Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Episode list and status here first, then the proper OP. Once this thread's been active for a few months, I imagine y'all will be tired of having to scroll past it!
Latest: The start of session 8 (Shrine of Amana & Undead Crypt)!

Session 1 (Part 1 below, Part 2)
01 - Things Betwixt, 02 - Forest of Fallen Giants 1, 03 - Forest of Fallen Giants 2, 04 - Forest of Fallen Giants 3
Bonus: NPC Dialogue 1

Session 2
05 - Heide's Tower of Flame, 06 - No Man's Wharf 1, 07 - No Man's Wharf 2, 08 - Cathedral of Blue

Session 3
09 - Lost Bastille 1, 10 - Lost Bastille 2, 11 - Sinner's Rise, 12 - Belfry Luna
Bonus: NPC Dialogue 2, Cut Content Bonus 1

Session 4
13 - Huntsman's Copse, 14 - Undead Purgatory, 15 - Harvest Valley 1, 16 - Harvest Valley 2,
17 - Earthen Peak, 18 - Iron Keep 1, 19 - Belfry Sol, 20 - Iron Keep 2,
Bonus: NPC Dialogue 3

Session 5
21 - Grave of Saints, 22 - The Gutter 1, 23 - The Gutter 2, 24 - Black Gulch

Session 6
25 - Shaded Woods, 26 - Shaded Ruins, 27 - Doors of Pharros,
28 - Brightstone Cove Tseldora 1, 29 - Tseldora 2, 30 - Tseldora 3

Session 7
31 - Drangleic Castle 1, 32 - Drangleic Castle 2, 33 - King's Passage
Bonus: The Road to Drangleic (glitches & extras), (New! :siren: ) Bonus: NPC Dialogue 4

Session 8
34 - Shrine of Amana 1, 35 - Shrine of Amana 2, (New! :siren: ) 36 - Shrine of Amana 3, 37 - Undead Crypt 1

Current Status: Mog's beaten the game and I'm fairly close to it!

Wayne fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

What's this, another DS2 LP? Yes! The game has been covered pretty well here on SA, but the two completed LPs were for the original game. In April 2015, a little over a year from when DS2 launched, From released Scholar of the First Sin, a remake/re-imagining/rehash. Rather than an expansion pack, it's treated as a separate game, meaning players can't co-op between the two versions [among other things].

Angrymog (Scholar) and I (unpatched DS2) will be playing through both versions of the game at the same time. I then edit our footage into episodes that use transitions to switch who's playing, to show off as many differences between the two games (as well as alternate content and playstyle and the like) as possible. We can't guarantee a 100% run, but we're going to be pretty darn thorough.

What's the game?

Dark Souls 2! Released in March 2014, it's the sequel [sort of] to the infamous Dark Souls, LPed here a couple times as well. It combines a lot of elements from DS1, as well as spiritual predecessor Demon's Souls, such as dividing the game into stages you warp to and requiring you to talk to an NPC to level up.

SotFS has the same levels and bosses, but a lot of the enemies and items are shuffled around. Sometimes this makes early areas easier, but for the most part it makes encounters trickier and tries to screw with those who played the base game. The biggest difference for this LP is that Scholar has the latest patches and "calibrations," while I'm playing the game completely as it was at launch. Nearly every item has been tweaked at some point during the game's life cycle, so we want to show that off too.

And of course, it's really hard. As a bonus, when you're playing offline (which I will be to avoid having to patch the game), a monument will tell you how many times you've died. I'll offer a free forums upgrade/cheapo Steam game to the person who guesses closest using Price is Right rules, deadline... let's say after our second session is uploaded (two updates after this one), so you can get an idea of how bad I am. :sweatdrop:

How can I get involved?

Well, you can try to kill us! In-game, that is. Heh. I don't know how game Mog is for PvP, but even though I'm covering the original game, I'm levelling up a SotFS character parallel to Mog's for any co-op we might want to show off (like the DLC). There're 3 dedicated PvP covenants that might be fun to show off too. We'll give advance notice before recording if you want in (and possibly stream them too, since we both do that).

You can also vote on what we do. For the first 50/60% or so of the game, you have to kill four "Old Ones" in order to reach the second half of the game. We'll be doing those in the order you vote on. As one NPC enigmatically describes them, tell us which sounds like the one we should go after first....

1. They thought that imprisoning the Undead would solve the problem. They created a towering bastille to contain them, but in the end, it did no good. The Lost Sinner lives deep within the bastille. The fool. Trying to light the First Flame…
2. The human ego…How many ugly iron castles has it erected? And they don't even see the folly of their ways. But that's what makes watching humankind so delightful. It reminds me of someone who lived long ago. A vainglorious liar who ended up hurling himself into the flames. Now he's Ichorous Earth, if I'm not mistaken.
3. You've seen that gaping hole here? Who you seek is even further below. And has been down there for a very, very long time. He's plumb Rotten by now, I'm sure! Hee hee hee…
4. Oh, it's like that awful traitor long ago. He coveted what he did not have, and it drove him mad. What a curious conundrum. Hee hee hee… The Writhing Ruin keeps searching as we speak. Searching for its heart's desire.

Finally, while Mog has a build in mind, I'm going "omni-stats" to show off as much stuff as possible. At the end of each session (so, starting with the next update), I'll list the stuff I can use, and let you vote on what you really want to see (armor, weapons, and spells). You can be specific if you really want to see something, or do something like "heavy armor" or "biggest :black101: you have" or whatnot.

So, two goons means 2 YouTube channels, who's uploading?

Both of us, actually! We'll be uploading our sessions 2 episodes at a time (sometimes 3 if there's a bonus, like this first batch), one on Mog's and one on mine. We use annotations and description links to connect to each video. Of course, if you're reading this, you can just go the next link in the OP....

Since we are doing 2 videos at a time (or about an hour of content per update), we won't be updating as frequently, maybe once or twice a week.

---

OK, I think that's everything. With no further ado, the first two three episodes!
01, Things Betwixt
02, Forest of Fallen Giants 1
Bonus: NPC Dialogue 1
Edit: I mentioned this in the Sandcastle and video description, but forgot to here: in this videos (and part of #3), I was looking at my local video of the Hitbox stream we were using for commentary, hence some of my notes being a couple seconds early. :doh:

Update Status: This is an edit since I missed that Mog levelled Madrani to 5 in video 2, getting some ADP and enough STR to use the handaxe.

Wayne fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 7, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm planning to use hexes and pyro as I usually get bored of my attempts at magic runs. My only other gameplay goal is to not use weapons that use the DS1 straight sword move set or great bows as those are the weapon types that I naturally gravitate towards.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
The icons with the red border indicate that perma-running/-blocking/-etc. has been toggled on. I assume, it's from entering the character's name via keyboard and striking a key, with this function bound to it. You can deactivate it by looking up the function in the settings dialog and pressing the respective key in again, even if you are playing with a controller. This one had me stumped as well and it was annoying and dangerous, as my character was stuck in perma-run mode, which made navigating bottomless pits in Things Betwix very tricky.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Interesting. I guess it was auto-block, but I didn't actually notice the character behaving an differently.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Angrymog posted:

Interesting. I guess it was auto-block, but I didn't actually notice the character behaving an differently.

You are actually visibly blocking, both with your torch and when you two-hand the dagger. Those toggles are overridden by any action, which is incompatible with them, like in the case of perma-blocking, running or having an empty left hand.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...
If Angrymog gets invaded and killed by One Punch Man, I apologize in advance. Sort of.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Angrymog posted:

I'm planning to use hexes and pyro as I usually get bored of my attempts at magic runs. My only other gameplay goal is to not use weapons that use the DS1 straight sword move set or great bows as those are the weapon types that I naturally gravitate towards.

Some minor gameplay advice: Stuff in the DLC areas is resistant as hell to everything but pure physical damage.

Also: Curved swords. Do it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Buried alive posted:

Some minor gameplay advice: Stuff in the DLC areas is resistant as hell to everything but pure physical damage.

That said, it's still doable without too much tedium at least in the first DLC, haven't played the other two with a caster. I would still advise against it. It makes things harder in away that isn't fun and I don't know what the hell From are thinking to make magic weaker in all Souls Game DLCs.

Wayne's probably got a story to tell about that, seeing as he helped me through the co-op areas of the DLCs when I LP'd the game and he likes to play casters.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 5, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Buried alive posted:

I know that, but we're not covering the DLC as part of this as Wayne won't have it in his install and from what I've seen on my own playthrough it's unchanged between Scholar and its original release. (Or it's changed so little that I didn't notice.

quote:

Also: Curved swords. Do it.
That's a plan. I was going Strength, but can change. I'm pondering making a quick off-camera dive into sunken king when it opens so that I can get the whip sword.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

I know that, but we're not covering the DLC as part of this as Wayne won't have it in his install and from what I've seen on my own playthrough it's unchanged between Scholar and its original release. (Or it's changed so little that I didn't notice.

It's unchanged. Not that I know from experience, but From outright said they weren't changing anything in the DLC areas prior to SotFS's release.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Aight so I'll right out and say that maybe you guys need to cut eachother off sometimes if something new is happening, but otherwise oh my god thank you.
I've been looking so hard for something like this, and the only other series I've seen that's even close to this idea talks about all the lighting and graphics poo poo I don't care about and is only like 3 areas into the game. I'll be examining this.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

From what I recall from my own experience, I'd agree that the DLC areas themselves are either completely unchanged or are so close to unchanged that they might as well be.

However, the way you obtain the keys to the DLC areas out in the main game is different. In vanilla DS2 with DLCs purchased, the keys just land in your inventory when either a. you load an existing character after purchasing the DLC or b. you finish the character creation process on a new character. In SotFS DS2 where the DLC areas are a baked-in part of the entire purchase, the keys are actually placed out in the world and have to be found first.

I'd also be in favor of you showing off the DLC anyway, even if it's only one of you doing so.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Rendering the next two now, should be able to post some time tomorrow. Just a reminder to you folks that you can vote on which route we go first, and if nobody really cares about that Mog and I will hash it out. I'm usually torn between Bastille and Iron Keep; the former has the easy dungeons and hard bosses, and the opposite for the latter. And of course if y'all like #4 I'll have to show off a Fragrant Branch run.

Plankalkuel posted:

The icons with the red border indicate that perma-running/-blocking/-etc. has been toggled on. I assume, it's from entering the character's name via keyboard and striking a key, with this function bound to it.

That's really interesting, thanks! According to Reddit the keybind is 'm', which of course Mog hit typing her character's name in. Oddly enough it went away after her first death, I imagine it's so if auto-blocking got you killed it wouldn't happen again or something. :v:

Buried alive posted:

IGgy IGsen posted:

Wayne's probably got a story to tell about that, seeing as he helped me through the co-op areas of the DLCs when I LP'd the game and he likes to play casters.

:negative:
My brother and I are streaming DS2 on our regular nights and we just got to Shulva. I think he's up to 3 "Why does everything resist everything?!"s by now. And following up on what Vil said, we announced in the stream thread we were going to do it, then realized you didn't start with the keys like in DS2 proper. :doh: I totally forgot about where you have to go for the Iron Key, had to look that one up, heh.

As for this thread, we'll see about the DLC. I'm game for it [now, anyway], and it might be fun to do it co-op as bonus videos or something (since I have a SotFS Khafet anyway do bonus content with), but this is going to be a long LP as it is, heh.

Steak Eater posted:

Aight so I'll right out and say that maybe you guys need to cut eachother off sometimes if something new is happening, but otherwise oh my god thank you.

Ha ha, you're welcome! And yeah, Mog and I are 'net friends but this is only the third time we've done co-commentary, so there's still some awkward moments like interrupting each other, or a couple times when one of us pauses for the other and we don't catch it. But yeah, we'll definitely try to focus on the stuff that's changed when it pops up. We recorded the next session (and any votes on loadout I get will start being applied to the one after that) and they change a lot of stuff in Heide's, so that'll help us focus when we do our commentary.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Please stop ending every sentence with a nervous laugh. It's every sentence. Every time.

v-- Woah, that's an incredibly good point.

George fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 6, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

George posted:

Please stop ending every sentence with a nervous laugh. It's every sentence. Every time.

That's the Dark Souls way.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah. I figured it was intentional. Please don't stop.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

George posted:

You mean the "hehs" in my posts, or the laughing in the video (or both :sweatdrop: )? Either way, it's just a tic that regardless of what I said, I'm not really too serious about it. I try to be a jocular and positive person in real life, and sometimes it's hard to tone that down in commentary (still wince when I see the waveforms of a laugh when I forgot to lean away from the mic, ugh). And if you meant the former, I actually started doing that because I found myself using emoticons all the time and that was starting to get annoying, heh.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah. I figured it was intentional. Please don't stop.

:glomp:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Miketopus posted:

If Angrymog gets invaded and killed by One Punch Man, I apologize in advance. Sort of.

Did you do that gag back in Dark Souls 1 as well?

... just curious.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Here we go, wrapping up session 1. This is when you can start voting on the loadout if you feel inclined, and I'll start factoring it in for session 3. We'll be recording that this weekend or a few days after that probably, so there's still plenty of time for that and deciding where we go first.

03, Forest of Fallen Giants 2
Madrani goes from LV 5 to 14 here, getting enough points to use the mace op. Khafet adds 5 levels from his starting 11, all in STR.
04, Forest of Fallen Giants 3
Mog gets plenty of souls from off-screen (but referenced) Phantoming, going to 34. Some Dex, and then she starts pumping ADP. I don't catch that during the editing process (I need to mark level-ups so I don't have to track them down later), next session we'll talk about Agility and i-frames and whether you prioritize it or not. Khafet goes to 23, most of it going to VGR.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The next set of videos will be Heide's tower of Flame and No Man's Wharf. After that we'd like you to vote on which Great Soul we go for first.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Enjoying the Let's Play so far. Then again when you don't have to play Dark Souls 2 it's always the better option. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You should totally do the Star Wars side-swipe edit, because it works really well for transitions between similar settings and it's also stylish as heck

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

death .cab for qt posted:

You should totally do the Star Wars side-swipe edit, because it works really well for transitions between similar settings and it's also stylish as heck

Deal. The next 2 videos will be up tomorrow or Friday night, I'll use that one. There are a bunch of switches we did where the dissolve is actually kind of distracting, so I was thinking about changing it anyway. Who knew that a transition where you have a flash of white and then a screen swirl and you see pretty much the exact same thing might be confusing? :v:

Zain posted:

Enjoying the Let's Play so far. Then again when you don't have to play Dark Souls 2 it's always the better option. :v:

:tipshat: And honestly, while I do still much prefer DS1, all this 2 (between this and Ben's and my stream I mentioned earlier) is starting to grow on me a bit. Did all the patches and stuff make DS2 more fun, or is it Stockholm Syndrome? We'll see!

And just a reminder that for the next recording session (this weekend or a little after probably), we really do want some input on which of the 4 areas we go to first. Mog and I both play D&D so we're more than capable of rolling 1d4 if it comes down to it, but thread involvement is always nice. :)

As for the other thing you can vote on, I'm up to 14 deaths, at about 10% through the game or so. If nobody's interested in the free upgrade/game that's certainly fine with me, heh, but if you are, the deadline will be in about a week (after the next two updates are posted). I'm also open to pushing the deadline back until after the first Old One or something if there's interest in the idea, but not if it ends too early.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Wayne posted:

Deal. The next 2 videos will be up tomorrow or Friday night, I'll use that one.

Actually the new transitions will start with the next session. I failed a nerd check and forgot there wasn't a "standard" "Star Wars wipe," it's the technique of doing fast wipes from a different direction each time. :pseudo:

And sorry about the delay, had a rendering issue where Mog's footage just plain looked worse than mine, like the bitrate was half what it actually was. It looks better now (with a combination of a Yadif plugin, change to color space, and remembering to turn off resampling), but still not as good as the original, whereas mine didn't get hurt much at all. Darndest thing.

05, Heide's Tower of Flame 1
About the only off-screen thing Madrani does is cash in her Pursuer souls, which go into finishing ADP at 20 (and yes, we forget to talk about Agility again :sweatdrop: ) and raise Int/Faith enough to talk to Felkin (which'll be in the next Talking Time video in session 3). Khafet goes to 36, pretty much all of it in casting stats, plus new armor (Royal Skirt armor) and weapons (:arghfist:).
06, No Man's Wharf 1
Mog spends her souls on 1 each Vigor and Endurance, then enough Attunement to start using magic. It really is frustrating that Pyromancy in DS2 is gated by either a couple bosses and a pretty tough early-game level in NMW, or literal dumpster-diving in the Gutter for the one that only works if you play the game hollow. Meanwhile, I go full Amway and clear out Gavlan's stock, being rewarded with an axe I'll probably never be able to use!!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is there anyone who wants to try and invade me in Belfry Luna? Let me know and we'll try to arrange a time to record.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Yeah, this is why there's only one update this week; we didn't have time to record until later in it.

I'm available for Belfry stuff tonight (instead of Ben's and my usual stream), tomorrow night after 9pm or in the afternoon, like 2-5pm, Saturday night (after 7), and either early or late Sunday. I'm in Central US time, Mog's naturally in GMT. :britain:

If you have a character early-ish in the game and want to join in, or powerlevel one real quick, check out the soul memory tier system. We're both starting the session in tier 13, after the Ruin Sentinels and new Pursuer and whatnot Mog will probably be in 15 or so. It's safer to be below us in SM than above, but you can shoot for tier 14 (240-270k SM) and that'll definitely work. Don't forget to set your Steam DL region to London (or if not, turn on cross-region play in-game) to have better odds of running into Madrani.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I was going to record tonight, but not really feeling it for various reasons. I will be recording Lost Bastille, Sinner's Rise and Belfy Luna on Sunday, starting at 14:00 GMT if anyone wants to try and invade.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hopefully you get some bites! I have a lot more fun watching other people PvP in this game than I do actually participating in it myself.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I would try, but I don't own SotFS and don't plan on purchasing it. Also I'm in NG+ and I have never started a second character because gently caress hunting down all those estus flask shards again.

And leveling ADP.

Edit: And my track record for successfully invading during a Souls LP so far is sitting right around 0%, despite my best efforts to find and kill Sir Geoffrey.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 18, 2015

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Vil posted:

Hopefully you get some bites! I have a lot more fun watching other people PvP in this game than I do actually participating in it myself.

Not this time, unfortunately. :( I did record some pubbie PvP (which I did terribly at, I'm guessing lag since I set my region to UK and I'm not actually there, heh), might toss that in if we have enough content to do some PvP bonus videos later. Hopefully when we get to Belfry Sol and/or Grave of Saints more goons will have time to get involved.

KieranWalker posted:

I would try, but I don't own SotFS and don't plan on purchasing it.

Yeah, can't blame you there, I almost never get DLC and such myself. In this case I actually got it gifted to me by a dude I ran into phantoming in DS1 (and then due to scheduling conflicts we've only played it once together :sweatdrop: ).

Do you have trouble doing co-op in general? Might be worth looking into port forwarding and all that stuff.

Anyway, sorry about the delay, holiday issues and timing and all that, we'll try to get things back on track moving forward. :) Here's the rest of session 2....

07, No Man's Wharf 2
Mog loses some souls at the trap where Gavlan used to be, but cashes in Flexile winnings to go from 46 to 49, in VIT to presumably enable further Fashion Souls down the line. Khafet goes from 39 to 45, with some VIT, and enough Int/Faith to use Dark Weapon.
08, Cathedral of Blue
Khafet goes to 50, with enough Str to two-hand the Greatsword and make some cyclops fillet. And Madrani, in a bid to beat me at my own "omni-stat" game, is the first to get all stats to 10, hitting 58 with enough Int/Faith to finally use Dark... Orb.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Wow, has it been a month already?! Sorry about that! :sweatdrop: We'll be back on track going forward, just a lot of stuff happened around the holiday period for both of us.

One thing that could help, though. Mog's done some LP stuff in the past, but this is my first rodeo (not counting two whole updates of Thi4f in late 2014), and it's safe to say the response has been pretty slow (though I guess it is a little impressive to find one thing goons don't actually want to vote on :v: ). So let me know what you like, what you don't; it's a lot of work to edit these episodes and some input would be great. One of the Youtubers, for example, mentioned the cuts were a little jarring and I'm working on that, and Steak should be pleased to note that Mog's been doing a good job of interrupting me to point out the version differences when I forget to. :shobon:

09, Lost Bastille 1
We did Lost Bastille in a different order (and it's awesome you can do that, about the only stage that works the way it does), so it's harder to give the soul breakdown. Post-Ruin Sentinels, Mog is at 64 (more Attunement and Vigor) and bought the Silvercat Ring, and Khafet is at 59. Soul Vessel use #1 was to be able to use Targray's halberd, so I redid my stats (Dex is at 20 and I only got my Int/Fth back up to 16/14 after that boss battle).

10, Lost Bastille 2
Madrani heads into Sinner's Rise next time at level 70, rounding out her stats some more (VIT at 11, pretty much everything else at least 13). All the Pursuers make for quite a bounty of souls.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

We'll need you to vote on which great soul we go for next. Wayne wants Old Iron King, I'm not particularly bothered.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well then, clearly the answer is down the pit :colbert:

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Old Iron King. I wanna see some enchantments on those weapons

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Go for the Iron Keep. It should be entertaining to watch Wayne running around on fire.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Looks like it's two for the keep.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

Go for the Iron Keep. It should be entertaining to watch Wayne running around on fire.

Perhaps taking a swim in it too? :getin:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Three for the keep, I'm recording today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Rerecorded myself.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 25, 2016

• Locked thread