Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JosefStalinator posted:

Aww I thought Biceps was a good name so I kept it :(. As for his build, I did what you said and took out all other pitches and gave him a boost to his fastball, and took away movement. The problem is this - it's a terrible build that he's actively trying to develop away from regardless of what I do! Also I think you just got bad dice rolls (by the game, not me) and your fastball lost some of its oomph :(. Believe it or not, throwing a really fast fastball down the middle is a bad strategy!

I shoulda made him throw a cutter but that was too close to Mariano Rivera. I hope he finds his way one day, elsewise there's always a job open for Bukowski down at the steel mill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

JosefStalinator posted:

"No Beard/Moustache. Righty. Born in San Francisco. Is very handsome." :swoon:

Checks out.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully I corrected all the errors in your guys' players.

My hosting is still down, hopefully it gets fixed by Monday (think tech support guys are off for the weekend, and it's not critical) so for now...

2017 Season

Welcome, new goons! (and also Sahin)

The pitchers rolled well this time. Joey Guns rolled a great closer and has possibly the best Knuckleball ever. How could it go wrong? :getin:

Don't panic if you're Snart or Barleton, I think you guys are undervalued. I also fixed Nelson Frazier's name.

Of course, what we all want is to be drafted!

2017 Draft Pool Announcement

Rick Hardslab and Cupid Titcomb make the top 10 prospect list. It's a good year for pitching prospects.

Also :siren: Two players, Cash Considerations and Roll Fizzlebeef, have started playing at AAA :siren: This is great news, as AAA is just a step down from MLB. They are the front runners to be the first goon to play in the majors!

...then I simmed to the draft, and they both got demoted back to single A. :negative: It's progress, I guess.

2017 Amateur Draft Results

1.2 SP Rick Hardslab - Houston Astros
1.5 SP Cupid Titcomb - Austin Ed Sox
1.8 C Nelson Frazier - Pittsburgh Pirates
1.18 CL Joey Guns - Chicago White Sox
1.19 LF M. Bison - San Francisco Giants
1.25 SP Seth Iroth - Los Angeles Angels
1.29 3B Simon MacGregor - Oakland Athletics
2.19 1B Andrei Smirnov - Baltimore Orioles
3.35 LF Carlton Barlton - Los Angeles Dodgers
5.6 C Leonard Snart - Colorado Rockies (seriously Rockies are only drafting guys with no power)
10.21 RF Average Kilza - New York Yankees (above average draft position???)
27.26 1B Orkun Sahin - Cincinnati Reds (yay you got drafted this time!)

Every one got drafted, including Sahin! Whether every one will accept is another story, but Sahin probably should, as he's unlikely to get another chance. He went from the fifth round to the 27th round, losing out on any chance at a bonus (probably would have gotten 100k or so) and 2 years of development. Oopsie!

Interesting to see Joey Guns go so early as a reliever, and everyone went by the fifth round aside from Kilza and Sahin. Definitely a good batch, when over half of you are drafted in the first round.

But will you sign?

2017 Draft Results and Signings

1.2 SP Rick Hardslab - Houston Astros - DID NOT SIGN!???
1.5 SP Cupid Titcomb - Austin Ed Sox SIGNED $7,700,000
1.8 C Nelson Frazier - Pittsburgh Pirates SIGNED $4,430,000
1.18 CL Joey Guns - Chicago White Sox SIGNED $1,480,000
1.19 LF M. Bison - San Francisco Giants SIGNED $2,200,000
1.25 SP Seth Iroth - Los Angeles Angels SIGNED $2,200,000
1.29 3B Simon MacGregor - Oakland Athletics SIGNED $2,020,000
2.19 1B Andrei Smirnov - Baltimore Orioles SIGNED $530,000
3.35 LF Carlton Barlton - Los Angeles Dodgers SIGNED $250,000
5.6 C Leonard Snart - Colorado Rockies DID NOT SIGN
10.21 RF Average Kilza - New York Yankees SIGNED - NO BONUS
27.26 1B Orkun Sahin - Cincinnati Reds SIGNED - NO BONUS

:wow: Rick Hardslab failed to sign with the Astros, by far our biggest non-signing yet. It's very likely it was due to the Astros either intentionally drafting him then using their budget for guys further down (and denying other teams the ability to sign him for this year), or they simply couldn't agree to an acceptable signing bonus. Hardslab is really drat good, and will probably stay good in college, and will get drafted again next year. But he better hope he doesnt get hurt or otherwise decline down at Stephen. F. Austin University in Texas, or he could lose out on a lot of his signing bonus (and be shamed!).

Leonard Snart also didn't sign, which is somewhat sad, as he was a bit low to begin with. He'll probably be back next year, and was on the lower end of bonuses anyway, so we'll see.

Congrats to Cupid Titcomb for winning the best bonus award for 2017, and to Sahin for being drafted way in the 27th round!

Here's all of your statuses at the midway point of 2017. You're now too numerous to fit in one screenshot.

2017 Goons

Somehow Smirnov is promoted straight to AAA and is playing there now? :confuoot: Maybe you'll make it to the majors!

2017 All Star Roster

Some familiar faces, but lots of new ones too. I guess the NL really needs second basemen, and the AL needs shortstops. For some reason the Red Sox are playing Bogaerts at 1B instead of SS, and deploying a really lovely SS (defensively and offensively) instead. We need an OOTP smiley to cover stupid AI poo poo.

While we sim through the season, let's remember those who left us at the end of the 2016 season.

Jason Grilli calls it quits after a long career as a relief pitcher. R.A. Dickey's retirement is especially sad, but well deserved. He reinvented his career as a knuckleballer and won the Cy Young in 2012 in storybook fashion. Check out the movie Knuckleball for some good baseball stuff. Andres Torres was a mediocre center fielder, and I don't know who the other two are.

Trade news! For whatever bizarre reason, the Giants trade their Cuban sensation 2B Jose Fernandez to Tampa Bay, in exchange for Zak Harov and some cash. Fernandez bat .301 last year and was batting .371 halfway through 2017, and was earning arbitration money as a rookie, and thus dirt cheap. Maybe Zak Harov will learn from another slugging left-hander how to dinger at ATT Park...

This is also great news for Cash Considerations, as it opens up second base in the Giants organization. For now the Giants will roll with Daniel Murphy (yes, the same one). (Also the Giants apparently traded Matt Duffy and Joe Panik, so they're overpaying for a worse infield. But at least they have Jeurys Familia for it :-/)

This shows up in my news list:

Sam Booty tears up the Arizona league, hitting three home runs in one game. Including a grand slam. That's the kinda play that gets you promoted.

Oh who am I kidding you're all going to be stuck in the rookie leagues forever.

The rest of the season is uneventful.

2017 Regular Season Standings

The Dodgers and A's win their divisions again, but some surprises, and some disappointment. Disappointment: The Red Sox and Yankees both make the playoffs.

The surprise, though? The Seattle Mariners somehow stumble their way into a wild card berth! How the hell did they manage it? It shouldn't surprise you to learn that they were mostly carried by King Felix himself, with help from Taijuan Walker (Iwakuma was not offered any deal and retired this year, with no offers in 2016 or 2017 :( ) Offensively, only Robinson Cano and Kennys Vargas do anything of note.

...too bad they are eliminated in the wild card game, 7-3 by the Red Sox. Looks like King Felix had to pitch them to their narrow playoff berth, and wasn't rested for it. :rip:

2017 Playoffs

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gasAm4DIVsg (seriously watch this its the most cubs video)

Wow. They finally did it. After 109 years, the Cubs won the world series (in OOTP). Anthony Rizzo was declared the MVP with 3 HR's and 8 RBI's. It should be noted that Boston suffered a disastrous injury in game 1. 2016 MVP Xander Bogaerts was hit by a pitch thrown by Kyle Hendricks and suffered a fractured wrist, missing the rest of the series.

Theo really did it. The Cubs have by far the best bullpen in baseball, even if their "ace" is James Paxton, and their best hitter is... Justin Upton?? :lol:

As the baseball world gets over the shock of the greatest championship drought of all time finally ending, some of our boys get their own awards:

Congrats Monicro "The Wall" James! You manage to win the Gulf Coast league's version of the Cy Young award, dominating all the scrubs with a 299 ERA+.

2017 MLB Awards
AL MVP: Nomar Mazara
NL MVP: Bryce Harper
AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez
NL Cy Young: Alex Wood

Nomar Mazara? Yup, some rookie from the Rangers won the MVP award, and it was well deserved. We are seeing the new generation arise. When will it be the goons' turn?

Also King Felix deserves more Cy Young's. It is an objective fact.

2017 Retirements

I remember to check these in the same year this time. No one really all that notable: Johnson was a starter who jumped around a lot, Machi was a mediocre relief pitcher, Werth was a good player in his time, and Juan Uribe was very fat.

2017 Hall of Fame Voting Results

A good voting, relatively speaking. Chipper Jones and Jeff Bagwell get in (finally and barely), but more importantly, Barry Bonds increases in his vote share to 63%. Also Roger Clemens should get in next year. I guess OOTP models the death of old farts, or something? Will the roided out goons have to wait 5 years for their HoF induction?

To finish us off, another trade:

Art Vandelay, you're now in the Padres organization! Up to you to interpret that positively or negatively.

And let's end with your guys' current statuses:

2018 Pre-Season Goon Status

Develop God drat it! It's okay, we're almost out of draftable goons anyway, which will make simming entire seasons take no time at all.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"THAT'S THE WALL UP THERE, BROTHER! *points to the mound*"

Also Mike Trout's missed two ASGs in a row now. :wow:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Lmao 100 speed dogshit base running I love it

Holy holy does his defense blow

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Two seasons in the minors, not one point of development :(

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hell yeah, traded to the San Francisco Even Years and my potential's increased to 80. I'm still a 24 year old in A ball but stardom is coming!!!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What does the little fire emote mean on the list?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Inspector_666 posted:

What does the little fire emote mean on the list?

Fire means that they're on a hot streak, and the little snowflake means a cold streak.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JosefStalinator posted:

I still hate you for choosing low power and getting drafted by the Rockies.

It just shows that management knows you have to have a solid glove out there. :colbert:
I say this as my poor guy remains trapped at the rookie league level.

At least I get a little solace in the Cubs winning the series. I love that it came with somebody getting an injury from noted fireballer Kyle Hendricks.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The Reds have calmed the storm

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALFbrot posted:

Two seasons in the minors, not one point of development :(

That's just how the 20-80 scale works. When you're not at mlb level skills wise you're going to sit at 20 because even though you're developing you're not good enough to be there. Once your skills start getting to mlb level your overall rating will start shooting up really fast.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Please use this pic for Nelson Frazier

Let's call all of the cars and lead the Pirates to glory!

Mets dump Familia and Murphy and make the playoffs too! That's good!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Is there a chance Bukowski can find a part time job working ground crew in the ball parks he plays at?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
At least I finally made it out of Rookie League.

When you were testing this out, how many years did it take the average prospect to reach the majors?

JosefStalinator posted:

:wow: Rick Hardslab failed to sign with the Astros, by far our biggest non-signing yet. It's very likely it was due to the Astros either intentionally drafting him then using their budget for guys further down (and denying other teams the ability to sign him for this year), or they simply couldn't agree to an acceptable signing bonus. Hardslab is really drat good, and will probably stay good in college, and will get drafted again next year. But he better hope he doesnt get hurt or otherwise decline down at Stephen. F. Austin University in Texas, or he could lose out on a lot of his signing bonus (and be shamed!).

Oh, so OOTP accurately sims the Astros.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 6, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The Mets as well if you can follow the link to the thread I did :v:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 6, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole posted:

"THAT'S THE WALL UP THERE, BROTHER! *points to the mound*"

Also Mike Trout's missed two ASGs in a row now. :wow:

The gently caress, you're right. He's been pretty good too, winning the silver slugger at CF each year, and finishing second and third in MVP voting. Why no one wants him in the All-Star game is beyond me. He is making 33 million a year though :).

ZenVulgarity posted:

Lmao 100 speed dogshit base running I love it

Holy holy does his defense blow

Yikes. He really improved his speed, and he's fine as a first baseman. You picked the least useful defensive position...

Drunk Canuck posted:

The Reds have calmed the storm

I was genuinely worried Sahin would be shamed as the one fully undrafted goon :(. Maybe he could have gone and played in Korea, or something.

Armitage posted:

Please use this pic for Nelson Frazier

Let's call all of the cars and lead the Pirates to glory!

Mets dump Familia and Murphy and make the playoffs too! That's good!

The Mets rotation with Wheeler/Syndegaard/Harvey/DeGrom/Wacha is really unstoppable. Their offense is led by a 75 rated Kevin Plawecki... and Evan Gattis :negative:. They are playing 29 rated guys in their every day lineup.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

At least I finally made it out of Rookie League.

When you were testing this out, how many years did it take the average prospect to reach the majors?

It took about 2 years for the top guys, some of whom rocketted up really fast. I think we'll see our first promotions to the majors in 2018. Even if we don't, we're down to our last goon draft class, so simming will take me no time at all (it takes about 10 minutes to sim a season just because there's TONS of players and leagues, minor, independent, and international).

Speaking of Now's your last chance to get in the last draft class! I want to actually see you guys start your major league careers, so 2018 will be your final call.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

bit late, but I'm loving the communist bear's defensive abilities. Is is safe to say that they don't make gloves in a bears size?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheFlyingLlama posted:

bit late, but I'm loving the communist bear's defensive abilities. Is is safe to say that they don't make gloves in a bears size?

:catstare: drat, that's none of my doing. Yeah, I'm going to say they don't make any equipment in bear size. He has career DH written all over him.

Also my domain appears to be up again, I will now try AGAIN to get your player profiles uploaded, so you can pour over all this minutia in real time!

EDIT: Lol Glorious Bear has a .980 fielding percentage at first base :allears:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I won the rookie league cy young and lost like 20 points of potential, this fuckin game is rigged

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
jeez, in 2 years my dude's potential plummeted from 78-79 to 49.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thisusedyet posted:

jeez, in 2 years my dude's potential plummeted from 78-79 to 49.

"You'll be lucky to see Triple A".

But really, even if your guys manage to make 40-50 overall, they'll be regular MLB players.

Also, I'm uploading the league files as I type. Since it's the first time, it's probably going to take a few hours (and I'll probably mess it up somehow), but you should be able to check out all your players' stats on demand sometime tonight.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Could I get a 2B into the next round of rookies that's 5'5 125 lbs with top speed and slap hits everything?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Could I get a 2B into the next round of rookies that's 5'5 125 lbs with top speed and slap hits everything?

Sure, just fill out this template:

Name: First and Last
Nickname: Leave blank if you want the default/random one that the game assigns you
Position: What position do you want to play?
Player Type: Think of this as a specialization. Do you want a power hitter? Basestealer? TTO guy? Knuckleballer? Ultra fielder? All around? Random? I can do most things, and tweak things a bit toward whatever it is you want, but it’s still up to the fates whether it’ll pan out.
Other: Face preferences (beard, portrait), backstory, nation/city of origin, birthday, right or left handed, personality, there’s lots of things you can also adjust. Do it as you feel, or let it remain random, your call! I’ll do what I can to make it match.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Name: Jacque Moncrief
Nickname: The Tulip
Position: 2B
Player Type: Super duper fast slap hitter with no power. 5'5 125lbs. Has no arm on defense.
Other: Face is a dastardly mustache/thin beard combo. From Quebec City. Refuses to speak English.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doltos posted:

From Quebec City. Refuses to speak English.

This is hilarious to me because if it happened in real life so many people would lose their loving mind even though they don't care if players only speak Japanese.

I guess they kind of already do it with the Spanish players...hmph.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mangles gonna bunt his way to the majors.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Yikes. He really improved his speed, and he's fine as a first baseman. You picked the least useful defensive position...

You chose it!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

You chose it!

It was random because you asked for random! I had no part in it.

Also, I'm uploading the league files, and I accidentally included all the player records for all leagues... including, I think, some historical ones. After 2.5 hours it's only halfway complete :negative:. I'll... find a way to trim that down in the future.

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us
Name: Jan Aina
Nickname:
Position: Centerfield
Player Type: The contact hitter of all contact hitters. At the plate, he has every tool but power - he will never hit double-digit home runs in a season, but he'll get plenty of hustle doubles due to his running speed. Basically, everything a baseball traditionalist would want out of a leadoff guy.
Other: Personality type should be "overly intellectual" with a dash of "deadpan humor." Clean-shaven.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Inspector_666 posted:

This is hilarious to me because if it happened in real life so many people would lose their loving mind even though they don't care if players only speak Japanese.

I guess they kind of already do it with the Spanish players...hmph.

The best are the Japanese guys who don't learn English but pick up Spanish just to poo poo talk

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm going to go ahead and assume that the reason why OOTP 16 is on sale for %50 off right now from Steam is because they saw this thread and decided to capitalize on its success.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I finally got the drat player pages working. Feel free to poke around and check out how your favorite team/player has done too. Most info should be there, but some player pictures are missing, as might be some other information. That'll fill in with time.

One nice thing - even as you jump around, your ID will stay the same, so the links will remain good. I'll add them to the OP so you can check at any time.

Here's the MLB League Page

Player Pages

Glorious "Communist" Bear

Chuck "Lawdog" Johnson

Monicro "The Wall" James

Roll "Alibi" Fizzlebeef

Cash Considerations

Orkun "Turkish Delight" Sahin

R.D. Mangles

Black "Little" Sambo

New "Big Ern" Concept

Dick Trickle

Ammat "The Ankh" O'Goku

Krusty "C" Unts

Art "The Chucker" Vandelay

Richard "Tiger Blood" Vaughn II

Jia-Jung_Lin 'Junkyard' Squires Jr.

Harry Callahan

Mike "Big Burrito" Bukowski

Bill Hrenchuk

Sam "Plunderin'" Booty

Raúl "Stud" Ordóñez

Sud "Allan" Belig

Moosejaw "Hockles" Hockles

Zak Harov

Jim "Slaps" Power

YOST "GRIT" BOT

Föstólfur "Iceberg" Eyjafjallajökull

Gretchen "Gretchen 'Gretchen Gretchen' Gretchen" Gretchen

Seth Iroth

Cupid "Bill" Titcomb

Joey Guns

Leonard "Captain Cold" Snart

Simon "Little Time Sim Sam" MacGregor

Average Kilza

Rick "Hard" Hardslab

Nelson "Big Daddy V" Frazier

Andrei Smirnov

M. "Dictator" Bison

Carlton "Pickles" Barlton

The following players will work once I upload again, so be patient on them:

Ricky "Tricky" Steves

Ex Odor

Jackson "Sweetfeet" McGee

Jacque "The Tulip" Moncrief

Jan Aina

If you guys find anything interesting or cool that I missed, please feel free to post it!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 7, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, anyone wanting to be added has until tomorrow afternoon/evening to do so (CST), as I won't add the last goons until then.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Yost Bot having a high greed is great

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Please throw me into the next draft?

Name: Marvelous Trent
Nickname:
Position: Center Field
Player Type: Switch Hitting Matt Kemp
Other: African American portrait, please

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Joey Guns was in high school at age 20? Somehow that doesn't seem sufficiently nerdy.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Dick Trickle is Very High on the greed scale. He's just chasing paychecks and pussy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Harry doesn't bunt :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
You know, for Smirnov Ice's first professional season, a .240/.291/.400 line in AAA is pretty drat good.

Also his potential contact rating is nice. Needs to start striking out less, though.

• Locked thread