Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

So, that rampage mission where Jade almost walked off without the tank?

I did that as well but I didn't have someone to point out the tank to me at the time, it is not an easy rampage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This LP has me replaying the game again.

There is nothing more fun than taking a truck and ramping it off a ridge into a building. Nothing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Night10194 posted:

This LP has me replaying the game again.

There is nothing more fun than taking a truck and ramping it off a ridge into a building. Nothing.

The Oasis hideout is great for that.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Merry Christmas, explosion fans. Because of a, uh, questionable request, there are two versions of this iteration.

Implus
Implusplus

Changes:

Implus:
All small arms now make more exciting ragdoll physics.
Small arms can cause light environmental destruction. It's not enough to bring down a building alone, but you can wear down cover, and firefights should leave the surrounding area pleasantly full of battle damage.
Remote charges now deal much less damage to vehicles currently occupied by the player, but impart twice the force. I'm sure you can find some applications.

Implusplus:
In addition, the radius of remote charges is doubled. You're welcome, Jade.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Male Man posted:

Changes:
Remote charges now deal much less damage to vehicles currently occupied by the player, but impart twice the force. I'm sure you can find some applications.

Next stop, the moon!

No, I don't mean Phobos or Deimos.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

YeOldeButchere posted:

Next stop, the moon!

No, I don't mean Phobos or Deimos.

Perfect post/avatar combo.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Male Man posted:

Merry Christmas, explosion fans. Because of a, uh, questionable request, there are two versions of this iteration.

Implus
Implusplus

This is the only Christmas gift I've gotten this year that I actually asked for.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It really is one of those things that should have been an unlockable upgrade. Making poo poo explode more is like game progression 101.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Male Man posted:

Implus
Implusplus
Awesome.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Male Man posted:

Implus
Implusplus

Thank you for this. Also thank you Jade for convincing me to go get this game period, I'm having a blast in it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just a reminder from 2008. Volitions April Fools joke was this And yes they did actually put that in the game, as a multiplayer unlock.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Calax posted:

Just a reminder from 2008. Volitions April Fools joke was this And yes they did actually put that in the game, as a multiplayer unlock.

That must have been very cathartic to film.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally got this game running on my own computer thanks to a new video card, and I must say I'm surprised at how strong the pistol is at the start of the game. It's much more accurate than the rifle and drops EDF in just one or two hits.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hammer, detpacks, magic gun and rocket launcher are all you need.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

goatface posted:

I really appreciate how quickly they give you the weaponized nano-deconstructor macguffin to play with instead of locking it at the end game or something.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

goatface posted:

The only issue is longevity. Fully upgraded that's just 30 detpacks, 30 rifle shots, and 15 rockets. More than enough for any one skirmish, but you'll spend a lot of time running from ammo box to ammo box.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Get in, destroy targets, get out. Make good use of the hammer. If you really need something, grab a rifle off the floor.

Some missions need a more selective payload.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I fell in love with the incendiary rocket later, which is even more painful for ammo. Something like 4 or 5 shots, and it isn't carried in supply boxes so I need to refill at home base.

Nice big booms, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Hammer, detpacks, magic gun and thermobaric rocket launcher are all you need.
Fixed that for you. Granted, that thing could use an ammo mod or at least more upgrades.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The limited ammo is okay but it kinda sucks in an open world game. If it was more linear kind Armageddon it wouldn't be as bad, but RFG kinda suffers from it. It's actually good as an open world game for the most part, but at times it reminds me of watch dogs where it would benefit so much more in places from not being an open world game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

But RFG does benefit immensely from being a game where you can have a free-wheeling multi-site brawl scampering from wrecked car to wrecked car and tossing guns as you go as militia and soldiers spawn to duke it out around you. Those 'Can I get away with blowing up one more structure' moments are worth it being open world, I think.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, it also means I'm less likely to hoard ammo. Pump my thermobaric rockets into the target, then swap it for a guard's whatever-hes-carrying to shoot my way clear. If the game were linear I'd hoard my big guns because who knows when I'll get a chance to swap.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, the cost of dying is only significant in terms of travel time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have discovered that you can encounter EDF tanks before the Badlands. Got one sent after me in Dust for attacking the wind farm.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, no, the game benefits immensely from being open world from the stand point of loving poo poo Up, but the limited inventory can be annoying. You can totally mitigate this with your play style, but it would also be rad to have a massive inventory with a stock pile of ammunition for extended rampages and antics. It's not really a Bad Thing about the game, it's just something that I will get Mildly Annoyed By At Times.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

This means that you mostly have to use what the EDF bring you to continue your rampage of destruction.

Lots and lots of tanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've learned a couple of things playing the game myself that may be useful to you, Jade Star:

The nano rifle makes very quick work of those reinforced guard towers that have been giving you fits. Whatever the legs of the towers are made of seems very resistant to damage, which is why it takes so much effort to bring them down. The nano rifle ignores the damage resistance, so five shots (including the ladder, I've seen the same oddity you have) will bring the tower down.

It may seen unintuitive to use it for so prosaic a purpose, but the nano rifle is also great for mining. One shot melts the entire ore deposit and the red crystals just sit there without scattering.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Which is another great thing about the Nano Rifle: It's really a very useful thing in a lot of situations. Precision demolition of mans, tanks, and bits of building, mining, what can't it do? It's nice to have a wonder-weapon you get relatively early and that lives up to the hype.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Male Man posted:

Implus
Implusplus

Implus's battle damage is much more than "incidental" because it's also in the enemy's guns. Hostage rescues turn into jumping puzzles scrambling through a collapsing building, EDF crates fall down on their own, and nowhere is safe from gunships who will happily chew their own buildings apart to get at you.

This is not a bad thing. I think I need to start a new game just to enjoy all the chaos.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

I forgot to take into account that several weapons (mostly vehicle- and emplacement-mounted weapons) are flagged so the AI will attempt to shoot through cover to hit you. Normally that's just a cinematic thing, since they can't actually penetrate cover, but with this mod those concrete barriers are alarmingly fragile. I'll do some testing and try to get the values better dialed in.

Thanks for the feedback. It's very helpful.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Hey guys, happy new year and all that for those of you that celebrate. Instead I'm blowing up Mars. All of it. Well okay not all of it but a lot of it. This is the first video using Male Mans impulseplusplus mod and yeah, it's pretty great. I think i'll be leaving it on as I clear out the badlands finally and then make a quick trip into the Oasis.

Inefficient Sabotage

Edit: Oh right, let me source my Mars fact of the day - http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/09/tech/innovation/mars-one-applications/index.html

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 1, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Now that we've seen the Oasis hideout with its winding wraparound road, here's a parking job I like to call the Oasis Shortcut.

I think 3/4 of the time I entered that camp it was via the roof.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I call that perpendicular parking.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Was that the company that Kickstartered their first stage? because I'm pretty sure their stage 1 funding showed it aint happening.

Since their Stage 1 was to investigate the feasibility of going to Mars, they delivered what was asked for they're fine by the Kickstarter terms.

Unlike Star Citizen

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oasis is probably my favorite sector in the game, mostly because the hills are gentle enough that we can usually drive up and over them instead of having to go around.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Gotta love the beauty of a well executed wing shot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Now that we've seen the Oasis hideout with its winding wraparound road, here's a parking job I like to call the Oasis Shortcut.

I think 3/4 of the time I entered that camp it was via the roof.
And it's better because it's symmetrical: the other Oasis hideout has its own gimmick too. If you ever wanted to experiment with explosion-propelled buggies...

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Nope, I don't have any tips for the saw blade launcher.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, it's pretty garbage. Even with the explosive upgrade it does gently caress all against vehicles and there are much more effective anti-infantry weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Y'all missed the most hilarious way of completing the Badlands liberation mission. If you take the nano rifle, you can melt one or both wings off the EDF gunships while they're on the ground. As long as you don't destroy the gunship's main body, the pilots will still get in and take off. With one or both wings gone, though, the gunship will immediately flop over and spin out on the ground before exploding.

All the mission cares about is that all five gunships go boom.

• Locked thread