Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hello everybody, I'm Jon Joe and this is first annual SA Mafia award ceremony. We've had a great year for mafia. That's not really true, there's been a lot of bad things that have happened and I haven't even paid attention to it in the past few months so for all I know you guys are just playing Shank 2 or something now. I hope you're all excited to take part in this groundbreaking event.

The prize we're all after is The Golden Hammer, also known as The Lylo. The Golden Hammer is just like any other prize awarded based on merit, except that it will probably boil down to popularity instead. We're not awarding it just yet though! You the reader get to vote for who gets the prize, but first we have to nominate some folks. Let's review the categories.

The first round of categories is for mafia games. For a game to be eligible it must be a complete, finished game that closed in December 2014 or later.

Game Of The Year - The top prize here. This means you think this was the best game in 2015, for whatever reason. This game represents the best of our community. It's not necessarily about creativity or flavour or even the moderator. This is just a game that went really well that you'd tell people about if you were asked about good mafia games here.
Most Innovative Game - Nominate games that make some good, well thought innovations. This category honours new mechanics that haven't been used before or have been updated in a new and original way.
Best Flavour - For some people, mafia is just an excuse to write fanfiction. Who did this the best?
Weirdest Game - Not all games are trying to push forward with new and innovative mechanics, some games are just weird. What was the weirdest or the most creative.
Biggest Heartbreaker - Noble moderators work their hearts out for the terrible underclass of rabble known as Mafia players. Some games looked very promising but could not survive contact with the playerbase. How sad.

This next round of categories is for Moderators. These people get to double dip from the previous round of categories, the bastards.

Biggest Bastard - Sometimes mods make big lies, who lied the most?
Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia - Which petty fool did the best job running something other than mafia?

Moving on, our next round of categories is for players. Let's not inflate their egos though.

Best New Player - Immigrants are the lifeblood of our dying community. We love them.
Best Scumteam - Yeah I'm not going to make a best scum player because it's still going to be merk, but lets look at actual teams that actually played in a game. Name the players and the game they scummed in.
Best Supporting Actress - self explanatory
Most improved Who sucks less than they did at the beginning of the year?
MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award - This award goes to whoever you feel lives up to the Scumhunter legacy
Best Post - Best post dealt out in any game or the discussion thread
Ballsiest Play - It doesn't have to be successful, but who did the wildest poo poo.

And those are the categories.

Nomination Rules
  • You can only submit one nomination per category.
  • You can't nominate yourself
  • You can't nominate a game you modded

To nominate, put the category you are nominating for in bold, followed by the non bolded nominee. If you want to explain your choice do it on a separate line. A good nomination post looks like this:

quote:

Biggest Bastard - MMM
I hate him so much

A bad nomination post looks like

quote:

Yeah remember that time MMM posted all the flips as "skub aligned" and would send players long streams of obscenities claiming they were clues? I think he would be a good bastard guy award recipient and also I think it would be cool if we had a category that somehow referenced pineapples or Gone Home.

Here's a list of categories in plain text

quote:

Game Of The Year
Most Innovative Game
Best Flavour
Weirdest Game
Biggest Heartbreaker

Biggest Bastard
Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia

Best New Player
Best Scumteam
Most improved
MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award
Best Post
Ballsiest Play

If you have any opinions on how this should be different, tell me and maybe I'll do it.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hello I have seven nominations

Game Of The Year - Over the Garden Wall
Most Innovative Game - Slack Mafia #2
This is for the entire Slack Mafia oeuvre, really, but 2 had a fantastic setup so it gets the nod over 1.
Best Flavour - The League #2
Biggest Bastard - Ecco
For giving an insane cop a role PM that said "you are to assume you are sane".
Ballsiest Play - Quid NKing a scumbud in Scooby Doo
Rarity's SK play in CS:GO probably deserves a nom too.
Best new player - Kashuno
Biggest heartbreaker - Mutiny at sea
A really interesting setup that we took a dump all over. Byers' Choose Your Own Song should be nommed too. A fun setup that... didn't end well.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 4, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

I agree with these two

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia - Which petty fool did the best job running something other than mafia?
Oh this is a brazen attempt to get recognition for raccoon game isn't it

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia - Somber's Tontine game! Still get to lie a lot and manipulate poo poo, but everyone is essentially scum and town at the same time and all the manipulation is in private. Really fun and interesting.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna have to think about this, especially since I don't know everything that happened in the last year. Luckily some things I remember ended in December.

Game Of The Year: Over the Garden Wall
A nice friendly game with good flavour and a lot of work done by the players.

Most Innovative Game: Slack Mafia
Slack Mafia 2 might be better, but the first one had a lot of experimenting by the mod and the players.

Best Flavour: League 2
Even though I'm still mad I didn't really get to play, Little Mac is my idol when it comes to writing flavour.

Biggest Heartbreaker: Wild and Crazy Kids
It was so close to being a great game.

Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia:Popcon/Winvirus
It's hard to choose between a lot of them (OMGUS, Tontine, Raccoon game) but popcon destroyed me and it's been about a year since it ended and should be recognized for something.

Best New Player: BottleKnight
He's taken over the mafia discussion thread and has played in so many games it's hard to believe he just got here 6 months ago.

Most improved: Hiipfire
He actually tries now!

That's all I can think of for now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Biggest Heartbreaker: CYOR - Adorable Baby Mafia.
This made me the most sad

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to make one post and just edit it from here on.

Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia - Somber's Tontine game! Still get to lie a lot and manipulate poo poo, but everyone is essentially scum and town at the same time and all the manipulation is in private. Really fun and interesting.
Best New Player - Me :smug: real vote TMM since I can't vote myself

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 5, 2015

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

:(

That was sad.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Asiina posted:

Biggest Heartbreaker: Wild and Crazy Kids
It was so close to being a great game.

How many times can I nominate and/or vote for this?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Game of the Year: Conversion Mafia

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
this is a fantastic idea and I love you for it. I will post my nominees later.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

oh I guess if some categories don't get a lot of nominees then they'll get removed.

Best Burn has been changed to the broader category Best Post

Thinking of changing weirdest game to most creative or something? I want a way to represent games that had notable set ups or results, but not necessarily good.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Game Of The Year: Over the Garden Wall

Best Flavour: The League 2

dunno if I've been playing enough recently to have any strong opinions on the rest.

Unless you make a "punt's other favourite mod" category n then give that prize to cpig tia

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Best Flavour Golgatha, New Mexico - Most people are probably going to put down League 2, which I did liked, but this game was just dripping with pure theme, and in that area I think it was a better successor to Snowbound than Over the Garden Wall. Also the music was good.

i don't feel like i played enough this year to really vote on anything else, but i just wanted to make sure this was represented at least

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I wish I had gotten to run my soldiers game, it'd be sweeping the noms. Goes to show you gotta time things with awards season I guess.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Thinking of changing weirdest game to most creative or something? I want a way to represent games that had notable set ups or results, but not necessarily good.

no we are not nominating son mafia

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Additional rule, you can't nominate me or anything did.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Game Of The Year - Star Trek: The Next Generation/Asiina. The first game I read on the forums. Read about half of it in one gulp and then followed it as it went on. It was the perfect intro to mafia and Asiina did so much work to make that game awesome.
Best Flavour - Krellfia.
Biggest Heartbreaker - XCOM: Enemy Within #1/Captain Foo. An awesome setup, great roles, and just a bunch of dumb stuff happened that made town vomit on itself over and over. Met didn't read his flavor so he was lynched D1, TMM (town) targeted me (town) on D2 and after a huge sprawl said he was just gauging reactions, and then Taste misread a night action result that completely ruined the final stretch. It led to a perfect scum victory.
Best Scumteam - MurmurTwin, yuming & Hal in merk's WIFOA: A Political Mess. Perfect scum victory from a team you wouldn't really envision working perfectly together.
Best Supporting Actress - ecco
MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award - Quidnose.
Best Post - This one.
Ballsiest Play - imgay siding with Jake in Wild & Crazy Kids.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Here are my noms

Game Of The Year The Field
This is Taste's 100 man mafia game.
Weirdest Game everybody gets a dayvig
Biggest Heartbreaker mrs pecan pie mafia
Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia Deadbeat Dad's murder mystery thing
Best New Player TMM
Best Supporting Actress Hal Incandenza
MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award Somberbrero

I'll do others later maybe

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Best post is probably in the resolution to wild and crazy kids

E:

quote:

Maybe is Asiina wasn't so rude, I might have listened to him.
maybe this one

Jump King fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 5, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't play that often anymore so I'll just list the ones I feel qualified to comment on.

Most Innovative Game - This lil fella, the ultimate Winvirus attempt

Biggest Bastard - Ecco. It's always Ecco.
Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia - Fronz even though he didn't post this year

I have a terrible memory >_<

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Got a new nomination:

Biggest Bastard:
MMM

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia- Somber's Tontine

It's a pretty sweet game, though a lot more about socialization than about posting analysis.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Game Of The Year
I didn't play in this one but it traumatised Auspol to the extent a bunch of people stopped playing mafia, gets my vote.

Most Innovative Game
Carnevale!

Best Flavour
Asiina's TNG game

Weirdest Game
Democracy Mafia wtf bowmore lol

Biggest Heartbreaker
busb's soldiers

Best New Player
Podima

Best Scumteam / Ballsiest Play
Tirade, Beet & bowmore (I think?) in what was an obviously vanilla game offing a scumbro D1 and then cop/doc claiming, and I solved it too :argh:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Best Flavour - Tournament of Heroes

Weirdest Game - Taste's humongous game

Biggest Heartbreaker - Byers' CYOS game
It was really an incredible game until it imploded

Best New Player - BottleKnight
(so sad no one's voted for me)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Best New Player - ANarc!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Rarity posted:

Best New Player - ANarc!

Someone else should nominate us as best scum team. Or we could have our own category - Best cult team who failed to recruit a single member until the game was practically over.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Game of the Year - SA Mafia Mafia :unsmigghh:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Post of the year right here

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

Best New Player
Podima

:unsmith:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Kashuno posted:

Post of the year right here

Holy poo poo :agreed:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Best New Player is the only thing i've decided on and Kashuno is my pick.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
No one has nominated me for biggest bastard mod.

I'm gonna have to step up my game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
best game - over the garden wall

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Best attempt to stop mafia: This thread

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hello everybody, I'm Jon Joe

Counterclaiming ##vote MMM

Get owned scrub.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

:captainpop:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I have taken it upon myself to tally the voting for this thing.

Nominations are closed.

Please vote here! http://goo.gl/forms/JxNovIlFT9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Welcome one and all to the awards ceremony for the First Annual LYLOs! It's nice to see all of you here. Except for Dr. Hurt. You're not even a doctor. What are you even doing here?

It's the big show, the big tent, the big kahuna, the biggest mafia awards a small internet community dedicated to mafia could muster! Now let's get this show on the road, we're not nearly important enough to take up time.

In our first category, Best Flavor, there were a lot of great nominees. It was a very close battle. But by a tiny margin, the LYLO goes to: Little Mac for The League 2!
Congrats to you, Mac.

Next, we have that little award dedicated to life outside mafia, if there truly is such a thing. And the LYLO for Most Valiant Attempt To Stop Mafia goes to... Tontine by Somberbrero!

Excellent showing, Somber.

For our next award, we show a little grace to someone we think really stepped it up this year. The Most Improved. And the award goes to... oh my gosh, Hiipfire!

Good on ya, dutchman.

Next we have our goofy-rear end award, for Weirdest Game. It goes to... Met for Everybody Gets a Dayvig!

What an insane game.

A quick intermittent award, for Best Supporting Actress. It goes to... Hal Incandenza!

You go girl.

What's this? Another award? The LYLO for Best Scumteam goes to... MurmurTwin, yuming and Hal Incandenza for WIFOA: A Political Mess!

A great showing by scum everywhere this year.

Next we move onto Most Innovative Game, which handily goes to Slack Mafia by Lumpen!

A win for libertarians everywhere.

We can go ahead for a minute and discuss what everyone can agree is the year's Ballsiest Play. That goes to... Quidnose for NKing a scumbud in Scooby Doo Mafia!

Who would've thought Quid could pull it off.

Next, a very competitive 3-way poll for Best Post. It, by one vote, goes to the cutest lil' totino boy for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETOHJryPJfk!

You make me want oh so many rolls in my mouth.

Let's take a moment for the true pain and sadness in mafia everywhere and look at our next award, Biggest Heartbreaker. It goes to... busb's Soldiers Game!

A tuffy, but sometimes things happen.

Now for our quickfire round, where we shoot off a few more personal awards.

Biggest Bastard? EccoRaven!

Best New Player? AnonymousNarcotics!

MelvinTheJerk's own S C U M H U N T E R Award? Somberbrero!

And finally, the one we've all been waiting for...

The 2015 SomethingAwful Mafia Community LYLO Award for Game of the Year 2015 goes to...

Star Trek: The Next Generation by Asiina!

What an incredible lineup, just in time for us to turn the clock ahead for 2016! (You don't count, ya bloody aussies)

I hope everyone had a good time, and remember to tip your vanilla mafiosos.

• Locked thread