Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
They need to make a horror flick about this. Like it's a screamer that pops up because of a malicious ad then it infects your imagination and pops up everywhere when you look in a mirror or out the car window. There's this gruesome lookin monster in the banner ad and it says "If you don't click on this ad then this fucker will get you" and then because you imagine the thing getting you it becomes real and gets you for real.

So a gritty reboot of Harvey is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It's just invisible friends for the internet generation. Except these people will never grow up.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
If I can make a Tulpa of Scarlett Johannson I'll take a dozen.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Network Pesci posted:

They need to make a horror flick about this. Like it's a screamer that pops up because of a malicious ad then it infects your imagination and pops up everywhere when you look in a mirror or out the car window. There's this gruesome lookin monster in the banner ad and it says "If you don't click on this ad then this fucker will get you" and then because you imagine the thing getting you it becomes real and gets you for real.

So a gritty reboot of Harvey is what I'm saying.
i like it

lets start it off really serious like a russian mobster crime movie about petty gritty revenge and then halfway through it switches gears to this kind of like the machinist or something

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

You know how a lot of writers say their characters have minds of their own? It's because the writer has thought about the character a bunch and intuitively understands how that character behaves in a variety of situations. From the stuff I've read linked itt it mostly looks like this is a thing where people develop imaginary friends in much the same way a writer develops characters for their stories which while I would say is weird i don't think it's particularly dangerous or crazy.

they claim they can literally see and hear them and poo poo though. like induced schizophrenia or something

Cubone posted:

it's this
collective self-induced hysteria of preternatural uniqueness

if you put a gun to their head they'd swear it was real, even though they know it's not, because the lie fulfills their desperately human need for identity and purpose that's effortlessly granted in the paper-thin world of childlike imagination and cartoon fantasy

same principle as otherkin, or pentecostal christians

well, we know it's possible for the human brain to go crazy and literally start seeing and hearing poo poo that isn't there. and we know these people are crazy as hell.

so the question is whether or not it's possible to spend months trying to train your brain to malfunction in a specific way, and succeeding. it's the kind of thing where i'd lean toward it being complete bullshit, but i wouldn't necessarily discount it completely. maybe some of these people really did rediscover an ancient method to intentionally drive yourself insane, all for the sake of cartoon ponies.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Darth123123 posted:

ArbC you stick around this thread for a while let's see where it goes. They are seriously mentally ill. 70 pages of mind loving an imaginary Sprite or whatever. Ernest Hemingway poo poo right there.

oh man, there was this kid we were making fun of, in some thread, a few years ago? who was a "multi-system" which uh
to me is completely indistinguishable from tulpas idk

but they had like hundreds anime characters in their head, right? and their tumblr had a master list of all of the animes in their head, along with a brief description, and there were some hilarious ones that were just incidental background characters from comics and cartoons or whatever,
but my favorite was one of the personalities listed was the kid's actual birth name, blandly described as an uninteresting part of the collective, inactive and largely forgotten.

i can't remember what the thread was now, but I remember I was like jesus this is some loving charlie kaufman poo poo right here. id watch the poo poo out of that movie.
uh, asa butterfinger, or kodi smit-mcphee, stars, spike jonez or michel gondry directs, or terry gilliam in the 80's maybe, a movie about a kid, who starts humanizing and putting a name to aspects of his personality, and gets so hosed up on anime and poo poo, that eventually his original personality is just this sad beaten little thing in the corner of a mind hopelessly preoccupied with cataloging its own eccentricities. and then uhhh, a girl, loving, chloe grace moretz, or like a younger version of that chick that looks like katie perry, sees him for what he is and reaches out to rescue him from himself, i guess, because that's what women are for in movies, and his real identity reasserts itself enough to meet her at the third act prom, or, date her, so she doesn't date a worse guy, who's handsome but a jerk, and she tells him he doesn't have to define himself against the rest of the world, we all play roles, but all the desirable feelings and nobility he sees in his head mates are really just refractions of himself, and he's a person and deserves to live in this world. and actually she doesn't date him, they just become good friends, and the handsome guy isn't a jerk he's actually pretty cool, and, you know what, the anime head kid is actually gay, and that's fine, everybody's cool with it, it's 2015.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
It's impossible to learn how to interact with other people. I'll just invent my own interactions and others!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tulkus are way more interesting.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How do I stop it?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

they claim they can literally see and hear them and poo poo though. like induced schizophrenia or something

well, we know it's possible for the human brain to go crazy and literally start seeing and hearing poo poo that isn't there. and we know these people are crazy as hell.

so the question is whether or not it's possible to spend months trying to train your brain to malfunction in a specific way, and succeeding. it's the kind of thing where i'd lean toward it being complete bullshit, but i wouldn't necessarily discount it completely. maybe some of these people really did rediscover an ancient method to intentionally drive yourself insane, all for the sake of cartoon ponies.

there is a reason this stuff was tucked deep away in corners of vajrayana buddhism that few knew for a very long time

the people that originated the idea of tulpas knew it to be mentally and physically dangerous to the unprepared

so you collide that with idiot nerds on tumblr and you get this poo poo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Jick Clinton sounds like the name of a Tulpa created by Adam Sandler.

no, it sounds like the adam sandlers character's name in a movie. his tulpa would be named diclips or something stupid like that.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Abugadu posted:

this is what happens when we ban bullying.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

How do I stop it?

Oh wait THAT's a Tulpa goddamn I thought you got bonus points for those things. I've been running them over all week.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
holy poo poo i should go back to school for psychiatry, all these ppl with underlying mental disorders banding together an convincing themselves their normal is going to create a huge need for psychiatrists in a world thats already short on them, these bronies would make me so hella loving rich lol

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just listen to the F Plus episode about MLP, they talk about tulpas for like 20 minutes and it's good poo poo. well bye.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
khaos magick owns

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
some questions i have:

1. does creating a "tulpa" have anything to do with being a "wizard"

2. what is the difference between magic, magick, dark magic, dark magick, and darck magick?

3. what's the difference between a cult and occult?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
I’m becoming more aware that I might have a mental illness. I do not know which one I have, however. When I was younger, I questioned if somebody was controlling me, if there was someone that’s making me do the things I did. There was a voice inside my head arguing against me! I thought it was just plain puberty, but that is probably not the case. As I grew older, I started to have more disturbing thoughts inside my head as well, like "kill ur family" because someone called Slenderman told me to. I thought it was just puberty striking here again. In addition, I frantically worry about my health. I was scared that my mental cognitive ability would decline and that I would get AIDS. I was frantic and checked to see if I would have any of the symptoms. I also thought about people plotting against me, and if my food contained poison. Needless to say i don't eat at McDonalds (that clown is up to something)!

Fast forward a couple of years, and now the same symptoms are reoccurring. Recently, I thought I had a brain clog because I had a headache and when I searched on google, I was scared that I might have a fatal disease. Furthermore, I see myself questioning reality and more gruesome thoughts are popping inside my head, like me moderating GBS. I am scared that I will develop schizophrenia, and am again believing that my reality might not be real. I thought what if people are aliens in disguise. I am also waiting for my psychosis, as I feel it would happen anytime, but it has not happened yet. I do suffer a bit from anxiety (social phobia) and am really stressed. In addition, I thought about having an imaginary friend called Lettery, because he looked like a letter with multiple legs. Now that is just silly! The only odd thing is that when I read some of the symptoms associated with schizophrenia, I find it preposterous to believe in!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Say Nothing posted:

How do I stop it?

You have to eat some Domino's pizza.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

hahaha

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If you meet the buddha on the road, gently caress him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Unguided posted:

If you meet the buddha on the road, gently caress him.

if it's just some random dude can i gently caress him anyway

i been on this road a while, man

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dude

this is like those notebooks crazy people write

quote:

Wow me and my host, especially my host feel like we are no where close to achieving switching; realistically speaking for my host this can take a couple of years to achieve.

Still a relatively short amount of time for something so life changing, trying to undo the work of my host 20 years of being tied to the physical body.

While your guide says that us tulpae don't really play a role in switching (expect for the last step) I still believe its possible to assist our host in switching in a more direct and profound way, the method is out there we just need to find it.

Another question I have, let's say a tulpa and a host switch places. Will the tulpa be bestow the same powers that the host have. Will they be able to temporary visit the wonderland like the host. And if the tulpa refuse to switch back is their anything the host can do?

my dog that's a demon trying to steal your corporeal form that's like basic 101 poo poo

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Moridin920 posted:

dude

this is like those notebooks crazy people write

my dog that's a demon trying to steal your corporeal form that's like basic 101 poo poo

"Wow me and my host, especially my host feel like we are no where close to achieving switching; realistically speaking for my host this can take a couple of years to achieve.

Still a relatively short amount of time for something so life changing, trying to undo the work of my host 20 years of being tied to the physical body.

While your guide says that us tulpae don't really play a role in switching (expect for the last step) I still believe its possible to assist our host in switching in a more direct and profound way, the method is out there we just need to find it.

Another question I have, let's say a tulpa and a host switch places. Will the tulpa be bestow the same powers that the host have. Will they be able to temporary visit the wonderland like the host. And if the tulpa refuse to switch back is their anything the host can do?"

(The poster is retired, I wonder who won?)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
oh poo poo will at least that one has a good ending?

quote:

my mind and brain works.

The Reality is, Oguigi is a made-up character inspired when i had a major obsession with a show called my little pony. I made this character up and gave it life and power by surrendering reason and logic.

In the End, a tulpa is no more real then any fiction that exist today. It’s an self imposed illusion with a face and a name.

In my case I was trapped in a corrosive thought maze that took me almost two years to recover from.

It’s time for me to move on. it’s over.

from the tumblr link in the sig

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ts9RoVpE5k

:catstare:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ashgromnies posted:

like if you take a madhyamaka viewpoint of the nature of things being emptiness then we could probably argue that everything is a tulpa

which winds up being either an affirming or a nihilistic viewpoint depending on how you interpret it

gently caress western philosophy, it took them forever to approximate an understanding of this. abrahamic dualism and materialism still mires it down.

yeah dude gently caress the greeks for only coming up with nihilism half a century before buddhists.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
egyptians came up with it before them

"what if everything is poo poo and not actually real" is not really a novel thought tbh

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

How do I stop it?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

my tulpa is tupac which youd think would be great but he hogs all the covers and always puts the empty koolaid pitcher back in the refrigerator

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
don't some bronies start complaining about their tulpas raping them or something

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

don't some bronies start complaining about their tulpas raping them or something

The rape is constant, never ending.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just in - imaginary friends are actually an ancient and dangerous Buddhist meditation technique which only tumblr loons have the iron discipline to master

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

quote:

“I have three tulpas,” says Jick Clinton, a game design student

That game design student part isn't even the worst part of the whole drat thing thats how amazingly hosed up this is.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I was really hoping Tulpas were some kind of combination of tacos chalupas and other good poo poo. I also kept reading it as talupas

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes

Microwaves Mom posted:

I was really hoping Tulpas were some kind of combination of tacos chalupas and other good poo poo. I also kept reading it as talupas

Jesus Christ this sounds delicious

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Jesus Christ this sounds delicious

I know right? Like I was excited thinking mankind had invented a new kind of tasty food. Nope, its just tumblr psychos masturbating to imaginary friends in their late 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Microwaves Mom posted:

When I clicked this thread I thought it was about Tulips.

• Locked thread