Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Welcome to Auspol December.

Image by MaliciousOnion.

Last Month:
Negligent trolled some people.
Turnbull assigned Noted Child Torture Engineer Scott Morrison to the position of treasurer, this set off the LNP far right wing to denounce Morrison as their lord and savior and decided a potato was more right wing and deserving of their worship.
Wyatt Roy drew the short straw and is the current LNP scapegoat.
Boats were towed back to indonesia, Australia smuggled people onto shore, we were eventually told about this.
The NBN got more expensive and fell further behind.
The offshore detention centres were partly burned down in a riot, the media portrayed this as uppity browns being insolent. The riot was quelled with force.
Tony Abbott said some stupid poo poo to europeans and the cameras recorded it instead of ignoring him, he came home and sat on the backbench.
Blop Spitstorm's ratings dropped further, leadership speculation. yawn.
Bench Stacking
Racist bogan with a face tattoo claimed he wasnt racist and had a buddy from bangladesh he called Bangladesh.
Fiona Patten tabled a bill to exclude protests from 150m of a sexual health clinic and the Victorian parliament passed it. Religious placard carriers were told to move.
Boomers Raged, Bolt reported, Clive claimed responsibility for rolling Abbott.
Scott Ludlum played D&D at PAX
PARIS
SYRIA
Russian plane shot down, Bill shorten makes a face like a puckered rear end in a top hat, Turnbull winces.
Discussion about speed limits
More but this list is getting long.

Whos in politics?

The Australian Greens
Placed first since almost everyone who regularly posts in this thread is a member. The Greens are a left wing party of hippies who have unreasonable and impractical policy ideas and an infantile fascination with fairness and decency. They stubbornly refuse to give up and accept that the only way to make real change in the world is to roll over and accept neoliberal rule.

The Australian Labor Party
The ineffective and incompetent right wing opposition party led by an empty suit. Subject to numerous attempts at "change from within" that would be laughable if they weren't so sad. As an ineffective alternative to the government it has meekly agreed with almost everything the government wants to do that involves the brutal treatment and dehumanisation of refugees.

The Australian Liberal Party
The Liberal Party stands for just about every wrong headed thing you can think of. As a result they are wildly popular among both the rich shithead and poor shithead demographics. Sadly these are large demographics in Australia. They have recently been reaching out to the Fascist demographic as well. Their only saving grace is that they are so incompetent that they can't do so much as sneeze without making GBS threads themselves publicly.

Palmer United Party
A comedy party led by Mining magnate Clive Palmer who is the only person who rightly treats public office like the media circus it is. He bids outgoing members goodbye and rehashes popular dance songs into campaign jingles while dressing in fursuits.

The National Party
<placeholder>

The Australian Sex Party
Like the Greens but with human policies put above environmental ones the ASP is led by Fiona Patten and would like to see drugs legalised, abortion legalised, reduced religious influence in politics and a bunch of other touchy feely stuff. Unf.

Katters Australia Party
A more functional National party resident in Queensland led by Bob Katter, a ten gallon hat wearing homophobe.

There is an irc channel, #auspol on synirc where Australians discuss things, presumably dark spooky things that man was not meant to know.

IRC Rules: Dont be a shithead, dont say racist, sexist, or nasty things. Dont discuss verboten topics.

bumpunisher69

Heres a link to a past thread with more info in it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739446

Now on with the show.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First post

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Ground floor on this heezy.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
eh, I like the other thread better because I got the first post

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I was talking to my uncle yesterday and found out my cousin is a staffer for Scott Morrison. :wtc:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Some eco chamber this is, can't even fart out some effortpost diarrhea 12 times a year

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

No Negligent(s) allowed, please comply.

E: God drat it.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wait I missed the hive mind consensus on the sex party, did we decide they are good for disagreeing with amethyst on abortion protestors or are they a libertarian party run by the sex industry?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

quote:

A Sydney hotel supervisor has lost his job after making a sexist and offensive comment on the Facebook page of Fairfax Media columnist Clementine Ford.
The Meriton Group confirmed that Michael Nolan was no longer employed by the company, after he labelled Ford a "slut" when she spoke out publicly against misogyny and online harassment.
Ford, a weekly columnist for Daily Life, made a number of posts on her Facebook page on White Ribbon Day, which aims to prevent men's violence against women, in which she highlighted recent examples of online harassment she had received.

Ford included screenshots of a number of abusive messages that had been sent to her, including images Ford said were a "little violent in theme", and included unsolicited images of male genitalia. In one post, a man had suggested that Ford would "jibber less with a cock in [her] mouth".

In the comments on that post, Mr Nolan had responded on November 25 with the word: "Slut".
On his Facebook profile, Mr Nolan listed that he was a supervisor at Meriton Apartments, prompting Ford to tag the Meriton Group on Facebook and query whether they were aware that one of their employees was making such degrading comments.

She also took screenshots of a number of Mr Nolan's public Facebook posts, including racist and offensive jokes.
In a statement sent to Ford, Meriton Group said: "Meriton Group have now investigated the matter relating to the complaint made about Michael Nolan using inappropriate language on Facebook.
"Meriton Group does not condone this type of behaviour. Michael Nolan was removed from the Meriton site on Saturday 28th November pending an investigation, and as of 2:30pm today 30th November 2015, he no longer works for the Meriton Group."
Fairfax Media has contacted the Meriton Group and Mr Nolan for comment.

Ford originally said she highlighted Mr Nolan's comment because "these men don't get to just go around leaving these kinds of comments and attempting to degrade women just for the hell of it. Why should they get away with it? Why should there be no consequences at all for them?"
"There are basically no consequences for men who behave like this, so we have to start making consequences for them," she wrote.
After receiving a message from the Meriton Group confirming that Mr Nolan was no longer working for the company, Ford applauded the company's actions.
"Perhaps Michael will think twice next time before using his social media account to call a woman 'slut' when she speaks out against online misogyny. These men have rarely ever faced consequences for their actions, but that's starting to change," she said.
"To anyone who suggests I have caused a man to lose his job, I'd like to say this: No. He is responsible for his actions. He is responsible for the things he writes and the attitudes he holds."
A Facebook page, Support for Michael Nolan, has been created after it was revealed Mr Nolan had lost his job.
"This page was created in support of Michael Nolan who was fired of his job after calling a strong independent woman a 'slut'," the page says.
Earlier this year, Ford was besieged with threats of rape and violence after she spoke out about breakfast program Sunrise's attitude toward victims of nude photo hackings.
Sunrise's Facebook page had asked when women would get the message not to take nude photos, prompting Ford to share a semi nude photo of herself with "Hey #Sunrise get f***ed" written across her chest.
She shared the online responses from men who threatened her with physical and sexual violence, but in a stunning sequence of events, she was banned from Facebook for violating community standards.

A good day

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Wait I missed the hive mind consensus on the sex party, did we decide they are good for disagreeing with amethyst on abortion protestors or are they a libertarian party run by the sex industry?

I assume about 90% of their members joined so they could get a little card saying they were in the sex party. :wiggle:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah I joined the Tobacco and Gunpowder Party. It's a party for consenting adults who like to smoke the odd rollie and admire the craftsmanship of antique firearms. Nothing to do with any industry.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
pretty terrible OP imo, except for that first image

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Chafta will be here soon. What does this mean for you? Less pay.

quote:

In May 2014, China's consul general in Sydney, Li Huaxin, stressed the importance of relaxing visa requirements for Chinese workers. Then, in November of that year, Li Ruogu, the chairman and president of the Export-Import Bank of China, told Australia that its labour costs were too high and it needed more Chinese workers, urging a further opening of the labour market.

quote:

It is clear from global commercial examples that Chinese workers contracted for PRC economic activities abroad are usually paid their wages through accounts in China.

Alternatively, where restraints on this practice exist and they are paid locally in accordance with existing labour regulations, there have been many reported cases of workers being required to remit almost the entirety of their wages to China where state agencies or firms extracted their share and paid the remainder to workers' accounts.

If Chinese firms implement this model when they undertake projects in Australia, then whether or not the Australian Government declares that imported workers must be paid an award wage will be completely irrelevant, as all final accounting will be done by Chinese state organs or associated enterprises within China. As such, the cost of labour for such Chinese companies would be perhaps half of what labour costs would be to an Australian company.
Hoo-loving-ray

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Isn't Kommando a member or former member of the Sex Party?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Got emailed a change.org petition about drug taking at festivals - was expecting it to be "PM Turnbull, more drug dogs and lock up drug users for life" type thing but instead was calling for "drug checkers" which are already in place in the UK.

Anybody heard of these? Sounds like a good idea to at least avoid people taking mystery pills. Won't solve the issue of accidental OD due to police interference though.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

..ye--esss?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

iajanus posted:

A good day

Yay. Social media once again proves its worth.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kommando posted:

..ye--esss?

Just thought you'd be best equipped to respond to this:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

iajanus posted:

A good day

I dont think he should be fired for something that has nothing to do with his job.

If he made the post from a company account, or was representing the company at the time, it makes sense.

I mean if you're ok with people getting fired for having lovely opinions y'all better lift your game.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Just thought you'd be best equipped to respond to this:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

And i'm still a member of the pirate party because they survived the de-registration apocalypse. Turns out nerds are very good at emailing people to fill out online forms so that everything's up to date. Their whole online system is pretty fascinating. They have digital ballots where you can vote on candidates and motions. Imagine if the other major parties used a similar system, maybe they would start be a little more accountable to their members hahahahaha.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I dont think he should be fired for something that has nothing to do with his job.

If he made the post from a company account, or was representing the company at the time, it makes sense.

I mean if you're ok with people getting fired for having lovely opinions y'all better lift your game.

If I was filmed wearing a company branded shirt shouting sexual abuse at a woman in public you'd bet I'd probably get fired. Same poo poo applies if you associate your social media account with your company.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Laserface posted:

A dumb and wrong opinion from Laserface? Someone check my pulse my heart is racing

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Australia is terrible.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Laserface posted:

If someone wants to associate their public and professional lives on social media then they waive any right not to have the two interfere with each other. I mean, if I posted my real name and employer on a big sign in my front yard and also wrote on it that I wished that minorities were thrown into a woodchipper then my employer has every right to publicly distance themselves from me.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love that internet culture is so ingrained in our lives that nonstop virulent abuse is something that just needs to be endured apparently

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Greens Deputy Leader Scott Ludlam is under fire this morning after the outspoken anti-nuclear advocate was revealed to be powered by a nuclear reactor embedded deep inside his chest.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

I love that internet culture is so ingrained in our lives that nonstop virulent abuse is something that just needs to be endured apparently

Well yeah, obviously. The internet isn't even real, idiot!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Countdown to trollopaclypse...

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I was going to steal this months thread but in the end I couldn't really be bothered. I spent too much time playing Just Cause 2 instead.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Greens Deputy Leader Scott Ludlam is under fire this morning after the outspoken anti-nuclear advocate was revealed to be powered by a nuclear reactor embedded deep inside his chest.

Scott Ludlam: Literally Metallo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao black lung is making a comeback in qld.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Hello friends

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SKY COQ posted:

Hello friends

Hello darkness my old friend

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

*Just in case you don't know*

If you're a casual, you won't get sick pay or holiday pay, but you'll get 25% more pay to make up for this.

If you're permanent part time or permanent, you get sick leave and annual leave and long service leave.

If you're a contractor, chances are you're being hosed.

https://calculate.fairwork.gov.au/ this can help

Join your union. Don't join the Shoppies.

Know your award, and check you're being paid correctly.

Check your super, are they actually paying the right amount or paying it all?

ACTU helpline: 1300 486 466
Fair work Australia: 13 13 94

You need legal support in case poo poo happens at work. You get hurt, someone else gets hurt, you get accused of stealing, etc. You need legal advice. You can get free legal advice through your union by paying your membership fee. $200 a year is better than paying the $200+ an hour you would have to if you hire a lawyer. There is free legal support that can help, but might not be able to in your case.

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/legal-aid-nsw-offices
https://legalaid.vic.gov.au/
http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
First post.

Other people posted before this but they don't count because they're poo poo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

A dumb and wrong opinion from Laserface? Someone check my pulse my heart is racing

If someone is a oval office (like you) and theyre not being being paid by your employer, why is it any of your employers business?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

If someone is a oval office (like you) and theyre not being being paid by your employer, why is it any of your employers business?

Don't use gendered slurs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Starshark posted:

Don't use gendered slurs.

oh im sorry i forgot this is a saaaafe spaaace for loving dags who cant handle words on a screen they are voluntarily reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Abbott is P I S S E D

quote:

Tony Abbott has unleashed a public attack on his former deputy, Julie Bishop, to accuse her of telling falsehoods.

In a new outbreak of recriminations over the leadership coup, Mr Abbott has made a four-point repudiation of the Foreign Affairs Minister and deputy Liberal leader.

The former prime minister told Fairfax Media it was "false" that Ms Bishop had warned him of a phone call where Malcolm Turnbull was making plans for a post-Abbott government seven months before he challenged for the leadership.

The call was a clear sign that Mr Turnbull, then communications minister, was considering a leadership strike against Mr Abbott.

In the February 8 call, Mr Turnbull offered Scott Morrison the treasurer's post in a future Turnbull government, as disclosed by Fairfax Media's Shirtfronted series this week.

Ms Bishop was in the same room as Mr Turnbull at the time, a silent participant in the call. The three continued to serve in the Abbott cabinet for another seven months and six days.

When Ms Bishop was asked on Channel Nine on Tuesday whether she had told Mr Abbott about the call, she responded: "Of course, of course."

But Mr Abbott said: "The claim that Julie Bishop made on Channel Nine that she told me about the conversation between Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison that she witnessed is false."

On a second point, Mr Abbott said it was not true that Ms Bishop had urged him to appoint two more women to his first cabinet.

In part two of Fairfax's Shirtfronted, Ms Bishop is said to have suggested that Marise Payne and Sussan Ley be appointed to the cabinet, but met opposition from Mr Abbott's then chief of staff, Peta Credlin, during a leadership dinner at Canberra's Ottoman restaurant soon after winning power.

But Mr Abbott told Fairfax Media: "The suggestion that Julie Bishop lobbied me to get Marise Payne and Sussan Ley into cabinet in September 2013 is false. The suggestion that Peta Credlin opposed that is also false."

Mr Abbott also took issue with two more of Ms Bishop's comments on Channel Nine.

He challenged her remark that his cabinet had held firm during the first and unsuccessful leadership spill in February.

Ms Bishop had said: "The cabinet held absolutely firm and 39 people voted for the spill, even though there was no leadership contender," Ms Bishop said.

"Tony Abbott then said that he wanted six months to turn things around and when the next spill motion came, 54 members of the party voted for a new leader. That's how I saw the situation," she said.

"I certainly was not aware of white-anting, although I'm sure that the former prime minister has a number of concerns about what went on in those last six months of his time as prime minister."

Mr Abbott said: "Julie Bishop's claim that the cabinet was solidly behind me was rendered ridiculous by the leaking that so obviously took place."

Most conspicuous was Fairfax Media's coverage of a cabinet revolt over Mr Abbott's proposed changes to citizenship laws.

Ms Bishop said that Mr Abbott was mistaken to have said that he'd been "white-anted" from within.

She said the former prime minister was undone by his own performance as leader.

Mr Abbott rejected this too: "If that's true, why has the government not changed any of its key policies?"

Finally, Mr Abbott rejected the general proposition that he might have saved his prime ministership if he'd removed the controversial Ms Credlin and his treasurer, Joe Hockey.

"The idea that Malcolm Turnbull would have been content to remain a minister if only I'd sacked Credlin and Hockey is fatuous."

He was always going to go out screaming rather than quietly.

• Locked thread