Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i played this game on game boy Color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I liked the first two Country games (although I do agree the last world in the original is complete bullshit). I feel the same way about 3 as you do about the original. There's a glimmer of a good game in it. It has a few good points, but on the whole it falls flat. They tried to change it up a bit and that's great, but they changed too much and it didn't feel the same. Far too many gimmick levels, too. After a while it started to feel more like a puzzle game.

And also no Rambi. That was unforgivable.

I liked Kiddy Kong though. What's cuter than a monkey in a onesie?

I recently watched (well, more "listened to") a longplay of 3 and the music struck me as being incredibly forgettable, especially after DKC 2.

Everyone knows the official SNES list goes:
#1 DKC 2
#2 DKC
#3 DKC 3

Everything else is wrong :colbert:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Looper posted:

Diddy's Kong-Quest

What? I knew the subtitle, but it apparently has taken 20 years to get the pun.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

#1 DKC 2
#2 DKC
#3 DKC 3

Everything else is wrong :colbert:

Glad, after a week of being wrong, I am at last right.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FeyerbrandX posted:

What? I knew the subtitle, but it apparently has taken 20 years to get the pun.

It's even worse if you misread the subtitle for years like I did. I could've sworn it was "Diddy Kong's Quest" for years until I looked at it again like 2-3 weeks ago.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The original DKC is a good game, but it's not the revolution in gaming that it was when it came out, especially in terms of graphics. I remember the VHS that I got from Nintendo Power that bragged about how awesome the Advanced Computer Modeling graphics were. I guess they were OK at the time, but sprites have aged far better than ACM models over the past 20 years. DKC2 took a good game and made it into a masterpiece.

My problem with DKC3 isn't all of the gimmick levels, it's the fact that by the end of the game, they used gimmicks as a way to make the game way too difficult. They pull some of them off well, like the tree level where you have to outrun a hacksaw and the factory level where you keep getting shot at. But levels like Rocket Rush and Lightning Look-Out can go to hell.

Oh, and my view on Donkey Kong as a war criminal: he never strikes the first blow. All he wants to do is laze around and eat bananas all day. Is that too much to ask? If you gently caress around with the jungle, the jungle will gently caress around with you ten times worse. He isn't committing war crimes, he's carrying out the laws of nature.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
w/r/t Donkey Kong being a fascistic war criminal, note that it's called "Donkey Kong Country" and not some variant of the "Republic of Kong". After his rise to power, he named his loving country after himself!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Plus it's fair to say DK Island probably wasn't a natural rock formation

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Built on the back of Kremling labourers? Maybe King K Rool was looking to liberate his subjects? He attacked Kong's food source in hopes that it would slow him down long enough to give him time to save all the poor Kremlings stashed in the island factories.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Y-Hat posted:

Oh, and my view on Donkey Kong as a war criminal: he never strikes the first blow. All he wants to do is laze around and eat bananas all day. Is that too much to ask? If you gently caress around with the jungle, the jungle will gently caress around with you ten times worse. He isn't committing war crimes, he's carrying out the laws of nature.

DKC2 literally starts with you hijacking K Rool's ship and crashing it into his island. Just saying.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I can't believe DK would start a war without passing it through...

Kongress.

:v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Kongress.

I need you, and you specifically, to :kongout:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ungulateman posted:

Kongress.

Sure he would, it's a banana republic anyway

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Y-Hat posted:

The original DKC is a good game, but it's not the revolution in gaming that it was when it came out, especially in terms of graphics. I remember the VHS that I got from Nintendo Power that bragged about how awesome the Advanced Computer Modeling graphics were. I guess they were OK at the time, but sprites have aged far better than ACM models over the past 20 years. DKC2 took a good game and made it into a masterpiece.

My problem with DKC3 isn't all of the gimmick levels, it's the fact that by the end of the game, they used gimmicks as a way to make the game way too difficult. They pull some of them off well, like the tree level where you have to outrun a hacksaw and the factory level where you keep getting shot at. But levels like Rocket Rush and Lightning Look-Out can go to hell.

I actually enjoyed Lightning Look-Out. But a vast majority of the gimmick levels were too much. After a certain point it's like why did you even bother learning how to move and attack if you're never gonna use them?

And I thought K. Rool's ship was already there at the beginning of 2? It's just how they entered the island.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I actually enjoyed Lightning Look-Out. But a vast majority of the gimmick levels were too much. After a certain point it's like why did you even bother learning how to move and attack if you're never gonna use them?

And I thought K. Rool's ship was already there at the beginning of 2? It's just how they entered the island.

The world shares the same name with the final stage of DKC1, Gangplank Galleon. It's heavily implied (and then outright stated in the GBA remake of DKC2) that you're crash-coursing K. Rool's sweet ride right back into his own island.

DKC2 is basically Retaliation: The Game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
DCK2 starts with DK in prison awaiting trial for his heinous war crimes, and Diddy and Dixie come along and bust him out to ensure he never has to face justice.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Monkey Mines :siren:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Blind Sally posted:

w/r/t Donkey Kong being a fascistic war criminal, note that it's called "Donkey Kong Country" and not some variant of the "Republic of Kong". After his rise to power, he named his loving country after himself!

Donkey Kong is a title. It's DK Lore 101 that the guy that threw barrels at mario is now known as cranky kong.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Spider buddy is the best buddy, forever and always

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

darealkooky posted:

Donkey Kong is a title. It's DK Lore 101 that the guy that threw barrels at mario is now known as cranky kong.

So what you're saying is that Cranky, our old Glorious Leader, began all the war crimes and that his son has just been perpetuating them in his father's name. Got it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think Donkey might be the honorific title. Like Czar or Caesar.

Since Cranky was Donkey Kong I and The current one is (was) DK Jr. At least according to the rich DKC lore where Cranky was the First Born and Diddy is the furtive pygmy.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Looper posted:

You made a mistake. Rambi is a rhino, not a spider.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hosed up opinion: I actually like the ostrich guy

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
The best was the snake guy in DKC2, if only because his first level had some outstanding music.

The worst is any iteration of the parrot.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheLoquid posted:

The best was the snake guy in DKC2, if only because his first level had some outstanding music.

The worst is any iteration of the parrot.

I never liked how grabbing onto a parrot made the hitbox change. My kid brain would always, always lose several lives to it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I never liked how grabbing onto a parrot made the hitbox change. My kid brain would always, always lose several lives to it.
This is probably why Parrot Chute Panic is one of my least favorite levels in DKC2, where the majority of the level is spent controlling Purple Squawks and doing your best to not collide with any Zingers because of the weird hitboxes. Not to mention the weirdness that is having to learn how a new animal buddy works and is exclusive to just one level. Then again, I never understood why Squawks even needed a palette swap in the first place. I mean, DKC3 tried to do something more with him (making him into a dive-bomber, more or less), but he just felt pointless in the long run. But at least Purple Squawks is more useful than loving Parry the Parallel Bird.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

loving Parry the Parallel Bird.
I'd appreciate the level where the elephant animal buddy goes ballistic a lot more if you didn't have to keep this little fucker alive in the process. I mean, sure, you don't have to do that, but you get a Bonus Barrel as a reward, so if you want to get everything (and who doesn't?), it's mandatory.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 5, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

I'd appreciate the level where the elephant animal buddy goes ballistic a lot more if you didn't have to keep this little fucker alive in the process. I mean, sure, you don't have to do that, but you get a Bonus Barrel as a reward, so if you want to get everything (and who doesn't?), it's mandatory.
I cannot even begin to count the number of times I failed that level. And that's before I add in the amount of times Parry died in the process of finishing the level. gently caress Stampede Sprint right in the rear end.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yo, I don't mind if we talk about stuff ahead of time (and hell, I agree with a lot of it, especially the stuff about Quawks), but if you're gonna start citing specific levels and talking about their gimmicks, keep it under tags.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man DKC, the aesthetic of the levels so strangely ethereal for games about collecting bananas.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also the mine cart levels are really cool and a good way to handle auto scrollers in my opinion

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Looper posted:

This man knows what's up. :hfive:

:siren: Lost Mangroves - Part 2 :siren:

So today we're tackling the World 1 boss. Aren't you guys excited? He's not nearly as awful as he could be, but I have a suspicion that's purely because he's only the first boss. World 3's boss is probably the only one in the entire game I would consider "good" so strap in, it only gets better from here!

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

What was the "familiar face" in the silhouette level? I didn't see anything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's somewhere around here. :v: Spoilered in case anyone still wants to look on their own.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hate things like that. I still can't see it

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I hate things like that. I still can't see it

Look just to the right of DK. You're not actually looking for a face.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The answer:

Samus's spaceship is tangled up in the trees in the background. It's right in the center of that picture.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Thanks. I thought it was a tangle of vines

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was lucky enough to have DKC2 when I was a kid. Man that's one of my favorite platformers. I managed to play the original DKC and wasn't too impressed by it. DKC2 just did so much better. Wasn't really feeling DK3 though. Not sure why, but Kiddy Kong not being as fun to use as Diddy might have been one of the reasons.

Looking forward to seeing how Tropical Freeze compares to DKC2. Although that first boss looked less than favorable. Looks like there was too much waiting around and might have went on for a bit too long. Hopefully the actual levels are good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I was lucky enough to have DKC2 when I was a kid. Man that's one of my favorite platformers. I managed to play the original DKC and wasn't too impressed by it. DKC2 just did so much better. Wasn't really feeling DK3 though. Not sure why, but Kiddy Kong not being as fun to use as Diddy might have been one of the reasons.

Looking forward to seeing how Tropical Freeze compares to DKC2. Although that first boss looked less than favorable. Looks like there was too much waiting around and might have went on for a bit too long. Hopefully the actual levels are good.

That's what you bring Cranky for. :v: I'm pretty sure he can pogo right through the seal/otter's invulnerability phases and make things go by much faster. At the very least, he can pogo through the spinies and take them off the playing field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Boss looked to be on the Rayman 1 end of long, but how can you be mad at a Viking Seal leaping from the turnbuckle? :allears:

• Locked thread