Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
GP2 THREAD!!! GP2 THREAD!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

No way Alonso, they would want a "team player" above anyone else, I would say safe is what they want and say what you want about Nico he's not the one to loose his head and royally gently caress up, his gently caress ups have been to let the guy in the other paddy's magical supercar get past. Bottas being a fin bot would be an option, certainly someone young. Max has been earmarked by Ferrari, not-max is too fiery. They may be waiting to see how the rookies coming in this year do - don't they have one of their young stars in a manor in 2016?

Get rid of zee Germans, bring in Jenson and Martin Whitmarsh and let's pick up where McLaren 2012 left off.

With special guest Ross Brawn

poty
Jun 21, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122107

So, 3 compounds for next season, of which the team must choose 2. Sounds like a positive step forward (in theory), although I would prefer if they had all 3 available for the race.

Spoiler alert: everyone will choose the 2 hardest ones

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Bernie running F1 with an iron fist and no checks or balances for the win

poty
Jun 21, 2008

They remember.

poty fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 6, 2015

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I would buy a 2010 McLaren shirt if I could I think they're cool as heck

As an aside, how much cooler would F1 be if these guys were the championship contenders instead of cheaters like Rosberg and Vettel?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

This year's Merc Merch with the black stripe down the middle is not shabby either but I cannot endorse it due to ideological reasons

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Stop spreading foreign propaganada, Lewis and Britain love each other. I'm sure Lewis will recover, it was probably a very close vote and there's no shame in losing to the best tennis player of his generation

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Thank God our Dave (Cameron) is taking action against the Berlin/Brussels* lobby leading the BBC. First they get rid of F1 so people don't hear about Lewis being the best driver of his generation. Clearly after all these years rooting for Rosberg and Vettel they reached a point where the only way to deny the truth was not to show it. And now they got rid of Clarkson because he praised the British car industry and wrote columns on The Sun saying that he loved Britain and replaced him with

quote:

German racing driver Sabine Schmitz

The BBC has clearly gone rogue, it's time to stop taking that law about how it's independent so literally, take it back from the Germans and put the Queen in charge

(*) = as if those two aren't the same thing LOL

poty
Jun 21, 2008

El Hefe posted:

Alonso would never join Lotus/Renault while Pastor is there, he wouldn't want a repeat of 2007.

It's a bit too late for that. You won't hear this on the Bernie-sanctioned F1 media, but the only two times Alonso has been beaten by his teammate it was a British driver. In his defense he always puts up a close fight without cheating, which you can't say for other people

poty
Jun 21, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

Effortpost why you might want to watch some offroad motorcycle racing
If any of you are looking for a race series to follow until F1 starts back up, Supercross is starting up tomorrow night and is all kinds of my jam. It is easily found in :filez: and people even upload to dailymotion and supercross doesn't really care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7M9hIdxSIc

Some reason why it is cool and good:
  • All the bikes are pretty much on equal footing, so it's all up to the rider / their start and not loving up.
  • 17 races over 18 weeks. Every Saturday except Easter weekend.
  • Lot's of racing crammed into ~3 hours. 250 class (2 qualifying races, 1 last chance qualifier, 1 main event) and 450 class (2 heat races, 2 semi races, 1 LCQ, 1 Main event).
  • Stacked field, especially in the 450 class. Last year there were probably 7 different winners, though 1 guy was dominantly consistent to win his 2nd title.
  • Lot's of wrecks / carnage, even from the top guys.
  • Even if you're #1 qualifier, everyone lines up at the same gate. The start is incredibly important

Tomorrow's race has the chance to be extra interesting, it's in Anaheim (CA) and they have been getting rained on all week. Could make it a muddy mess, which can create some whacky results.

Let's play a game with some of the front runners. It's called "Who is their F1 equivalent".

Ryan Dungey

Reigning 2x supercross champ. Won in 09(?) in his rookie season and 2015. His trademark is consistency, his nickname is "The Diesel", which he hates. He's definitely fast but his consistency overshadows his pace. Last year he podium'd 16/17 of the rounds. Rides KTM which was a great bike last year. He also won the nationals (outdoor motocross) championship last year. Has been accused of being a pushover and not at all aggressive, he did better for sure though last year.

Ken Roczen

Young German rider, 3rd year in the 450 class. Very fast, but not consistent yet. Tends to start really hot, but as the season drudges on he has lost something. Injured himself early last year and messed up his back. Used to be teammates with Ryan Dungey on KTM, but moved to a non-factory Suzuki team (think maybe Sauber or Force India) last year. Won the outdoor title in '14 over Dungey.

Eli Tomac

Finished 2nd in points last year to Dungey with some injuries. Very fast, needs to get better starts. Tomac was absolutely loving dominating everyone this year at outdoor nationals (winning races by 30+ seconds) in the first 5 rounds and then had a massive crash and needed dual shoulder surgery. He moved from Honda to Kawasaki this year, hopefully he's healthy as he hasn't had a lot of time on the bike.

Trey Canard

Bad luck Mark Weber, expect with skill. Trey is probably the nicest guy out there, but has had many season-ending injuries. Last year he was 2nd in points and making a good run, winning 2/3 races but ultimately had a motorcycle jump onto him and break his arm. This is his last year in his contract, he's been on a honda his whole career (this kind of loyalty is pretty rare) so it'll be interesting to see if he can stay healthy and where he can finish at the end of the year. I like this guy a whole lot, but his luck is just plain poo poo. Would love to see him win a title.

James Stewart

Bubba is probably the fastest guy ever to ride a dirtbike, at least in supercross. He invented "scrubbing", which everyone now has to do. Scrubbing is turning the bike down off the face of the jump to let the suspension rebound laterally, keeping you lower. Lower = less time in the air = faster. He's either finishing on the podium or he's wrecking and finishing 15th. If he gets a good start and doesn't wreck, watch out. He was suspended from the sport all of last year because of a positive drug test (Adderal, which he had a prescription for). The FIM slammed him that his prescription was not registered with them, or something. RACISM, more like it. Most people don't really think he's a contender anymore just because he's so inconsistent, but man is he loving fast. He's won 2 titles and if he had half the consistency of Dungey he'd have 10. RIdes for factory Suzuki.

Justin Barcia

The only reason I'm including this guy is because he's the Pastor Maldonado of SX. A lot of people consider him a dirty rider. He won some races last year, so he definitely has the pace. Consistency has not been there, but it's probably mostly the depth of the field.

There are at least 5 other riders that have a real chance of winning a race this year, but eh :effort:

Are any of these British?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

huh, how about that, I just googled Our Max and he looks to be doing rather well for himself last year. Did well in Indy lights and is doing bits for nissan in endurance racing. Not surprising he can get a drive, because real name Hilton, but fair enough, I did say without irony at the time that he was much better than his car - Only rookie to have ever finished every race, which given that it's in a car that's a dog to drive and ends up with permanently hosed tyres after the first few laps because of having to go on to the marbles while being lapped all the time, was quite impressive, and certainly more impressive than failing to observe yellow flags.

Everyone in the paddock will tell you he's a future WDC but they won't give him a drive because of political reasons (because he's British)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I'm doing my part, I just filled up my gas tank and told the cashier that venezuelan oil is so much better and he should totally switch

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Refueling is dumb and boring

poty
Jun 21, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

am i the only person itt still admitting to being a mclaren fan?

Looking at it objectively it's obvious the 2016 season will be a close fight between McLaren, Williams and Manor. Jenson will seal the championship after coming back from outside the points on a rainy Abu Dhabi final race and immediately retire, paving the way for Lewis to come back to Ron and Britain.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Just get a bunch of safety experts, give them a max amount of money their proposals can cost and do whatever they say. Don't let the teams have a say, there's more than enough boring gridlock politics already

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I wish we had that for posting in this thread, keeping your posting A-game up 12 months a year leaves scars both physical and psychological

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Magnussen is as bad as Bottas but with teen angst

poty
Jun 21, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

The only thing Pastor is killing is Kimi's odds of remaining in that Ferrari seat the full year.

Vettel will never agree to someone who would beat him to the championship on the other car. Which is why Ferrari should put Pastor in Vettle's car

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I feel bad for Jolyon because people won't realize his true potential now

Pastor would have been a much tougher nut to crack but beating him would have proved he's a future WDC. Beating Magnussen only proves that you're not the worst driver in the grid.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

2014 and 2015 have been among the best F1 seasons in history. The only ones that have come close in the last few years were 2008 and 2009

poty
Jun 21, 2008

So the livery is not the real one and neither is the car obviously weeks away from testing. At least there's this

https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/status/694873388704227328

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Thinking about doing the coast to coast later this year in the UK that is. 7 days of pure fun through awesome scenery. Seriously with scenery like you get in many parts of the UK you never need to go abroad.

So true. Also there's a lot of crime outside Britain and it's dangerous to drive on their roads (look at how bad their F1 drivers are...imagine how skilled the rest must be). I can't wait until we close the border: nobody here wants to leave and we don't need any more Europeans coming in

poty
Jun 21, 2008

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-leads-driver-delegation-in-f1-meeting-671130/ posted:

Sebastian Vettel leads the delegation of Formula 1 drivers who have decided to join a meeting with Pirelli in Milan on Tuesday to discuss 2017 rules.

Vettel is also there and has been joined by Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas, while Nico Rosberg may also attend.

Can you imagine being represented by cheaters and amateurs like those? No wonder Pastor quit F1

poty
Jun 21, 2008

funeral fag posted:

This is like the third time I've started a new page with a completely worthless white noise post. Cheers

Thank you for your service

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Dubs posted:

paul di resta

paul di siesta

poty
Jun 21, 2008

AgentJotun posted:

God that lineup looks exactly like what a bunch of twatty BBC execs would dream up.

If the BBC had their way the presenters would all be German and they would speak in German about german cars

poty
Jun 21, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

i'm fairly certain renault will have a surprisingly decent package. they had employees in enstone in like september.

A certain Renault employee is making my package surprisingly indecent.

It's Jolyon

poty fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 13, 2016

poty
Jun 21, 2008

D C posted:

stripes around the room then the circle bit with the kids name in it.

[edit] Name your kid Martin or Martina.

Name your kid Lewis, or Winston

poty
Jun 21, 2008

You can't tell in the small pictures in this thread but the Red Bull race overalls and the sleeves of the jacket are "camo"

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/?attachment_id=312459

Young people are the worst

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wow I'm sure that looked great in the early 40s or whenever that livery is a callback to, but it looks Very Bad on a modern car

Dubs posted:

nice dick

thanks

poty
Jun 21, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

mclaren's 2016 apparel line looks like a bad powerpoint template http://www.mclarenstore.com/stores/mclaren/en/c/clothing?intcmp=ENxtlm1-_-2016-teamwear-_-1902

also, there's plenty of button apparel but nothing for alonso :tinfoil:

The voodoo lady is doing her best but she can't promise anything

poty
Jun 21, 2008

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Basically every page has this purple wrapper around it featuring GENERIC_F1_CAR and purple. Purple. Don't miss your tickets

The red text isn't so badly pixelated on my screen, I assume that's from imgur converting it to a jpg.

F1 is the worst it's ever been should be the new thread title

This thread has been ahead of the curve for years, Bernie is finally catching up. It won't be easy, but if we all keep our heads down I believe we can make it even worse

poty
Jun 21, 2008

GramCracker posted:

The real question is, which Worst Thread account is Bernie's?

El Hefe means the boss, how much more obvious can you get

poty
Jun 21, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

they might be right considering ferrari and sauber battled it out all season long last year

Agreed the Brawn GP is probably just running illegal bits to fish for sponsors

poty
Jun 21, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-chiefs-approve-driver-of-the-day-award-675405/

Not sure why this poo poo has to be a formal award, I'm sure the six to seven figure contract they sign is reward enough.

Watch the FIA mess with the voting to snub Lewis, Jenson and Jolyon in favour of the German driver who cheated the most at that race. I'm getting upset just thinking about it

poty fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 25, 2016

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Mods?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

McHonda definitely is capable of finishing third. Williams has fallen apart when under pressure the past few years (see:any time they've led a race)

Williams have had for years a race-winning, championship-contending car. Unfortunately they have chosen two foreign drivers, probably due to political pressure

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Brainwrong posted:

We'd all have to stand up and cry when the national anthem is sung by a failed singer. We don't do that sort of thing.

We should though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Norns posted:

Is kimi more qualified because he's more likely to crash?

Vettel would answer based on how much cheating he thinks he can achieve with the halo

• Locked thread