Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I guess it is now pretty common for people to be diagnosed with bi polar, and every description of it that I have seen sounds very close to what you might describe as mood swings. What I am wondering is how they know whether some one has it or they are just plain moody and emotional. What kind of things do the bi polar people do that regular moody people dont? If you have known some one with this then please share your experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Meds.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Related: What's the difference between depression and just being a stupid lil' pussy bitch?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
No, you are making stuff up and didn't actually read any descriptions of it, because that isn't what it is at all. Maybe you are thinking of "borderline personality disorder". Bi-polar is a much more intense condition like schizophrenia, involving hallucinations and psychotic breakdowns

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
well goons really hate bipolar people so I guess there's that

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

a bay posted:

I guess it is now pretty common for people to be diagnosed with bi polar, and every description of it that I have seen sounds very close to what you might describe as mood swings. What I am wondering is how they know whether some one has it or they are just plain moody and emotional. What kind of things do the bi polar people do that regular moody people dont? If you have known some one with this then please share your experience

bipolar people can fly off the handle with little or no reason at all, which sucks because they actively look for things that are 'wrong', and are utterly convinced 'bad' things happen to them because of malice or spite.

an example: when i got accepted into college, the admissions office had sent my letter to an address that was a number off, but I was still able to access e-mail and registration services that said i got in. when i showed my mother the web page, she was convinced i had concocted a fake website to trick her into thinking i got in because ????, and demanded i get the acceptance letter from the admissions office, which was about an 8 hour drive, or she would kick me out because ????. i went and got the letter after calling in sick to work, and when i came back with it and explained the address issue, she acted happy and great and anytime i brought up the episode, it was blamed on me because "you are smart enough to do that sorta thing"

it was at that moment i understood how loving crazy my mother is and i live in fear that her genetics will turn me stark raving mad

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

OMFG FURRY posted:

bipolar people can fly off the handle with little or no reason at all, which sucks because they actively look for things that are 'wrong', and are utterly convinced 'bad' things happen to them because of malice or spite.

an example: when i got accepted into college, the admissions office had sent my letter to an address that was a number off, but I was still able to access e-mail and registration services that said i got in. when i showed my mother the web page, she was convinced i had concocted a fake website to trick her into thinking i got in because ????, and demanded i get the acceptance letter from the admissions office, which was about an 8 hour drive, or she would kick me out because ????. i went and got the letter after calling in sick to work, and when i came back with it and explained the address issue, she acted happy and great and anytime i brought up the episode, it was blamed on me because "you are smart enough to do that sorta thing"

it was at that moment i understood how loving crazy my mother is and i live in fear that her genetics will turn me stark raving mad

you made it past the risk of her drowning you in the tub so count ur blessings

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I once saw a bipolar person. I barely made it out alive...

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

SlipkPIe posted:

No, you are making stuff up and didn't actually read any descriptions of it, because that isn't what it is at all. Maybe you are thinking of "borderline personality disorder". Bi-polar is a much more intense condition like schizophrenia, involving hallucinations and psychotic breakdowns

Thanks a whole bunch, for this (sarcastic)

OMFG FURRY posted:

Thank you for sharing your story, this kind of stuff is interesting to me and it nice when people actually have some thing to contribute. And good luck with your genetics

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

a bay posted:

Thanks a whole bunch, for this (sarcastic)

Thank you for sharing your story, this kind of stuff is interesting to me and it nice when people actually have some thing to contribute. And good luck with your genetics

I'm irl bipolar AMA

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wait, so they sleep with both men AND women??!?!?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

plain blue jacket posted:

I'm irl bipolar AMA

What is some crazy stuff that has happened before that you would say was caused by the condition

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Look I don't really want to talk about it, but if you suck my cock and don't grimace when I pump litres of warm semen down your thirsty crevice. Maybe just maybe I'll explain it.

Thats the sort of behaviour one can expect from an MD or BP.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

a bay posted:

What is some crazy stuff that has happened before that you would say was caused by the condition

before being diagnosed and medicated a lot of extreme paranoia. At 15 I became convinced that my family was trying to kill me. I mean completely and utterly convinced. I'd get super manic and start house cleaning obsessively but then crash a couple of hours later and get suicidally depressed becoming totally convinced that everything was poo poo and came close to killing myself a couple of times.

No particularly good stories I'm afraid as I've always worked very hard on controlling my symptoms as much as possible. I've learned to recognise when I'm getting depressed/manic/paranoid and can handle it for the most part. Getting onto Lithium is genuinely one of the best things that ever happened to me.

The biggest misconception about bipolar disorder in my opinion stems from sufferers either not getting the correct treatment they need and/or not stick to their medication regime.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bay posted:

its the difference between a headache and having a big bloody hole in your head

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

OMFG FURRY posted:

interesting. you sound like a real little bitch who got hilariously owned by his mother

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

Related: What's the difference between depression and just being a stupid lil' pussy bitch?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

plain blue jacket posted:

I'm irl bipolar AMA

Do you do crazy poo poo like adopt pets and enroll for classes that you will not follow up on, or are you one of those smart bipolar people who have realized that having responsibility for another living thing is a poo poo idea?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bi polar people are Eskimos who are sexually attracted to both men and women.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Basically op when you're manic you brain is stuffing itself with homemade Columbian white, and then yuo crash, only it goes in cycles and aumtimes you hear voices tellin u that everyone can read your thoughts and nothing is safe and you need to RUN and VIOLENTLY DEFEND YOURSELF and ALSO HELL IS REAL AND YOU'RE THERE RIGHT NOW

Mood swings are for little bitches who aren't hard enough for real crazy.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

I browsed SA once during a manic episode after being awake for 48 hours and started hearing "kill you're father" out loud. The niggerstomper58 post is absolute truth.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Do you do crazy poo poo like adopt pets and enroll for classes that you will not follow up on, or are you one of those smart bipolar people who have realized that having responsibility for another living thing is a poo poo idea?

I have 2 dogs and 2 birds and I look after them pretty well. Never heard of this enrolling business before but I'll give it a try.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Best Giraffe posted:

I browsed SA once during a manic episode after being awake for 48 hours and started hearing "kill you're father" out loud. The niggerstomper58 post is absolute truth.

get beefy bitch

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

My step mother was diagnosed with bi polar disorder and she was an annoying oval office who would flip out hardcore about everything, but she never ever had good moments from what I saw, she was just a raging bitch constantly.

Then when she got meds for it she never took them, and when she did, she'd only take half of her prescribed dose, since that's great for you and everything.

She also once argued with me that whales were fish. She said and I quote "I took a marine biology class in highschool I would know!"

if you didn't guess she's also loving stupid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm bi-Polar, I like both Orange Dry and Raspberry Lime

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

they generate their own magnetic field

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

a bay posted:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder-in-adults/index.shtml

Bipolar moods, especially mania, go way outside what normal people experience, unless they do drugs. A manic person can be incredibly high energy, talking fast, jumping topics rapidly and generally being impulsive. Mania is like hyperactive ADD but worse. They could be happy, giddy or really irritable. Impulsive behavior is a real issue- sexual promiscuity, gambling, spending wads of money, drinking and doing drugs. Manic people will sometimes stay awake for days, and sometimes go psychotic and start having paranoid delusions.

Depression in Bipolar disorder is way more easy to understand, it's pretty much like regular depression. They have low energy, less interest in doing things they like, etc. Like normal depression, it can be pretty severe, to the point where people want to kill themselves.

Other states occur as well, called rapid cycling and mixed states. Rapid cycling is where there are extreme changes of mood over the course of a few hours, or even minutes. Mixed states are where someone is manic and depressed at the same time, with features of both, say up and agitated for two days but with extreme sadness. Mixed states are unsurprisingly correlated with suicide, because they can be depressed enough to want to die and energetic and impulsive enough to actually do it.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
OP is bipolar curious

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

AxeBreaker posted:

Impulsive behavior is a real issue- sexual promiscuity, gambling, spending wads of money, drinking and doing drugs.

That all makes sense to me wxcept for this part because people who are not bi polar do those all the time so to blame that stuff on mania seems a little bit like making excuses

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

a bay posted:

That all makes sense to me wxcept for this part because people who are not bi polar do those all the time so to blame that stuff on mania seems a little bit like making excuses

0.those things give a rush but those ppl are just failures who couldnt hack a rela mania. fukc thm

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

a bay posted:

It's and thing- bipolar people have several of that cluster of symptoms at once. Bipolar people can get so out of whack that they don't stop until they get exhausted and crash a few days later, or until they get committed and put on meds. They just live in a different emotional world than you, the highs are higher, the lows are lower, and during an episode, self control can be right out the window. There is something biochemically broken in the brain- bipolar people have been shown to gain brain mass after treatment.

It can be difficult to tell from ADHD (Bipolar is more severe, and supersedes ADHD as a diagnosis) and from substance problems especially Meth and Coke. If someones abusing substances they have to get clean/dried out all the way for there to be a diagnosis. Usually with bi-polar people they'll get worse instead of calming down after they clean up.

To get diagnosed with bipolar disorder, you have to have such obviously bad mood problems that it fucks with your life. This includes not a few people who are, at least temporarily, bat poo poo screaming nutter crazy. These people ind up restrained in the psych ward until whatever med they are given kicks in. Untreated bipolar people can be huge, huge trainwrecks of human beings. I have a friend I strongly suspect of being Bipolar (stays up for days without drugs, alcohol issues, pothead, gambling problems, super loud fast talker- also disappears for long periods of time maybe a depression thing, promiscuous, prone to random shopping adventures) and while she's nice I can only stand her for a couple of hours, she's way too high energy. Being around a manic person can be overwhelming, or like walking on eggshells if they are the irritable sort.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I think that if I knew a guy who had bi polar and he sucked off a gang of dudes then I might be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about being gay as long as he did it while he was on a maniac episode

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Bipolar disorder is great lemme tell ya. Spending 100's of dollars on drugs in binge weekends and vast amounts of more mundane materials as well ftw. Mania deluding you into thinking the absolute worst decisions are the best. Depressive states so vast and engulfing you feel that you've plumbed some new depth of the emotional void. And with type 2 sometimes you'll get these both within a span of 48 hours!

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 30, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
from what i can gather bipolar is like doing a bunch of coke except without needing any coke

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Shaquin posted:

Bipolar disorder is great lemme tell ya. Spending 100's of dollars on drugs in binge weekends and vast amounts of more mundane materials as well ftw. Mania deluding you into thinking the absolute worst decisions are the best. Depressive states so vast and engulfing you feel that you've plumbed some new depth of the emotional void. And with type 2 sometimes you'll get these both within a span of 48 hours!

that seems like a dumb way to make your brain work. why would god do that to people

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A moody person is able to:

- graduate high school
- not get booted out of the military
- not walk all over town in nothing but a pair of shorts for four days preaching to random people about Jesus out of an Islamic book
- not keep loving 17yos and making babies they give no shits about
-not break into their family's houses and pawn poo poo for suboxen
- stay in rehab that their family pulled strings to get them into for more than 3 days before deciding that they can't possibly be away from one of their kids that long but gave exactly zero shits about the kid prior to going to rehab and regularly went months without seeing them
- hold a job for more than a couple days at a time
- not get removed from family's house by 3 car loads of cops
- talk to people without lying compulsively
- take prescription medications on a regular basis and not decide to stop taking it so they can do all the fun stuff above
- not live in a homeless shelter

My bi-polar brother - in-law is unable to do any of the above.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 30, 2015

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

that seems like a dumb way to make your brain work. why would god do that to people

The brain is unimaginably complex and minute differences in neurological makeup and chemical balance can completely cripple your life. The good part is that meds for bipolar have come so far that you can manage it more or less completely. But as note above sometimes your brain will tell you to stop taking them, and you might because maybe you feel they are holding you back or some delusional garbage.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
All women are devious sociopaths who will claim they have bipolar disorder as they devour their next victim.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

from what i can gather bipolar is like doing a bunch of coke except without needing any coke

yea friand precisely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Best Giraffe posted:

I hope your father rests in peace.

• Locked thread