Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The Star Wars Prequels trilogy is identified in popular culture for its low quality of writing, acting, directing, effects, and casting. Is this a fair? Is this accurate? Or is this merely an emotional judgement that refuses to look past an initial reaction that perhaps did not live up to the fan theories anticipated by moviegoers?

Look back to the original—it’s a typical adventure story set in space derivative of Kurosawa and Flash Gordon, albeit made with advanced special effects (for the time). Those effects allows the youth of the 1970s and 1980s to suspend their disbelief totally, and envelop them in the cookie cutter characters of the young hero, dashing rebel, giant talking bears, effeminate robots etc. Looking at the now dated graphics and bizarre incest subplots, one can say that the prequels aren’t any worse than the originals.

Perhaps the prequels deserve that kind of generosity looking back on them and in anticipation of the thrilling continuation to the Star War Universe. Let’s not trash the foundation of this American institution just because George Lucas is fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banme
Apr 23, 2008
i blame the millennials

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Yes I did my dissertation on this very subject at college.

It started "FAAAAAART.....

banme
Apr 23, 2008

SirEvelynTremble posted:

kinda like your stupid avatar lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

uh the originals aren't run of the mill, if you watch anything of the same genre from that period it all looks like trash

i know this is a troll thread but jeez dude

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
On the other hand, the op is wrong.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Fonzarelli posted:

uh the originals aren't run of the mill, if you watch anything of the same genre from that period it all looks like trash

i know this is a troll thread but jeez dude

I mentioned this factor in the OP, although there were others of that time period. Have you seen Ran?

The point is, the technical wizardry in being able to animate colorful characters like Jar Jam Binkle set apart the prequels.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

SirEvelynTremble posted:

What's a dissertation?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

On the other hand, the op is wrong.

Seconded

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

star trek is better than star wars

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Doctor J Off posted:

What's a dissertation?

a long essay

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Why do people say this pile of feces smells like poo poo?

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
It's not just the prequels that are bad op

banme
Apr 23, 2008

whats an esé?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Doctor J Off posted:

The Star Wars Prequels trilogy is identified in popular culture for its low quality of writing, acting, directing, effects, and casting. Is this a fair? Is this accurate?

yes

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Your Rain posted:

It's not just the prequels that are bad op

Indeed; it's a minor work of scifi, not on par with the oeuvre of Stephen King and Margaret Atwood.

dookrubbins
Dec 1, 2015

by zen death robot
The acting the acting the acting...

Haven't we all watched the plinket reviews already?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Episode 2 is one of the worst movies of our generation.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Doctor J Off posted:

The Star Wars Prequels trilogy is identified in popular culture for its low quality of writing, acting, directing, effects, and casting. Is this a fair? Is this accurate?

It's accurate of the original Star Wars trilogy as well, people are just too dumb to realize it.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I thought episode 1 sucked but I liked the second and third. :shrug:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
red letter media

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I go onto the Something Awful GBS forums to see what my opinions are and I see a thread that means maybe... just maybe... I think the Star Wars prequels are good??? But no, the goons in the thread confirm that, in fact, I think they are bad.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I had no major problems with 3.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Flat deadpan over the shoulder camera angles are the wave of future cinema OP

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Idiot Kicker posted:

Episode 2 is one of the worst movies of our generation.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

a hole-y ghost posted:

I go onto the Something Awful GBS forums to see what my opinions are and I see a thread that means maybe... just maybe... I think the Star Wars prequels are good??? But no, the goons in the thread confirm that, in fact, I think they are bad.

Well, I didn't say they were great or anything, just no worse than the origina.s

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

proof of concept posted:

red letter media

The Plinkett reviews are nearly as long as the movies themselves and more entertaining and everyone should watch them

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lackey posted:

The Plinkett reviews are nearly as long as the movies themselves and more entertaining and everyone should watch them

I agree with this and I agree with what plinkett says about the movies in them

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Idiot Kicker posted:

I had no major problems with 3.

i assume you stopped watching at 2

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I saw ROTS six times in the theater, early 20s me enjoyed it. Only saw clones once and phantom menace twice though.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I just rewatched the prequels and jar jar wasn't really bad at all

people flip out about that guy and i don't really get it

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

ashgromnies posted:

I just rewatched the prequels and jar jar wasn't really bad at all

people flip out about that guy and i don't really get it

He at least did something unlike Mace Windu who was shoehorned in there and everyone was waiting for him to say motherfucker.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
most people say they are bad because they are bad.

the original star wars is only palatable for the scenes with Harrison Ford anyway

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
eh a good effort. should hit 10 pages at least

4/5

lazyman
Jul 2, 2007
I saw a few minutes of Episode IV recently, one of Lucas molested versions - it was laughablly poo poo

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Exhibit A:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
"Why do people say the Star War Prequels are so bad?"

It's because they're bad hope this helps [hth].

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

I'm from the future and can tell you what people think of 7, 8, and 9:

episode 7: you know how when a bethesda game comes out people can't stop playing it and love it to death and it's the best thing ever? that happened with episode 7, then much like bethesda games people lost hype about it, but still said it's a good movie when asked. people who like the prequels usually rate 7 around the same as 3, people who hate the prequels rate 7 the same as 6.

episode 8: considered the best of the new trilogy, mostly brought up on star wars forums when people argue whether this or episode 5 is better, it's a really heated debate with lots of anger at kids who weren't alive when episode 5 came out. did the worst of the three at the box office, still really well obviously, and got the only oscar nomination not for effects for best director (didn't win of course)

episode 9: shocked people greatly with what a lot of people consider one of the worst endings to a movie trilogy ever, put some people off the star wars franchise for good but some people just have an alternate ending in their "headcanon" or whatever. a lot of people really liked it though, some even more than 8, but they all believe this fan theory that's never explicitly stated, i mean there's evidence for it but it could really go either way. watch for yourself when it comes out.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
As an retarded grown man. I say the pinnacle of hatred is when the binks steps in poo poo in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
none of the six films is exactly a masterpiece but it is very clear the prequels are significantly worse, that's my input to this thread

• Locked thread