

Amulet of Health
Enhancement: +1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Rarity Uncommon
Property You gain poison resistance equal to twice the amulet's enhancement bonus.

The enhancements here will be null at 4th level

I'm personally nominating Shard to get the amulet as buffing our defender's defenses isn't going to do anything but pay off in the long run :v:.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Here's Myna's nice and updated sheet!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I had some time today so I drew up a less-awful Myna image (and token)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Uploaded to our roll20. That looks neat!

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
Got called into work so I'm probably going to be late tonight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Had to call the game tonight. I won't be free next Thursday because that's Christmas already for me, but I am available on

1. Mon, Dec 21; 8:00 PM EST
2. Tue, Dec 22; 8:00 PM EST
3. Wed, Dec 23; 8:00 PM EST

Please let me know if you're available on any of these days. If we can get a consensus, I'll run a game for that day then.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I'm free all three days so no worries there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I too am free all three of those nights.

• Locked thread