Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was talking to my dad at home about car maintenance stuff, and remembered somethings to be thankful for -- that I never have to wrestle with the Z06's battery again. It sounds so nice when it's your polar moment at stake, but when you have to change the drat thing and the PO put in a battery without a strap...
Took me a good 40min wrestling it out. You could maybe get in 4 fingers on each side front and back. I dumbly tried for 20 min just trying to brute force it that way, but kept snagging on something that I easily could have negotiated with a free hand. Finally I gave up and slowly snaked a rope under the battery and managed to tug it up and out. FFS. At least I did the next owner a solid by getting a battery with a handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm going to go look at a Volvo C30 after work this afternoon, I've had enough of my e46 falling apart (shouldn't expect much else at 200k) and being treated like a BMW driver even though I rarely drive like one.

Downside I'm already trying to mentally backpedal out of spending 5k on a car. Why am I so cheap? :(

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Black blue Friday, I guess all the idiots that live around Laguna Seca were shopping so we had a rare 105db limit track day. I'm really envious of the ACR guys though, those Kumhos have a much better performance envelope and carry way more heat than the lovely Pirellis.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Mother fucker. Some redneck trailer trash in a POS Dodge Ram truck hauling a bunch of loving rocks uncovered had one fly off and hit my car. No loving plate on the trailer to write down. I tried to get him to pull over and he wouldn't. Took a bunch of pictures on my phone but none of the are too clear. Luckily the debtis hit the plastic trim on my bumper and not the paint.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Spent almost 12 hours doing some wiring in my garage yesterday and holy gently caress am I feeling it today. I was trying to stay ahead of the guy thats framing/insulating it so it was a marathon. My neck and back are broken from standing on a ladder working over my head all day. I almost miss doing leaf cleanuhahahahaha yea right, So glad Im done with that poo poo. I feel old today though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:perfect:

drat the last couple months have flown by, just doesn't feel like it should be December yet. Looks like I'll be able to go home for Christmas this year since I've covered ALL the other holidays. Now to figure out how long I can stay up there and if I should drive to save money or just fly up and not have to worry as much about weather.

Did pretty good for Black Friday this year. Bought some Christmas presents and a year refill for my cheap rear end pre-paid phone plan. No PC parts or car parts this year although the suspension for my future project did arrive yesterday.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Hahahahahaha. At a site testing their lovely cables and I am picking up the radio station down the street through their CAT5E.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had a Kerbal Space Program! And it was perfect! Perfect in every way!

Kerbal will always be perfect. In every way.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Check out this beautiful freaking lock

The landlord of the hackerspace I help run keeps putting lovely Master locks on the loading dock gate. They keep breaking, so I went out and bought an Abus. It's heavy! I love it. It's almost too nice to sit outside.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Abus and Medeco are amazing locks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Check out this beautiful freaking lock

The landlord of the hackerspace I help run keeps putting lovely Master locks on the loading dock gate. They keep breaking, so I went out and bought an Abus. It's heavy! I love it. It's almost too nice to sit outside.

I've gotten into the habit of watching lockpick videos on youtube, and the modern abus locks are seriously good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqoJNrId7g

Most masterlocks are basically for show. I tried out the quick pick stuff on a masterlock i didn't have the combination for, and was able to open it in under 2 minutes. First time i've ever tried picking a lock and after watching a few youtube videos it might as well not even be there.

WARNING: turn autoplay off, or the next thing you know, you'll know almost everything about lockpicks and be 4 hours late for something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Abus and Medeco are amazing locks.

I wanted a Medeco, but it needed to be a four dial combination lock.

Powershift posted:

I've gotten into the habit of watching lockpick videos on youtube, and the modern abus locks are seriously good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqoJNrId7g

Most masterlocks are basically for show. I tried out the quick pick stuff on a masterlock i didn't have the combination for, and was able to open it in under 2 minutes. First time i've ever tried picking a lock and after watching a few youtube videos it might as well not even be there.

I love this dude's goofy overproduced intro sequences.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I wanted a Medeco, but it needed to be a four dial combination lock.

I love this dude's goofy overproduced intro sequences.

I think this is the lock you have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKn7M3zzFdE

Basically, it's machined tighter than the masterlock so you can't get a shim in. Still nearly useless.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Medeco is like wizard poo poo, they're so cool. If anyone has the chance to be a locksmith apprentice or work in a lock shop, do it; seriously awesome education for tinker-type people.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Where is a good site to go look up the strength of square/rectangular tubes. I am wanting to build a cycle-kart and try to keep it as light as possible, aluminum is out the picture (I dont have the equipment to do so) and chrome-moly is possible. Though I know the NHRA says chrome-moly is only tig weldable, but I have heard that mig welding is possible. I am not building a hot rod or drag car, just a small cart with a 6.5 HF predator engine.

Basically, its got to haul itself and my fat rear end around in it, with a small engine. I am guessing the whole project will end up around 600 lbs with rider, cart and every thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

I think this is the lock you have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKn7M3zzFdE

Basically, it's machined tighter than the masterlock so you can't get a shim in. Still nearly useless.

This one is YE labelled rather than ZB, but you're right. Still, "less likely to jam than the Master" is my only demand.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where is a good site to go look up the strength of square/rectangular tubes. I am wanting to build a cycle-kart and try to keep it as light as possible, aluminum is out the picture (I dont have the equipment to do so) and chrome-moly is possible. Though I know the NHRA says chrome-moly is only tig weldable, but I have heard that mig welding is possible. I am not building a hot rod or drag car, just a small cart with a 6.5 HF predator engine.

Basically, its got to haul itself and my fat rear end around in it, with a small engine. I am guessing the whole project will end up around 600 lbs with rider, cart and every thing.

You want to calculate the bending stress of a uniformly distributed load on each beam segment. Use this page to calculate each segment.

Or get someone to design it in an FEA environment. Honestly that's probably your best bet, come to think.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just got frontpaged on Jalopnik, Orlove promoted one of my insane stories (thankfully with a photograph that I took).

I tried for awhile to do this with actual serious literal writing on Opposite Lock, but uh, this is fine too. It's fine.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-overhead-fluorescent-lights-flickered-to-life-sett-1744631178

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

You want to calculate the bending stress of a uniformly distributed load on each beam segment. Use this page to calculate each segment.

Or get someone to design it in an FEA environment. Honestly that's probably your best bet, come to think.

Just throwing in absolute max of ball park figuring - I should be more than fine. There will be a few cross members, but according to this, I can get away with out it (but I wont). I mean, my math isn't the best, but I think I can get away with 12 gauge 2x4 rectangular tube and ill just use some angle iron for the cross members. The deflection is extremely low, less than 1/16th of an inch (if my math is right) and thats if I dropped it fully weighted from 3 foot in the air.

I think that acceptable, as I figure my welds would break before the frame itself bends

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
If you are building from square tubing I don't know of commercially available chrome molybdenum. As such plain old carbon steel would probably be your only option.

Steel Tube Institute has section properties on their Web site.

Depending on complexity of the frame you could either do hand calcs and over build it or FEA like Adiabatic said.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Timmy Cruise posted:

If you are building from square tubing I don't know of commercially available chrome molybdenum. As such plain old carbon steel would probably be your only option.

Steel Tube Institute has section properties on their Web site.

Depending on complexity of the frame you could either do hand calcs and over build it or FEA like Adiabatic said.

I found round tube (rectangular is out), which I could use, but that screws with all the plans. The frame isn't overly complex, I think I will be fine with 2 frame rails and 2 end pieces and 2 cross members. I think I will try to find my weight savings in decorative part. Part of cycle karts are making it look like cars of the 1900-1910's so I can look for weight savings in the "decorative" part.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

gently caress you, Mazda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usd1E-7y7cc

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

"You sure we need shielded cable?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz6laoLC9LY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:colbert: Yes, you do.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: Yes, you do.

It was picking up the AM station down the street on every line. Easy money for us.

At a different site now and the painter painted over all my loving jacks. I'm trying to explain to my girl that any white painter is either on meth, heroin, crack or a combo of the 3.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just got frontpaged on Jalopnik, Orlove promoted one of my insane stories (thankfully with a photograph that I took).

I tried for awhile to do this with actual serious literal writing on Opposite Lock, but uh, this is fine too. It's fine.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-overhead-fluorescent-lights-flickered-to-life-sett-1744631178

nice job man!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It was picking up the AM station down the street on every line. Easy money for us.

At a different site now and the painter painted over all my loving jacks. I'm trying to explain to my girl that any white painter is either on meth, heroin, crack or a combo of the 3.

If the run is longer than a couple feet, I always suggest shielded.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
THIS DECEMBER THREAD DIDN'T START IN DECEMBER :sassargh:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
It's always great when nobody actually reads your email and I'm now getting a region wide email from a vice president asking if we can do something that we already said we'd do.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

1500quidporsche posted:

It's always great when nobody actually reads your email and I'm now getting a region wide email from a vice president asking if we can do something that we already said we'd do.

I'm getting kinda bored of sending emails asking clear, concise questions and getting no answers to them but a whole bunch of other irrelevant poo poo back in return. I then have to get blunt and look like a moody prick when all I want to know is the simplest of answers.

Like tonight I get to sit about and get paid to do nothing because the person who requested my presence didn't take heed of my advice/line of questioning that basically said "...the place you're doing this thing at has people paid to do that all for you, I don't really need to exist in this..." But here I am, getting paid overtime to do nothing and whenever we need more money to do the essential poo poo it gets slapped down because there's been an overspend somewhere else. :v:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

1500quidporsche posted:

I am always thankful that I work for a 2 person company. I would lose my job in a corporate environment because i wouldn't be able to refrain from responding to that email with a copy of the original email.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've done exactly that in a corporate environment.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, that's pretty standard.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Christ this thing keeps growing, there's now the managers of six different departments cc'd in.

I'm praying like hell I hear back from the city job I applied for.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Modus Man posted:

I am always thankful that I work for a 2 person company. I would lose my job in a corporate environment because i wouldn't be able to refrain from responding to that email with a copy of the original email.

My wife runs a non profit with 3 employees that does program evaluation among other things. They always get this poo poo. My wife told the employees not to do it but to let her know so she could forward the original email with a short message. My favorite story is when the research director answered a bunch of questions for someone in an email that was shared with everyone in the project and a couple of the questions were asked again around 5 or 6 times by the original asker's boss with my wife forwarding the original answers every time without comment. Fun hearing my wife on conference calls do the same thing, "if you check the email dated whatever, I've answered that question and no, it isn't feasible".

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is true to form, meaning a Good Read. You're talking serious literal writing on OppLock for like car reviews or op-eds?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cakefool posted:

I've done exactly that in a corporate environment.

Glad I'm not the only one who does that!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Modus Man posted:

That's allowed y'know. Depends how snarky you are with the words preceding the copied email though as to whether the other person thinks you're a dick or helpful. There's a fine line.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ah poo poo it's December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

88h88 posted:

That's allowed y'know. Depends how snarky you are with the words preceding the copied email though as to whether the other person thinks you're a dick or helpful. There's a fine line.

My experience has been they'll think you're a dick 50% of the time regardless of the tone of your response. I've been told I'm not a team player because I've painstakingly and politely illustrated we couldn't do stuff we objectively could not do regardless of the amount of money involved. But then I sarcastically ask whether somebody we're working with is an ***elite*** or ***ELITE*** client so I know how far to escalate it and get a serious response back.

• Locked thread