Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

They had a level like Bopopolis in the GBA version of Yoshi's Island, but it wasn't nearly as good, mainly because porting that game to that system was a poor choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
And of course there are the monkey challenges in Super Mario Galaxy where you get mad points for bouncing on as many things in close succession as possible. Mass murder is fun, it seems.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pop quiz: which developer had proven themselves to Nintendo that they were a very capable studio worthy of entrusting their beloved properties to and got the go ahead to make a Donkey Kong game? Here's a hint, their name starts with an "R."

If you answered "Rare," then you're right, but that's not the answer I was looking for. Retro Studios took on the challenge of making a Donkey Kong game after their wildly successful Metroid revival and this game, Donkey Kong Country Returns is widely considered the start of a successful DKC revival as well. Featuring a return to 2D platforming across 8 very imaginatively named worlds, DKCR set itself apart from its predecessors by putting more focus on great set pieces in the levels that just was not possible on SNES. That said, it's also incredibly similar to DKC1, to the point where I'd consider it a modern re-imagining of DKC1. It's a perfectly competent and fun platformer, it's just not very ambitious.

To really appreciate what makes Tropical Freeze even better, Artix, myself, and assorted guest commentators will take a look at this game on the side, to show off the bar that Retro set themselves.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 25, 2015

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
To be fair to Retro, a lot of Nintendo bosses in recent times follow a similar pattern, if not that exact one. Usually it's "hit 'em twice, they get angry and their pattern changes."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The vehicle (cart/rocket barrel) levels in DKCR are why I never beat it. Holy poo poo those things suck when you're learning them because of the one-hit kill.

I got a good ways through this game and got to the entire world that was nothing but cart and rocket-barrel levels and had to put this game down.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I cared about the puzzle pieces enough to collect them all!
I also 102%'d DK64 though, so I have a problem with collecting shiny things in games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Having not seen the video yet, I hope you don't bitch too much about the "shake to roll" controls.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Nobody bitched about them at all, actually.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I can guarantee that there'd be much more complaining about that if we did this live.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I would probably be calling you a scrub if you did, I 130-odd%'d DKCR using nothing but the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It sure makes getting the best medal on Time Trials fun hell.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Spent the last few hours playing the Virtual Console version of Diddy's Kong Quest and yep, I am still really bad at DKC. Some of these stages give you precisely zero margin for error, and the fact I'm playing DKC2 for the first time doesn't help. Of course, then there's also the occasional wonky hitbox, which is always nice.

At least it's really easy to grind a shitton of 1-ups, because I certainly do need those. :downs: Looking forward to the DKC2 videos!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing Tropical Freeze. I haven't actually... played the DKC series before, at least not enough to be at all familiar with how the original SNES games handle. So hey, it'll be a completely new experience for me in that respect.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Bright Savannah - Part 1 :siren:

Today I'm joined by PoorlyWrittenNovel as DK brings his favorite brand of carnage to the plains of Africa.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ah yeah, the first level in this world was the first trailer I saw for the game and I knew it was going to be magical immediately.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Those were clearly watermelons, not waterberries :colbert:

And were those... scare-acudas? :haw:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lightning only appears in that level, huh. So we could say that lightning...doesn't return? :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Dickylicky?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I can't find the specific tweet anymore, but Gregg Mayles has a bunch of DKC2 archives on his twitter. This one, for example, is a list of potential DKC2 names. I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find the list of Dixie names, but yeah, one of the finalists was apparently Dickylicky. :stare:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
DKC 2- The Search For Kong

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That'd be this tweet.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DKC3's lightning level does attempt to give you a heads-up to when a lightning strike happens (a small tiny bolt in the air on the top of the screen), but some strikes are full bolts without a warning. And just for that extra dose of "gently caress you" from Rare, you are never told which ones have a warning and which ones are instant OHKOs.

Basically, that level sucks and Tropical Freeze handles the gimmick much, much better.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
That first level was fantastic, and I loved the way that level ended. This game is a lot more lively than what I've played of Returns.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dude who isn't playing, you are totally nuts if you think world 2 was "generic grassland" themed. It was an awesome Germanic alpine kind of thing, steins and giant horns included.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I hate to say it because I know it was David Wise, but honestly, I found myself seriously disappointed with this game's version of Stickerbush Symphony. The quiet mellow chill water type take on it is nice, but it feels sort of... I dunno, a little bit phoned in? Like he didn't really try all that hard with it BECAUSE it was Stickerbush Symphony, and people were gonna love it no matter what. The original was a favorite because it was this surprisingly serene and yet somewhat sorrowful sounding piece that played in the middle of one of the most dangerous stage types in the entire game, that for the most part required a huge amount of caution in a game where most players had otherwise just been blasting the hell through up to that point, and it really worked out. Likewise, the Smash Bros. version KNOWS you're gonna be blasting through like a maniac and has a suitably adventurous tempo while still holding on to that original beauty, especially with the guitar segments. This one... it really just feels like they did it just to say they made a new version of the song for this game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's a small part of me that wants to believe the conversation basically went: "Everyone loves Stickerbush Symphony, we gotta have it somewhere". So he just shoved it in as the intro to a stage that you're probably not even going to be on long enough to recognize that it's SS. I just can't imagine why they wouldn't have used it in some other way if he actually wanted to use SS; I mean for god's sake, there's a level literally called Bramble Scramble in the next video and that combination literally writes itself.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Bellmaker posted:

Those were clearly watermelons, not waterberries :colbert:

Botanically, watermelons are berries. Bananas also. Possibly eggplants as well?

Fruits is berry confusing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I miss the Kremlings. They had character and a lot of these enemies feel really generic.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, I'm not sure why Retro is so adverse to using them. The Tikis were really dull. I guess the ice vikings are kind of a step up, but eh.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's entirely possible that Rare still holds some parts of the DKC trademarks like the Kremlings, and Microsoft isn't usually willing to play nice about that sort of thing. Also, the Snowmads (Seriously, that's their name) do get a little more interesting as it goes on, at least in motivation. Twilight Terror was the first real sign of what they're actually doing besides just conquering the whole archipelago.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
the Kremlings are a salvaged design from one of the Battletoads games, but that said they have still shown up in the Mario Strikers series which were developed after Microsoft bought Rare. So who knows.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think the official reason was that they wanted to have their own distinct voice with the series and not just copy Rare wholesale; though they did for everything else in Returns :v:. I think the Snowmads have about as much personality as the Kremlings, given that I played this and DKC2 around the same time (thanks eshop/having the N64 as a first console!)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I feel like the Kremlings working so well might be due to my nostalgia, there were always other things attacking you anyway. But I just like the hapless cartoon army of crocs as antagonists, because they were so... haplesss. and cartoony.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Botanically, watermelons are berries. Bananas also. Possibly eggplants as well?

Fruits is berry confusing.

Eggplants are deadly tasty nightshades. So are tomatoes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Isn't there supposed to be a remix of Stickerbrush Symphony in the credits? Obviously, I haven't finished Tropical Freeze and probably never will, but David Wise mentioned such a remix in this interview. Of course, it's still not in any of the actual levels so I guess the point stands. :v:

Incidentally, I found that interview when I was looking for information on the correct way to spell the track's name, which has been the cause of many a Youtube comment war and wiki talk page sperging bout. The official DKC2 OST and the sound test menu have "Stickerbrush" and David Wise seems to use it as well, but according to the internet they're all wrong and stupid because "stickerbrush" isn't an actual word that is used in real life. I have no idea how any of this works.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I miss the Kremlings. They had character and a lot of these enemies feel really generic.

respectful disagreement

the pirate kremlings were cool but the ice vikings are just as rad and definitely better than dkc1 and 3 enemies, and the bosses are way better at least visually

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Alkydere posted:

Eggplants are deadly tasty nightshades. So are tomatoes.

Tomatoes are definitely berries as well as nightshades.

Also potatoes but I'm reasonably certain there's no such thing as a potato berry.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Artix posted:

There's a small part of me that wants to believe the conversation basically went: "Everyone loves Stickerbush Symphony, we gotta have it somewhere". So he just shoved it in as the intro to a stage that you're probably not even going to be on long enough to recognize that it's SS. I just can't imagine why they wouldn't have used it in some other way if he actually wanted to use SS; I mean for god's sake, there's a level literally called Bramble Scramble in the next video and that combination literally writes itself.

Isn't the music for world 1's Silhouette level a remix of SS? Or am I mishearing it?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Isn't the music for world 1's Silhouette level a remix of SS? Or am I mishearing it?

It always sounded a little closer to Bayou Boogie from 2, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The year is 1995; DKC has come and gone, the N64 is just on the horizon, and Rare was hard at work crafting a sequel. DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest is the game that DKC wanted to be. The platforming is tighter and more varied, the animal buddies have been diversified, bonuses now have actual rewards and come in a bunch of different minigame flavors...I could go on and on, but suffice to say that it is a clear improvement over the original in just about every imaginable way. Frankly, even with the few problems it does have (hitboxes still being hosed, having to pay to save your game), I would still consider it the best game in the series, and among my favorite games ever made. It's almost impossible to describe just how well the game flows with words alone - you really need to see it in action, or better yet, play it yourself. In fact, more than any other game in this thread, I suggest you play this one yourself first. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

This time around, Donkey Kong has been "kidnapped" by K. Rool (presumably to face justice for his crimes), so it's up to child soldier Diddy and his girlfriend Dixie to bust him out. This brings a lot of changes to the game, not the least of which is Dixie's hair twirl, allowing her to slow her descent. This is just as broken as you can imagine, but we'll talk about all that in due time. For now, let's get our revenge on.
:siren: Gangplank Galleon :siren:

• Locked thread