Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jestah
Dec 7, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Should politicians be forced to take a SAT test or some other structured middling form of academia and this be public knowledge?

I mean our current politicians are dumb-rear end villains. Wouldn't it be nice if you could remove half of that problem initially? And if not, wouldn't you rather live in a world where everyone knowingly elects retards and rock yourself to sleep at night?

Like for debates, have it be perfectly normal to list that score when someone is discussing global policy? I don't understand why this should be taboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Yes.

But the question is do you want politicians to balance the interests of different people and possibly to guide the discussion towards whatever the latest opinion poll says, or do you want politicians to have a clue about what they're managing so they can identify when some consensus opinion is just dumb and wrong and unrealistic as policy and actually lead.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Just look at what the Republicans did with "Dynamic Scoring" for the Congressional Budget Office. If they can't get out of a test, they'll re-write the rules for how it's graded.

Besides, Republicans have the infrastructure in place to sing from the rooftops if they were to do better than Democrats, and to decry the whole thing as a partisan ivory tower circlejerk if (when) they do worse. I can even see a scenario where doing poorly on such a test is regarded as a source of pride, and people refuse to vote for someone who has scored too highly.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I believe Ted Cruz had very good SAT and LSAT scores. So what does that accomplish?

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Jestah posted:

Should politicians be forced to take a SAT test or some other structured middling form of academia and this be public knowledge?
Finally a way to cement the superiority of white people from wealthy backgrounds in the political sphere.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Why stop there? We could require people to take a test before they vote, too, just like in good old 1868!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SedanChair posted:

I believe Ted Cruz had very good SAT and LSAT scores. So what does that accomplish?

Politicians being stupid is only one of many problems. I don't think Cruz is stupid, I think he's crazy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Why stop there? We could require people to take a test before they vote, too, just like in good old 1868!

there is a difference between saying people should not be allowed to express what their interests are and making sure the functionaries charged with actually implementing what the populace needs are smart enough to do their jobs.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm the picture of Hillary smiling

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also, you will find that the President of the United States is actually a pretty smart guy, as are many politicians. Intelligence or general knowledge tested by the SAT are not necessarily indicative of a person's worldview or ideology!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Also, you will find that the President of the United States is actually a pretty smart guy, as are many politicians. Intelligence or general knowledge tested by the SAT are not necessarily indicative of a person's worldview or ideology!

Why do we have to limit this to presidential politics? Of course the leader of any country is going to be a pretty intelligent person. It's the local representative from East Bumblefuck that I'm more concerned about -- the ones who deny science outright, use phrases like "legitimate rape" and generally demonstrate a middle schooler's understanding of the world. The President can be as smart as anything, but if the legislature is stacked with utter cretins, then he isn't going to be able to get anything done.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Why do we have to limit this to presidential politics? Of course the leader of any country is going to be a pretty intelligent person. It's the local representative from East Bumblefuck that I'm more concerned about -- the ones who deny science outright, use phrases like "legitimate rape" and generally demonstrate a middle schooler's understanding of the world. The President can be as smart as anything, but if the legislature is stacked with utter cretins, then he isn't going to be able to get anything done.

Stupidity is not the main factor at work here. You do have some genuinely stupid yokels like Virginia Foxx and Louie Gohmert out there, sure, but for the most part politicians are acting exactly as stupid as their base wants them to act. They know that climate change is man made and Obama was born in the US. Hell they probably even know that funding programs adequately leads to better outcomes. They just don't care, because they're evil. They don't care about anything but fundraising and winning elections. Stupid people want them to say stupid things and so they do.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Wanna see this for representatives. Don't know if anyone remembers this: http://gawker.com/5955371/this-baffling-ad-for-a-south-dakota-congresswoman-is-an-excellent-ad-for-her-democratic-opponent

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I can't see this for Reagan or Dubya.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This is the most American response to government corruption and dysfunction ever. "The problem with our society cannot be power imbalances among the citizenry! It's just that our leaders are somehow unworthy."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

blowfish posted:

there is a difference between saying people should not be allowed to express what their interests are and making sure the functionaries charged with actually implementing what the populace needs are smart enough to do their jobs.

So...SAT tests for mid-level bureaucratic functionaries? Politicians don't implement anything except Senate rule changes and committee reshufflings; their role is to act as representatives of the public in making the decisions for someone else to implement, and to choose the people to choose the people to do the implementing.

guidoanselmi posted:

I can't see this for Reagan or Dubya.

Bush's SAT score (which we know, thanks to the invasiveness of journalists) was above average - somewhat low for Yale, supposedly, but significantly above the mean. Comparing it to our current scores is somewhat meaningless since the SAT scoring mechanism has gone through several rounds of rescaling and inflation since GWB was in high school, so I'm not giving the raw number, but his overall score was probably in about the 80th percentile, or a bit higher.

Jestah
Dec 7, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Inferior Third Season posted:

Just look at what the Republicans did with "Dynamic Scoring" for the Congressional Budget Office. If they can't get out of a test, they'll re-write the rules for how it's graded.

Besides, Republicans have the infrastructure in place to sing from the rooftops if they were to do better than Democrats, and to decry the whole thing as a partisan ivory tower circlejerk if (when) they do worse. I can even see a scenario where doing poorly on such a test is regarded as a source of pride, and people refuse to vote for someone who has scored too highly.

No matter how hard they curb the test we'd still have the contrast between scores to out the dumb rear end.

I don't think that partisan infrastructure should dictate policy. That just seems like a recipe for disaster. Scoring slightly better shouldn't be that big of a deal and obviously intelligence isn't the only quality you should judge candidates by. I just think that if somehow the integrity of the test was maintained by an outside entity or something that we'd have a better grasp of how reasonable our candidates are.

I mean granted, governance doesn't require most of the tangible and measurable branches of the concept of intelligence. History proves that time and again. I just think the public should have a system that explicitly outs objectively stupid people.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
ah yes, objectively stupid people. Like that one guy who came up with the standardized testing of politicians. Undeniably, objectively, retarded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think testing will fix any of the things you think it will though. Anti-science politicians may or may not actually be morons. Some will say what will get them elected, some are dumb but the voters will vote for them because they agree with them anyway and the third option is that sometimes smart people believe some really dumb poo poo. You're assuming someone sufficiently intelligent would always believe the "Correct" thing.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 1, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Politicians should have to play each other in Jeopardy

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I dunno about the SATs, but a mandatory psych eval seems like it could do some good.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Jestah posted:

No matter how hard they curb the test we'd still have the contrast between scores to out the dumb rear end.
Even if we out the dumbasses, you're assuming that the electorate won't prefer them for being dumbasses. Anti-intellectualism is rampant in the U.S. already; this would just give a metric to score how anti-intellectual the candidates can be.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm sure politicians wouldn't be self-serving cronies of private power if only they knew more or were smarter!!!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It won't help but we should do it for comedy reasons, also it might humble/humiliate them a bit.

The right wing in the UK absolutely love to go on about how GCSEs are getting easier (possible, probably due to the proliferation of exam boards brought in by very stupid education ministers) and kids these days are so thick and they don't know how good they've got it not like in our day I was working down the mines for tuppence a day before I could crawl blah blah blah

Part of this involves quoting some really basic question from an exam paper that it's expected most students will get, because there have to be hard questions and easy questions to differentiate people of different abilities, except they willfully ignore that and pretend that's the caliber of all of them.

Anyway, Michael "Pob" Gove kept doing it in parliament so Ed Balls asked him some ever so slightly trickier ones (they're still embarassingly easy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNR0AuGnoUg

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 1, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

then why is the sat, a test known for only testing your ability to take it, the measure being suggested

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Actual career performance and public statements are better indicators of future performance. Unfortunately, there is so little info to gather outside of the federal races. How am I supposed to know whether a judge is any good unless they did something bad enough to make the news?

That said,

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Politicians should have to play each other in Jeopardy

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Literally the only thing the SAT measures is how good you are at taking the SAT. I don't think a lack of good test takers is what's wrong with American politics, op.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Imagine an adult telling you he should be trusted because he got a perfect score on the SAT, like holy moley

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

then why is the sat, a test known for only testing your ability to take it, the measure being suggested
Because the OP is American.

Swan Oat posted:

Imagine an adult telling you he should be trusted because he got a perfect score on the SAT, like holy moley
It's not supposed to be the sole qualification, but rather a minimum requirement.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jestah posted:

I mean granted, governance doesn't require most of the tangible and measurable branches of the concept of intelligence. History proves that time and again. I just think the public should have a system that explicitly outs objectively stupid people.

What makes you think there's a significant number of objectively stupid people in national politics? I think you've fallen into the partisan trap of "I disagree with what this person says, therefore they are dumb and stupid" and now you're just searching for solid proof to validate that your partisan beliefs are objectively more intelligent (something that conservatives sometimes do as well), as well as an excuse to exclude those who oppose those beliefs from politics on the grounds of the intellectual inferiority you believe them to possess. It's also typical to overestimate the degree that politicians believe what they say, and attribute real belief to what's actually a carefully focus-grouped statement that has been meticulously calibrated to the exact sensibilities of a large and enthusiastic group of likely voters, lobbyists, and donors.

Sure, the popular conception is that Bush II was dumb and stupid. But his SAT scores were in the top 20% of test takers that year, and he scored higher than Kerry on the SAT (and possibly Bill Clinton, but I can't find even a mention of where the score I found for him supposedly came from). And while Romney's SAT score isn't known, his grades at Harvard were supposedly extremely good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

Because the OP is American.

as am i, which is how i know that the SAT really only tests your ability to take the SAT and is thus a poo poo measure of intelligence

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
A world where below-median IQ people are barred from participation in public life and public figures are jeered for poor standardized test scores does seem like an improvement on the current society.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Actually, they should have to run through the Eliminator, op.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
this is the worst suggestion I have ever seen

may as well put all the dumbs in a field and shoot them while you are at it

part of the allure of democracy is that (outside of standing fees which usually a party will pay for you) anyone can run for office, regardless of background or means.

also your idea of what qualifies a person for office runs off of a normative testing system, which is bad because competency at a role or job has nothing to do with what those tests look for

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Primaries should be decided by knife-fighting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

What makes you think there's a significant number of objectively stupid people in national politics? I think you've fallen into the partisan trap of "I disagree with what this person says, therefore they are dumb and stupid" and now you're just searching for solid proof to validate that your partisan beliefs are objectively more intelligent (something that conservatives sometimes do as well), as well as an excuse to exclude those who oppose those beliefs from politics on the grounds of the intellectual inferiority you believe them to possess. It's also typical to overestimate the degree that politicians believe what they say, and attribute real belief to what's actually a carefully focus-grouped statement that has been meticulously calibrated to the exact sensibilities of a large and enthusiastic group of likely voters, lobbyists, and donors.

Sure, the popular conception is that Bush II was dumb and stupid. But his SAT scores were in the top 20% of test takers that year, and he scored higher than Kerry on the SAT (and possibly Bill Clinton, but I can't find even a mention of where the score I found for him supposedly came from). And while Romney's SAT score isn't known, his grades at Harvard were supposedly extremely good.

Again, why are you artificially restricting this to presidents or presidential candidates? Even senators tend to not be outright stupid. Representatives or state politicians, though... holy gently caress, there's some knuckle-draggers. It's not that I disagree with their opinions, it's that they're literally working off a completely distinct set of "facts" from reality itself.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Another Person posted:

this is the worst suggestion I have ever seen

may as well put all the dumbs in a field and shoot them while you are at it

part of the allure of democracy is that (outside of standing fees which usually a party will pay for you) anyone can run for office, regardless of background or means.

also your idea of what qualifies a person for office runs off of a normative testing system, which is bad because competency at a role or job has nothing to do with what those tests look for

Basically it would lead to a logical end point of replacing elected leaders followers with technocrats who get a set of tasks (rather than get replaced) via elections and possibly get removed by recall elections if they gently caress up.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

blowfish posted:

Basically it would lead to a logical end point of replacing elected leaders followers with technocrats who get a set of tasks (rather than get replaced) via elections and possibly get removed by recall elections if they gently caress up.

no it wouldn't

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Dubstep Jesus posted:

no it wouldn't

yeah, it really wouldn't

And if it did, that system would be even worse. A technocracy blurs the lines of accountability, which is important in democracy, and bureaucracy is resistant to policy change, especially if it puts their pet department at risk. Google 'Richard Crossman Civil Service' for an idea of how unhappy civil service gets when you attempt to change what they are doing. A government built around what is basically an unaccountable civil service would be full of ever expanding budgets, inefficient pet projects which the pilots refuse to let the sun set on and an ingrained resilience to any alternatives sounds like a nightmare.

Technocracy gets even worse when you consider the general background of what usually makes up the civil service or federal bureaucracy. Very white and middle class, typically from very similar social backgrounds. Even if democracy allows some ridiculous people through the door, it at least allows in a more representative picture of the total population compared to technocracy.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Mandatory drug tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

SedanChair posted:

Stupidity is not the main factor at work here. You do have some genuinely stupid yokels like Virginia Foxx and Louie Gohmert out there, sure, but for the most part politicians are acting exactly as stupid as their base wants them to act. They know that climate change is man made and Obama was born in the US. Hell they probably even know that funding programs adequately leads to better outcomes. They just don't care, because they're evil. They don't care about anything but fundraising and winning elections. Stupid people want them to say stupid things and so they do.

I think your post deserves a little more affection.

I agree with you. I guess it's possible in some sort of abstract way for there to maybe be a tiny group of genuinely stupid people involved in politics? I doubt there are many though. There's no shortage of intelligent politicians and intelligence/stupidity was never really the problem in any case. The real issue is that there is an abundance of morally loose, vastly cynical human beings who are willing to act in whatever way that they think may get them power. Those folks are then supported by any number of moneyed interests looking to make a return on their investment, and Bob's your uncle. Sometimes it's a short term investment over the long game, and sometimes they misread what the voting public wants or can be convinced of, sometimes it's something emotional, but for the most part this is how politics work.* I'm not even convinced that when a politician does something right and moral, even some fictitious example that is objectively and demonstrably so, that they're actually doing it because it's the correct thing to do. My guess is that 20% of the time, at best, they're doing or saying what they truly believe?

*And what clouds all that is even bad people aren't all bad all the time.

• Locked thread