Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://theconversation.com/back-to-the-wall-brough-dramatically-switches-his-story-on-slipper-diary-51677

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Laserface posted:

the year is 2050.

every house in australia can is required by law to have up to 2 poker machines per person.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well she does make one good point but it's kind of buried.

quote:

Doctors can be as crazy, unwise, mistaken and misguided as anyone.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 2, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I kinda have the primal urge to buy an AMD CPU and burn Negligent with it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Good morning Auspol!

A Letter Signed by 600 Detainees on Manus Island Pleads for Their Assisted Suicide

http://www.vice.com/read/a-letter-signed-by-600-detainees-on-manus-island-is-pleading-for-their-assisted-suicide

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 2, 2015

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Good morning Auspol!

A Letter Signed by 600 Detainees on Manus Island Pleads for Their Assisted Suicide

http://www.vice.com/read/a-letter-signed-by-600-detainees-on-manus-island-is-pleading-for-their-assisted-suicide

gently caress

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Good morning Auspol!

ah cripes.

:cripes:

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Greens voting with LNP to ensure 500 companies can keep their tax disclosure secret.

Another sell out. They really are trying to come in to the mainstream. You guys turning a blind eye?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm so outraged I might vote for the ALP.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

Greens voting with LNP to ensure 500 companies can keep their tax disclosure secret.

Another sell out. They really are trying to come in to the mainstream. You guys turning a blind eye?

Got a link? Because that seems like a huge walkback on the greens policy of transparency.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's a thing on the Guardian blog about it.

quote:

The Greens have secured two amendments:

One will force multinational corporations with global revenue of $1bn or more to prepare “general purpose” financial statements. Currently they have to prepare documents called special purpose statements. This particular amendment was originally rejected by treasurer Scott Morrison when it was sent to the House of Representatives last week.

The second will end an exemption for private companies with revenue over $200m from having to disclose their tax affairs. The Greens say this will expose 281 large companies currently shielded from transparency.

The Greens will sell this as a victory for tax transparency. I predict Labor and others will not characterise today’s agreement in quite those terms.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
from what I'm reading on the tweets the greens walk back consisted of accepting a $200m threshold on private group transparency instead of the originally proposed $100m

in exchange for now general purpose reporting by MNCs.

the latter is a far bigger deal than the former, but trust smellmo to try for the cheap shot

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

it's called compromise.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ScreamingLlama posted:

I just got a letter today from the Administrative Appeals Tribunal informing me that my appeal was successful and I can stay in the DLP.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Grats I guess.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/productivity-commission-finds-poor-progess/6996722

quote:

Productivity Commission finds poor progress made on Closing the Gap Thursday 3 December 2015 7:43AM (view full episode)

Seven years ago, Australian governments pledged to 'Close the Gap' on Indigenous disadvantage, setting six ambitious targets from life expectancy, to early childhood education and employment. For the first time, the Productivity Commission has assessed progress on the Closing the Gap targets—and its findings are grim. Employment outcomes are worse than they were in 2008, and targets for life expectancy are unlikely to be met.

To discuss the report's findings, Productivity Commission chair, Peter Harris joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

And does the Productivity Commission have any worthwhile answers? *laugh track* For one of the most high profile and trumpetted public health issues this is a savage indictment of all the hand wringing interventionist busy bodying that has actually made poo poo go backwards. Peter Harris, you are not worth the minimum wage that you are so keen to reduce.

-/-

If you watch the parliamentary proceedings on one day of the year make it today. I can't obviously tell the future but I suspect it will include tears and recriminations. Well that and a bunch of dodgy bad legislation being passed by the ALNP.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

from what I'm reading on the tweets the greens walk back consisted of accepting a $200m threshold on private group transparency instead of the originally proposed $100m

in exchange for now general purpose reporting by MNCs.

the latter is a far bigger deal than the former, but trust smellmo to try for the cheap shot

Gain access to 280 companies. Leaving 500 still able to hide.

Your party buckled and gave in. The LNP are very happy with the outcome. Just like they were this time last year when they tricked Muir on children in detention.

Greens got played.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Kommando posted:

it's called compromise.

Yeah. A bad one.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Kommando posted:

it's called compromise.

Yeah, like, do you really want to Aus Greens to end up like the US Greens, i.e. a useless fringe party full of loons driven by ideological purity over practicality?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want them to suicide bomb parliament house

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a particularly good compromise.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

then direct complaints to your greens member.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wow Jordies latest video is sucking ALP dick so hard.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
drat the greens have failed once again in their attempts to appeal to the young labor true believer demographic

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

EvilElmo posted:

Gain access to 280 companies. Leaving 500 still able to hide.

Your party buckled and gave in. The LNP are very happy with the outcome. Just like they were this time last year when they tricked Muir on children in detention.

Greens got played.

They're not my party you twit. In terms of the effect on revenue, the non-reporting by private companies in the $100m to $200m segment will be negligible compared to the country-by-country and general purpose reporting provisions for MNCs. Besides, there is already a fairly good compliance program in place for those groups falling in the $100m - $200m range.

This isn't really the issue you're looking for to kick them with.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

drat the greens have failed once again in their attempts to appeal to the young labor true believer demographic

:golfclap:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

EXAKT Science posted:

Yeah, like, do you really want to Aus Greens to end up like the US Greens, i.e. a useless fringe party full of loons driven by ideological purity over practicality?

It's this kind of thinking that got us the Labor party.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Labor compromised their values in order to appeal to populism.

Greens making compromises which I might not necessarily agree with in order to get through good amendments is something I'm ok with.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

open24hours posted:

That's not an unfair point. I'm just saying that hewing steadfast to pure ideology has dangers of its own.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

asio posted:

The lack of care in social support segues nicely into this argument against euthanasia:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue...dc245-302703509

Effectively it's a doctor saying that euthanasia is a poor euphemism for killing, and that the push to legalise reflects an attitude that caring is too hard.

quote:

'Robbed of my living and dying'

JUST a month before her 31st birthday and half a lifetime since she was diagnosed with debilitating Crohn's disease at 15, Angelique Flowers was told she had colon cancer. It was so advanced and aggressive she was given only months to live.

Her plans for a peaceful death were thwarted when she suffered the feared bowel obstruction. She died on August 19.

Her older brother Damian, 34, was with her when she died, and believes she was still in pain despite massive doses of morphine and other painkillers.

In her last hour, he held a bowl under his sister's chin as she vomited faecal matter.

People with bowel obstruction also "sweat" faeces out of their skin and only get to die after horrific suffering as their own waste backs up until they are literally choking on their own poo poo and need someone, often another family member, to reach down their throat and do everything thing they can to try and scoop out enough of it so that they can breathe again.

This repeats over and over again, with all dignity lost, pain beyond the ability to bear and absolute exhaustion but it just doesn't loving end. At this point the person cannot even beg for death as they can no longer speak from all the poo poo clogging their throat.

Just unimaginable suffering until they finally die.

No one who has ever seen a loved one die like this, who has ever held them screaming for them to wake up as they desperately try to dig the poo poo out of their mouth and throat so they can maybe, just maybe, take one more breath, stands against the right of someone to die on their own terms. Before the pain becomes too much. Before all dignity is lost. Before life itself becomes an endless nightmare.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Gorilla Salad posted:

People with bowel obstruction also "sweat" faeces out of their skin and only get to die after horrific suffering as their own waste backs up until they are literally choking on their own poo poo and need someone, often another family member, to reach down their throat and do everything thing they can to try and scoop out enough of it so that they can breathe again.

This repeats over and over again, with all dignity lost, pain beyond the ability to bear and absolute exhaustion but it just doesn't loving end. At this point the person cannot even beg for death as they can no longer speak from all the poo poo clogging their throat.

Just unimaginable suffering until they finally die.

No one who has ever seen a loved one die like this, who has ever held them screaming for them to wake up as they desperately try to dig the poo poo out of their mouth and throat so they can maybe, just maybe, take one more breath, stands against the right of someone to die on their own terms. Before the pain becomes too much. Before all dignity is lost. Before life itself becomes an endless nightmare.

loving hell.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Good morning Auspol!

first response when I shared this to fb

David posted:

FFS Drew. They went past 20 other countries before stopping here. Australia has EVERY right to establish their identity and actual status before making a decision on their applications and if they would stop destroying their paperwork before they arrive it would go much faster for them. They can ask to go elsewhere at any time they like. They are not being illegally detained. Get off your effing high horse.

outside the echo chamber of the thread this is what your average Australian believes.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Turns out copper phone lines are poo poo? Who would have guessed...

$641 million: NBN copper remediation costs blows out ten times

https://delimiter.com.au/2015/12/03/641-million-nbn-copper-remediation-costs-blows-out-ten-times/

quote:

A new set of leaked documents have revealed that the NBN company underestimated the cost of remediating Telstra’s copper network by a factor of ten in its November 2013 Strategic Review, with the actual cost ballooning out by a factor of ten times to cost the NBN company about $641 million.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they'd estimated it correctly they would been called Labor shills and Abbott would have got the wrong estimates he wanted from someone else.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Ian McFarlene just defected to the Nationals. Splits.

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/ian-macfarlane-defects-to-nationals-in-shock-for-malcolm-turnbull-20151202-gle3bm

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Not sure why the Nats would offer him a leadership position. Dude has the charisma of a brick.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Not sure why the Nats would offer him a leadership position. Dude has the charisma of a brick.

As a useful counterweight to the threat of an ambitious Barnaby Joyce.

Bear in mind that Joyce may be under threat if Tony Windsor chooses to run for his old seat.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

NTRabbit posted:

You say that like it's easy to live on the pittance centrelink provides.

Nevermind the fact that it should not in any way be unpleasant or difficult for students to receive Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy, nor should those students have any kind of idiotic Tory shame and judgment, for leaning when they should be working, heaped on them for claiming the payments - with most of that coming from shitlords, coasting their way through on fees paid up front and in full by mum and dad's money, hopefully all the way along to the wall they'll be put against one day.

Well did you notice that in my post I'm talking about the experience of interacting with centrelink staff and not any ideological debate

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Letter my friend in North Sydney just got from dear leader.

e: spot the many jokes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Malcolm Turnbull the Prime Minister and Malcolm Turnbull the pseudo UBER CEO are two separate people and he interchangeably fronts the media as one of them.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I'm in the electorate, where is my letter? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Malcolm Turnbull is the Nintendo Wii of Prime Ministers. Yells innovation from the mountaintops while mostly being the same as his predecessor on the inside.

• Locked thread