Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Name: Leonard Snart
Nickname: Captain Cold
Position: C
Player Type: Runs fast, can't hit. Can't throw for poo poo, but can catch.
Other:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Name: Simon MacGregor
Nickname: Little Time Sim Sam
Position: 3B
Player Type: Contact out the rear end and a bit of fielding. XBH are for scrubs.
Other: Hair is blonde, beard is the longest goatee you can find. Brother to ace closer Rob MacGregor of the Istanbul Constantinoples.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Name: Average Kilza
Nickname:
Position: Random non-pitching position
Player Type: Average at everything.
Other: Average height, average weight, average looks, average everything, really.

I will be the most average guy ever to play in the MLB. :colbert:

e: Changed my name, really trying to be average. (Although if I'm too late then that's fine)

Kilza fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 4, 2015

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kilza posted:

Name: Andrew Kilza
Nickname:
Position: Random non-pitching position
Player Type: Average at everything.
Other: Average height, average weight, average looks, average everything, really.

I will be the most average guy ever to play in the MLB. :colbert:
Aka Bob Milquetoast
Aka Steve Whitebread
Aka Darwin Barney

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Name: Rick Hardslab
Nickname: Hard
Position: SP
Player Type: Power Pitcher, 100 MPH Heater, some random offspeed stuff, but most importantly the heater.
Other: Right Handed dude with a creepy mustache

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Name: Andrei Smirnov
Nickname: Smirnov Ice
Position: 1B/DH
Player Type: Thinking of Frank Thomas with the glove, John Olerud on the basepaths, almost no walks, absolutely no strikeouts, a high average, and lots of doubles and homers. The ceiling I'm thinking of is like a .320/.350/.650 line with 50 doubles and 50 homers.
Other: A massive dude, like 6'7" and 280 lbs. Right handed. Origin from Chelyabinsk, Russia, should look like Igor Larionov. Favors return to Leninism.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Name: M. Bison
Nickname: Dictator
Position: LF/RF
Player Type: Moderately fast, offense focused corner outfielder. Not a great glove, but speed covers a bit for it. Focuses on having a strong all-round offensive game (Good power and basepath speed, especially), but can be fooled into swinging and missing easily.
Other: Caucasian with a distinctive jawline, no beard. Evil dictator from Southeast Asia, not much of a team player. Right handed. Lets say place of origin is Bangkok, Thailand. If possible, wants to be paid in Bison Dollars, which are exchanged at a rate of five english pounds per bison dollar.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Excellent, this is plenty of signups to do at least 2 waves, maybe 3. Feel free to keep signing up, and I'll get the first batch in tonight and see if I can't get the first year or so done sooner rather than later.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I hope that Gretchen "Gretchen Gretchen" Gretchen blows out every ligament in his body answering the phone for the draft

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Name: Carlton Barlton
Nickname: Pickles
Position: Outfield
Player Type: Good glove, Doubles Machine
Other:
Born: Ontario, Canada.
Birthday: July 1st
Throws: Right / Bats: Left
Average height and weight. Clean shaven.
Three-time High School Curling Bonspiel Champion.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The first batch of players is in! I've made this sheet to help me keep track of things:

Excel Sheet

If you didn't get in this first batch, don't worry, you'll be in soon enough. I can do 10-15 a year, and did 16 this time, but it may flood the league with talent a bit too much so I'll probably do 10 at a time for future years.

Meet the first batch of goons!

I rolled a dice to determine your overall skill level, but do remember that scouting is on and the league's default scout is kind of lovely, so you may be better or worse than your potential rating: Some of you also chose positions that may or may not already be inundated with talent at the major league level, and are thus evaluated relative to MLB players, and may yet be objectively but not relatively talented. Don't be too optimistic though - typically, players under-perform relative to their expectations. It's still a loaded draft thanks to you guys.

Here's the most anticipated players for the 2015 Amateur Draft:

But you aren't quite the best in the pool - Chuck Johnson is the most highly rated, but still ranks only 20th overall by pure potential rating, despite Vaughn and Unts making the top 10 list.

I'll note some interesting alternate-timeline events like funny awards, trades, injuries, etc as I sim across seasons and add them for flavor. The first notable one:

:eek: :rip: Clayton, no 2015 for you. That's all for now, because the amateur draft is finally here!

2015 Amateur Draft Results:

1.2 CF Chuck Johnson - Colorado Rockies :getin:
1.3 1B Glorious Communist Bear - Texas Rangers
1.4 SP Victor Raines - Minnesota Twins
1.6 3B Art Vandelay - Boston Red Sox
1.9 RF Rusty Unts - Chicago Cubs
1.10 1B New Concept - Cincinnati Reds
1.30 SP Richard Vaughn III - Los Angeles Angels
2.1 C Ammat O'Goku - Arizona Diamondbacks
3.1 2B Harry Callahan - Arizona Diamondbacks
3.12 SP Monicro James - Miami Marlins
5.7 1B Orkun Sahin - Philadelphia Phillies
5.23 SS Black Sambo - San Francisco Giants
5.29 CF R.D. Mangles - Washington Nationals
8.23 2B Cash Considerations - San Francisco Giants
12.12 C Roll Fizzlebeef - Miami Marlins
21.7 C Dick Trickle - Philadelphia Phillies

Quite the cluster in the first round, with almost half of you going then. Not sure why Dick Trickle fell so far, but maybe he's already falling off on talent? Or he's a hidden gem, who knows. Probably doesn't help that so many of you made catchers.

Congrats to Chuck Johnson who not only was drafted before all the other goons and thus wins the goon draft award for 2015, but was also drafted by the Rockies, ensuring him a future full of beautiful dingers.

Also congrats to those with goon buddies on your team - the Giants, Diamondbacks, and Marlins were all gifted with multiple goons. Remember that being drafted is NOT a guarantee of signing, and we will now sim ahead to see who signs, and for how much. If you fail to sign you will re-enter the draft next year.

2015 Amateur Draft Signing Results and Bonuses

1.2 CF Chuck Johnson - Colorado Rockies Signed $4,530,000
1.3 1B Glorious Communist Bear - Texas Rangers Signed $8,800,000
1.4 SP Victor Raines - Minnesota Twins Signed $6,600,000
1.6 3B Art Vandelay - Boston Red Sox Did not sign!
1.9 RF Rusty Unts - Chicago Cubs Signed $5,860,000
1.10 1B New Concept - Cincinnati Reds Signed $4,180,000
1.30 SP Richard Vaughn III - Los Angeles Angels Signed $2,420,000
2.1 C Ammat O'Goku - Arizona Diamondbacks Signed $1,740,000
3.1 2B Harry Callahan - Arizona Diamondbacks Signed $1,430,000
3.12 SP Monicro James - Miami Marlins Signed $570,000
5.7 1B Orkun Sahin - Philadelphia Phillies Did not Sign!
5.23 SS Black Sambo - San Francisco Giants Did not Sign!
5.29 CF R.D. Mangles - Washington Nationals Signed $230,000
8.23 2B Cash Considerations - San Francisco Giants Signed No Bonus
12.12 C Roll Fizzlebeef - Miami Marlins Signed No Bonus
21.7 C Dick Trickle - Philadelphia Phillies Signed No Bonus

Glorious Communist Bear managed the best bonus, but in line with his marxist principles, donated the entire sum to the MLB player's association. :ussr:

You'll notice that three players did not sign with their drafted teams. Some will do this to try and get a better draft position or signing bonus next year by honing their skills, though it's surprising that the sixth overall pick couldn't come up with something. Maybe the Red Sox were being too cheap? In the case of Sahin or Sambo it's hard to say whether it was the player or the team who balked at their offers, but given that it was probably in the 300,000 dollar range, they may just want more money. The guys who are already multi-millionaires certainly feel less financial pressure to compete.

Most of you are immediately sent to the rookie leagues, which is the lowest level of play in baseball. Some of you are already at S A (short season A) or A - which is followed by AA and AAA, before you're ready for the majors. It's impossible to say exactly how your career trajectory may go, and you may even be called up only to be demoted again. Only time will tell.

I sim through the season and take note of the All-Star teams. Some familiar faces, some... unexpected ones:

Also, the standings at the all-star break:

The Marlins are making a strong playoff push behind All-Star and team leader Marcell Ozuna. :rip: Washington Nationals, where Bryce Harper is batting a disappointing .246.

:smug: Suck it haters, the A's are soaring behind superstar Brett Lawrie, who is hitting .321 with a 148 OPS+. Donaldson is only hitting .251 with an OPS+ of 98. And the Astros' pitching staff can barely field a starter who can pitch under a 5.00 ERA. Dallas Keuchel is at 5.50 ERA.

Truly an accurate simulation.

Final 2015 Standings:

:smug: :smug: Billy Beane, master baseball man. :smug: :smug:

The playoffs are certainly wacky (Marlins??? A's???, but of course STL still makes it), but that's not the most notable aberration of this universe. Is it Brett Lawrie leading the AL in WAR and the likely MVP? No. Is it Buster Posey leading the Giants to a probably MVP, alongside Brandon Belt who led the league with 113 RBI's while the pitching collapsed? Nope.

It's the return of the Freak himself, Big Time Timmy Jim:

Apparently all the Giants had to do was send Timmy back down to AAA for half a season!

But the Giants have little to celebrate, as the playoffs end in disaster:

But this isn't the only news, nor the biggest news. The next day, the league made a dramatic announcement:

The League will be expanding by two teams, with an expansion draft later in November. It's of little consequence to most of you, but league expansion comes with an expansion draft, in which you could technically be snapped up and brought to one of the two new team's farm systems.

Also the Reds' owner, Bob Castellini, dies. If you're a reds fan and you care.

The awards also come in, with some pretty regular results. Miggy and Goldschmidt win their respective league MVP's, and Matt Latos somehow manages to win the NL Cy Young.

But this is the real kicker:

Forget that he's a relief pitcher who only threw 74 innings, apparently he was better than the scrub Sonny Gray, whose 144 ERA+ and league-leading whip (and 3.06 ERA) were insufficient to beat him out. The gently caress, OOTP?

Here's your players' statuses at the end of the year:

Congrats to Cash Considerations and Roll Fizzle for technically reaching the majors first! But it's only technical - neither of you played a single game above single-A, and probably are only on the expanded rosters. You'll probably go back to the minors before next year.

Next update: The new goons of 2016 are added and drafted, the league adds two new teams, and we start simming much more quickly! I won't bother to highlight every silly thing every season, just thought I'd have fun with 2015. Further seasons will become increasingly removed from our own universe anyway.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 4, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

HOCKLES NOT SURE OF AGE.
HOCKLES NOT HAVE PASSPORT.
HOCKLES SPEND LAST WINTER IN YUKON CHOPPING WOOD FOR NO REASON.
BIRD LIVE IN HOCKLES BEARD.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Love it so far

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This owns

When will cash be traded

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZenVulgarity posted:

This owns

When will cash be traded

Hopefully soon and frequently but his rating keeps dropping so I think he'll be gone pretty soon.

Also first year players showing up on the MLB roster like that usually happens when they're placed on the 60-day DL I believe so you might want to check our injury statuses.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The OOTP AI is bad sometimes with plugging in lineups for minor league teams. I usually have to manually run it when doing something like this once in a while.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
loving hell I'm a D-Back? OOTP is a motherfucker.

Also when will we have webpages for our dudes? I wanna inundated Facebook with my (already trending downwards) fake baseball career.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Betances winning the CYA is 100% realistic imo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zakharov posted:

Betances winning the CYA is 100% realistic imo

Especially in a season with pretty middling numbers!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

My boy Sahin, you've fallen so hard.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hope Mike Bukowski anchors the Austin Sky bullpen for years to come

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
my dude's potential is 69, so so Nice

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
thank god, I'm not a red sock. Wasn't looking forward to having to force a trade

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Monicro posted:

Nice

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

The OOTP AI is bad sometimes with plugging in lineups for minor league teams. I usually have to manually run it when doing something like this once in a while.

Yeah, this. I checked and some of you are sitting on the bench for your minor league teams, even though you've got higher potential than many of your teammates. I'll do what I can to try and get you playing time, but you'll get in there eventually. Most of you are regularly playing.

IcePhoenix posted:

Hopefully soon and frequently but his rating keeps dropping so I think he'll be gone pretty soon.

Also first year players showing up on the MLB roster like that usually happens when they're placed on the 60-day DL I believe so you might want to check our injury statuses.

I thought this might be it too, but no, the Giants promoted Cash Considerations to the majors and he is on their official lineup card as the utility/backup second baseman. I guess being decent at short season A was sufficient, but checking this revealed something:

The Giants signed This guy as their every day 2B out of Cuba for only a million dollars. Panik was traded to the dodgers for Justin Turner :shrug:

Monicro posted:

:heysexy:

Drunk Canuck posted:

My boy Sahin, you've fallen so hard.

I have no idea why his potential is listed as 21 when his individual ratings are still really good. OOTP scouting is weird.

Inspector_666 posted:

loving hell I'm a D-Back? OOTP is a motherfucker.

Also when will we have webpages for our dudes? I wanna inundated Facebook with my (already trending downwards) fake baseball career.

Trying to get this working now, and if that fails, I'll just sim another year instead. Can't do both, sadly, since uploading takes forever.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

JosefStalinator posted:

The playoffs are certainly wacky (Marlins??? A's???, but of course STL still makes it), but that's not the most notable aberration of this universe. Is it Brett Lawrie leading the AL in WAR and the likely MVP? No. Is it Buster Posey leading the Giants to a probably MVP, alongside Brandon Belt who led the league with 113 RBI's while the pitching collapsed? Nope.

It's the return of the Freak himself, Big Time Timmy Jim:

Apparently all the Giants had to do was send Timmy back down to AAA for half a season!

:allears: This is the best universe, Dodgers winning the World Series be damned.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheMcD posted:

:allears: This is the best universe, Dodgers winning the World Series be damned.

Is it truly worth it? It'll be interesting to see if the Giants re-sign Timmy, or where he goes as a FA.

Also, I somehow managed to crash my entire website, including the old MaILB pages . Oops. I'll... do another update while I try to figure that out.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
Just read through the spreadsheet, and yeah, how the hell did I get renamed as a nickname?

However it happened, I'm cool with rolling with "Jia-Jung_Lin 'Junkyard' Squires Jr." from here on out

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Who does this Art Vandelay think he is, not signing for the team that drafted him? He must've wanted Ted Danson money.

I've got news for you, Art Vandelay. You aren't Ted Danson.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Monicro posted:

Nice

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Orkun, start eating raw eggs in the morning. You need more muscle.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think it's amazing my guy went to Colorado where he can hit all the dingers with no care in the world :3:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Hope I make it to rookie ball next year. :downsgun:

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Name: Ricky Steves
Nickname: Tricky
Position: 1B
Player Type: Batting) incredible eye, decent contact, lovely power
Running) Good instincts, average to below average speed
Fielding) Smart fielder/instincts, but not very quick/rangey
Other: Right handed, and if this is possible, give him some lovely pitching skills so he can pitch in blowouts :getin:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2015 Offseason

Since I apparently broke my hosting domain somehow, and I'm waiting for it to be fixed (because I'm a computer illiterate idiot), let's get some more goons in the game. Don't worry, all records will still be preserved. Probably.

First thing that happens is that free agents file:

At some point Greinke re-signed with the World Series Champion Dodgers, so the top free agents are Cueto, Latos, Alex Gordon, and David Price.

More interesting however, is the expansion draft. The way it works is that each existing team gets to protect 25 players, who cannot be taken from their team. Among the remaining players, the two new teams, the Austin Sky and Memphis Lnyx (dumb names) get to alternate picking until they have a decent roster. They're mostly going to be getting trash, relief pitchers, and second rate prospects, but they'll catch up eventually.

As far as I can tell none of you are protected, but I doubt you're developed enough to be worth taking over some of the few decent MLB ready players that snuck in.

:wtf: For some reason Tampa Bay didn't protect Matt Moore, their second best pitcher? Memphis manages to assemble something of a decent team, while Austin is going to be awful. No goons appear to have been moved around.

I think the most infuriating thing is that the NL Central once again has 6 teams :hehe:

The Hall of Fame voting also occurs, as we go beyond our own reality's present and into the future:

Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza both make the hall of fame. Of course, our lord and savior and bringer of dingers, Barrold Bonds, is not inducted. This injustice may or may not stand throughout his eligible years, but I'll be checking up on it each time.

With that ends the 2015 year, and we fast forward to the new season. I will say one thing - of all the times I've ever simmed a MLB league, I've never had league expansion happen the first year. Every single other time I've done it, they adopt the DH in the NL at the earliest possible opportunity.

2016 Season

The year begins uneventfully, though the Dodgers continue to buy everything under the sun, and sign Matt Latos and Alex Gordon.

Come opening day, every single one of you is back in the rookie leagues for some reason:

:shrug: Stupid AI isn't utilizing you properly. Good thing I'm going to start simming much more quickly!

But oh well, time to add more goons:

Goons of 2016

Welcome newbies (and also those who were undrafted last year). Protip: asking for only one pitch (even if its really good) is probably a bad idea. Also, moosejaw was not modified at all (just added a few inches to his height), he came out majestic as hell :eyepop:

Time to get drafted!

2016 Amateur Draft!

Remember that the draft order is in reverse order to last season's standings, with the expansion teams drafting first:

S = Supplemental Round (Provided to teams for compensation).

1.1 SS Bill Hrenchuk - Mephis Lynx
1.3 SP Moosejaw Hockles - Houston Astros
1.4 3B Raul Ordonez - Texas Rangers
1.6 3B Art Vandelay - Philadelphia Phillies
1.7 1B - Föstólfur Eyjafjallajökull - Boston Red Sox
1.16 RF Zak Harov - Tampa Bay Rays
1.21 2B Gretchen "Gretchen 'Gretchen Gretchen' Gretchen" Gretchen - Pittsburgh Pirates
1.22 LF Sam Booty - San Diego Padres
1.3S 1B Sud Belig - Baltimore Orioles
2.10 SS Black Sambo - Arizona Diamondbacks
3.14 CF Jim Power - Colorado Rockies :lol:
12.2 1B YOST BOT - Austin Sky
32.1 RP Mike Bukowski :hehe:
Undrafted! 1B Orkhun Sahin :(

Some notable things:
-Bill Hrenchuk is the first goon to be drafted first overall, AND the first to be drafted by one of the new expansion teams. Especially cool is that you'll probably be the SS of their future, and have lots of playing time once you make it up, with no one notable to compete with.
-Art Vandelay was re-drafted in the exact same spot, 1.6. Just by the Phillies now. Hope they aren't as cheap!
-Black Sambo actually improved his draft position considerably by waiting a year. He's much more likely to get good money now, so his strategy paid off.
-Orkhun Sahin was not drafted and returned to college. He'll still be around next year, don't worry, but time is a tickin'. Shoulda taken last year's offer!
-Mike Bukowski wins the award for the latest actual pick, which he instantly accepted for no bonus. Technically not the last round though, there's 35!

I need to take care of a few things, so I'll post whether they sign and their bonuses, and hopefully sim through 2016 shortly.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 5, 2015

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Oh man this is turning out great (minus the Dodgers winning the World Series). I believe in the star power of Ammat O'Goku!

Can you change the expansion team's names into something better?

I vote the Austin Ed Sox

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The best talent is... Canadian?!

Check the birth certificates! :freep:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

HOCKLES THROW BASEBALL HARD
HOCKLES WANT #10
HOCKLES NOT SURE WHAT SPUR IS
WHERE SNOW

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oh man this is turning out great (minus the Dodgers winning the World Series). I believe in the star power of Ammat O'Goku!

Can you change the expansion team's names into something better?

I vote the Austin Ed Sox

This is beautiful, and shall be done if no one proposes a better one. Got any suggestions for Memphis?

New Concept Hole posted:

The best talent is... Canadian?!

Check the birth certificates! :freep:

Ted Cruz 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Memphis Blue Suede Shoes

• Locked thread