Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Well, MonoSoft did say they wanted to be become "something like" Bethesda. :v:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/14/inspired-by-bethesda-softworks-monolith-soft-looks-forward-to-jumping-into-the-next-gen/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry Louisgod, I saw one there that said the game has annoyances and so it actually will be the worst game ever and worse than two Hitlers.

Don't sugarcoat it. It'll be worse than 2.23 Hitlers.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The wind blows hard in December...

e: Should have been the thread title, imo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't loving wait

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry Louisgod, I saw one there that said the game has annoyances and so it actually will be the worst game ever and worse than two Hitlers.

review scores are dumb and serve no purpose other than to enrage nerds but they are a good indicator of how game reviewers are fickle, bigoted nerds themselves

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

review scores are dumb and serve no purpose other than to enrage nerds but they are a good indicator of how game reviewers are fickle, bigoted nerds themselves

A well paced and interesting post does not excuse the numerous grammatical and spelling errors. Its content is also somewhat problematic in today's landscape and overall, I think this post could have done with a few extra months of development. 6/10.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

icantfindaname posted:

Wrong. Reviews tell us about energy busts, energy blasts, skell, skell hoists, BLADE meetings, New LA night. It's wonderful. I've never felt so excited in all my life. These people looked deep within their soul and assigned a number based on the order in which Nintendo paid them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Louisgod posted:

Wrong. Reviews tell us about energy busts, energy blasts, skell, skell hoists, BLADE meetings, New LA night. It's wonderful. I've never felt so excited in all my life. These people looked deep within their soul and assigned a number based on the order in which Nintendo paid them.

I mean you get these things from talking to people who played the Japanese version of the game too, just fyi

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Baal posted:

I mean you get these things from talking to people who played the Japanese version of the game too, just fyi

Those people are too weird to talk to

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My dick is rock hard over the thought of playing this

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I don't think I've bought a guide for a game since FFXII but I ended up getting the hardbound guide for this. Amazon has it for 22 bucks and you can get an addtional 30% off with the 'holiday30' promo code. Ended up being like 15 bucks: http://smile.amazon.com/Xenoblade-Chronicles-Collectors-Edition-Guide/dp/0744016738/ref=pd_bxgy_63_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XCTWP3K97RMBF6V2ZFJ

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Baal posted:

Yeah but it's hard to understand them between all the screaming about the ruined integrity of the game because of the removed 13 year old bikini.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Massively looking forward to this game! Is the thread title a Xenogears thing? It sounds familiar.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Silver Falcon posted:

Massively looking forward to this game! Is the thread title a Xenogears thing? It sounds familiar.

Yeah, it was the tagline for Xenogears's magazine ads. Remember gaming magazines? They were made of paper. It was crazy times.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stunning animé

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ah, yes. Thanks, both of you! The only Xenogears thing I've seen is Dark Id's LP of it, so I must have seen it there.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Too much good stuff coming out at once. I'm just getting into Fallout 4, and now there is this and Just Cause 3 coming out. And I still need to finish The Witcher 3 and start the expansion.

Too many games and not enough time. :ohdear:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man polygon gave it a seven and the newest Halo a 9. Guess I'll have to buy an xbone. It's balanced by the low score for the latest call of duty " for not moving the series forward".

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 30, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Man polygon gave it a seven and the newest Halo a 9. Guess I'll have to buy an xbone. It's balanced by the low score for the latest call of duty " for not moving the series forward".

It's almost like a review is just a single reviewer's opinion and shouldn't be taken as an objective fact.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 30, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

It's almost like a review is just a single reviewer's opinion and shouldn't be taken as an objective fact.

It's almost like also Polygon is infamously known to take MS money to give whatever number MS realistically thinks they can get away with. It's gotta be either that or Polygon is staffed by the kind of people who are really sad the Zune isn't a thing anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's almost like also Polygon is infamously known to take MS money to give whatever number MS realistically thinks they can get away with. It's gotta be either that or Polygon is staffed by the kind of people who are really sad the Zune isn't a thing anymore.

Or it could be that the reviewer liked Halo 5 a lot.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Or that reviews scores are lovely

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Andrast posted:

Halo 5 has less content than halo reach and you can't even do splitscreen multiplayer.

It's not just a step back from previous installments, but a whole flight of stairs.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 30, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
On the other hand, XCX looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and it's reassuring to see the critical response is largely positive.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bloodychill posted:

On the other hand, XCX looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and it's reassuring to see the critical response is largely positive.

Overall complaints for XCX are:
Tutorial takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long
Open worldness isn't that great because enemies kill you real quick if you venture off the beaten path, so you pretty much have to stick to places around your level to be safe
You get the robots real late in the game and they make up a large part of the gameplay and would have made the game feel more open if they were to be gotten earlier.

They compare it to the mad max game and say it's like not getting the cars until 40 hours in. Or skyrim and not getting any talents right off the bat and having to wait.

The robots are a big part of the game and they really should have been introduced and given to you at the tutorial. Not only that they greatly increase your exploration capibilities of the world.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 30, 2015

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

? ? ? ?

I don't understand the concept

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Yo, EU goons!

For today only, the VC version of the first Xenoblade is 50% off (9,99€) at the Wii U eShop. Meanwhile, the eShop page for Xenoblade X says that you get get a 10€ discount if you own the VC version of the original and buy X by the 18th, so if you're going to buy the digital version of X anyway, you can basically grab the original for free.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

if a game is a AAA tentpole and/or mainstream (read: not anime) nerdbait like marvel stuff or star wars it gets an 8/10 guaranteed unless it's catastrophically broken. indie stuff gets judged fairly IMO but reviewers are sometimes a little too happy to poo poo on them if only because they can't or don't or won't criticize AAA stuff. they'll give between a 6 and a 10. and japanese/anime games get a flat 2 or so points off the score because anime bad lol, and because japanese devs are dying and can't punish reviewers for bad scores, leaving a final range of 5 to 8 out of 10

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 30, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

icantfindaname posted:

if a game is a AAA tentpole and/or mainstream (read: not anime) nerdbait like marvel stuff or star wars it gets an 8/10 guaranteed unless it's catastrophically broken. indie stuff gets judged fairly IMO but reviewers are sometimes a little too happy to poo poo on them if only because they can't or don't or won't criticize AAA stuff. they'll give between a 6 and a 10. and japanese/anime games get a flat 2 or so points off the score because anime bad lol, and because japanese devs are dying and can't punish reviewers for bad scores, leaving a final range of 5 to 8 out of 10

Fire Emblem Awakening got a metascore of 92 so that last point is kind of eh since it was pretty much anime. Maybe not highschool simulator anime, but still.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bloodychill posted:

Fire Emblem Awakening got a metascore of 92 so that last point is kind of eh since it was pretty much anime. Maybe not highschool simulator anime, but still.

It was really good anime though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

yeah maybe it's more like 6 to 8.5 for anime games. i'm also talking specifically about big establishment places like polygon, not some random nerd youtube reviewer who made it onto metacritic's list

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What the heck are you going on about icantfindaname?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Read a review that was angry about the music and saying you might as well hit the mute button (Gamespot) and then I took a listen of the OST on youtube and its actually godlike? Am I going crazy or are these people really hosed up.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Read a review that was angry about the music and saying you might as well hit the mute button (Gamespot) and then I took a listen of the OST on youtube and its actually godlike? Am I going crazy or are these people really hosed up.

these people are tremendously hosed up. and some of them are posting in this very thread.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It does sound more like an anime soundtrack than a videogame one, but it's still pretty drat good in its own right. Alot of people just seem to be very self-conscious about any guitar music with lyrics, as seen with all the awkward justifications for liking Metal Gear Rising: REVENGENACE's incredible soundtrack, as it is too 'buttrock' and not serious enough

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

It seems very divisive and largely depending on whether or not you like cheesy j-pop lyrics

Jim Sterling called it the best OST of the year

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Revengeance's soundtrack owns, and the one song I've heard from this game also owns.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

There's a whole part in the OP where I addressed this! Sawano's music is divisive. For as much people that love it there is a lot who hate it. It also doesn't help that he's following a game where there was pretty high praise for the soundtrack.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah what I heard of the soundtrack was like very hip hop influenced and had some cool shredding and engrish was pretty good as well. I don't know I think the music is pretty rad. I guess people just want boring fantasy orchestra music or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hiroyuki Sawano does this with a lot of series he's done work for and it's a very love it or hate it kind of style, I am one of the people who loves it.

• Locked thread