Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

New Red Faction looking good

Turns out Syria is not unlike Red Faction Guerrilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAP7YDL6FTI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On a related note, I started playing Red Faction: Armageddon. My general impression is that it would have been quite well-received if it hadn't been following up on Guerrilla. It's actually a fairly solid and arcadey third-person shooter, and if it stood on its own it would have been a good 8/10 game just for being fun. Unfortunately, Volition tried to follow up an incredibly fun sandbox game based around a very unique destruction engine with a corridor shooter in mostly non-destructible environments against swarms of alien insects.

It may have been better for them to just get the license for Alien Swarm or something and restyle the game into a remake using the exact same gameplay and destruction physics. It would have been much more acceptable to the general public.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Woebin posted:

There was a Volition stream where they played Guerilla for a while and talked about stuff, the origins of Armageddon came up. The original idea was called Red Faction: Crusade and was going to be dependent on Guerilla ending in a different way from how it actually ends (not gonna spoil it, but if you're interested the stream is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U68Vue1l3Gw), and there weren't supposed to be aliens. But then the publisher insisted on aliens and a different plot so Armageddon was the end result. It's a shame, Crusade sounded really cool conceptually.

It's still strange seeing ChipCheezum when he talks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ceebees posted:

I'd like to place my early bet that the problem of the EDF Hydra is solved by Mason pointing the nano-rifle in the direction of Space and firing twenty or thirty times.

I can neither confirm nor deny your assumption.

That sniper mission may be a bitch, but it's nice for Volition to have a mission where big chunks take place inside 100% destructible, large buildings. It adds a unique tactical element when literally every surface can be destroyed until the whole structure crumbles around you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I tried to play with Implus myself, but unfortunately the explosion limit was pretty crippling to explosive weapons even in the early game. It's too bad there doesn't appear to be a way to increase the limit if you're not working for Volition.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

They show up in a couple of story missions in Eos, and one of them gives you the opportunity to steal and drive a truck if you are so inclined (you're probably not, that mission gives you another vehicle you'll probably use instead). They're nothing special, just a big heavy vehicle that can have a machine gun or gauss cannon on top.

The lack of variety to the EDF is one of my bigger complaints about this game. You will never, ever face an enemy walker of any type in the game - that rocket tank is the last vehicle to show up in the game. Even the Demons of the Badlands DLC only adds two new vehicles, both Marauder in origin.

And wasn't one of those Marauder vehicles just a repainted heavy walker?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AltaBrown posted:

Mars Fact of the Day: With gravity a little over 1/3 of Earth's, and with a dead planetary core, Mars is actually a terrible planet to try and colonize.

I've been working on a kinda hard sci-fi setting for roleplay and such, and part of that is figuring out a good Mars colony. The answer is pressurized cities and towns (with underground portions) connected by long highways (both surface highways under pressurized tunnels and underground highways) and high speed rail, with most of the living and commercial areas of the colony being pedestrian-only or served by low-speed open air trams. Only the most remote parts of the planet (like mines and research outposts) need people to put on pressurized suits and drive or shuttle across the surface.

The superscience necessary for this is:

1. Regular injections of drugs that can build up bone and muscle mass to prevent the 0.38g gravity from causing degradation.

2. The perfection of cold fusion to provide cheap power for everything.

Funny enough, Venus is actually the best planet to colonize! The upper atmosphere (I think 31 miles or 51 miles above the surface?) is above the clouds and has a relatively pleasant atmosphere, pressure, and temperature. You'd still need an oxygen mask and protection from sulfuric acid in the atmosphere, but you could hang a colony from balloons and just float with the wind, circumnavigating the planet every 96 hours at a speed of over 200 MPH.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fire Storm posted:

I don't like the idea of gravity well hopping. Once you are out of one gravity well, stay out and go for artificial gravity.

Just wait until you try to fly a plane inside a spinning cylinder space colony. The atmosphere has to spin with the colony to avoid everyone on the "ground" experiencing high wind, but the air speed gets lower and lower as you get closer to the center of the cylinder.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Random Number posted:

If you're flying a plane in an O'Neill cylinder you're doing it for fun anyway so who cares? Ultrafast trams between the pressure vessel and outer skin for transit axially, surface trams and elevators with stabilized capsules for circumferential travel.

I made it surface trams for axial transit that stop at the poles (where gravity is lowest) so passengers can switch to a line going in the other direction.

Venus gets acid-proof floating cities kept hovering by hydrogen balloons and giant cold fusion engines, drifting through the upper atmosphere at 212 miles per hour.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, isn't the backstory for Armageddon that Mason blew up everything that made Mars worth living on and generally ruined the quality of life for everyone?

Life is pretty normal at the start of Armageddon if I remember correctly, but a terrorist destroys the terraformers (apparently Mars needs constant energy being put out to maintain the terraforming instead of just miraculously transforming the surface into a livable environment) and turns the surface into a wind-blasted wasteland that forces everyone to live underground where all the aliens got sealed up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SIGSEGV posted:

There's regular heavy metal poisoning and then there's swimming in organic mercury compounds to find enough old metal to forge a sword for your feudal lord.

This sounds like a very badass fantasy/sci-fi setting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ceebees posted:

I'd like to place my early bet that the problem of the EDF Hydra is solved by Mason pointing the nano-rifle in the direction of Space and firing twenty or thirty times.

I need to bring this post back to point out that yes, Ceebees was absolutely right. "Shoot the nano-rifle" is basically Samanya's plan, just on a different scale.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Panboy posted:

Im pretty sure the notes your finding are from survivors of Redfaction one, Parker pretty much left Ultor as burning wreck, and then they became the Marauders, And that was generations ago, I'm not sure how long the time gap is though. Also im not sure the current marauders would really be scientists even if their grandparents were. More like a techno cult.

Guerrilla takes place in 2125, while the original Red Faction was in 2075. It's been 50 years since Ultor was blown to poo poo and the EDF took over control of Mars. This means the current Marauders are likely the children and grandchildren of the original Ultor scientists, while the elderly would be the original scientists themselves.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Panboy posted:

That was a pretty good play trough, quite enjoyed it had fun GG.

The pick axe is a call back to the original game.

Also you should play the first one know its also a good game, not as much exploding mind you, its very much an early 2000s shooter with the great gimmick that is the geo mod. Ive been trying to play redfaction 2 to complete my experience of the full franchise its got more geomod that i recalled but its quite a slog so i cant really recommend it. Also Armageddon is a decent game not really deserving of the bad rep it got its a fun shooter it just has a very different feel being a linear game coming after a sand box.

I'm of the opinion that Armageddon would have been very well received if it was standing alone on its own merits. Unfortunately, it was coming off the back of a sandbox game that prided itself on heavy use of a really unique destruction mechanic that still hasn't really been replicated on the same scale in a big budget game. The only way Armageddon could have gotten a good reaction would be to build on it and go bigger. Instead, it tried to apply the exact same mechanics to a linear corridor shooter in primarily non-destructible environments.

It's like going from eating really great, fresh Thai food to eating a frozen Thai entree from Walmart: it's the same ingredients, but not presented as well and only comes off worse by comparing it to what you had before.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

YeOldeButchere posted:

Mason is totally fine with the body count. This is a man who did not hesitate one bit before starting to cave in faces with a sledgehammer or stick demolition charge to people and watch as they desperately flail around before blowing them up. Or, you know, disintegrate them despite their horrible screams every time he does it.

As for who will govern Mars and all that, obviously Mason is going to be the King of Mars.

There's actually between-games canon material that covers exactly what goes on in the buildup to Armageddon. The Red Faction and Marauders divide Mars between them, with the Marauder state in the Badlands and the Red Faction state based in Eos, with disputed territory between them. The remnants of Earth Government are hunted down, but enough survive to form their own White Faction that becomes the new rebellion against the Martian government.

Alec Mason and Samanya settle down and have kids, but only 5 years after the revolution Samanya gets assassinated by a White Faction strike team disguised as Marauders and their daughter is kidnapped. Alec falls into depression and alcoholism for the next 20 years as the attack is blamed on the Marauders. 25 years after the revolution, the Hydra wreckage exits orbit and crashes on Mars and the White Faction kills the Marauder scout team sent to investigate, blaming it on the colonists. Alec Mason's son, Jake (a soldier in the Red Faction), witnesses the White Faction and just barely manages to prove their existence before Red Faction and the Marauders engage in open warfare. The White Faction reveals that they have another ship of the same model as the Hydra, but Alec Mason sacrifices himself by crashing a ship into it and destroying it. Jake also rescues his sister from the White Faction.

Jake Mason becomes the leader of a new Red Faction government of both colonists and Marauders, hoping to lead to an era of peace and understanding between the peoples. Adam Hale, the young leader of the White Faction (thrust into the position after the original head was killed in battle), survives the destruction of his ship and forms a cult based on an offshoot of Marauder culture. He goes completely insane and in 2170 (45 years after the revolution) destroys the Terraformer, setting up the events of Armageddon.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It all got put into Red Faction Origins, a SyFy movie that they were hoping could act as a TV pilot. As far as I know, the movie wasn't too popular and they're not currently going forward with a Red Faction TV series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CESsM9ia-rk

Edit: Yes, that is loving old man Robert Patrick as Alec Mason.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 22, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Teledahn posted:

I'm curious how the martians managed to depose earth's government from mars. Mars is far away from earth, last I checked.
Also I would have thought small matters like 'number of space battleships in service' would be easy to keep straight.

It's all fairly non-sense though.

I'm guessing the distance is exactly why the Martians were able to gain independence in the first place. It takes a lot of resources to build up an invading force, especially after the planet-destroying pride of your space fleet got turned into scrap metal before it could even do anything and everyone still alive on the ground was left running and hiding.

Apparently the Hydra was the first ship ever in that class of dreadnoughts, and the second ship was built by the White Faction. They needed the wreckage of the Hydra to finish it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

The blackhole gun is a lot of fun but in the way that the Sledgehammer is the greatest and most simple of weapons in this game, the Magnet Gun is in that game.

And you still have a sledgehammer I think. It also gives you a lot more opportunities to smash dudes with the building they are standing on/in, which is something I wish this game had. I love it's openworldness and freeform destruction, but I'd love a game in this engine that had smaller, more confined levels with more 'wreck this poo poo' setpieces.

Armageddon still has the sledgehammer, but they fully open all 4 slots instead of forcing you to take it so there's actually a reason for alternate melee weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

The audio logs suggest that that's the idea, yeah, combined with general degeneration from the harsh environment, scarce resources, and eternally being hunted by the EDF.

The most hilarious part is that within 2 generations the kids completely forgot about everything just being an act and went straight-up tribal. Like their grandparents were actively Ultor scientists putting on a show to scare away the EDF and their parents probably grew up knowing that.

I want to imagine that Samanya and Vasha's generation is just incredibly stupid and ignored their parents when they tried to tell them "No seriously, guys, you don't have to do the weird voices and wear bone masks when we're at home. We were just trying to scare off the colonis---aaaaand you're decorating a shotgun with skulls. Good."

• Locked thread