Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Alford was a bad hire.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 10 29.41%
Yes. 8 23.53%
Yes. 9 26.47%
Yes. 7 20.59%
Total: 12 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A huge reason the Jayhawks won against SDSU was because of the play of Brannen Greene and Jamari Traylor. This is important because those guys are upperclassmen and were 100% effort. Greene is that crazy shooter that had made like 80% of his 3s but was in the doghouse for a five game suspension and Traylor had seen decreased minutes with Diallo, Bragg and Mickelson playing.

This doesn't matter to any of you other than that keeps young guys that are potential first rounders in Svi Mykhauiliuk and Cheick Diallo on the bench. When the inevitable conversation of "Bill Self doesn't play freshmen" comes up I hope some people remember last night's game. Rebounding, hustle, defense and no mental errors gets you playing time. Rivals ratings doesn't.

It's better for the program and the wins but not as good for the one and dones. Kentucky manages to play 5* freshmen and win (usually) and this more than any reason is why I think they have the #1 recruiting class every year.

edit: and right on cue #1 Josh Jackson eliminates Kansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Diallo does need more playing time though. And I say this even though Jamari Traylor is Extremely My poo poo.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is this year's Braggin' Rights game going to be the worst one ever?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Mike_V posted:

One Mizzou is going to get beat down in. They are so bad against P5 teams.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

A huge reason the Jayhawks won against SDSU was because of the play of Brannen Greene and Jamari Traylor. This is important because those guys are upperclassmen and were 100% effort. Greene is that crazy shooter that had made like 80% of his 3s but was in the doghouse for a five game suspension and Traylor had seen decreased minutes with Diallo, Bragg and Mickelson playing.

This doesn't matter to any of you other than that keeps young guys that are potential first rounders in Svi Mykhauiliuk and Cheick Diallo on the bench. When the inevitable conversation of "Bill Self doesn't play freshmen" comes up I hope some people remember last night's game. Rebounding, hustle, defense and no mental errors gets you playing time. Rivals ratings doesn't.

It's better for the program and the wins but not as good for the one and dones. Kentucky manages to play 5* freshmen and win (usually) and this more than any reason is why I think they have the #1 recruiting class every year.

edit: and right on cue #1 Josh Jackson eliminates Kansas.
Also because we are bad and can't shoot or defend threes, apparently

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Remember when this was a fun game every year? :(

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Remember when this was a fun game every year? :(

And a tough ticket--when I was in school it was always packed, now the upper at Scottrade is mostly empty and I got a suite ticket for $60.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ross Angeles posted:

Also because we are bad and can't shoot or defend threes, apparently

That missed layup followed by a missed dunk was brutal, I actually thought of you.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Kentucky loses some more.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

That missed layup followed by a missed dunk was brutal, I actually thought of you.

They expended so much energy trying to cut into that lead that they just looked gassed for the second half of the half

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mike_V posted:

wow remember all those people who never stopped bitching about bruce weber? well lol

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Monmouth's about to lose at Army, which might be enough to derail the great work they've done so far this season. Hope they win the MAAC, tournament would be less fun without them.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Well, Northwestern finished its soft-rear end schedule 12-1, the best record at this part of the season since the 1930s. Alex Olah is hurt now, so they are hosed in the Big Ten, but I still believe in the NIT.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Go Iowa.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

Go Iowa.

It really sucks about Izzo's dad. :( I wouldn't be surprised if the Spartans came out extra motivated for coach and end up crushing Iowa. But I never expect to beat MSU so who knows. I think the Hawks are up to a 2.5 point favorite.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Go Iowa.

Agreed!

Before the season our early Big Ten schedule looked stupidly difficult, and it still mostly is, but we did kinda wind up lucking out in that we play both games against MSU early while Valentine is either out or in one of his very first games back from his injury.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Another last second loss to FSU

Man, Mike White insisting Florida keep shooting 3's even in a situation where we're down by 1 point with 40 seconds to go against FSU...it's maddening.

We have no 3 point shooters! Accept it!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
LSU is an awful, bad, no-good team.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ohio State started out looking bad but is recently not looking bad. Watch out teams receiving votes, cause they might start taking a couple votes from you, maybe!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Jesus Christ Mizzou beat Arkansas Pine-Bluff 78-25 tonight. UAPB must be the worst team in D1

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Mike_V posted:

Jesus Christ Mizzou beat Arkansas Pine-Bluff 78-25 tonight. UAPB must be the worst team in D1

They don't play a home game until January 16. :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Welp, glad I didn't watch that game. Reminds me of the other debacle in Iowa City during the Drew Neitzel era.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Welp, glad I didn't watch that game. Reminds me of the other debacle in Iowa City during the Drew Neitzel era.

I think that is the only Iowa victory I refuse to acknowledge the existence of.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
MSU as a team is decent. Top 25 without Valentine. With him top 10. They are maybe the third best team in the big10 this year, as I've said at least twice before.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

I think that is the only Iowa victory I refuse to acknowledge the existence of.

gently caress that, that game was hilarious.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MourningView posted:

Agreed!

Before the season our early Big Ten schedule looked stupidly difficult, and it still mostly is, but we did kinda wind up lucking out in that we play both games against MSU early while Valentine is either out or in one of his very first games back from his injury.

This is the year you'll make the tourney trust me

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I think you're confusing Iowa and Northwestern

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think you're confusing Iowa and Northwestern

I am, I meant to respond to RD Mangles. Whatever, both iowa and NU will make it. I believe.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

Iowa seemed borderline at the start of the year but at this point if they don't make it it'll feel really disappointing.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Their RPI (which is garbage but whatever) is at 19, which is pretty drat good because I think it was like 70 at this time last year. We really should be able to feed on the soft underbelly of the B1G enough to sneak in even if we don't get another huge win.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah their OOC schedule was way better this year than it has been in the last three, and they didn't have any bad losses. It'll probably come down because the Big Ten is way down this year, but they have more of a cushion than they've had in the past.

Fran has the program in a pretty good place. They're not a national power or anything and next year could be pretty bad (they lose 4 starters and the only young guy playing well is the dang walk on), but recruiting is trending up and it seems like they can be where they were for most of the Davis years, where they should finish in the upper part of the conference and make the tournament most years. Hopefully now that people have seen just how low the floor for the program is they'll appreciate that a little more than they did back then.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

OctoberBlues posted:

They don't play a home game until January 16. :(

How does this happen

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

JRizzle posted:

How does this happen

They need the money from the sacrificial lamb games against good teams on the road, so they just said gently caress it and didn't play a single non-con game at home, and coincidentally their first three conference games are on the road. It's sad, really.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bilas has Iowa #22

quote:

22. Iowa Hawkeyes
The Hawkeyes, who took down No. 1 Michigan State on Tuesday, take good care of the ball and are solid on the offensive end. The next step will be in getting to the free throw line more efficiently.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Somewhere in the 20s seems about right. KenPom has them like 13.

They're super perimeter oriented this year and don't have anyone who can reliably get to the basket (Gesell against MSU notwithstanding) or post up so I'm not expecting the free throw thing to change much. The guy who could do it is Uthoff but he's content to settle for jumpers and fades away on every single loving shot he takes, so it's not gonna happen. Thankfully they have a very good shooting team this year so far, which is a welcome change from the last couple years when they didn't have anyone aside from Uthoff reliably hitting outside shots and shot a billion long two pointers instead (they still do way too much of the latter)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WELCOME TO THE DERERK PARDON OWN ZONE

They burned his redshirt after Olah got hurt. In his second game ever, he put up a 28/12 against Nebraska, dominated them on the boards, and wasn't supposed to play this year.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 31, 2015

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV loses to Fresno State at home. With like 5 minutes left, all Fresno players had four fouls and UNLV didn't attack the basket and settled for threes.

Looking like it is win the MWCT or bust for Dave Rice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He has some pretty impressive post moves for his first game ever (as opposed to, oh, let's go with Cheick Diallo for kicks) and a nice lefty stroke. If Olah comes back and these two play together in the future, uh, look out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTFWkQAUbZY

I must say, however, that Durr-urr-k Pardon is one annoying name.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I can't wait for the first hot take article about how his name shouldn't be pronounced like Derek. Or do people even care enough about Northwestern to write hot take articles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's Dwy-Ayne Wade all over again.

• Locked thread