Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Trigger warnings are fine (if scientifically baseless), they functionally just mean the same as content warnings. It's when you start demanding them and expecting them, especially in the context of a college classroom, that everything goes to hell.

Also I remember when Bernie Sanders went to Liberty University and there were a lot of smug "heh looks like we can actually LISTEN to people we disagree with :smug: ", which is great except for the fact that Liberty literally does not allow protests against speakers, because they don't actually allow free speech at all. I'm not sure but I suspect the guy in the OP is probably a similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

symbolic posted:

you have a Flowey avatar

i don't think you should be pointing fingers at the miserable nerd children of the 21st century without also pointing at yourself

What is a flowey?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Applewhite posted:

What is a flowey?
some character from Undertale

i haven't played far enough yet but all i know is that he is a megalomanic rear end in a top hat

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

symbolic posted:

you have a Flowey avatar

i don't think you should be pointing fingers at the miserable nerd children of the 21st century without also pointing at yourself

i'm a miserable nerd adult, tyvm

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feranon posted:

i'm a miserable nerd adult, tyvm
so am i. hence the Doopliss avatar.

want to talk about comics and obscure SNES games?

Moltke
May 13, 2009
NWS material can get most people fired if viewed at work, so there is a good reason to tag this content.

Graphic images can have similar repercussions as NWS, but can also make people physically ill (vomiting).

Difficult writings don't do anything except to challenge preconceived notions about our world. I do not think that adding additional barriers to content will improve out society in any way, but will simply enable the immature to remain so for as long as they choose. Education has never been and should never be a la carte. It is the responsibility of educators to prepare the next generation for the challenges of life. Insulating adult-aged children (college students) from anything potentially uncomfortable is regressive. I have never heard anyone articulate any other intention for the trigger warning.

tldr This poo poo is stupid and childish.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Any mentally lazy white midwest christian who uses the term "hater" should receive a prison sentence of licking the handrails on a NY subway.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

symbolic posted:

so am i. hence the Doopliss avatar.

want to talk about comics and obscure SNES games?

don't know that much about either tbh, looks like you're the bigger nerd :c00l:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
What if flowey had arms and a gun

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

someone should compile a list of which universities do this dumb trigger warning poo poo in lectures so i know what resumes to throw out

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015
The real secret was to pretend that anything called a "university" has things called "sermons" which are of equal value to classes.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
There was a lecture at my uni recently that i didn't attend that basically wanted to call normal people racist assholes and unironically used the buzzword "privilege"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feranon posted:

don't know that much about either tbh, looks like you're the bigger nerd :c00l:
i don't either

you avoided the trap

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Also 'I'm triggered' is hella stale. I know because my mid 30 year old friend who regurgitates memes that are old on Reddit is making trigger jokes. We can do better imo.

Thats cool that you are friends with every Gbs poster

pr0k posted:

there's just no way this is real

please no

Theres an entire internet sub culture now for people who think it is and are mad about it

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

someone should compile a list of which universities do this dumb trigger warning poo poo in lectures so i know what resumes to throw out

most american universities are all about this poo poo so gl

for example i had to fill out a literal privilege checklist for an anthro class i took last year

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bro Dad posted:

most american universities are all about this poo poo so gl

for example i had to fill out a literal privilege checklist for an anthro class i took last year

You brought this on yourself by taking an anthro class imo.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Anthropology isn't a real faculty.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I'm in my final year of university and I haven't encountered anything like this once

but then again I'm at a mostly-commuter school and that seems to make people not care about poo poo

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i just needed the credits and it seemed easy :ohdear:

also despite its supposed international focus, the class was mostly the professor trying too hard to connect with black students by talking about her favorite new hiphop artist (forty year old white lady)

i actually had to write a paper about blacker the berry

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

If you're expecting your kids not to develop idiotic political ideas while they're in college, then I have bad news for you.

I didn't, but I went to college as a veteran and was immune to the silly clubs with their dumb ideas coupled with peer pressure.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GORDON posted:

I didn't, but I went to college as a veteran and was immune to the silly clubs with their dumb ideas coupled with peer pressure.

:ironicat:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who even says "hater".

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I see what you did there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GORDON posted:

I see what you did there.

It wasn't your fault, everyone's a retard at 18.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
lmao I refuse to believe these people exist

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe the libertarians are right, and I should just get a rifle and live in a remote cabin some place.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Maybe the libertarians are right, and I should just get a rifle and live in a remote cabin some place.
that doesn't work out well

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Putty posted:

What if flowey had arms and a gun
sounds like something a crazy person would come up with

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Once upon a time goons would have united to troll the poo poo out of these people

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Everdraed posted:

sounds like something a crazy person would come up with

heeeehehehehehe :mmmhmm:

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

yellowD posted:

Once upon a time goons would have united to troll the poo poo out of these people

go ahead and get started you loving follower

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Landstander posted:

Also I remember when Bernie Sanders went to Liberty University and there were a lot of smug "heh looks like we can actually LISTEN to people we disagree with :smug: ", which is great except for the fact that Liberty literally does not allow protests against speakers, because they don't actually allow free speech at all.
the religious right and the tumblr left have more in common with each other than either side would like to admit

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

quote:

Everett Piper (President of Oklahoma Wesleyan U.) posted:
If you want the chaplain to tell you you're a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you're looking for. If you want to complain about a sermon that makes you feel less than loving for not showing love, this might be the wrong place.

If you're more interested in playing the "hater" card than you are in confessing your own hate; if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn; if you don't want to feel guilt in your soul when you are guilty of sin; if you want to be enabled rather than confronted, there are many universities across the land (in Missouri and elsewhere) that will give you exactly what you want, but Oklahoma Wesleyan isn't one of them. [Oklahoma Wesleyan University]

"Try not getting raped you dumb whore. And if you don't want to get called out on your fag sin go on down the road to human being university. Also, be humble and don't lecture people."

I don't see what this has to do with trigger warnings or other tumblr poo poo but whatever. Wesleyan University.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The offending Bible passage:

"1 Corinthians 13" posted:

If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
tag your fruit, shitstain

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
we already had this in the goddamn fecal swastika thread and it was boring and bad there too, first the guy says "be your own person" then in the same breath says "confess your sins to God"

this poo poo is a loving scam, and i will repeat, the sermon on the mount is THE basis of victimhood morality

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
identity politics detracts from people trying to do real good so i am going to become a reactionary monarchist theocrat

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

nomadologique posted:

we already had this in the goddamn fecal swastika thread and it was boring and bad there too, first the guy says "be your own person" then in the same breath says "confess your sins to God"

this poo poo is a loving scam, and i will repeat, the sermon on the mount is THE basis of victimhood morality

You made a serious post about your weird interpretation of bible verses and got made fun of.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
i think jesus was a pretty rad guy except for all the rapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
love is the underside of fear of a wrathful God

"to love" means to compass fully with your being the infinite power of the Lord and the eternal damnation that awaits all sin

everything in that passage urges you to repress yourself as intensely as possible, so that you will be a quavering vessel for the Holy Spirit

you will never be anything at all until God completes you, and you are given your predestined place in the cosmos

p. good poo poo imo

• Locked thread