Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

when i was interning at a certain french corporation, i had three meetings with a certain individual in order to go over a spreadsheet i made for the 200 computers that i had documented and prepped for either recycling or donation, and two of the meetings we went down to storage and i showed him the different stacks with their labels and what they meant

then the day after my last day he calls me so i can refresh his memory on it because "he misplaced his notes again"

literally the only reason why i didn't sign into kronos and log 15 minutes of paid time is because my boss was my mother in law's friend's husband from church so i didn't want to look like a shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

So this will work to install on a new, blank drive that's newly being added to a machine?

Went ahead and ordered the SSD, sticking with the 850 EVO since it's been so good on my laptop.

It should. I'm not sure how many changes trigger Microsoft's "it's a different machine" switch.

kastein posted:

Computer chat again, haha...

I'm running a quality c. 1992-2008 build, myself. Intel Q9450 (4 cores yo!), 8GB RAM, Asus P5E64 WS Evolution motherboard, like an 80GB HDD because I don't even have a torrent program on my system (seriously, it's got like 60GB free), and five, count em, FIVE Quadro NVS290 video cards*. Each dual output. All y'all who have less monitor outputs on their computer than they have fingers are loving scrubs

And it's all stuffed into a hugenormous InWin Q500 case from the early 90s that I'm pretty sure will survive a nuclear attack.

* I don't game, so I don't really need 3d acceleration. All I need is monstrous amounts of screen real estate for my electrical engineering CAD software. These cards are $25-30 each refurbed on amazon and you can get them in PCIe x1 and x16, so you can use drat near every slot on a modernish motherboard.

Those Quadro NVS cards are pretty good. We used a lot of them here at work when everybody wanted dual monitors, until the HPs we were buying started to all come with 1 or 2 Displayport ports. Now we just buy the $20 Displayport to VGA or DVI adapter for $15-20. Still plenty of the Quadros in use. They do have the advantage of not using system memory for VRAM. The only thing I don't like about them is that they require the Nvidia driver to make the second monitor work. The MS generic drivers will only make one display work.

literally a fish posted:

My old desktop just prior to the upgrade:

Power Mac G5 case gutted with an mATX PC board backplate kit installed it was neat and won me a casemod competition for stealthiness but was a bit capped out on GPU power while running a 1440p monitor.

I like it.
Those G5/Mac Pro cases are huge. Not quite a full tower, but definitely bigger than a minitower. I wonder how much of a pain doing this to a Mac Pro case would be? They have the drives that slide into SATA connectors on a back-plane. I guess you could just use right-angle SATA cables and still have room. Power supply would have to be a bit of a hack.
Should be able to get plenty of cooling with all the perforated aluminum. Heck, just heat pipe everything to the aluminum case!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to presents. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

That right there is p. drat cool.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

SlimManFat posted:

THIS DECEMBER THREAD DIDN'T START IN DECEMBER :sassargh:

Yes it did, don't blame me for living in the past :p

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I'm going to go look at a Volvo C30 after work this afternoon, I've had enough of my e46 falling apart (shouldn't expect much else at 200k) and being treated like a BMW driver even though I rarely drive like one.

Downside I'm already trying to mentally backpedal out of spending 5k on a car. Why am I so cheap? :(
Buy a Saab!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Buy a Saab!

But I want to be able to buy spare parts :saddowns:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Buy two Saabs!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who does that!

I've done this many times, usually to the same individual. He just says "thanks!" and goes on about his day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I don't think it's much of an issue, what with places like Neo Brothers.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've done this many times, usually to the same individual. He just says "thanks!" and goes on about his day.

I'm the person asking this, and I'm the person with this response so long as you don't preface the forwarded e-mail with something like "Here it is, maybe try reading your e-mail more thoroughly, rear end HOLE.".

I skim pretty much every e-mail I get sent - 80% of them don't have a lick to do with me, 15% only impact something one of my teammates is doing, 4% apply to my work but don't require responses or impact it, and only the 1% has factual content requiring careful reading and thought before sending to the bit bucket. Which isn't to say I carefully read the 1%, no, it means that the torrent of e-mail I get daily has trained me to ignore pretty much everything that comes through unless it's from someone working on the same thing I'm working on at the moment, or a response to an e-mail I've sent out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man id like to hook up my old XPS tower to have as a backup computer (and/or sell) but I lost the drat plastic hard drive caddy they use and apparently they're unobtanium

might have to get a set of calipers and see if I can whip something up in solidworks

E: or maybe i could check ebay instead of decade old google results :doh:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sigma X posted:

I'm the person asking this, and I'm the person with this response so long as you don't preface the forwarded e-mail with something like "Here it is, maybe try reading your e-mail more thoroughly, rear end HOLE.".

I skim pretty much every e-mail I get sent - 80% of them don't have a lick to do with me, 15% only impact something one of my teammates is doing, 4% apply to my work but don't require responses or impact it, and only the 1% has factual content requiring careful reading and thought before sending to the bit bucket. Which isn't to say I carefully read the 1%, no, it means that the torrent of e-mail I get daily has trained me to ignore pretty much everything that comes through unless it's from someone working on the same thing I'm working on at the moment, or a response to an e-mail I've sent out.

At least 60% of my email consists of company-wide bullshit like the 2 daily newsletters, at least one invitation to an interview seminar each day, updates to the all-hands meeting (not until next month but will continue to update daily as the secretaries realize they hosed up again), requests for people to do such-and-such a training or it'll be canceled for lack of interest, notifications of fun-runs or other events, notifications that such-and-such a gate is closed today due to wind, etc. Oh, or there's the times when a semi-important email goes out to everyone in the company, and then my level 1 manager forwards it to his whole department, and then the L2's secretary forwards it to everyone, and then my co-worker forwards it to everyone, and then another L1 in a different department forwards it to several departments just to make sure.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Enourmo posted:

man id like to hook up my old XPS tower to have as a backup computer (and/or sell) but I lost the drat plastic hard drive caddy they use and apparently they're unobtanium

might have to get a set of calipers and see if I can whip something up in solidworks

Duct tape, man.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

Duct tape, man.

why make things simple when complicated will do?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My dad bought a Fiat X1/9. It made it 150 miles before running out of electricity and being carried the rest of the way on a flatbed. Apparently it's "not too rusty".

:munch:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Duct tape, man.

Many XPS cases also had bottom-mount hard drive screw holes on either the front wall of the case (underneath the caddy) to mount a bare drive vertically, or flat on the bottom.

Barring that, you can jam the drive into the carrier and pad the drive around with foam or bubble wrap, or stick it to the floor upside down with double stick tape. Or zip tie it in place somewhere.

As long as it's not hanging free, nearly anything works, really.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

Apparently it's "not too rusty".

:munch:
Relative to a car in general, a Fiat, what?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

E: or maybe i could check ebay instead of decade old google results :doh:

Blue/Green plastic caddy? I've got some.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

Many XPS cases also had bottom-mount hard drive screw holes on either the front wall of the case (underneath the caddy) to mount a bare drive vertically, or flat on the bottom.

Barring that, you can jam the drive into the carrier and pad the drive around with foam or bubble wrap, or stick it to the floor upside down with double stick tape. Or zip tie it in place somewhere.

Huh, I'll have to check for that. Where does one get mounting screws?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Relative to a car in general, a Fiat, what?

A Lancia.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you're at the point where you don't have a bucket of spares lying around, you steal one from each of your other components :jeb:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

One of my dream cars is a Lancia Beta Coupe. One has to exist out there somewhere.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've just learned that Platinum games (of Mad World, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, Anarchy Reigns and Transformers fame) have the license to make a new Turtles beat 'em up.

Oh god if this has multiplayer it'll be the best game ever.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ruh roh Raggy!

1500quidporsche posted:

One of my dream cars is a Lancia Beta Coupe. One has to exist out there somewhere.
You know that sound when you pour popping candy on your tongue? That, but in steel box sections.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
There was one for sale a few hours from here back in spring that looked mint but I chose a kart instead, its been about as reliable.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I highly recommend not getting hit by a car.

gently caress I'm sore today. Cop, unsurprisingly, is completely unhelpful. Wouldn't give me even a cursory run down of what will be in his report, and only my insurance will even get to see it.

But he's also not done with it, so yay.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

At a bmw shop that had no less than four running 8 series on the lot. That means these guys are good right?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Depends on how much fluid is on the ground,

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

and only my insurance will even get to see it.

That's not how police reports (public records) work. You can and should request a copy (there may be a nominal fee for that if they want to be dicks).

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Geirskogul posted:

My brother let me tell you about my file server that was a P3 coppermine with a bunch of 8GB HDDs that also served as the PXE server for my P2 folding farm in the mid 2000s.
e: hot drat I just realized its now the 'mid-teens'

gently caress.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

1500quidporsche posted:

Not to poo poo on your dream but my Dad had one and said it was the worst car he ever owned and he owned a LOT of lovely beaters. Electrical issues, rust like crazy and a lovely engine.

BloodBag posted:

At a bmw shop that had no less than four running 8 series on the lot. That means these guys are good right?
That's some voodoo poo poo there. I went to the local BMW shop to pickup some parts...ended up leaving with a set of E28 M5 wheels and a full set of used E30 bilstein sports. I really need to stop swinging by there to BS with the guys and hang out.

Corporate email chat, I'm about the same as Sigma X. Most of the poo poo I get doesn't pertain to me so it just goes straight to trash. Most of the stuff that does actually matter to me has been answered or taken care of already by the time someone sends an email about it. All my replies are straight to the point and short, luckily our customer really likes it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

1500quidporsche posted:

Superleggera

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not to poo poo on your dream but my Dad had one and said it was the worst car he ever owned and he owned a LOT of lovely beaters. Electrical issues, rust like crazy and a lovely engine.

There's no dream to poo poo on. Compared to my Scirocco that I light money on fire putting in Bilstein HDs and rally springs into earlier this spring the Beta Coupé would've been a downgrade in every objective category.

But its so attractive. There's a certain indefinably quality to that car that I can't help but be swayed by. I know it would ruin my life if I ever bought one but I'm still convinced at some point down the road I should by one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GOT MY BIOS BACK

...while im stuck in class for another 45 minutes and another hour drive from home on top of that BUT SCREW IT THINGS ARE HAPPENIN

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
So my thanksgiving weekend was going pretty swimmingly until I decided to drive 6 hrs to on offroading event on sunday afternoon and got stuck in clay, drug into a tree and door and cab side destroyed. :downsgun:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

That's not how police reports (public records) work. You can and should request a copy (there may be a nominal fee for that if they want to be dicks).

Yep. Just call the station and find out how to get the records. You may get lucky, like I did recently, and they'll just email you a copy. Worst case is that you have to go to the station and pay them a buck a page to get a copy, but it's definitely a public record.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thread title should be "christmas me" but whatev.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

meatpimp posted:

Yep. Just call the station and find out how to get the records. You may get lucky, like I did recently, and they'll just email you a copy. Worst case is that you have to go to the station and pay them a buck a page to get a copy, but it's definitely a public record.

Oh, they will. He said it's about fifteen bucks and takes 3-6 weeks to get it mailed to me.

Go go California I guess

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Welp, my dad's been a very nice guy to me for a long time, so when he asked if I wanted to take his Passat W8 wagon project off his hands I couldn't help but say "sure!" The way I see it, I'm doing him and my step-mom a favor by getting it out of their driveway. Pretty sure I'm not doing myself any favors, though, we'll see. Goal is to get the CEL to turn itself the gently caress off and stick that bugger on craigslist and hope for some bites.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BOOBIEs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SuperDucky posted:

My brother let me tell you about my file server that was a P3 coppermine with a bunch of 8GB HDDs that also served as the PXE server for my P2 folding farm in the mid 2000s.
e: hot drat I just realized its now the 'mid-teens'

gently caress.

My brother, my web server was a P3 Thinkpad running Plan 9 up until about 2 years ago.

• Locked thread