Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Interest post.

e; hybrid's okay?

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

"In the name of all the gods," is no one else's battlecry but Li's, a knight whose loyalty to each god and goddess is both equal and expedient. Since each and every one of those great divine beings can take any other's forms and manifest their signs so they might tempt mere mortals to their own idea of redemption, and there always happens to be enough of them with something to gain by helping someone like Li, the following is clear: in the end, effectiveness is what matters most to the powerful, divine or no, and being owned by no one means with every conflict comes a bidding war.

Sheet: Li, the Free Lancer
Race: Human
Stats: Str:21 Con:15 Dex:10 Int:8 Wis:10 Cha: 11
Equipment: Plate armor, Gouge, Waterskin, Rations (10), Miner's helmet, Sunrod (2)
Gold Remaining: 0

e; whoops, missed the gold and item catchup things. Actually thought just inherent bonuses would keep the new recruits up.

e2; okay that should be sorted.

If I still want to play this character, here's the drive link https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VlNFX2lrLxS185ckgzUC1ybXM

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 29, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

drat if only we followed through with team pixie we could have a chariot.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Haha nah it wasn't clear at all that anyone was disappointed with the game, just that everyone was zonked, zombified, tired as gently caress. But yeah with advance notice I can be a little less drunk and goofy and a little more tactical and in-character and stuff.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hooray macros!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Since everyone else is saying their build stuff, Li's new utility is Run Rampant, an encounter minor action saving throw (or check)with +Str (5) against basically any movement affecting condition: grabbed, immobilized, restrained, or slowed. For a feat, I managed to find one that increases defenses: Deva Heritage, which gives a daily inverse Myra stance: -2 to attacks against you until you're bloodied. Also you shed 6 squares of bright light, for all the non darkvision people in the party.

For a wishlist item, all I really got is a Symbol of Hope–a mere level 3 item. I'll never actually use it to hit things, just for its daily, which lets me use my reaction when I or someone w/in 5 squares of me gets hit by a save ends effect. They get to roll a save right then, and get a +5 power bonus to saves against that effect. Basically we aren't I'm not getting cc'd ever again if I can help it. Except for stunning I guess--the most dickish of status effects.

Also maybe some Meliorating Armor: it's the OP one that increases its enhancement bonus by 1 for every milestone you reach, until after an extended rest. Since everyone seems to save all their dailies all the time anyway, and the choo choo train rarely stops, by the time we get to the hard boss encounter maybe Li will actually be tanky.

As for where we should go: gently caress Athas. No metal means no gold, so whatever we actually get for crashing the economy will also only be worth anything in Athas. Which has no metal, so no cool weapons or armor for basically anyone in the party.

Let's go beat up some undead. They're not only things that can protect whatever they're buried with, they also kill all the tomb raiders and grave robbers that come at them and basically steal their stuff too. They probably won't be stupid enough to let us walk up and cutscene kill them, but whatever.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I'm making backup characters!! Right now I have a Swordmage|Wizard, and an Invoker|Cleric. They both have really annoying AOEs!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Didn't someone mention such and such busted Rituals? One of my backup characters can get the ability to use those.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Backup character can buy basically every ritual with that.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I can also pick up disenchant and transfer and create magic items, so we don't have to always sell cheaply.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VlNFX2lrLxbmNSNFNZcHdzUkU

Here's the guy. I haven't figured out what his equipment rituals and component costs or how much of that is part of of chargen. His specialty is exploding many things, slowing them, having combat advantage against them all the time, doing a little healing and buffing and such, and being kind of hard to hit despite his role and lovely HP. He worships some evil BDSM god I don't know the details.

e; apparently he's the underdark god of torture and suffering and such. I didn't have a choice because there are like no gods with the right domain (earth) that lets this character be really annoying. The other choices were boring Chauntea and some red pill orc goddess favoring subservient female orcs. Gross.

e2; actually eff that I'll go the crazy oozegod: ghaundaur.

I can also spec him into the AOE proning man, if the rest of you want to get stuff like Headsman's Chop and Grounded Shot.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 25, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

On second thought. We're getting a bard, who should have rituals covered, and controllery things. I've always wanted to play a fighter and am addicted to hybrids and gods and stuff, so I idk remade Li to be more of a defender and less of a glass cannon.

Also the character is less evil this way. Not evil.

Drive

orokos

cute version

epic versions

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 12, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

That's fine by me, gives me more time to make 50 builds and try to choose between them!

e; 50th times the charm!

Edis "Edie" Kt'fisto\

Swordmage|Cleric, for all your tanking and buffing needs. Basically a space alien come to see if all these places are ripe for planar harvesting or worth preserving.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VlNFX2lrLxa1ZoWFBFZlV5VHc

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7837

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 28, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah I'll play. I thought the game was now for some reason.

Probably just gonna be Li again. I reworked the build to be a little tankier and do a little more damage. All that's otherwise different is -1 speed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5VlNFX2lrLxZk1nTTFjNU5JWWs/view?usp=sharing

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7838

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

lol

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

No offense that dude will get torn apart against the stuff gradenko has been throwing at us lately.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7838

Leveled up Li gets another high damage power, that's an immediate reaction this time. Damage!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

senrath posted:

So Helm of the Flamewarped should probably go to whomever rolls the most dice with an at-will (I think that's Li, but I haven't gone and actually checked).

I can also shrug off the self daze with my racial ability that triggers at the start of my turn. So if I use the daily for a granted attack with no monster between then and my own turn there's no drawback. So gimme.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

switch to ranger :v:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Seconding controller you'll make a lot of attack rolls because of AE and are bound to hit one of them.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

holy poo poo i just woke up in time to find this out.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Could've gone a lot faster with all the minions dead on turn one then all the skeletons stunned on turn 2. I'm switching characters again to something with outrageous range.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Zhahn

"Illusions, dad. You don't have time for my illusions!"

I'm a wizard who likes making bets on fights, and never "guessing" wrong. Because I rig the fights.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

game ded?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

That's my secret, cap. I'm always tired.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Wonder if we would have succeeded at a group check.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Can't make it tomorrow, don't all die without me.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I don't see it in the TG recruitment megathread?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Can't make it tomorrow, death in the family.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I slept through it, was jetlagged as hell.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I'm experiencing side effects, expect even weirder jokes than normal.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Zhahn is now a Divine Oracle so he can cheat at gambling and fighting with a luck god backing him up.

He and allies within 5sq cannot be surprised, and when he rolls init he gets to roll twice and take the higher.

When he spends an AP, he also gains a move action that he can use on a different turn that encounter.

Once per encounter he can make an enemy get crit once by whoever wants when they hit it. It wears off at the end of my next turn if we manage to all miss like idiots. At 12 once per day as a standard action he can give the party +5 power bonuses to all d20 rolls until the end of his next turn. Unfortunately you can't crit while this is in effect. We'll probably use it to cheat at skill challenges. At 16 he gets the roll twice and take the higher on attacks that target will and be dazed until the end of his next turn if they both miss.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

She should be a Revenant and go 18 Dex before racials like Claramonk. But gradenko banned Essentials classes anywa–poo poo, Mage is an Essentials class.

We should do a joke game where we all have to be Essentials. Imagine how fast chargen and the turns will go!

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 7, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I almost always forget the extra crap I get from being an Illusionist/Enchanter anyway.

Joke Essentials Game! Joke Essentials Game!

I'll even go stereotypical Fireball Mage.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Because gradenko is the only 4e wonk I think has their head on straight there's some mechanics stuff I have to get off my chest and hacks I think might work. Skip to the latter if you want.

It's funny when people rag on Essentials to me, because power strike and poo poo are basically encounter powers deconstructed. Martials do more damage than everyone else, maybe having a rider based on something ie between weapon choice. Instead of one daily stance, they get a bunch of at-will stances that are pretty good and "always on." Thieves get something similar but a bit more technical because they're trickier in the fiction. Turning Dailies into at-wills means ironically that they have more decisions they can make during the "cleanup phase" of fights, which lasts particularly long in heroic tier, before AEDU PCs have their full suite of powers. At that point AEDU classes they nova ridiculously hard, especially when they high damage, off-action attacks, which let's be honest really slow the game down by making everyone roll more attacks and more dice, keep track of mods, and have to decide every time their power's trigger comes up whether to use the power.

Meanwhile hacks like give the PCs the escalation die, or DOAM, are pretty much hamfisted solutions, purely mechanical and not at all justified by the fiction, to fights' ceasing to be interesting once the choices made by PCs and NPCs have very little impact on outcomes–when only the dice matter anymore as each side just mashes the at will button until the DM just calls the fight. There's just no reason in the fiction why no NPCs, only the PCs just fight harder every 6 seconds or always deal damage with every attack they make. Both also mean multiattacks are even better than before, just like at launch but worse–wizard ranger warlord supremacy. Accuracy stops mattering, and it doesn't change tactics at all as Dolphin said. So what feels like degenerate strategies (Ranger Clara, Wizard Zhahn) do ridiculous damage, and PCs without them do much less and obviously matter much less to the outcome, which feels bad.

Hacks: I think the "Encounter Power are Reliable" hack is a good one, but if you wanted to go a step farther you could just go ahead and turn it into Essentials: encounter powers become Free- or No Actions triggered on hit or on attack. The format for this is powers either get the option of +[W] damage, +rider, with a "on hit" Trigger as a No Action, or +tier scaling mod+stat damage with the "when you attack" trigger as a No action and the rider on hit. The latter when the rider is particularly strong (like the Hunter, Cavalier, and Blackguard) and the former when it's more about the weapon and the damage (Power Strike havers). Maybe some other, trickier powers could follow the Thief's format or something. This makes non-AEDU Essentials classes weaker by comparison by stealing their "consistency" schtick, so give them bonus feats with powerstrike, sneak attack, or quarry as the requirement. The ones that trade damage dice for other, usually controllery stuff.

At the very least, the essentials format is better than power points and full disciplines though.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I was trying out the troll powers that deal no damage. I'll go back to showing my TRUE POWER for the next fights because they make things go faster.

I think that the ability to multiattack is degenerate, through that Rangers Scoundrels and Leaders especially Marshals break the action economy so hard with no effort–the powers and items and feats that allow that probably weren't intended to be combined or probably just horribly underestimated in general. Wizards kinda multiattack via their enormous AOE via Enlarge Spell, but it doesn't matter as much because it doesn't feel like their multitarget damage is OP, and the coolest fights in 4e are against fewer foes with terrain and hazards and traps and junk anyway. Those functionally beef up the enemy action economy and can't be defeated by dealing damage, often PCs can make a skill check or use their actions to deal with them but sometimes they just have to suck it up. Having a multiattacker oneshot those elites and solos in their awesome lairs by taking a really long turn let's the PCs basically skip those fights including the awesome lairs, which takes away IMO the best part of 4e. As for AOE, and multiple minions are intended to make the PCs feel like big badasses anyway.

For interesting fight's there are also Wraiths, TBH I thought it was a cool fight, especially in the old school insubstantial undead oh poo poo ability drain style. There was some real tension of losing because of their having effectively DOAM, depleting a necessary but usually invisible resource.

Skippable Essentials Bullshit: Essentials isn't just the Slayer but it's focused on because it's the simplest class in the game. If a player has system mastery and is interested the experience of building and playing an highly tuned/customized class, of course Essentials and especially the Slayer gives way less to work with. That's intended. They're not at all meant for players like that, who will just see: Martial, MBA focused, at-will Charge stances, therefore Charge with both hands because all those things have the most feat/item support in the system (My bullshit Wizard is probably second on that list). But when those players show up to PUGs with with the most complex and "rewarding" creations, their obscure combination of stuff and long turns strike fear and boredom into the eyes of some players, but especially new players.

The Slayer is a godsend for them, those lurkers or people who don't know/give a poo poo about the mechanics but still want to not suck/hold the team back. As a GM, you can start them on a Slayer, or/then if those noobs want to try a different role and get deeper into 4e, they could go Knight, which has much of the same stances but is slightly more complex, or into any pre-genned AEDU class, even a non-Essentials one, where they can or can't/will or won't have the ability to customize it. For instance, I made a blaster wizard for a player who said "eh go ahead and pick all my powers." New players and especially new GMs are the lifeblood of a system and the RPG hobby as a whole, and they were not well supported in 4e until the very end with Essentials and MM3 custom monster building tables.

Throwing an AEDU class at brand new people often/always resulted in other people running their character for them whether they wanted them to or not, and around here people neither remember what it was like to be in that position nor have they played with one who was. Those new players might not want to get deeper into 4e, but they definitely both don't want to be and never will be a liability as an Essentials class–even the much maligned Vampire, as we've seen. Those new player's turns won't take forever, they won't have conditionals to track, and their damage won't blow.

I'm not one of those new players–I whine at people to coordinate the turn order and not provoke OAs or move into my unfriendly burst attacks–but In terms of the experiencing other players' characters do stuff, I tend not to give a poo poo how mechanically intensive or obscure they are or are not unless I understand them so well it might as well be me running them. As a player of RPGs, I'm one of those players that likes the fiction. That announcer guy. Making things go catatonic because of all the illusory bats. With that in mind...

The Hack: I rethought my no action encounter attack power hack by making it doing auto-Reliable and DOAM but more. In its new form it no longer just makes encounters go faster but also entails an order of narration I prefer, fiction first.

Under the current rules, calling out some cool attack by name before making it, especially before missing, is mechanics first and really unsatisfying if you miss, which is why you suggested Reliable encounter powers.

An exchange might go like this: "I Brutal Slam, X vs Fort." "Miss" "drat"

My new idea is the triggers of all powers has changed to "you hit or miss with a basic attack" and the resolution has changed to doing the following on a miss: the difference of the damage between the basic and the power and always the rider. In play: the PC narrates which defense they attack with their intended power, always (and if they wish, only) specifying it mechanically, then the GM says hit or miss, then the PC's player says "I use [the power]! DOAM (if any) and the rider."

An exchange might go like this: "I try to overwhelm them with the weight of my Mordenkrad of Carnage, [rolls] X vs Fort," "You hit, what happens?" "I send them flying into Monster C with Brutal Slam, Y damage [the encounter power's normal damage], and I push them 3 squares and deal B damage to Monster C" or "You fail, what happens?" "I don't give up, I still use Brutal Slam and still do Z damage [the damage of Brutal Slam minus the at-will's damage] and I push them etc."

For multi-attacks it goes "–but I use the power! X vs [defense] again vs [whichever monster]! etc."

Most at-wills do zero damage on a miss, but some do, like Magic Missile either deals full damage or just the static base (2/3/5 depending on tier), Barbarian at-wills while Raging still roll the extra die, and any dual stat to damage powers still deal the second stat in damage. This doesn't break minions, because misses never kill minions.

Also if a PC has the ability to target different defenses with their powers then they'd be able to ask "what about reflex instead of fort?" if they might want to use a different power. Finally if the PC decided to use a power that provoked an OA, they should say so when they choose to use such a power. "I use Winged Horde but I provoke opportunity attacks."

One quirk of the hack is you need to "make up" an BA for classes that don't have one, ie most implement users, 1dX that the intended power uses+static mods, 2dX in epic.

A less occurring but high impact of the hack is players can decide to "retroactively" pop a Daily on a crit and do huge damage, but I figure making Dailies and crits a big deal is more a feature than a bug.

What do you guys think? Also original the 4e hack do not steal.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I thought about the Wizard thing and decided on another patch:

Controllery powers should only apply conditions, attack defense and damage penalties and all save ends effects on hit. The rest, like damage, marks, push, pull, slide, teleport, and buffs can apply on miss. In general, effects that really gently caress with the economy should only ever apply on hit.

The reasoning is 4e fights should be tactical and exciting. Fights need to be fast to be exciting because longer fights wear out their welcome, but not too fast because the all fights shouldn't be easy because the players figured out some charop bullshit combo. Easy fights should be easy because the DM crafted them to be easy by lowering the XP budget, or the players rolled hot and they rolled garbage.

Damage and buffs make fights go faster, but in moderation. Forced movement and movement penalties (that aren't absolute, like immobilize) make the game more tactical but not slower. Controllery effects make fights less dangerous/exciting, but not necessarily faster or more tactical. But what about the bonuses and penalties to dice rolls? Why allow buffs on miss and not debuffs? Because the two always stack, and the combination of them leads to fights where the dice don't matter, you always hit, they always miss/do nothing, and things die before anything exciting can happen.

One of the missions of 4e was to unify bonuses so they don't stack in asinine ways like in 3e. CA, feat, power, and item bonuses are fine, unnamed bonuses are kind of dumb to begin with and super dumb when they get sky high, but combining those buffs with always nameless, always stacking, debuffs leads to the same degenerate gameplay as 3e. The escalation die is one of those unnamed bonuses which is why I consider it a bad patch mechanically (and fictionally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Can't

• Locked thread