Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

So I've been putting up my/my band's albums up here on the forums for a few years now, and I've always appreciated hearing people's feedback and have generally received a good amount of support. I always feel self-conscious when I'm self promoting on the forums, but I hope people will check out our music, at least give a track or two a try, but the album is definitely meant to be listened to in full.

Over the past year, I've been working with my band to record our new album "Mystical Shitheads." I produced it with my friend, who was (and still is) in the process of putting together a really cool studio in his house. It was definitely a learning process for the both of us, but I can honestly say that I learned more about recording in the past year than I had in the previous 4. We tried to keep the album with a live feel as much as possible. The drums and bass were recorded live with practially no editing, and we did as much as possible to get "real" sounds as opposed to getting the sounds "in the box" (not to say that we didn't at all...). It wasn't really done that way in a puritanical mindset, moreso to push ourselves to learn more, but mostly because we felt that's what the material called for.

The album itself is really dark, the lyrical themes mostly revolve around depression, body horror, and mysticism. Of all the Rice Cultivation Society albums, it's definitely the heaviest and most rock (the very end of the album gets very sludgey), but still gets weird and spacey (particularly track 7).

I suggest listening to the full album, as that's how it's meant to be taken in, but a starting place to get an idea of the overall sound would be "Cait Sith's Megaphone," which our friend made a really wild video for.

You can hear the whole album here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I checked out Cait Sith's Megaphone and I liked it. Very solid work. I will check out the rest of the album.

Why is your band called Rice Cultivation Society?

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Just want to say that I really enjoyed sky burial, so when Bandcamp told me you guys released a new album I bought it immediately on my phone. I've just gotten to sit down and play it on my desktop and am about halfway through. I'm really enjoying it. Perfect music for the impending winter weather.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I checked out Cait Sith's Megaphone and I liked it. Very solid work. I will check out the rest of the album.

Why is your band called Rice Cultivation Society?

Thanks, and it comes from an old anthropological theory that societies which primarily rely on growing rice tend to be more collectivist in nature than ones that subsist on wheat. I started using it when I was playing/recording by myself, mostly ironically, until over the years the name was stuck and I had a full band.

a helpful bear posted:

Just want to say that I really enjoyed sky burial, so when Bandcamp told me you guys released a new album I bought it immediately on my phone. I've just gotten to sit down and play it on my desktop and am about halfway through. I'm really enjoying it. Perfect music for the impending winter weather.

Thanks, really appreciate you keeping up with our albums!

• Locked thread