Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Should work with 15.2.

Deleted the profile and it synced up just fine. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Emby storing watched status info against the TV/movie ID rather than the actual files has been very useful in my moving over to a storage pool rather than files dotted around everywhere.

I'd imagine it would have been a bit more involved if I'd done it on my mysql dB, which is why I'd not done it sooner.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Are they working an Emby app for the Xbox One? My buddy got called up overseas and left me his. I wanted to use it upstairs and maybe stream the occasional hockey game and movie from my library. The Plex app is still "in preview" apparently and I can't find an Emby app at all, just some old chat on a forum thread about it.

I believe it's out of preview and is free to download now.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Ixian posted:

Kodi users like it because it offers the kind of central media management and mobile/streamer client support that Plex does, while at the same time they (we) can continue to use Kodi on the devices that best support it, like a "primary" HTPC or a Shield or something.

As for why use Kodi over the native client, that is a different discussion. Honestly, I think the Emby (and for that matter, Plex) clients are just as nice and probably easier to use for folks new to this/random family/etc. Kodi does offer a number of things such as better addons and such and of course you can skin it to make it look as nice (or hideous) as you like, but the main difference right now in terms of pure functionality is Kodi can do refresh rate adjustments based on content, even on Android TV (on devices that support it) and Emby can't. Plex I believe just added it as a beta feature. This is a big deal for 24p movie playback (most blu ray sources) and the like.

The Emby Theater client changes refresh based on content and has MadVR baked in for resolution and chroma upscaling. Also passes dolby D and DTS out. Do people not know about Emby Theater and use the dumb web player? I don't know what the point of Kodi is now other than a skin.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The Emby Theater client changes refresh based on content and has MadVR baked in for resolution and chroma upscaling. Also passes dolby D and DTS out. Do people not know about Emby Theater and use the dumb web player? I don't know what the point of Kodi is now other than a skin.

Well, there's the small matter of Emby Theater being a Windows only client and we were talking about Android devices. And it's also end of life - they are working on a universal app for Windows now.

Other than that, sure, it's a fine client.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Customization, preference and enthusiast features. I actually use both Android Emby apps and Kodi, they are great for different reasons. The plugin for Kodi is excellent too.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Ah, ok.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What does Auto-organize do? The Wiki page is blank. I want to do the thing I think it's supposed to do, move/rename my files according to the metadata.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Has anyone gotten Emby DLNA working on the PS3? Whenever I Google for it I get several forum posts, all referencing UI features that I can't find, and I suspect are not in the current UI.

e: Answered my own question. I needed to add an Emby user corresponding to the logged-in user on the PS3. None of the clues I found in my Googling seem to reference user issues, so hopefully this will help someone someday.

pgroce fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 29, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know where the movie intro files are stored for the plugin? The ones that play in the background when selecting what you want to watch?
I have a problem with the same movie snippet playing in the background for most of the movies I select and I need to blow it out.

Also a new intro version of Emby Theater is out for paying guys. So I guess it isn't dead yet!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Does anyone know where the movie intro files are stored for the plugin? The ones that play in the background when selecting what you want to watch?
I have a problem with the same movie snippet playing in the background for most of the movies I select and I need to blow it out.

Also a new intro version of Emby Theater is out for paying guys. So I guess it isn't dead yet!

I am testing it. It's in serious alpha state, but that is expected. Should please the MadVR-Windows HTPC holdouts though.

Interface-wise it's just like the Android, etc. app which I believe is the point. Ironically even as an alpha it's better than the (sanctioned third party) Windows 8/10 app available on the MS store.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
That's about why I still use it, and matching the framerate. Is there something wrong with madvr?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

That's about why I still use it, and matching the framerate. Is there something wrong with madvr?

No, it's the de facto standard for getting the best video quality on an HTPC still, I believe. Used by some of the AVSForum crowd who run HTPCs with PJs and large screens that are measured in feet. Only issue is it requires a Windows HTPC which always seem to require more fiddling.

I am a PJ user myself and don't use it (or any pre-processor). It's something of a contentious topic in HTPC circles because the improvement gained is either really slight or smoke and mirrors, depending on who you ask. You have to be really picky, and have top-shelf equipment, to really benefit from it in my opinion. Most people will be just fine with a simpler Linux based HTPC like OpenElec or Android TV if they take the time to calibrate it with one of the many calibration videos out there.

Emby Theater is beloved by users who care more than that, the types who buy Colorimeters and obsess over greyscale settings. These are the users who go to the trouble of installing custom video player software or use software like Mediaportal that allow for alternate codecs/processors. If you are one of those you already know it :)

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

For tv shows its in a hidden folder called backdrops inside the show folder. I have it set to store metadata with the media files though.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
^^ Thanks

Ixian posted:

No, it's the de facto standard for getting the best video quality on an HTPC still, I believe. Used by some of the AVSForum crowd who run HTPCs with PJs and large screens that are measured in feet. Only issue is it requires a Windows HTPC which always seem to require more fiddling.

I am a PJ user myself and don't use it (or any pre-processor). It's something of a contentious topic in HTPC circles because the improvement gained is either really slight or smoke and mirrors, depending on who you ask. You have to be really picky, and have top-shelf equipment, to really benefit from it in my opinion. Most people will be just fine with a simpler Linux based HTPC like OpenElec or Android TV if they take the time to calibrate it with one of the many calibration videos out there.

Emby Theater is beloved by users who care more than that, the types who buy Colorimeters and obsess over greyscale settings. These are the users who go to the trouble of installing custom video player software or use software like Mediaportal that allow for alternate codecs/processors. If you are one of those you already know it :)

I fall in this category of all of the above, only thing I have yet to do is get a meter.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

^^ Thanks

I fall in this category of all of the above, only thing I have yet to do is get a meter.

X-Rite makes the best ones for home (i.e. you aren't a commercial calibrator) use. They are a little pricey at $250+ but if you take the time and have some idea of what you are doing you'll get grayscale dialed in as well as your display can handle it, which is almost certainly better than it's set without it. An ISO calibrator will probably charge $4-500 to do the same thing (but will also probably do a better job of it if they aren't a tool).

However most people will probably be ok with using the Disney Wow! DVD or one of the free calibration .mkv files available on AVSForum.com. Just getting brightness/contrast dialed in that way and tweaking color, tint, and sharpness is generally enough to result in a much better/more accurate picture.

If you have a high end display device, watch content from the best sources (like a decent BD player) and are really picky - or you have a display that just defaulted to a really lovely gray scale with color bleed - then calibration either professionally or DYI with a meter is a good option.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I've used the WOW disc and have been mostly satisfied with it. I've tweaked and tweaked. I just have to eventually break down and get a meter.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've used the WOW disc and have been mostly satisfied with it. I've tweaked and tweaked. I just have to eventually break down and get a meter.

Maybe hire pro first? They will probably see things you don't.

I don't bother with anything beyond basic calibration when I am dealing with content served by Emby/NAS (which is still more than most people probably do). I know some folks serve up direct BD rips though where it might matter more.

chef
Nov 18, 2001
I'm setting up a new house and am leaning towards Emby. I just want to confirm that my plan is sound:

I have 2 TVs in the basement- one primary 'theater' TV, and one in a home gym/office, which also has my regular shitposting PC. Upstairs I have a 2.1 stereo system with receiver. We don't have cable or play games. Just movies and netflix really, and mp3s and Pandora on the stereo. I can easily run cabling in basement and have decent wifi setup already.

Plan is to run Emby on the main PC and run HDMI to both TVs via splitter. What app do I need to run this on the TVs? Emby Theater? I had XBMC in the past, but would prefer not to fiddle around so much. The PC is always on, so this should work by setting the HDMI output as the extended display and leaving Emby on there, right? I also have an ancient HTPC that may just work out- otherwise I can build a new one I suppose.

Audio will go upstairs from Emby over wifi to a chromecast audio to the receiver. (My wife likes Pandora, this won't screw anything up will it? I don't want to turn Emby on/off all the time)

How do I control things? It would be great to use our phones/ipads as remotes- would that work for 3 separate devices? I do have an old Harmony I used with XBMC in the past.

I do have a decent router with USB- any benefit to using that to setup some kind of NAS or something? Most media is on external HDDs. Any other things I can/should do?

chef fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 22, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

chef posted:

Plan is to run Emby on the main PC and run HDMI to both TVs via splitter. What app do I need to run this on the TVs? Emby Theater? I had XBMC in the past, but would prefer not to fiddle around so much. The PC is always on, so this should work by setting the HDMI output as the extended display and leaving Emby on there, right? I also have an ancient HTPC that may just work out- otherwise I can build a new one I suppose.

Primer: Emby (like Plex) consists of two destinct components:

Emby Server. This is a middleware solution that runs on a large variety of OS's. You tell Emby server where your media is. At the file level it needs to be somewhat organized (i.e. named correctly) but it's generally pretty good at figuring everything out. It will go grab metadata (which is a term that literally means data about data - so descriptions, actors, fanart, posters, etc.) for everything, or use the metadata you already have, your choice. Generally runs on a dedicated file server that also stores your media, though you can both run the client and server on the same PC and store the media somewhere else if you really want to. Most people like to keep things simple.

It will then present, via an API driven interface, all this to:

Emby Client. This is the other half, the part you actually browse and watch stuff with. There are clients for just about everything (except the new Apple TV, which is in the works). Android and Android TV clients are pretty popular.

There is also an addon for Kodi. The way this works is it acts like a built in Emby client that syncs everything to the default Kodi library. Without getting in to how the sausage is made, this means Kodi will work like Kodi and Emby just runs in the background. It is extremely popular with Kodi users since it essentially a much more polished way to share one media library with multiple clients.

Emby works on a "thin client" principle - "heavy" work is done by the server, while the clients job is to present and play media in the smoothest manner possible on small, low power devices (generally speaking). This means, for example, that if the client device you are running Emby on (say, a Roku) can't natively decode a certain media format, or the bitrate is too high or whatever, Emby server will transparently transcode the media on the fly to a format it will - all you do is press play and magic happens, essentially.

It works really well for the most part and allows you to put together a wide selection of devices you might already have laying around. For example, I have a Fire TV, two Shield TVs, and an older Roku 3 in my house. All my media is on a central FreeBSD (FreeNAS) server that also runs Emby server. All my watched statuses, etc. are kept on the server so I can start watching a show on one TV and finish it on another (or a mobile device even). Emby Server also supports multiple users for things like watched status and media access. If you have fast enough internet you can even share it with clients outside your house.

Emby with Kodi is a bit different in that Kodi doesn't operate on a client-server model. Kodi can natively decode most formats on its own...assuming it is running on hardware that can handle it. The debate over which approach is better is truly tedious and spergy and also doesn't matter because the Emby addon for Kodi works with it just fine either way.

For your setup - You'd probably be best off with Kodi+Emby addon downstairs , Kodi has dedicated screen support so you can set it to run on one screen and not the other. The current Emby Theater for Windows client is a bit long in the tooth and the new one is still in alpha stages.

With that said I expect this setup to act Wonky and generally piss you off from having to fiddle with it on a regular basis. You are much better off with:

A) A reasonably fast way to serve files over your local network. It doesn't need to have superpowers, priorities are 1) Reliability 2) Capacity 3) Streaming performance (if/when you have clients that need transcoding) and 4) Power usage. Aim for the balance of those 4 that suits your needs the best. Ideally you want a file/Emby server that sits in the corner, can be managed via web browser when needed, and doesn't need to be hosed with. Bonus points if you have some kind of disk redundancy so you don't get borked if a hard drive fails (hard drives will fail). This generally rules out non-server versions of Windows however plenty of people use it with that so don't let me put you off. I prefer a FreeNAS setup, which trades an incredible amount of loving around/configuring up front for not having to gently caress around with it once it is set up.

B) A small client device for your TVs. If you want to run Kodi, the Fire TV is a good choice (I am still not a fan of the Fire Stick w/Kodi, but others are) with the Shield TV a nice "step up" device. Or if you just want to run the native client for Emby itself (it has gotten to be pretty good) anything, really, the Roku will work fine.

chef posted:

Audio will go upstairs from Emby over wifi to a chromecast audio to the receiver. (My wife likes Pandora, this won't screw anything up will it? I don't want to turn Emby on/off all the time)

Don't quite know what you mean here. Emby (the server piece, not the client) is really just middleware between your files and your clients...that is one common use case, anyway. If you mean, use the Emby client on your phone to beam music on your Emby server downstairs to your Chromecast upstairs then yes that should work fine.

chef posted:

How do I control things? It would be great to use our phones/ipads as remotes- would that work for 3 separate devices? I do have an old Harmony I used with XBMC in the past.

If you don't want to mess with an IR setup (short answer there: Spend $15 on an Flirc or run the client on a device that already has a remote, like the Roku or FireTV) then yes the Emby client itself can also act as a dedicated remote. I think you can pick between client devices with it though it's probably pretty wonky. There's also a nice Kodi remote app that does the same thing.

chef posted:

I do have a decent router with USB- any benefit to using that to setup some kind of NAS or something? Most media is on external HDDs. Any other things I can/should do?

That may work...could work...don't recommend it though. Your best bet would be to consolidate your storage and media on the PC running Emby server. It will present everything to your clients anyway, that's one of the main reasons people use Emby.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 23, 2016

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm having some issues getting Emby set with my FreeNAS box. I've installed the plugins, set the source for the jail to the main folder (which contains subfolders for TV, Movies, etc) and the destination to a new and empty folder, but when I try to add the sources from the web gui, emby cant find them at all. There isn't a great guide online for FreeNAS setup and everyone just says SET YOUR JAILS which I am fairly sure that I've got done correctly.

E: FWIW I figured it out, it helps with things when you have the right number of / tossed in the file path

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 24, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Does anyone have anything to say about the Roku Emby app?

My dad is going to put a TV in his shop and I'm thinking about telling him to get one of those TCL tvs with Roku built-in as that seems like the easiest route to get him streaming from me.

However, if it's difficult to use or whatever I'll tell him to go a different route.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about the Roku Emby app?

My dad is going to put a TV in his shop and I'm thinking about telling him to get one of those TCL tvs with Roku built-in as that seems like the easiest route to get him streaming from me.

However, if it's difficult to use or whatever I'll tell him to go a different route.

It's perfectly fine. Simple to use and stuff plays when you click it, which, in the end, is really the baseline right? :) He'll have no problem with it. It's almost too simple.

I think Plex wins the prize for "best looking Roku app" but the Emby one is no slouch. The Android apps (including FireTV) are better looking but that's more due to Roku than anything else.

The bigger question is what is Emby Server running on and how is your connection? The Roku still has fairly limited codec/container support so a lot of videos will end up being transcoded. Since you will be remote streaming stuff that would probably happen anyway unless your upload and his download speeds are top-notch but it's something to keep in mind.

I have 20mbps upload (claimed by my ISP) but usually keep it at 5mbps for remote streaming in Emby (one of the nice things about Emby server is you can limit remote client bandwidth). This results in a lot of transcoding. My FreeNAS Emby server has a Xeon E5 CPU so it's no big deal but may be depending on your setup.

Oh, and if you are streaming to a Roku make sure you have the "Create Thumbnails" task set to run at regular intervals (under Emby Server settings, scheduled tasks). That will create .bif files specifically for the Roku. What that does is create those little thumbnail pics you see when you fast-forward, etc. through a video on the Roku (clients like Netflix, etc. already do it) - it's really convenient for seeing where in a video you want to go. In fact I wish more clients supported it.

Edit: totally forgot - my brother in law has one of those TCL TVs for his kids. Overall it works well, though there are better TVs out there picture wise for around the same money. He occasionally streams from me too.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 25, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The transcoding isn't an issue.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This should go in the OP too:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki/GPU-Transcoding

I thought Auto would enable transcoding for my i5-2500k, but you need to actually go into the settings and enabled it. This is running pretty awesome on my windows server, I haven't encountered any issues with it. Keep in mind the wiki hasn't been updated for a while. I just had to enable QuickSync and go from there, I didn't mess around with anything else.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So now I am running into a funk issue on my FreeNAS emby install where Emby sees all of my TV shows, in a folder structure like TV/Show Name/Season/Show/File structure, but it doesn't see any of my movies in a folder structure like Movies/Movie Name/file, It is pretty crazy.
I do like the metadata manager so far and the fact that my FireTV Kodi install is picking it up automatically is really sweet.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is it permissions or it just isn't finding anything? I usually do Movie (Year)\Movie (year).ext and Emby seems to grab everything without issues.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah, check the Emby logs for permissions issues. Especially where FreeNAS is concerned - setting up CIFS sharing/permissions on it in general is not the most user friendly of processes and is really easy to get "wrong". I like FreeNAS a lot and it's gotten friendlier but it is definitely not a system that holds your hand through common tasks like this.

I also add (year) to my movie title folders like Gunslinger, that works better with most any metadata scanner.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Is it permissions or it just isn't finding anything? I usually do Movie (Year)\Movie (year).ext and Emby seems to grab everything without issues.

I ran emby off of a windows based desktop pointed to the same folder, just as a networked drive, and it found everything just fine. I'll look at permissions again, it's at least a good start at figuring it out

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

KKKLIP ART posted:

I ran emby off of a windows based desktop pointed to the same folder, just as a networked drive, and it found everything just fine. I'll look at permissions again, it's at least a good start at figuring it out

Emby on FreeNAS considerations:

Assuming you have added your media volumes to the Emby jail (if you see one and not the other and they are on separate volumes that is the first place I'd look).

"Guest" permissions can be tricky depending on how you set things up. Your Windows box is accessing the folders through the CIFS share - as long as you set up guest permissions correctly in FreeNAS for those that won't be a problem.

With an Emby jail however the usual method is to add your media via the local folders (which you would have attached to the jail). Then you do path substitution in Emby Server so that when a client requests access it gets a shared folder path in return instead of the local volume path. Otherwise you'll never be able to Direct Play anything in clients.

Emby can also do "Direct Streaming" which means if a client can't access the folder itself Emby will stream it instead. However this isn't optimal - if you have a client that can play the file directly (like Kodi) you should set up substitution instead.

The difference here is that for local paths (or if you are using share paths) Emby Server is the process that needs the correct permissions, not your client. And they aren't the same as the CIFS permissions.

Some people just add media to Emby Server using the network paths themselves instead of local. However this isn't a great idea either - while you can usually get it to work, it can be complicated and also puts more of a load on the server. You are also dealing with a local Samba client which may also lead to weird permission issues because Emby itself will be using the Jail SMB client not the one your client devices use.

The optimal way is:

Make sure all the volumes that have your media are added to the Emby Jail in FreeNAS.

Set the local volume permissions to a user:group like "Media". You can create a user in FreeNAS just for this - make note of the UID and GUID.

Give this user/group permission to access your media volumes (on the FreeNAS host, you can use the Web GUI)

In the Emby Jail itself (ssh command line) add a new user and group *to the jail* that matches the name and GUID/UID of the FreeNAS host server that you created. This confuses a lot of people! FreeNAS server users are not auto-transferred to jails for many reasons. What you are doing here is mapping the user/group from the jail to the host.

On the command line it would look like this:
code:
pw useradd -n USER -u UID -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin 
Where USER is the name of the user and UID is the User ID of said user on the FreeNAS host.

Then, change the user Emby runs under to this user/group. Like this:

code:
service Emby-server onestop
chown -R USER:GROUP /var/db/Emby-server
sysrc 'Emby-server_user=USER'
service PLUGIN start
Again, replacing USER:GROUP with your specific user...you get it.

Now in Emby server add the paths to the media folders using the local paths - they should just show up in the directory browser.

Then under advanced settings go to path substitution. Enter your local paths you added above here (like, /mnt/media/movies) and put in the shared folder path you'd like to be delivered to clients (like \\myfreenasserverip\movies)

Finally, double check the CIFS permissions for these folders on the FreeNAS server host. You can "map" the guest user to the user you created above - that way any client that doesn't provide login credentials will default to guest, and since the guest user is mapped to the actual user that has local permissions you will be set.

This process is convoluted, I know. The good news is you only have to do it once :) There's nothing about it that doesn't make sense when you think it through but as I pointed out earlier FreeNAS doesn't exactly hold your hand through this process.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I forgot to reply that I ended up figuring it out. Now I have to retag a lot of shows because the TV scraper didn't pull them right due to my naming schemes. At least it is a pretty easy process as opposed to something like Ember Media Manager used to be

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

What's the fastest way to change metadata on incorrectly tagged movies? I've tried changing the name and identifying the movie and saving that but it doesn't seem to populate the fields with the new data.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Emby for appletv4 is here

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-295-introducing-emby-for-apple-tv/

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Mesmerized posted:

What's the fastest way to change metadata on incorrectly tagged movies? I've tried changing the name and identifying the movie and saving that but it doesn't seem to populate the fields with the new data.

I think I ran into this before. I had to clear out the external ids then do the identify/refresh thing.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Ok, so I may be missing something, but as a Kodi add on, can Emby function as just a database and not add a bunch of extra categories to Kodi? I love the idea of it running as a database in the background, but was not a fan of all of the extra categories it added to our Kodi install.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Falco posted:

Ok, so I may be missing something, but as a Kodi add on, can Emby function as just a database and not add a bunch of extra categories to Kodi? I love the idea of it running as a database in the background, but was not a fan of all of the extra categories it added to our Kodi install.

You are missing something for sure because at its core the Emby addon for Kodi just syncs the built in Kodi library with the Emby backend server, which is exactly what you want. You can access extra categories, etc. directly through the addon itself, and certain skins support additional features, but the basic functionality of the addon installation just works with the "regular" Kodi movie/tv/music libraries.

It does *replace* the built in library - you can't run a local Kodi library (with local media) and an Emby library for example. Well, maybe you could, but I can't imagine that would work well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Falco posted:

What do you mean by "categories"?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

What do you mean by "categories"?

It sounds like he/she is directly browsing the Emby addon itself in Kodi, not via library. If you go to Programs/addons/video/Emby (some skins may expose this in a more up front way than others) you'll get a bare-bones text-view of the Emby categories. That's not really how the addon is meant to be used though.

I suspect there is a fair amount of confusion from users who "try out" Emby by installing the server somewhere - like on a local Windows PC - point it at whereever their media is at - which may be the same source they have Kodi using, if it is on a NAS/share - and just install the addon. That's not a great way to use it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Are there any lightweight skins that use the extra emby categories?

Would *love* emby's "next up" easily accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redhalo
May 19, 2009

On talks of catagories, Emby within Kodi, has anyone else noticed that recently added albums are not correct. Or is this just me.

• Locked thread