Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

So I'm thinking about epic nostalgia recently (a marathon viewing of nostalgia critic episodes *may* have influenced me :ninja: ) and nostalgic games of the past.

If you guys had to choose the GOTY for your entire childhood, what would it be?

I'd have to go with the Star Wars: Episode 1 game for ps1. As many of you may know I'm a massive, massive Star Wars fan, and this game (and respective movie) were what really got me into the series. It had it all, combat, adventure, exploration, role playing, I always say this but basically it was Mass Effect before Mass Effect was Mass Effect. Better story too. s9 yeah that's my growing up GOTY. What's yours fellow Pimp Zoners?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I played a lot of Starcraft: Brood War. Tons of online custom maps.

Elemental Lurker Defense...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i played metroid prime 1 and DKC2 to death, but my choice is probably diablo 2 because i still boot that poo poo up today

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bobnumerotres posted:

i played metroid prime 1 and DKC2 to death, but my choice is probably diablo 2 because i still boot that poo poo up today

I was going to say DKC2 because it was amazing but I definitely put more hours into Starcraft. I like your style Bobnumerotres.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Lufia 2, OP.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Probably GoldenEye 007. I spent like 9002 hours inputting random Gameshark codes and then documenting the results trying to come up with cool effects.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Morrowind. In middle school I played it with basically every second of free time I had. Wake up, Morrowind, go to school, come home, Morrowind, go to bed and start it over. Then on weekends, wake up Morrowind go to bed. Never been addicted to a game like that before or since.

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
Tie between super mario rpg and kirby super star

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
FE7

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Morrowind.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Most likely I'd have to say, going purely on gut feels alone, Diablo 2 or the Warcraft 2 Level Editor or maybe Rollercoaster Tycoon. If I had to be a little more objective about it, I'd probably say Quake 3/Live even though I only started playing it in 2012, or Victoria: An Empire Under The Sun.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Taking very recent releases into account, it's hard not to put Super Mario Maker in at least the top 5 games of all time.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
EverQuest.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it was either kirby superstar or banjo tooie for me.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's definitely Diablo II for me

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

playing double dragon 2 with my best friend in primary school

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Runescape.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I love watching chill guys play this.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
World of Warcraft.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I played a frankly disgusting amount of Runescape from age like 7 to 11 and I don't think I ever got above level 80. Also I hated kill x whatever quests even as a kid so the disturbing amount of fetch quests in Runescape were fun to me somehow.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Impossible to choose, but if I had to pick a single great memory from my childhood, it would be when I went over to my best friend's house and he had Secret of Mana, and we played co-op, that blew my mind. What a fun time. I wouldn't even put that game in my top 3 SNES games but man that was fun.

rediscover posted:

Lufia 2, OP.

runner up

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i played more ragnarok online than i should have. i just kicked the habit entirely last year

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I 100% completed Super Mario Sunshine over one summer without a guide to impress a girl in my elementary school class. :slick: :black101:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I 100% completed Super Mario Sunshine over one summer without a guide to impress a girl in my elementary school class. :slick: :black101:

*calls the police*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quake.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Doctor Goat posted:

i played more ragnarok online than i should have. i just kicked the habit entirely last year

i played an insane amount of ragnarok online when i was a kid. poo poo was wild back then

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Quake/Quakeworld, without a doubt. Deathwatch, team DM, 3Wave CTF, 1v1, FvF, all that good poo poo. It made me into a gamer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Mario World

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Suikoden 1.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Jerkops posted:

Quake/Quakeworld

I take this back, Quake made me a PC gamer, Zelda 1 & 2, and Final Fantasy 1 made me a gamer as a kid

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Jerkops posted:

I take this back, Quake made me a PC gamer, Zelda 1 & 2, and Final Fantasy 1 made me a gamer as a kid

For me it was Super Mario Bros and, if the screenshots I found of the team select menu are matching up with the picture I have in my head, Baseball Stars.

I think it is the game since https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGuPONzYm28 I remember this music I think. I was 2 or 3 when I played it last though so.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah two epic gamers
Living in a sweet pad
Had a couple o' kids
Now they're called Mom and Dad
And their kids love to game too
It's the game of the year

Yeah it's the game of the year

[music]

Now they're... Growin' Up GOTY
Yeah they're... Grown' Up GOTY

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Intellivision Dude is epic...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't remember the cartride looking like it does in google though which is concerning me. Maybe my rents had the Tengen copy of RBI baseball... I don't know.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Crash Team Racing.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Wormskull posted:

For me it was Super Mario Bros and, if the screenshots I found of the team select menu are matching up with the picture I have in my head, Baseball Stars.

I think it is the game since https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGuPONzYm28 I remember this music I think. I was 2 or 3 when I played it last though so.

I remember Baseball Stars and Tecmo Bowl led me to believe that pro sports were way cooler when I was controlling the players

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I uses to rent vattletoads a lot and I'd play co-op with my sister and we'd always agree to share items and vehicles but if I got on the first pink bird thing she'd always scream and smash me off.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

SombereroLad posted:

Tie between super mario rpg and kirby super star

i was tempted to say this, as i am replaying both of these on the vc, but instead i will go with age of empires 2. all my friends installed it using the same disc, and we'd get a ton of vault 12 packs and burgers and play every other weekend

now that i think about it, add rock band as well

AtlasToked fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Super Mario World, my first game ever. Doned.

• Locked thread