Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Alford was a bad hire.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 10 29.41%
Yes. 8 23.53%
Yes. 9 26.47%
Yes. 7 20.59%
Total: 12 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

KU sophomore Devonte Graham is currently averaging 3.33 STL/TO Ratio. Not only the best ratio in college basketball but the best since 2001 when they started keeping the stat.

This seems like something that would be easy enough to calculate before 2001? I just looked up Mookie Blaylock who I vaguely remember as stealing his rear end off and his best rate in college was 1.5, so I'm impressed either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Considering an assist to turnover ratio of 3.33 would be pretty good, that stat is kind of ridiculous, even for early season.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Considering an assist to turnover ratio of 3.33 would be pretty good, that stat is kind of ridiculous, even for early season.

I read it as assist to turnover, and immediately checked London Perrantes' stats. His best season was a 3.5 assist to turnover ratio. But not steals, which doesn't surprise me as it's not something that Tony Bennett emphasizes.

3.33 steal to turnover ratio is drat good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Naz Long from ISU is out for the year with a hip injury. He was not shooting very well so far this year, but they were pretty thin as it is, even with Burton joining the roster.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kentucky is going to get Marques Bolden I think and KU's draft class for 2015 will be their worst in over a decade. So far they have Mitch Lightfoot, a 3* 210 pound PF.

And that's it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
hold up gonna try to get feel bad for them here for suffering the indignity of only having a 3 star commitment

wait for it

I think I've got it

almost

oh nope, nevermind, gently caress kansas

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 15, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You don't have to feel bad for them. But their recruiting was basically supplanted by Duke when K decided to go after one and dones.

A 210 pound power forward is bad no matter who you are though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

Naz Long from ISU is out for the year with a hip injury. He was not shooting very well so far this year, but they were pretty thin as it is, even with Burton joining the roster.

Just saw this and it sucks. He was a deep ball guy for us, but he has been hurting and it showed. ISU was going to be 8 deep most games but this will make it 7. Can't afford any other injuries.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bird in a Blender posted:

Just saw this and it sucks. He was a deep ball guy for us, but he has been hurting and it showed. ISU was going to be 8 deep most games but this will make it 7. Can't afford any other injuries.

If we had to lose a starter he was the one to lose but it is still a big hit. I wonder if they'll give him another year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

You don't have to feel bad for them. But their recruiting was basically supplanted by Duke when K decided to go after one and dones.

Counterpoint: Aaron White, Bitch

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
man I hope Burton is the real deal

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Texas has andrew jones, james banks, and Jacob young and Jarrett allen lives 10 minutes from campus. Gonna be an amazing first class for shaka.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

Isn't perry ellis like 190?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

hold up gonna try to get feel bad for them here for suffering the indignity of only having a 3 star commitment

wait for it

I think I've got it

almost

oh nope, nevermind, gently caress kansas

And yet, I can't get you on the gently caress Kentucky bandwagon. The hell is this poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

And yet, I can't get you on the gently caress Kentucky bandwagon. The hell is this poo poo.

Coach Cal is rad.

Kentucky in its current form where it undermines the principles of amateurism, gets kids paid like crazy, and makes old people clutch their pearls is cool. If he leaves then I might change my mind.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 16, 2015

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thoguh posted:

If we had to lose a starter he was the one to lose but it is still a big hit. I wonder if they'll give him another year.

Hopefully he does get the year. Agreed that he was probably the one guy ISU could lose, especially since Matt Thomas has been looking really good lately.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

And he gets bodied around all the time. Having said that, a player's weight before they get exposed to a college weight room doesn't really worry me.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Thoguh posted:

If he plays in less than 30 percent of their games he should be eligible. How many regular season games on their schedule this year?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The lovely thing for him is that this is Iowa State's year and he's going to miss it. They are losing a bunch of players next year and who even knows if they will make the tournament (I don't know enough about them to make a prediction but they sure are losing a lot).

Which is why some national guy mentioned that a graduate transfer could be in the cards for Long, which caused twitter to freak out. I don't think he will, based on what I hear about him, but he apparently could.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PotatoJudge posted:

If he plays in less than 30 percent of their games he should be eligible. How many regular season games on their schedule this year?

He only played in 8 games and he didn't take a normal redshirt. So baring the NCAA being dicks he should get it.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Texas is celebrating their 1989-90 team, aka "BMW-the ultimate scoring machine" team with Lance Blanks, Travis Mays, and Joey Wright. Travis Mays was a ridiculous scorer and they were supposedly pretty badass about it too. Drunk rear end Tom penders was their coach and he's giving a speech at halftime, I wonder how amazing it will be.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

you leave him alone, he has osteoporosis

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Holy poo poo, this is fantastic:

https://vine.co/v/imniKhY5Dgp

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Bo Ryan's retiring now. Like now now.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

News: Bo Ryan retires, effective immediately.

Views: lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
N:

Coco13 posted:

Bo Ryan's retiring now. Like now now.

V:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

same

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Why effective immediately? Didn't want to go down on a sinking ship?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Why effective immediately? Didn't want to go down on a sinking ship?

He is a piece of poo poo coward, obviously.

edit: unless there is a health issue he hasn't announced

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
On one hand I want to watch him suffer through a disaster of a season but on the other I was afraid he'll somehow black magic his way into finishing like third in the big ten so this is good.

(And obviously if it's a health thing then that sucks and even I would be bummed)

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Greg Gard, the interim coach who has been with Bo for 23 years, recently dealt with his father's passing. Probably didn't want to have him deal with both at the same time.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Coco13 posted:

Greg Gard, the interim coach who has been with Bo for 23 years, recently dealt with his father's passing. Probably didn't want to have him deal with both at the same time.

Eh? Ryan announced in June that he would coach one more year and Gard's father died in October, it seems much more likely that after a dozen games Bo saw the team he would have to lead and said gently caress it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTCjDnqVqc0

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El9eCRisbDo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

OctoberBlues posted:

News: Bo Ryan retires, effective immediately.

Views: lol

hahaha if he doesn't want to coach a poo poo team

:smith: if he has cancer or some such

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

Eh? Ryan announced in June that he would coach one more year and Gard's father died in October, it seems much more likely that after a dozen games Bo saw the team he would have to lead and said gently caress it.

Gard's father was diagnosed with cancer last spring. Before that, rumors were that Ryan was going to announce his retirement at the end of that season--most people think he only agreed to do another year in order to give Gard some more time with his family before the transition. But since Gard's father has passed and the school's in between semesters, they figured that this was probably as good a time to make the switch as they're gonna get. (There are also some rumors that the AD, Alvarez isn't sold on Gard as the coach and wants to bring in somebody from a bigger school, so Ryan is giving Gard a chance to do something with the team before that happens . . . thus why they're not waiting 'til the end of the year.)

aslan fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Metapod posted:

He's old, but he isn't an elf.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so glad that as a UVA fan I get to listen to Tony Bennett to Wisconsin speculation for the rest of the season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

aslan posted:

Gard's father was diagnosed with cancer last spring. Before that, rumors were that Ryan was going to announce his retirement at the end of that season--most people think he only agreed to do another year in order to give Gard some more time with his family before the transition. But since Gard's father has passed and the school's in between semesters, they figured that this was probably as good a time to make the switch as they're gonna get. (There are also some rumors that the AD, Alvarez isn't sold on Gard as the coach and wants to bring in somebody from a bigger school, so Ryan is giving Gard a chance to do something with the team before that happens . . . thus why they're not waiting 'til the end of the year.)

woah woah woah, barry alvarez and a wisconsin coach had some conflict???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OctoberBlues posted:

Which is why some national guy mentioned that a graduate transfer could be in the cards for Long, which caused twitter to freak out. I don't think he will, based on what I hear about him, but he apparently could.

He told the media today that he's staying at ISU for next year. When we will presumably feature a lineup consisting entirely of shooting guards, necessitating a move to the Grinnel offense.

• Locked thread