Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Voting is done! Click here to see the results!

Hey, it's back! Welcome to the second year of the SAS MLB Hall of Fame. Before we get started, let's take a look at our inaugural class from last year:

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Mike Piazza
John Smoltz
Larry Walker

Good job, guys :patriot:

So what is the SAS MLB Hall of Fame Ballot? Well, every year the BWAA votes on the MLB Hall of Fame, and every year we watch as they inevitably gently caress it up. With all the talk, I'd like to see who we would put into the hall. I'm going to keep track of this through multiple years, so when we induct players and the writers don't, they won't appear on the next ballot (and vice versa). I also changed the rules a bit, because the BBWA is dumb.

A player must be on at least 75% of ballots cast to qualify for the SAS MLB Hall of Fame
There is no limitation on players you can vote for. You want to vote for 12 guys? Go for it. Only three are deserving? Then only vote for them.
Because of this, the bar for entry has been raised, and players will fall off the ballot if they fail to reach a certain percentage, based on how many years they've been on the ballot.
- First year: 25%
- Second year: 50%
- Third year: 75% - three strikes and you're out

It's a pretty simple system so the rules aren't difficult! Last year had nine inductees, nine who moved on to this year, and sixteen who fell off. Here is the list of 2016 hopefuls.

Garret Anderson
Brad Asmus
Luis Castillo
David Eckstein
Jim Edmonds
Troy Glaus
Ken Griffey Jr.
Mark Grudzielanek
Mike Hampton
Trevor Hoffman
Jason Kendall
Jeff Kent
Mike Lowell
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa
Mike Sweeney
Alan Trammell
Billy Wagner
Randy Winn

Voting is absolutely subjective, but feel free to post about why you feel guys should or should not be hall of famers in here, as you have until 11:59pm EST on December 30th to vote. I plan on revealing the results, as well as all the ballots, on New Year's Day.

And here is your ballot.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I desperately fought the temptation to submit a comedy ballot and actually did it for serious. It better be worth it!!!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I thought my ballot would be easy, but I have hit a snag. I am one of those Hall of Fame not Hall of Merit kind of people. So it seems like I have to vote for Trevor Hoffman. I mean, he is no Rivera, but that is hardly his fault. But... I am having a hard time rationalizing voting differently between Hoffman and Wagner. I am worse than the sports writers. I need time to deliberate on this.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

quick question, how to I protest vote for pete rose? Just an all blank ballot or what?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

quick question, how to I protest vote for pete rose? Just an all blank ballot or what?

Pete Rose is banned from baseball and also is a terrible person so you should have no sympathy for him.

But I guess if you want to vote for like Randy Winn he's probably just as deserving as Rose so he's a good protest vote.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If you're a small hall person, there's no reason to vote for a relief pitcher. It's just guys who weren't good enough to be elite starters. Mussina was a far better pitcher than Hoffman.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

tadashi posted:

If you're a small hall person, there's no reason to vote for a relief pitcher. It's just guys who weren't good enough to be elite starters. Mussina was a far better pitcher than Hoffman.

Right, but I am not a small hall person! And I am definitely voting for Mussina! If this was directed toward me. I should clarify, I am probably one of the biggest hall people here. If you were statistically great, you're in. But I also have a soft spot for people like Hoffman who maybe don't have the statistical argument, but were sorta defining figures of their day. Like it or not, we went ape-poo poo for closers. Thus, I believe the best closers should go in even if closing is really loving weird and stupid. And Big Mac and Sosa, I mean, come the gently caress on. 1998 was huge for baseball.

I am the worst voter.

Edit: So I guess the "not Hall of Merit" thing was disingenuous. I guess I mean the Hall is for more than statistical giants. It is for stats giants and other dudes.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 1, 2015

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I kind of had to vote for Curt Schilling based on his merit even though he is a terrible/weird person IRL.

Also voted for 'gar because DH or not he is one of the most consistently great hitters to ever play the game. How are you going to name an award after a dude then not put him in the HoF? I might be a little biased because he was my favorite player growing up, though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Do you have vote percentages for the guys returning from last year's ballot so we can see how close they are to falling off or getting in?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Limited myself to ten because Tradition or something. Almost picked Mike Lowell just on account of him being Mike Lowell, the most baseballiest of baseballers.

I think my picks, beyond the obvious, are pretty defensible, but I'm sure I picked somebody dumb and everyone will laugh at me.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The link isn't working for me

edit: now it is

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Do you have vote percentages for the guys returning from last year's ballot so we can see how close they are to falling off or getting in?

Shouldn't matter. Vote based on if you think they are a hall of famer, not just because you want to bump someone over the edge or keep them on the ballot. Same reason why I didn't tell you in the OP who the second year guys are.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Voted Griffey, Edgar, McGwire, Mussina, Hoffman, Sheff and Raines.

Also voted Luis Castillo because I'm a huge Marlins fan.

It is me, I am the guy who gives the pity vote to a local player. A Bad Sportswriter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Everblight posted:

Voted Griffey, Edgar, McGwire, Mussina, Hoffman, Sheff and Raines.

Also voted Luis Castillo because I'm a huge Marlins fan.

It is me, I am the guy who gives the pity vote to a local player. A Bad Sportswriter.

Hey man I almost voted Castillo for two decent-ish Twins seasons. It's okay.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Can I cast a negative vote for Jim Edmonds

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Hoffman would be an embarrassing induction. What's the impetus for him? Are people just dying to have the 2nd best reliever of a generation make it? Is he even better than Flash Gordon? Do you really care about the saves record which he temporarily held before it was shattered by a much better closer and already shamed the Hall into putting in Bruce Sutter and almost put in Lee Smith? I don't see him as a defining figure either, Gwynn was the face of the Padres until they retired, than they were terrible and nobody cared about them or Hoffman, than they make the playoffs in a horrible NL West with Peavy and AGon and those guys are bigger deals immediately.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Hoffman would be an embarrassing induction. What's the impetus for him? Are people just dying to have the 2nd best reliever of a generation make it? Is he even better than Flash Gordon? Do you really care about the saves record which he temporarily held before it was shattered by a much better closer and already shamed the Hall into putting in Bruce Sutter and almost put in Lee Smith? I don't see him as a defining figure either, Gwynn was the face of the Padres until they retired, than they were terrible and nobody cared about them or Hoffman, than they make the playoffs in a horrible NL West with Peavy and AGon and those guys are bigger deals immediately.
I pretty much agree with all of this. I'm fine with the bar for relievers being high.

Voted for:

Ken Griffey Jr.
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Alan Trammell

Waffled on Sheffield a bit

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v31171003/david-eckstein-parks-and-rec-attorney

What more do you need to know?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Sheffield was on the ballot? He's not listed in the OP, so I didn't give him consideration. :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JoeRules posted:

Sheffield was on the ballot? He's not listed in the OP, so I didn't give him consideration. :smith:

poo poo, my bad. I can add him to your vote retroactively if you want. OP is fixed now.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

poo poo, my bad. I can add him to your vote retroactively if you want. OP is fixed now.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poo poo, I think I may have left off Tim Raines from my ballot but can't look at my submission. OP if I did, can you add him to mine please?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

bawfuls posted:

I pretty much agree with all of this. I'm fine with the bar for relievers being high.

Voted for:

Ken Griffey Jr.
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Alan Trammell

Waffled on Sheffield a bit

This plus Sheffield and Jim Edmounds was mine

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

This plus Sheffield and Jim Edmounds was mine

This plus Kent and Wagner for me.

Nice spread on the ballots so far, several that go over ten and a few that are as small as three.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You're all dead to me if you don't vote Jeff Kent.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Harlock posted:

You're all dead to me if you don't vote Jeff Kent.

Hooray! I live!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I picked:

Griffey
Edgar
Kent
McGwire
Mussina
Raines
Sheff
Sosa
Trammell
Wagner

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

I picked:

Griffey
Edgar
Kent
McGwire
Mussina
Raines
Sheff
Sosa
Trammell
Wagner

Sosa is not defensible imo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Everblight posted:

I suppose, but he and McGwire played a huge role in reviving baseball after the strike. I think that he should get on in the "Fame" part, at most

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Everblight posted:

He's an all time great power hitter and while his peak isn't very long it's pretty great. Even relative to the era hitting 60 home runs 3 times is pretty crazy, and he's over 600 for his career. I have him on the other side of the line but it's not by so much that I'd call it indefensible, assuming you don't care about the PED thing at all.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Sounds like you are not a Padres fan! Not only was he the most popular Padre in the immediate post-Gwynn wilderness, he's still the most popular Padre and all he does is walk around the stadium sometimes and talk to people. I'm pretty sure that's his only job, I doubt he does any actual player development. Anyway, I'm voting for him because I'm a huge homer and I don't care and every great baseball game I've ever been to has been a game where I've heard Hell's Bells. Yes, it's been a very, very long time since I've been to a good baseball game. I'd give him close to zero chance here in this particular vote but he's probably getting in the real Hall, sorry.

Also voting Griffey (duh), Edgar, McGwire, Mussina, Raines, and Schilling (ugh). I'm torn on Sosa but more on the no side, so not him.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Jim Edmonds
Ken Griffey Jr.
Jason Kendall
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Billy Wagner

If Billy Wagner isn't a Hall of Famer then basically no reliever but Mariano is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bob Shabazz posted:

If Billy Wagner isn't a Hall of Famer then basically no reliever but Mariano is.

This is sort of how I felt. Wagner dominates Hoffman in basically every stat but saves, and ultimately I voted for him but left Hoffman off. Hoffman was good through his whole career so I can't call him a compiler or anything, but I think the bar to get in as purely a reliever has to be super high and I don't feel like the rest of his numbers bear that out, whereas I feel like Wagner's do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bob Shabazz posted:

I am okay with this, but really in a vacuum I don't think either he or Hoffman would be notably awful selections (although on the current real life ballot I don't think there's a good justification for voting for either given the 10 person limit)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think I left Sheffield off mine so please add him if so.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

tadashi posted:

I think I left Sheffield off mine so please add him if so.

Screwed up and did the same. Add him on mine too please.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

Jim Edmounds

You and me are gonna fight

Also Kevin Brown went yard on Billy Wagner which automatically disqualifies him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

You and me are gonna fight

He was a very good hitter at a premium position that he played really well. Probably not as well as the highlights indicated, but a lot of people have overreacted way too far the other way to that in an effort to sound smarter than the average baseball fan.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

He was a very good hitter at a premium position that he played really well. Probably not as well as the highlights indicated, but a lot of people have overreacted way too far the other way to that in an effort to sound smarter than the average baseball fan.

Seriously, dude had a career OPS of .903. That's higher than Sosa (.878), for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

But I hate him so so much

edmonds.swf

• Locked thread