Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Simon went to Boston Latin? Neat. Though his Low Intelligence is kind of worrying, taking his school into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Does this show Overall Potential anywhere? All I can see is individual ones for my pitches/movement/etc

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Monicro posted:

Does this show Overall Potential anywhere? All I can see is individual ones for my pitches/movement/etc

Yeah that's the one thing about the player pages, they don't show your overall rating (or potential). I'll be sure to show you when I sim, but it's still nice to have your full history, stats, and category breakdown for reference.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Aside from having his name spelled as Rusty in the sim, Krusty "C" Unts is off to a pretty decent start. At least he's developed beyond 20 and is in the World Series Championship winning Cubs organization

canadianclassic fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 8, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

canadianclassic posted:

Aside from having his name spelled as Rusty in the sim, Krusty "C" Unts is off to a pretty decent start. At least he's developed beyond 20 and is in the World Series Championship winning Cubs organization

Oops, I'll fix that. And congrats! Do minor leaguers get rings or some commemorative thing?

And yeah, one thing to look for is not just development but how they're doing in the minors. They'll generally get promoted once they start putting up great numbers in the minors, then they'll take a bit to catch up at each level. Truly great prospects keep readjusting and earning another promotion. That said, plenty of guys struggle for a while in the minors before clicking and suddenly becoming good. Look for your guys to put up good OPS+ stats in the minors - 100 is that league's average, so they should be well above it before they move up a level.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My dude loving sucks.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

Oops, I'll fix that. And congrats! Do minor leaguers get rings or some commemorative thing?

And yeah, one thing to look for is not just development but how they're doing in the minors. They'll generally get promoted once they start putting up great numbers in the minors, then they'll take a bit to catch up at each level. Truly great prospects keep readjusting and earning another promotion. That said, plenty of guys struggle for a while in the minors before clicking and suddenly becoming good. Look for your guys to put up good OPS+ stats in the minors - 100 is that league's average, so they should be well above it before they move up a level.

Thanks! No idea about them getting any kind of prize, but I'm going to take full credit for it anyway.

Yep my guy is currently kicking some low-level rear end in "A" ball with a 135 OPS+

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
small sample size, but I'm happy with the .82 WHIP. Also thought the forkball and splitter were essentially the same pitch, with the splitter having a but more velocity. Any idea why the splitter's average and the forkball's sexy?

http://74.122.196.130/~chrismac/beapro/html/players/player_38425.html

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thisusedyet posted:

small sample size, but I'm happy with the .82 WHIP. Also thought the forkball and splitter were essentially the same pitch, with the splitter having a but more velocity. Any idea why the splitter's average and the forkball's sexy?

http://74.122.196.130/~chrismac/beapro/html/players/player_38425.html

OOTP does weird poo poo with pitch selection, and a lot of the time it makes no sense or would be a crappy combination in real life. They way pitch selection works is:

1. Raw number of pitches
-Hitters gradually learn how to hit different pitch types, and if your player only throws 1-2 types of pitches, they'll really quickly find a way to hit off them. A reliever (especially a closer) can get away with just two pitches, but starters need at least three, preferably four. (Knuckleballers are special in that they only really need one pitch) More is always good but I've never seen more than 5 or 6.
2. Pitch Quality
-Once you have 3+ pitches, it just goes on pitch quality. Higher rated pitches are just... better. I don't really know what that means given that movement, control, and velocity should in theory capture everything else that a pitch would have. Maybe it's consistency? Either way, you're more likely to give up hits on your worse rated pitches.
3. That's it. Doesn't matter what the combo is. Aside from knuckleballers, you just need 3+ pitches to be a starter, or 2 really good ones to be a reliever.

So in Squire Jr's case, he will probably throw his fastball, forkball, and slider the most, going with changeup or splitter on waste pitches or to throw hitters off from time to time.

EDIT: And ERA+ works just like OPS+. So for your dude to be above average relative to his current level, he needs to have an ERA+ above 100.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Oh noe, Carlton Barlton got released by the Doyers. At least he picked up a cool quarter million signing bonus in the process.

What does the game do with 18 year olds that get cut? College? Independent ball?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

R.D. Mangles posted:

My dude loving sucks.

My two dudes occupy the two bottom spots out of everyone.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

My dude loving sucks.

He's doing a lot better than mine, for what it's worth

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WienerDog posted:

Oh noe, Carlton Barlton got released by the Doyers. At least he picked up a cool quarter million signing bonus in the process.

What does the game do with 18 year olds that get cut? College? Independent ball?

Woh, what the hell? I have no idea why the Dodgers released him, there's definitely far worse players in their system than Barlton. Don't be shocked if he ends up signed by another organization, or invited to Spring Training by some others. But yeah at least he got a nice bonus to help him pay the bills.

And I'm sorry to all of you whose players are sucking, but don't lose hope. Remember that OOTP's default scout blows, and there's a strong possibility that your actual ratings are higher than what's indicated. Teams have better scouts than OOTP, so as long as you're in their system, they still value you.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Can I add a second guy if it's kosher/not too late?

Name: Pitch-O-Mat 5000
Nickname: Howitzer
Position: Starting Pitcher
Player Type: Power Pitcher with 4-Seam, Cutter, Sinker, and some sort of huge dropping breaking ball (Or whatever you can do to make sure that he throws some serious heat with something off-speed if possible)

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 8, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Can I add a second guy if it's kosher/not too late?

Name: Pitch-O-Mat 5000
Nickname: Howitzer
Position: Starting Pitcher
Player Type: Power Pitcher with 4-Seam, Cutter, Sinker, and some sort of huge dropping breaking ball (Or whatever you can do to make sure that he throws some serious heat with something off-speed if possible)

Only one at a time! Though I also notice that Doltos snuck in a second player, shame on you Doltos!

Simming the last important draft now! (assuming everyone signs)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
:argh: Doltos for making me think I can do bad things!

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Oh, OOTS who won't you move from SS to 3B for no particular reason?

On the plus side, still a top 10 prospect and a millionaire!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doltos posted:

My two dudes occupy the two bottom spots out of everyone.

That's what you get for trying to cheat the system

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

PLAYER HISTORY posted:

06/06/2016 Drafted in the 2016 first-year player draft (Round 1, Pick 3, 3rd overall pick) by the Houston Astros, out of college (USC; Los Angeles, CA).
04/02/2017 Named the #3 prospect in the MLB
04/01/2018 Named the #1 prospect in the MLB

@hockles10 2s
HOCKLES BASEBALL GOOD
#ASTROS #APPALACHIA #BANJOS #HASHTAG

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2018 Season

The 2018 Season is under way, and we will draft the last batch of goons this year. They bring our goon total up to 43. Will you all make the majors? How many will be all-stars or win league awards? And will any of you make the hall of fame?

First, you need to get out of the God drat minors.

Some of you make the news before the draft:

And by "some of you", I meant Krusty "C" Unts, who showed up three times on my special goon news feed. That's because Krusty won two player of the week awards and the player of the month award for May in the Carolina League. That's how you get promoted!

2018 Amateur Draft

Rick Hardslab is back, and makes the top 10 again. Will he finally sign?

1.1 SS Jackson McGee - Memphis Blue Suede Shoes
1.2 SP Rick Hardslab - Arizona Diamondbacks
2.1 C Leonard Snart - Arizona Diamondbacks
2.19 CF Jan Aina - Colorado Rockies (oh come on)
3.21 2B Ex Odor - Miami Marlins
6.28 1B Tricky "Ricky" Steves - New York Yankees

Jackson McGee shocks everyone with a first round pick, only our second ever. Hardslab is again drafted second overall, this time by the D-Backs. Now the question is whether he will sign or not.

Snart apparently knew what he was doing last year, failing to sign in the 5th round (6th pick). This year he shot up to the second round. That's going to be a massive difference in signing bonus, from something like 250,000 into the millions. Also Rockies why the gently caress do you keep drafting dudes with no power?

Every one else finds a decent pick, no lower than the sixth, so we go on to signings.

2018 Amateur Draft Results and Signing

1.1 SS Jackson McGee - Memphis Blue Suede Shoes DID NOT SIGN!?
1.2 SP Rick Hardslab - Arizona Diamondbacks Signed $7,560,000
2.1 C Leonard Snart - Arizona Diamondbacks Signed $750,000
2.19 CF Jan Aina - Colorado Rockies Signed $470,000
3.21 2B Ex Odor - Miami Marlins DID NOT SIGN!
6.28 1B Tricky "Ricky" Steves - New York Yankees Signed $3,000,000

:eyepop: Number 1 draft pick Jackson "Sweetfeet" McGee fails to sign with Memphis. Is Sweetfeet too greedy for a new small market team like Memphis? Was Memphis being cheap? Did they ever intend on making a big signing? It's hard to say, but it's huge news for the MLB, and it means Jackson will have to wait one more year before trying again.

Ex Odor also doesn't sign. Not sure why, maybe he thinks he can do better next year. He'll join Sweetfeet as the last undrafted goon in 2019.

Hardslab gets by far the best contract, not unusual for a second overall pick. He joins four other goons to make up a total of five in the Arizona organization, the most of any team.

Tricky Steves also wins the award for best negotiator. Despite being drafted in the sixth round, he got a signing bonus of 3 million dollars. This is 6 times what Jan Aina got, despite being a second round pick, and well over Snart's 750,000 for being the first pick of the second round. :homebrew:

Some player news while the season runs on. I might stop doing this eventually, as once you guys all start to turn on, there'll be a constant stream of news.

Andrei Smirnov hits a cycle! :toot:

Harry Callahan gets player of the week :)

Zak Harov has a new home. He was traded for Baltimore's top prospect, and will now join the Orioles organization.

Also, Carlton Barlton, don't fret. I checked up on you, and not even two weeks after the Dodgers cast you aside, you got a 1 year contract with the rangers! You're basically back in, just without a signing bonus, and slightly weaker job security. We'll see how it goes.

2018 All-Star Game

The familiar faces are shrinking, as guys like Jose Berrios and Buck Farmer make the All-Star game. At least Trout is finally back in.

Cash Money is now an Ed Sock, whatever that is.

"I am not a poo poo player!" screams R.D. Mangles at his subconscious, as he smacks 5 hits in one game.

New Concept and Black Sambo earn player of the week honors! :unsmith:

In bad news, Vaughn III suffers a torn labrum, missing four months but more importantly, putting his development in danger :negative:

Jan Aina seems to be angry about his .170 batting average, and took it out on the umps, missing 3 games due to a suspension. :argh:

Lastly, Average Kilza joins the Royals organization

2018 Regular Season Standings

The A's still haven't lost since we started simming, and the Indians, Red Sox, Cubs, and Braves win their division, again.

The big surprise is the NL West, where the Rockies stumbled into first place with only 85 wins. They're led by Troy Tulowitzki, who has been abnormally healthy, but for some reason he's not in the starting lineup despite being 79/80 rated and leading the league in HR's and RBI's last year. Instead, Justin "90 OPS+" Twine is starting at shortstop.

2018 Playoffs

*yawn*, old news now that they've won once. The Cubs win another World Series, again over the Red Sox. Bogaerts survives this time and wins Division and ALCS MVP, but it's not enough in the WS.

The A's continue their run of playoff failure despite winning their fourth consecutive division title, despite the efforts of superstar Brett Lawrie.

2018 MLB Awards
AL MVP: Mike Trout (finally)
NL MVP: David Dahl (A Rockie who didn't hit home runs? but .357 average and 222 hits :wow:)
NL Cy Young: Alex Wood
AL Cy Young: Craig Kimbrel

Kimbrel wasn't that great but it was a bad year for pitching, so his award is at least somewhat justified. Familiar faces are still dominating, but for how long?

It's at this point, that I notice something important:

:siren: :siren: CHUCK JOHNSON MADE IT TO THE MAJORS :siren: :siren: Not only that He made an appearance in the playoffs too! This makes Johnson the first goon to be promoted to the majors and actually play, and first to make a playoff appearance! Sure, it was only subbing in at first and he swung and flew out on his first and only pitch, but it's something!

His only shame is that he had 21 plate appearances with the Rockies and hit no dingers :mad:

2018 Retirements

A couple big retirements this year. Joey Bats himself retires after a long and illustrious career smacking dingers and being unparalleled at bat flips. Chris Colabello retires, but in this universe he had no breakout 2015, and only played two seasons in the majors. Koji Uehara also retires after a fantastic career as an elite closer, with the other players listed being no one of note.

2018 Hall of Fame Results

Roger Clemens makes it into the hall of fame in his 7th year on his baseball merits, suffering the 7 year penalty for being a douchebag. Our lord Barry Bonds creeps ever closer to induction, with no more than half a dozen old farts needing to die in order to see him justly rewarded for his baseball excellence.

Appearing for the first time are legendary closer Mariano Rivera, Rockies stud Todd Helton, and Roy Halladay. Mariano Rivera will get in eventually, and so will Todd Helton in all likelihood, but we'll see if Halladay or anyone below him will get in (including Vlad Guerrero or Curt Schilling)

Edgar Martinez and Fred McGriff loyalists fight their final battle, preserving the players on the ballot the full 10 years, only to see them drop. Also Barry Zito, one of the greatest men but lovely baseballer when not on the A's, briefly appears and disappears.

Sadly, we also suffer our first goon retirement. Orkun Sahin just couldn't get his poo poo together, and was released earlier in the season by the Cincinatti Reds. No one would take him, and frustrated by this, he retired in 2018, only 3 years after he began. He never saw play above the rookie leagues, seeing only 8 plate appearance in the process.

He's now going back to his job as a healthcare professional in Southern California.

:rip: Here lies Orkun Sahin, he never scored (a run).

2018 Offseason Goon Status

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 8, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
25 years old in A ball and I just got traded again. And my potential dropped about 20 points. WHY CAN'T I BE A STAR

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

JosefStalinator posted:

HOCKLES MISSING AGAIN. WHY GAME HATE HOCKLES!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Hockles posted:

Consistently Forgettable Bros unite :respek:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Art is still in rookie league

ART'S GETTIN UPSET!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Oh man, I think that's a Jim Power out of the Rookie Leagues, if my eyes aren't lying to me.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Monicro posted:

Consistently Forgettable Bros unite :respek:

It's all of the pitchers, none of us got mentioned =(

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Sweet, I'm in the majors, apparently. Good to see all my Goon bros in the Arizona system.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yaya posted:

It's all of the pitchers, none of us got mentioned =(

You'll get there! You guys will get in the news more as you move up the development ladder. Right now the 2015 rookie goons are starting to dominate the minors, and are getting all the attention.

My super special goon only news feed:

Hockles posted:

SO APPARENTLY THE SHORTLIST HAS A LIMIT OF 33 PLAYERS. I WILL RECTIFY THIS SHORTLY. PRAISE HOCKLES.

zakharov posted:

25 years old in A ball and I just got traded again. And my potential dropped about 20 points. WHY CAN'T I BE A STAR

You're just good enough to be the extra oomph to any trade. I hope you end up briefly in every organization.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Sweet, I'm in the majors, apparently. Good to see all my Goon bros in the Arizona system.

You're one of those late season call up but don't play deals. But given that your overall rating is above 20 you may soon be a backup catcher to further your development.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

My potential slipped from average to below average. Not a good sign for my average career.

Getting traded to the Royals means I'm now a part of my in-game hometown team's organization. I guess that's good? I guess my fictional friends and family (hopefully) get to see me be okay at baseball?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Wow Krusty is on fire. Too bad he's still at a 23/73 development/potential. At least he's performing well and still part of the powerhouse cubs! Next year is The Year

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

JosefStalinator posted:

SO APPARENTLY THE SHORTLIST HAS A LIMIT OF 33 PLAYERS. I WILL RECTIFY THIS SHORTLY. PRAISE HOCKLES.

THANK YOU. HOCKLES SUFFER FROM VOICE IMMODULATION SIMILAR TO THIS MAN

https://screen.yahoo.com/weekend-jacob-silj-000000612.html

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm missing someone, but OOTP flipped out because my goon shortlist was too long and made some of you disappear. Let me know which one of you is the missing one and I'll re add you ASAP.

Also, I noticed something:

Mike "Big Burrito" Bukowski

You may remember Mike "20 potential" Bukowski, who only knew how to throw one pitch - a fastball down the middle. I told him it was a bad idea, and so did his coaches, because he suddenly developed a second pitch. I had absolutely nothing to do with this, it was entirely his own doing. Since his fastball was great to begin with, he's developed a good sinker, and may yet turn into a great if not elite closer!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 8, 2015

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

W e l p

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I don't know whats happening, but for some reason Monicro just can't get his control together. It's down to 28/28, but his stats have been okay so far. He may end up a relief pitcher instead of a starter, where his control won't screw him quite as much. It's just a shame because he has such a sexy pitching arsenal (5 pitches of 75+!). I still think that alone will lead him to the majors.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
How did Smirnov lose 47 points of potential over the course of one season? He's getting thrown in a gulag for this!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mentholmoose posted:

How did Smirnov lose 47 points of potential over the course of one season? He's getting thrown in a gulag for this!

Who knows. I've seen people's ratings swing 30+ points in one season, and I've even opened up the game only to have them rescouted down 10 points or so.

Don't stress too much about ratings, stats are what matters, as they're a better indicator of actual skill. The main problem is that as yet you don't have sufficient sample sizes for any of your players, and are slave to the ratings. Just don't lose hope.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was on an MLB roster! I did it!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

He's an elite defender with no power!

KEEP HIM AT FIRST BASE

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
My potential has dropped from 75 to 26 :cool:

just

real

life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fostelfur has an ice icon, that must mean he's a cold killer with the bat, right

• Locked thread