Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will this be the best christmas ever?
This poll is closed.
Yes! 12 4.63%
Of course yes! 15 5.79%
Waluigi 165 63.71%
I'm Guy (from Final Fight) 67 25.87%
Total: 259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I hate friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rooty Tooty Scroll and Shooty

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I picked up OlliOlli2 before the sale ended and holy crap this game is fun. Only downside is my years of Tony Hawk are showing and I keep trying to use A to jump and Y to grind etc, but that's more my problem.
e: also people are mad at undertale for some reason??? I haven't played it beyond the first 45 minutes and I haven't been following that much

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Instant Sunrise posted:

i don't think that undertale is a bad game by any means, but it seems kinda flash in the pan like that baseball game tumblr was obsessed with 2 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw&t=18s

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I dunno, they're both pretty seminal games, I voted SMB3 but I don't begrudge Pokemon Gen I for winning. Undertale had it's fun though, it beat Fallout 3 which I like but the line has to be drawn somewhere and that should have been SMW. These are messed up times we live in ...

This. I'm having trouble comprehending the fact that anybody, even deluded people, would consider it a better game than SMW. At this point it's not about the result of the poll, but the fact that these people exist and it boggles my mind.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
who gives a poo poo there's probably a ton of ironic voting, hate voting, etc going on on both sides

like those people "exist", but other types of people who exist are people who get bored watching two final fantasy games or two mario games compete for BEST GAME OF ALL TIME user polls, or people who have a rabid, fervent hatred of nintendo, for example

you could probably put a fake game that doesn't exist against final fantasy 7 and it would get 25% of the votes

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 1, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think it's a pretty good game. Mechanically it's probably one of the only storygames I've played which actually has robust, enjoyable mechanics, so I definitely recommend it there. It really depends on whether you like sentimental feels-games; there's alot of power of friendship stuff, executed very well in my opinion, but if that's categorically a turn off for you, you probably won't get much out of it. Also the soundtrack in phenomenal

I think I'll give it a shot sometime, thanks.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rooty Tooty Scroll and Shooty

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
for the record, the game i was thinking of was OFF

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i do not read gamefaqs, though I very rarely still do browse the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
How dare anyone question the accuracy of a gamefaqs poll

All respondents are properly vetted and answer the questions with utmost sincerity

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I actually use the occasional actual faq on gamefaqs but the community has always seemed pretty not good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Gamefaqs does still actually have, you know, useful FAQs for Games.

My wife is much younger than me and when she gets stuck in a game she looks up a YouTube video for the part she's stuck on. It's weird.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

My wife is much younger than me and when she gets stuck in a game she looks up a YouTube video for the part she's stuck on.

Should we be concerned

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The gameplay is a cross between a JRPG and a shmup, and in general it seems like people who like JRPGs and are at least not incompetent at shmups enjoy playing Undertale and people who hate JRPGs and suck rear end at shmups do not. I like JRPGs and I liked playing it.

Also is there a better word for "shooter like Gradius, not shooter like Doom" than "shmup" because it's a gross word.

Vertical or Horizontal Shooter.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
my favorite thing about gamefaqs was the ascii art

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Should we be concerned

Well I have no idea why anyone would prefer watching a video rather than just reading something, if only to save time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gamefaqs faqs are actually p. bad. it's most obvious when you're looking at ones for RPGs, where the recommended battle strategy is almost always "be 20 levels higher than any sane person would be at this point", no matter how easy the game is.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 2, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

^^^ and

Anime entryists detected

For real though KH2 is not very good.

neither is the last of us

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Do faq writers still make it painfully obvious which female character they consider the sexiest?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Motto posted:

gamefaqs faqs are actually p. bad. it's most obvious when you're looking ones for RPGs, where the recommended battle strategy is almost always "be 20 levels higher than any sane person would be at this point", no matter how easy the game is.

Yeah those are pretty godawful. It's saved my bacon helping out with obscure sidequests and opaque progression requirements more times than I can count though, it definitely provides an important service to gaming

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

gamefaqs faqs are actually p. bad. it's most obvious when you're looking ones for RPGs, where the recommended battle strategy is almost always "be 20 levels higher than any sane person would be at this point", no matter how easy the game is.

eh this is a mixed bag; some faqs and authors are way better than others and most "official" guides and walkthroughs by prima from the old days or whatever are totally worthless garbage too

strategy guides had the benefit of nice concept art and screenshots and stuff sometimes tho

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

precision posted:

My wife is much younger than me and when she gets stuck in a game she looks up a YouTube video for the part she's stuck on. It's weird.

sever

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Undertale beat SMW because it came out recently and therefore has flavour of the month appeal,

SMW is almost definitely the better game though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Undertale is less a shmup and more a Warioware-like. It's not just dodging projectiles but platforming, rhythm games, a vertical shooter, a sidescroller, and even a trivia game.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Oh my god gamefaqs still exists? Hahaha

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The gameplay is a cross between a JRPG and a shmup, and in general it seems like people who like JRPGs and are at least not incompetent at shmups enjoy playing Undertale and people who hate JRPGs and suck rear end at shmups do not. I like JRPGs and I liked playing it.

Also is there a better word for "shooter like Gradius, not shooter like Doom" than "shmup" because it's a gross word.

Japan usually refers to them as just Shooting Games or STGs for short.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

Oh my god gamefaqs still exists? Hahaha

Gamefaqs is a good place for walkthroughs and so I don't really mind that it still exists even if their community is only a few steps above that of the comment section on youtube.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Eonwe posted:

thank you to Adam Bowen for gifting me Shower with your Dad Simulator 2015: Do you Still Shower with your Dad

PROTIP: black dad is easy mode

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

axleblaze posted:

Gamefaqs is a good place for walkthroughs and so I don't really mind that it still exists even if their community is only a few steps above that of the comment section on youtube.

I can't remember the last time I had to use gamefaqs. Even the most obscure games have a wiki these days and that format is so much better and intuitive for gaming guides/walkthroughs than a wall of text you navigate by searching for chapter 8 section 7 mk 3.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

I can't remember the last time I had to use gamefaqs. Even the most obscure games have a wiki these days and that format is so much better and intuitive for gaming guides/walkthroughs than a wall of text you navigate by searching for chapter 8 section 7 mk 3.

The template must be really easy to use, but it still amazes me how quickly those pop up these days, and even without any idiots setting up competing wikis and starting dumb internet drama.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
gamefaqs is the best place for Fire Emblem Support FAQs so it's not all bad

just the forums are, i mean wow they stink

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Yea, but the actual wiki itself is rarely populated with the tips or information you need, most of the time the walkthrough stuff is just a stub and most of the writing on the wiki is the plot or who the characters are.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

where is the wiki for ogre battle 64

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Looper posted:

where is the wiki for ogre battle 64

http://ogrebattlesaga.wikia.com/wiki/Ogre_Battle_Saga_Wiki

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

this is kinda blowing my mind right now, there's still a faq that is overall more informative but it's only a matter of time...

MakeWarHarmlesser
Jun 29, 2009

precision posted:

is Jazzpunk worth full price? it kinda looks like it might be.
I remember it being only 2-3 hours long, so $15 is a little steep unless you really like leslie Nielsen movies.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
kingdom hearts have unique gameplay, tlou have cinematic stuff over a tired gameplay and good graphics, I guess it's just a mater of preference

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

program666 posted:

kingdom hearts have unique gameplay, tlou have cinematic stuff over a tired gameplay and good graphics, I guess it's just a mater of preference

Yeah, people (rightfully) bash the three-hour prologue chapter and the heaping helpings of anime bullshit but Kingdom Hearts 2 is rad as gently caress to actually play. The final boss kicks rear end, it's like an hour long and has half a dozen forms and by the end you're murdering an entire living city with a laser-spewing flying motorcycle and then deflecting a zillion lasers at once.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I only really played BBS so I only learned what the story is even supposed to be afterwards, but who cares, it's the kick-rear end if flawed rpg combat that I really wanted square enix or someone else to refine it and do something more interesting with it. But as it is it's pretty great and DIssidia is even better, but I wanted a full rpg of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BBS has the best gameplay and system mechanics in the series, provided you don't just use mines which are basically the most busted thing in the game.

• Locked thread