Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

I hope you all know George Lucas has no idea wtf you guys are talking about when it comes to these design decisions. If it were up to him these would be space wizards riding on space dragons fighting space knights. He probably signed off on all the designs but his lil brain did not design any of this.

They should have brought back Lucas's ex wife to direct the new star wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqSlaMME-Mk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Booblord Zagats posted:

I can;t explain this poo poo either but here we are, ya know

this is what happens when one guy pisses off the dude in charge

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Robo Reagan posted:

this is what happens when one guy pisses off the dude in charge

More like what happens when someone with clinical OCD is given the authority to make their crippling mental illness everyone else's problem

numberoneposter posted:

[citation needed]

They do exist, but they're force powered Star Gates made by the Celestials, the progenitor race that discovered hyperspace tech, built giant space stations with tractor beams that would rearrange planets, stars and blackholes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Dude makes lightweight enjoyable sci fi movies, he's pretty much the ideal director for Star Wars.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

genesplicer posted:

This is a common artistic theme. If you examine Michaelangelo's "Creation of Adam" from the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, you can see much the same thing. Look at Adam's raised leg, and you will see Eve's body reflected there.

i dont know man, all im seeing is Caitlyn Jenner's genitalia

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

I am way more bothered by the success of Damon Lindelorf

Oh god yeah he's a hack. It's funny because "The Leftovers" is basically his furious ejaculation. It's amazing he didn't write it because it follows any story he does perfectly.

Almost every story Damon Lindelof has done:

Mysterious introduction
Main character is a Seeker who Wants to Know
Main character injects quasi-religious feels into their search
Plot happens. Quasi-religious symbolism is usually around here, and tends to be more about Damon Lindelof's religious anxiety than the actual plot of the story
Ultimately everything is unresolved because You Can't Know much like how God doesn't answer you when you pray.

He like many people in hollywood, has failed upward.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 4, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

FIRST TIME posted:

At least he's not Joss Whedon.
I came into this thread expecting to emphatically agree with the OP but this post has put things in perspective.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 5, 2015

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Joss Whedon certainly has many, many lows. On the whole I think his career is problematic.

That said, Whedon can write and is capable of being funny. Plus, "Firefly" was a genuinely creative and good series. In retrospect it probably benefited from being a dozen episodes only and not reaching the lows that typical tv shows on network television end up sinking to (especially on account of the 22+ episode seasons...Firefly only had 12 in its entirety.)

I don't believe that J.J Abrams has shown as much creativity as Whedon has. Whedon has a creative spark and his primary fault is that he should have been someone who writes one screenplay every few years or pitches tv shows rather being a director and show runner.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah whedon should have stuck to TV and not made two of the most popular movies of all time instead

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Buffy and Angel were legit and surprisingly influential shows, for better and for worse. Whedon is an rear end in a top hat and frequently sucks cock as a writer and is a flat-out bad visual filmmaker, no one can deny that, but there's a reason the dude keeps getting work.

Abrams' biggest contribution to movies are a few disposable popcorn flicks and a show with Jennifer Garner no one remembers at all. Star Wars looks profitable as balls though and not just because Star Wars-anything is guaranteed to make bank. It's like Abrams was a dorky goon kid in the 80s and knows exactly what manchildren want to see in a new Star Wars movie or something.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mind the walrus posted:

Abrams' biggest contribution to movies are a few disposable popcorn flicks and a show with Jennifer Garner no one remembers at all. Star Wars looks profitable as balls though and not just because Star Wars-anything is guaranteed to make bank. It's like Abrams was a dorky goon kid in the 80s and knows exactly what manchildren want to see in a new Star Wars movie or something.

I marathoned the first two seasons of this earlier this year. Having a show with not one, not two, but three Mary Sue main characters gets really old really fast, and Abrams is pathologically incapable of developing coherent conclusions to his mysterious plots. The only reason any of his work is well-regarded is due to excellent casting.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The Whole Internet posted:

well name a good thing that has been made in comparison, so we can all judge your opinions on things

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

I marathoned the first two seasons of this earlier this year. Having a show with not one, not two, but three Mary Sue main characters gets really old really fast, and Abrams is pathologically incapable of developing coherent conclusions to his mysterious plots. The only reason any of his work is well-regarded is due to excellent casting.

I'll give him credit he's also fantastic at managing/making production design choices. Everything of his I've ever seen leaves me thinking "that's a cool-looking set." Whedon literally doesn't know what to do with a good set when you give one to him.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Does Jennifer Garner have a career still? What's she up to these days

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Goons think disney would give the job of directing the first important edition of their new 4 billlion $ franchise to some clown rear end director? Nah they are cold and calculating they know abrams will deliver the film they need to secure their investment

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

thathonkey posted:

Goons think disney would give the job of directing the first important edition of their new 4 billlion $ franchise to some clown rear end director? Nah they are cold and calculating they know abrams will deliver the film they need to secure their investment

I can't wait for Warner Herzog to do episode 11

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Quentin tarantino or bust

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i like jj abrams. you people hate him because you are nerds

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
he makes good movies

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

thathonkey posted:

Quentin tarantino or bust

I still want Guy Richie to do one so very bad.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah that'd be good. Also David Fincher or James Cameron

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
his nose looks like the underside of a dick

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
People keep saying that his films are entertaining, but his action setpieces are terribly dull.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Booblord Zagats posted:

I still want Guy Richie to do one so very bad.

He's even worse than Abrams

thathonkey posted:

also David Fincher or James Cameron

Fincher would be amazing, I love Tarantino but he has to do his own thing and sticking to the rules of an established franchise would chafe him

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Zzulu posted:

just working on those flappy-rear end lips with a bicycle pump

poo poo like Reeboks, mash that button until the air come back in

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Tarantino's career is based on the same principle as starwars, "I watched some old classic movies and TV shows and now I really want to make my own borrowing HEAVILY from the source material" the difference is Tarantino gets great performances

JJ abrams is garbage

Josh Wheadon is garbage

Fincher is great but idk about him making some mainline epic starwars movie. give him a spinoff

naem
May 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

She hasn't aged well

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

From my point of view

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

prob figuring out how much of Ben Affleck's money she can get her hands on so she will never have to do another CapitalOne commercial.

Chomp8645 posted:

Star Trek was already dead, Star Wars was guaranteed to become gay the moment it was purchased for $4 billion.

Who cares what JJ does with them.

more or less. im still seeing it on opening weekend but im not expecting anything more than another new Star Wars movie only this time brought to u by Disney

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 6, 2015

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Really for anyone who didn't grow up in the Cold War, and didn't see Alien in the theater as a teenager and get mentally hosed up by HR Giger's work, the Watchmen's message really doesn't work as well. Like we needed anymore reason to hate Millennials, lol

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

more like J. J. Gaybrams lol!!!

has someone referred to him as J. J. Gaybrams itt

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Furious Mittens posted:

I'm a little worried about JJ doing this with Luke in the new film, given how little we have seen or heard about his role. PLOT TWIST - TWO LUKES! One is old and the other is a young version from another dimension!

I wonder if Han and Leia have a kid who steals their speeder bike, and runs it off a cliff while the Beastie Boys are playing, but he catches the edge of the cliff at the last moment in slow motion.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

MiracleWhale posted:

jar jar gaybrams

now it's complete

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
the star wars films are lovely movies made for children so this lovely director seems more or less suited tbh

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Booblord Zagats posted:

I can't wait for Warner Herzog to do episode 11

Scroll opening plot: "It is the last day of the year on planet Hoth and it is unusually mild at 33 degrees below zero..."

Phlairdon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MiracleWhale posted:

you're leaving money on the table with this half-measure bullshit, just go all out

Gay-Gay Gaybrams

• Locked thread