Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Berke Negri posted:

That the vilerat movie is not actually about the people who died but quasi-fictional American soldiers* who didn't do anything is pretty fitting.
What's so asinine is that there's a legitimately good (and tragic) movie story that could be made about what happened in Benghazi, but that would be too loving hard and also mean acknowledging the reality of what happened and has been happening in Libya, so nope, make up some bullshit instead!

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Epic High Five posted:

If they thought it wasn't a lovely, forgettable movie they'd be releasing it in July

It's premiering at AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys :lol:

Source

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

That the vilerat movie is not actually about the people who died but quasi-fictional American soldiers* who didn't do anything is pretty fitting.

:lol: Seriously? I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but still...

Epic High Five posted:

If they thought it wasn't a lovely, forgettable movie they'd be releasing it in July

Eh...that movie about the dude who bragged about shooting black people during Katrina was also released around this time and made bank. And we also had that new alien movie that came out two weeks ago which is doing pretty well too.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
no i meant viletat itself not vilerat

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'd be shocked if the film wasn't already shot and only turned into a Ben Ghazi film later when someone got an idea to make an otherwise generic army film stand out. Everything about the film from the release date to the really boring concept once you get past the Ben Ghazi aspect makes it impossible to believe this is a serious film intended for a lot of people to see and make money on.

E:

Mr Interweb posted:

Eh...that movie about the dude who bragged about shooting black people during Katrina was also released around this time and made bank. And we also had that new alien movie that came out two weeks ago which is doing pretty well too.

For films, January - March are dump months where you release your poo poo films that won't do good. December is actually a perfect good movie release month so Star Wars went for it, but January flips around almost immedietly to poo poo. There are exceptions (Deadpool for example is a February film that Fox is banking hard on) but the general rule is your January films are either cheaper movies that could shine with less competition, or flops you want everyone to forget by spring.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 1, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Berke Negri posted:

say it right friend. they are mercs, sellswords, guns for hire, disposable soldiers for almighty dollar.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

It's almost like a building needs something more to collapse.... something like, oh I don't know, a plane crashing into it at high speed. Something like THAT would probably gently caress up a building pretty good.

Do the Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams crowd just think that 9/11 was terrorists breaking into the WTC to strap barrels of jet fuel to the beams and igniting them or something? The giant plane crashing into the building seems like it would kinda affect things.

The planes were holographic, hth

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

say it right friend. they are mercs, sellswords, guns for hire, disposable soldiers for almighty dollar.

Pirates in the barbary states? What a Hamiltonian twist!

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Berke Negri posted:

If it doesn't feature any eve online footage i'm only giving it one star

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Stahlregen get in!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Someone said they changed it to wow

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Luigi Thirty posted:

lmao CCP must be kicking themselves for not getting the king of all product placements.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
That sounds like a joke.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Berke Negri posted:

But it does include actors playing the four people who died. Sean Smith will be portrayed by Christopher Dingli whose past roles include Gollum and Various.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Came across an otherwise-unremarkable article that makes an interesting comparison - Marco Rubio isn't the Republican Obama, he's John Kerry.

Rubio is not a Republican Obama. And that’s his problem posted:

In some cosmic way, Rubio must know that he probably owes his ascendance in national politics to Obama’s. Every party goes looking for its version of the latest model; just as George W. Bush seemed to be the boomer antidote to Bill Clinton, Rubio arrived on the scene just as Republicans were scrambling to find their own personification of youth and inclusivity.
But 2016 is turning out to be nothing like 2008, and Rubio’s candidacy isn’t really much like Obama’s. For one thing, Obama benefited from having the kind of clear foil, in Hillary Clinton, whom Rubio had hoped to face in a much smaller field — older, establishment-backed, shadowed by a sense of dynastic entitlement.
Obama was also fortunate in that he could tap into a powerful constituency inside the party. Clinton needed African-Americans voters, but after Obama proved himself capable of winning in Iowa, those voters swung heavily into his column, changing the electoral math of the primaries. There is no corresponding bloc of Latino voters in the Republican Party, other than in a handful of states.
More to the point, though, Rubio isn’t anything like the fluid politician Obama was in 2008. It’s true that both men are essentially cool characters, more comfortable talking about policy than sharing emotions. But where Obama has always exuded preternatural confidence (some call it arrogance) and an informal, self-deprecating style, Rubio telegraphs caution and uncertainty.
Actually, if there’s a better analog for Rubio than Obama, it might be John Kerry in 2004. Like Rubio, Kerry was an elusive and insecure candidate, a senator who stepped through every conversation like it was a minefield from his youth in Vietnam.
But Kerry was also the perfect consensus candidate for a riven party — liberal enough to appease supporters of Howard Dean and establishment enough to reassure everyone else. He was both acceptable and electable.
It’s hard to think of any constituency in the Republican Party right now — evangelicals, libertarians, nativists — whose goal in life is to make Rubio our next president, as opposed to Cruz or Carson or Trump. But as I wrote last April, Rubio might still be the candidate who satisfies most of them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah Rubio is just like a war veteran who had already been famous for three decades and a senator for two. How like the cultured and worldly Kerry Rubio is; how like Kerry's measured stances, is Rubio's inability to adequately replenish his tissues with water.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Interweb posted:

There's "made bank" and then there's "memorable". You didn't even remember American Sniper's name, so if the Benghazi movie performs similarly then people are unlikely to remember it come summer.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
American Sniper was a pretty drat blockbuster movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Epic High Five posted:

Will we ever know why these poor, angry white men do this?
Exactly why was this chucklefuck showing up to locations where police had been called?

Like, what does he hope to accomplish? Videotape them as they receive instructions from the Bilderburg UN to start Order 66 and begin the FEMA roundups?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Rubio calling for a constitutional convention is right out of the Ron Paul playbook.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Party Plane Jones posted:

Rubio calling for a constitutional convention is right out of the Ron Paul playbook.

More importantly: right out of the Mark Levin actual book.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Joementum posted:

Somewhat problematic.

Elizabeth Warren is a Bernie supporter!? :3:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Paul MaudDib posted:

Elizabeth Warren is a Bernie supporter!? :3:

Do you mean Professor Warren?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

Do you mean Professor Warren?

Lets not start pretending we respect intelligentsia.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

American Sniper was a pretty drat blockbuster movie.

It also started limited release in December since they had it in mind as an Oscar candidate to start. December/January is the big divide for whether the producers have big hopes for a movie vs whether they're just dumping it out, even if it's a small release the first few weeks. Is Bayghazi out yet at all, or is it upcoming?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Luigi Thirty posted:

This only with Michael Bay driving

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Killer robot posted:

It also started limited release in December since they had it in mind as an Oscar candidate to start. December/January is the big divide for whether the producers have big hopes for a movie vs whether they're just dumping it out, even if it's a small release the first few weeks. Is Bayghazi out yet at all, or is it upcoming?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Raere posted:

I am eagerly awaiting Obama's post presidential tell all book. If I can get to a book signing I can meet him too!

I would love to sarcastically mutter 'Thanks Obama' after he signed my book.

I eagerly await post presidency Obama, I believe there is alot of stuff he can't/won't say and do as president.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The supernatural bullshit is optional, but you get to pick your own if you want it. So you have a fair number of atheist UUs, but also pagan UUs, vaguely pan(en)theist UUs like me, a smattering of Christian/Jewish/Islamic UUs, and a bunch of miscellaneous. It also varies heavily by congregation. The one closest to me is very strongly atheist/humanist, which I have nothing against but find a little boring, so I drive a little out of town to the one that has more pagans, deists, lapsed methodists, and cool atheists who are a little more chill about the rest of us having our weird superstitious nonsense.

It's definitely great if you have kids and want to help inoculate them against religious conversion attempts and other nasty bullshit they can run into, plus there's a comprehensive, LGBTQ-positive sexuality curriculum for Sunday school.

/churchchat

This is exactly what I was looking for when my wife and I went. Maybe I just went to the wrong one or on the wrong day. We went to the one in aptos. Maybe san jose?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Killer robot posted:

Nothing out now as far as I can tell.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Another ISIS-inspired plot thwarted.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
As long as ISIS tries to kill us with bombs instead of legally purchased guns, we''ll always be one step ahead of them! :911:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBlazer posted:

I eagerly await post presidency Obama, I believe there is alot of stuff he can't/won't say and do as president.

President / Chairman of BLM

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

President / Chairman of BLM

The title is director and it would be quite a demotion for Obama :v:

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
They just took this down. I hope their terrible joke was worth it. :thumbsup:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't worry, they made a sequel.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It's cute. Chill out a little.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

It's cute. Chill out a little.

It's not cute. It mocks the death of black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Started the new thread three hours early since I'm in EST today. My apologies to those of you west coasters who were counting on three more hours of USPOL December.

• Locked thread