Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I didn't even realize Maeda was officially posted yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dodgers have 7 (8?) starters now?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

Seems like the only one without major question marks is Kershaw, too. Interesting approach, I guess

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Clayton Kershaw
Brett Anderson
Alex Wood
Scott Kazmir
Hyun-jin Ryu
Kenta Maeda
Mike Bolsinger
Brandon McCarthy

and fringe guys like Joe Wieland/Carlos Frias. I guess they are just throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Remember when they had 8 a few years ago then their rotation turned into a MASH unit and they had like Kershaw and Ryu and a bunch of trash

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Traxis posted:

Clayton Kershaw
Brett Anderson
Alex Wood
Scott Kazmir
Hyun-jin Ryu
Kenta Maeda
Mike Bolsinger
Brandon McCarthy

and fringe guys like Joe Wieland/Carlos Frias. I guess they are just throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks.

They're basically taking the money Greinke walked away from and buying like 5 dudes with it

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

So who are the Dodgers trading Urias for then?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Remember when they had 8 a few years ago then their rotation turned into a MASH unit and they had like Kershaw and Ryu and a bunch of trash
that was before Ryu and Grienke arrived in LA. It was under NedCo and McCourt.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

that was before Ryu and Grienke arrived in LA. It was under NedCo and McCourt.

I was referring to 2013 (because I'm reading through The Best Team Money Can Buy):
Kershaw
Ryu
Greinke
Capuano
Nolasco
Beckett
Lilly
Billingsley

and they went and got Volquez partway through the season, too.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's urias's timeline? another year in the minors?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

what's urias's timeline? another year in the minors?
Yes, possibly a September call up this year. He needs to build up innings and had a bit of a setback in 2015 with his eye surgery.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

kensei posted:

So who are the Dodgers trading Urias for then?

Jose Fernandez :getin:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm quite certain that Loria would take cash considerations. A considerable amount of cash considerations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GeneX posted:

I'm quite certain that Loria would take cash considerations. A considerable amount of cash considerations.
its a shame MLB rules prohibit this

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

Plenty of trade deadline bait

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

bawfuls posted:

its a shame MLB rules prohibit this

he'll find a way

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Uhh so I'm in Australia for the holiday so I'm too busy to follow this too closely, but the Sydney Morning Herald says the Dodgers gave Maeda 8 years? That seems like it has to be the longest contract for an NPB posting. I'm assuming there's some opt outs though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Uhh so I'm in Australia for the holiday so I'm too busy to follow this too closely, but the Sydney Morning Herald says the Dodgers gave Maeda 8 years? That seems like it has to be the longest contract for an NPB posting. I'm assuming there's some opt outs though
it's complicated with a lot of incentives and vesting options apparently. Word is min 5 years and up to 8 with all the incentives. Details will take. a few days to come out.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

it's complicated with a lot of incentives and vesting options apparently. Word is min 5 years and up to 8 with all the incentives. Details will take. a few days to come out.

Base contract is $24 million over 8 years with another possible $10-12 million per year in incentives. Will be interesting to see exactly what kinds of incentives we're talking about. Seems like a good deal, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
IIRC the CBA puts very strict limits on incentives and you're only allowed to base incentives on playing time (games played, games started for starters/finished for relievers, PAs or innings or that kind of thing).

Maybe that's only for vesting options but I think it applies to financial incentives too.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Man there really must not have been much of a market for him

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Man there really must not have been much of a market for him

Once the Dodgers won the posting Maeda could only negotiate with them so it was either take this poo poo contract or go back to Japan.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

regfairfield posted:

Once the Dodgers won the posting Maeda could only negotiate with them so it was either take this poo poo contract or go back to Japan.

That's not how it works anymore

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

regfairfield posted:

New system is the posting fee is a set amount, and any team can negotiate with the player if they're willing to pay the fee. Seems better for MLB teams and the player, worse for the NPB teams because the posting fee is capped.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

^^^ not quite, there's a max posting fee but it's still a bidding process. If multiple teams bid max though then they can all negotiate with the guy and he can choose which contract to sign

regfairfield posted:

wut

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

^^^ not quite, there's a max posting fee but it's still a bidding process. If multiple teams bid max though then they can all negotiate with the guy and he can choose which contract to sign

wut

I mean, $3m/year for a full 8 years of your prime is a pretty poo poo deal for anyone who is better than, say, Junior Felix.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

IcePhoenix posted:

wut

Ah, thanks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Everblight posted:

I mean, $3m/year for a full 8 years of your prime is a pretty poo poo deal for anyone who is better than, say, Junior Felix.

Oh wow, I read that as 24 million PER year. Ok yeah, that's a really weird deal even with the incentives, makes me wonder what everyone else was offering or if there was a huge medical red flag that popped up

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The medical red flag is probably that he weighs 150 pounds

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Supposedly there's $10-12M per year in incentives, and considering those cant be performance based really anymore it sounds like he'll make solid money as long as he's healthy. But again all we have is that one guy on twitter's posts so who knows

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That is a ridiculous deal and Maeda should fire his agent.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MassaShowtime posted:

That is a ridiculous deal and Maeda should fire his agent.

I saw a tweet claiming he is self represented

https://twitter.com/presidual/status/683104878864891905

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2016

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
What in the gently caress :stare:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

I saw a tweet claiming he is self represented

https://twitter.com/presidual/status/683104878864891905

Jesus Christmas.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That is astounding.

It's like seeing someone who refuses a lawyer so they can represent themselves and they end up with triple the fines then if they had just ponied up for the lawyer.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
That's like collusion money. :lol:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That is Salvador Perez levels of exploitation, wow.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
"How the hell do I owe the Dodgers 2 Million a year and I have to pay for my own hotels?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Man of Hey has left CBS Sports.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/jon-heyman-has-left-cbs-sports.html

• Locked thread