Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

bawfuls posted:

I pretty much agree with all of this. I'm fine with the bar for relievers being high.

Voted for:

Ken Griffey Jr.
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Alan Trammell

Waffled on Sheffield a bit

This plus Sheffield and Jim Edmounds was mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Everblight posted:

Sosa is not defensible imo

He's an all time great power hitter and while his peak isn't very long it's pretty great. Even relative to the era hitting 60 home runs 3 times is pretty crazy, and he's over 600 for his career. I have him on the other side of the line but it's not by so much that I'd call it indefensible, assuming you don't care about the PED thing at all.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bob Shabazz posted:

If Billy Wagner isn't a Hall of Famer then basically no reliever but Mariano is.

I am okay with this, but really in a vacuum I don't think either he or Hoffman would be notably awful selections (although on the current real life ballot I don't think there's a good justification for voting for either given the 10 person limit)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

You and me are gonna fight

He was a very good hitter at a premium position that he played really well. Probably not as well as the highlights indicated, but a lot of people have overreacted way too far the other way to that in an effort to sound smarter than the average baseball fan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Jim Edmonds owns

Agreed. Even unnecessary diving catches are fun to watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'd vote for him, but he's the one guy I would vote for who I am kinda happy to see fall short every year, just because he's a gigantic dillhole and I assume not making the Hall of Fame makes him mad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Popete posted:

Seeing a few ballots that have McGwire and forego Sosa.

For shame...

Well McGwire was a way better hitter so

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it means he doesn't want to vote for him the first time he is on the ballot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it is ok.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Well I think it was more a case of dismissing him out of hand at first since he's not really spoken of as a hall of fame caliber player for the most part and then reconsidering after seeing a lot of people here vote for him/talk about his qualifications and taking a second look at his career numbers than actually straight up "forgetting him".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Everblight posted:

Serious question: Is OJ Simpson a football hall-of-famer?

yeah, but I suspect that would not be true if he were up for vote today instead of pre-murder.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

No Safe Word posted:

Good enough for me. I hate Schilling but voted for him because he deserves it on his on the field accomplishments even if he is a shitheel, so I'm glad he didn't make the cut anyway.

More people need to vote for Sheff though.

Sheff is just barely hanging on the ballot in the actual voting so relatively speaking he's doing pretty well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My understanding was always that he did it to help his timing but I have no clue how exactly it worked. It looked rad though, and that is a good enough reason for me.

• Locked thread