Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

Sometimes I play beer pong at my friend's house and sometimes a few of them insist that we use water in the beer cups and just take a swig of beer every time instead, so as to avoid germs and dirt and hairs and whatever. First of all, that's what the goddamn water cup is for. Second of all, there's no way to make sure you're actually drinking the right amount. Third, stop being such a loving bitch jesus christ.

That could be cool as long as you have some rule like "you must finish your beer by every fourth ball-in-cup," like you said to make sure they are drinking the right amounr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
What kind of Millenial loving bullshit is it to be scared of germs while playing beer pong? That skank you're going to make out with later in the night has had more hairy balls in her mouth than you will during beer pong.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yeah these people werent that rich, he's done

That's what confused me about the case. The family are hardly the 1% kind of rich that isolates you from society. They're small town America rich. His dad couldn't even afford rehab for an extended period of time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

netally posted:

That's what confused me about the case. The family are hardly the 1% kind of rich that isolates you from society. They're small town America rich. His dad couldn't even afford rehab for an extended period of time.

Look anyone who does a crime and is above the poverty line is an example of the callousness of the ruling class. Kill em all viva la revolucion etc the world is so unfaiiiiiiir :qq:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

netally posted:

isolated from society rich puts you in the company of other rich people, particularly people richer than you. small town rich makes you the richest person you know so you might as well be royalty. small town rich is the worst kind of rich.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

netally posted:

What

The rehab they had him in was literally a luxury rehab and it cost $450,000 a year

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
nah i just have influenza

Estranged On The Range
Oct 18, 2015

Melmac posted:

What

The rehab they had him in was literally a luxury rehab and it cost $450,000 a year

They got it reduced all the way down to 13-15k a year. The american tax payer is paying for the rest :patriot:

Estranged On The Range fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 22, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

netally posted:

They paid off the judge that sentenced him. Is this that hard to understand?

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Acid Haze posted:

I've been diving into the history books guys, it turns out there's a cure!

I guess it was called the Reign of Terror? Weird French name for a medical treatment, but it got rid of that affluenza pretty good.

quote:

“He’s going to get his, period,” said defense attorney Jerry Loftin. “You can’t get away, you can’t hide, you can’t run. Maybe for a while, but they’ll find you. Period.”

Loftin says an adult criminal court judge will have more power to punish Couch, including revoking probation and sending Couch to prison. And Loftin expects a harsh punishment.

“The higher the profile the case the more likely the guillotine is dropping,” he said.

YEEEESS!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
We need to bring back public executions of the rich.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like how even his defense attorney is saying "yeah he's hosed"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Melmac posted:

What

Yeah no the kind of rich you usually associate with "too rich to go to jail" is way richer than these people were. They bought a nice lawyer and it worked once, but they cant buy their way out of this.

$450,000 a year would bankrupt the average multimillionaire in a very short amount of time, plus millions in settlements. This isn't the same as like someone with a hundred million dollars, or billions... which is often confused

naem
May 29, 2011

LegoPirateNinja posted:

isolated from society rich puts you in the company of other rich people, particularly people richer than you. small town rich makes you the richest person you know so you might as well be royalty. small town rich is the worst kind of rich.

:agreed:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

is this kid getting off jail something that some people agree with in america or is it basically across the board horseshit

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

bitmap posted:

is this kid getting off jail something that some people agree with in america or is it basically across the board horseshit

We have no right to jail the rich, theyy are our superiors they have proven that the system works

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol can we go back to how goons think an F150 is a rich dudes car?

because fuckin lmao

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
To be fair it was a "Harley Davidson Edition" trim level which is a pretty hefty markup from the base xl package.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
are there people who think this person isn't going to go directly to prison because lol

once your face is on a piece of paper that says 'WANTED BY US MARSHALS' you're pretty much hosed

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
yes OP, im stuck in a soul crushing cycle of ennui and narcissistic fantasy. AMA

naem
May 29, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol can we go back to how goons think an F150 is a rich dudes car?

because fuckin lmao

Actually you can write off the expense of a full size pickup truck if you file paperwork to own a business, so instead of paying that $60k in taxes it's like, free truck.

A lot of people in the "small town, couple million net worth" tax bracket file taxes as a "consultant" and own a (free) pickup with wood and leather interiors and lots of cup holders and like, gps luxury stuff etc

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Good news, they found Ethan Couch, he was apparently just vacationing in Puerto Vallarta.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/28/us/mexico-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-detained/

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Three Olives posted:

Good news, they found Ethan Couch, he was apparently just vacationing in Puerto Vallarta.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/28/us/mexico-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-detained/

Lmao I loving knew they'd try to hide out in a resort. But yeah I'm sure it's just a huge coincidence that he fled the country right after an incriminating video surfaced.

He's even dumber than I thought because he would've had a way easier time explaining away the video. But not checking in with his probie officer and leaving the country are automatic violations.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 29, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Watch him not get charged with anything lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Watch the DA not charge him with anything lol

He should use the George Costanza "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?" defense.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope he and his mother rot in prison and I hope the judge who let him off easy dies in shame.

My hatred is strong

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I bet this kid's name is actually Chip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B93BoC9ylg

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

I get invited to a lot of parties. Let me regale you with the precise details of how we play beer pong

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Exactly how much money do you need to run someone over with your car and not get jail time, asking for a friend.

It's not just about money, unless you've got hundreds of millions (or billions) of dollars.

You have to be white, in a state with elected judges, and relatively wealthy enough to be a threat to said elected judge come re-election time if he/she doesn't throw the case in your favor (bonus points if you're the wealthiest/one of the wealthiest families in a small town, since then you can also threaten to make the judge's life hell).

Bastard Tetris posted:

eh I went to high school with kids richer than him that went on to commit felonies who went to prison as a result

blame this on Texas' court system being corrupt and retarded as gently caress because Texas

Texas has elected judges, and their criminal justice system is a corrupt joke. Go figure.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

lets not exaggerate, it was an f150 that he was banging a passed out 14 year old in that they abandoned overnight. f150s are not rich people cars

Rural & small-town rich people show off their wealth through buying big trucks, especially in the South. The thought of buying an actual car doesn't even enter their minds, it's trucks trucks trucks.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

EngineerSean posted:

What kind of Millenial loving bullshit is it to be scared of germs while playing beer pong? That skank you're going to make out with later in the night has had more hairy balls in her mouth than you will during beer pong.

No lie an insanely hot girl at my college got bacterial meningitis from beer pong.

Also gently caress this gay earth for this kid getting off (by the judge being a corrupt joke). He better get the maximum sentence for bailing to Mexico.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 29, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Free Ethan Couch

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MeatwadIsGod posted:

No lie an insanely hot girl at my college got bacterial meningitis from beer pong.

Also gently caress this gay earth for this kid getting off (by the judge being a corrupt joke). He better get the maximum sentence for bailing to Mexico.

Lol whatever

Even if true (what no one else just her?) who cares. Meteorites hit people sometimes too.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
ha ha looks like they were on the lam in the remote, no-questions-asked pirate haven of... Puerto Vallarta

also what the gently caress is up with the dopes in this thread saying that these people weren't necessarily "kill people and not go to jail" rich

what facts of the case are you confused about

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
puerto vallarta is really nice actually

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

puerto vallarta is really nice actually

:thejoke:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Doc Block posted:

Rural & small-town rich people show off their wealth through buying big trucks, especially in the South. The thought of buying an actual car doesn't even enter their minds, it's trucks trucks trucks.

This is true. Also rich people aren't all Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, many wealthy people live surprisingly mundane lives of Fords and $500,000 houses just without the added burden of ever really worrying about money ever.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's Spanish for port vallarta

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

naem posted:

Actually you can write off the expense of a full size pickup truck if you file paperwork to own a business, so instead of paying that $60k in taxes it's like, free truck.

A lot of people in the "small town, couple million net worth" tax bracket file taxes as a "consultant" and own a (free) pickup with wood and leather interiors and lots of cup holders and like, gps luxury stuff etc

That's not what write-offs are. Write-off refers to the taxes, you write-off the taxes as a business expense. You still have to pay for the truck.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

This is true. Also rich people aren't all Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, many wealthy people live surprisingly mundane lives of Fords and $500,000 houses just without the added burden of ever really worrying about money ever.

Yeah, the richest person I know is almost this to a T. They also occasionally work the shittiest jobs to meet people that like to drink, even though they've never had to work a day in their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Melmac posted:

When finally found, they will claim they were both on vacation

• Locked thread