Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I own these games, and they are all good games:
  • Pandemic - 2-4 player co-op game of saving the world from disease. Swell game, but suffers when one person is better at the game than the other players ("quarterbacking"). I have solved the quarterbacking problem by just never getting any good at the game :(
    • There are a bunch of expansions, I have On the Brink which adds cards for a fifth player, more options, and rules for a Bio-Terrorist role to play against the players, in order to mitigate the quarterback problem. The best thing though is that it comes with petri dishes to hold the disease cubes.
  • The Resistance: Avalon - Quick spot-the-traitors bluffing/betrayal/deduction game, best with more than 5.
  • Battlestar Galactica - Long-con spot-the-traitors bluffing/betrayal/spaceship attrition game, best with exactly 5.
  • Love Letter - 2-4 player game with a deck of just 16 cards. It's cheap and insanely fast and comes in a cute little pouch. I wasn't expecting much but this turned out to be the perfect filler game.
  • Eminent Domain + Escalation - It's ok without the expansion (which can be hard to find), but with it, this is probably my favorite game. It's a deckbuilder for two to five players building galactic empires. Very front-loaded learning curve since all the technologies are what make the game interesting, but games go quick once players know how to play.
  • Gamma World - Not exactly a board game but close enough. Single-serving post-apocalyptic D&D.
  • Codenames - I haven't played my copy yet but someone else will probably post about how great it is, whether you want anyone to or not.
Here are some other games I know firsthand are good, or at least trust to be good, but I don't own. I'm not sorry if my descriptions are inaccurate.
  • Space Alert - Forum favorite frantic real-time cooperative starship emergency management simulator. A lot of reliable people think this is the Best Board Game.
  • Twilight Struggle - US vs USSR, Cold War, two players. This one sounds great but I don't really have any use for a strictly 1v1 board game.
  • Dominion - The original deckbuilder; with a couple expansions (any of them besides Alchemy), arguably the best. (Only arguably though, it's actually Eminent Domain.)
  • Valley of the Kings - The only other good deckbuilder.
  • COIN Games - Well it stands for COunterINsurgency, and afaict they're streamlined wargames but I don't know anything else. I'm putting this on the list to appease the COIN fanatics.
  • Galaxy Trucker - Cobble together a ship out of random pipes, and then try to fly it through some encounters without it falling apart. I don't like this game personally.
  • Pandemic Legacy - If I didn't already own Pandemic I would be all over this, and I might still. It's twelve continuous scenarios that form a plotline to your games of Pandemic, where every game affects the next one. I probably described that really poorly but it sounds extremely fun.
These are bad games and I would prefer we not talk about them in this thread but I can't stop you I guess: Settlers of Catan (actually I have a soft spot for Catan because if you have a copy I think it's still a fine way to introduce people to modern board games), Arkham Horror, Cards against Humanity, Betrayal at the Haunted House or whatever, Risk, Whatever that game is that Rutibex always gimmick posts about, the webcomic kitten game. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

my friend says there's a new star wars board game thats fun

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my friend says there's a new star wars board game thats fun

That reminds me there is a Star Trek version of Mage Knight that is supposed to come out soon. I've never played mage Knight but it's supposed to be really good, and the star trek version will probably be AIDS, I'm still excited though

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Coup is a nice bluffing game from the people who did The Resistance: Avalon. Not much to it, but a fun little time-waster that I can't find anywhere around here, goddamnit.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Any Go players on here? I got addicted to the game back when goons were playing Age of Wushu.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah if you say so OP.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bit of a secret though... Literally anything is fun with a friend probably, except being tortured by a psycho in a old derelict warehouse or whatever probably.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
board games own, twilight struggle is really good but I think another GMT game called sekigahara is a better 1v1 game

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

a game, that i like to play with friends, is terra mystica op.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Bit of a secret though... Literally anything is fun with a friend probably, except being tortured by a psycho in a old derelict warehouse or whatever probably.

This is such a win LifeHack.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

hell, i its the foundation of borderlands games

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Friends are some serious win for sure.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I doont have friends and ui smell.really abd url op....ahahhaha

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Is there an my anime list type website but for board games it might help the op

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I play a mean hand of Gin Rummy.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Just play poker instead.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

More like Bored Games.

But really, those old board games that took hours to play can go gently caress themselves.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Hearts, personally.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
presidents and assholes is one of my favorite drinking games

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I like Eldritch Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill OP. Why do you consider those bad games?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

eldritch isnt that bad but BatHotH has no consistency imo

terra mystica loving owns

also buy baseball highlights 2045, it also owns

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

It would probably be more fun than getting tortured alone tbf.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*turning to friend in horrific torture chair while insane psychopath feasts on one of you surgically removed limbs*

Jesse: Dude! You got a message carved into your forehead!

Chester: So do you, dude! Dude, what does my carving say?

Jesse: "Sweet!" What about mine?

Chester: "Dude!" What does mine say?

Chester: "Dude!" But what does mine say?

Jesse: "S - wee - t!" What about mine?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

*turning to friend in horrific torture chair while insane psychopath feasts on one of you surgically removed limbs*

lmao

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Givin posted:

I like Eldritch Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill OP. Why do you consider those bad games?

I never played Eldritch horror but from everything I hear it improved most of the worst things about Arkham Horror. i used to own a copy of that and I used to think it was a good game until I noticed that 90%+ of the time and effort of "playing" the game actually just goes into running the game. that isn't good but isn't necessarily bad either, but if you boil that down to just the behaviors that make up the actual game, it blows, there's hardly any interesting decisions and the random elements are extremely swingy.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It would probably be more fun than getting tortured alone tbf.

true

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Trip report: Went to a game store. I played Codenames, which was fun. Also, I played Lords of Waterdeep. I really like it is that a good idea? Will I discover that it sucks if I buy it????

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Just play poker instead.

Why?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

von Metternich posted:

Trip report: Went to a game store. I played Codenames, which was fun. Also, I played Lords of Waterdeep. I really like it is that a good idea? Will I discover that it sucks if I buy it????
lords of waterdeep is alright: its like an introduction to worker placement games, its not that bad, but there are loads of really good worker placement games out there which are better than it but dont have the D&D logo stamped on them

some examples are caylus (which is pretty much lords of waterdeep done right), agricola, caverna, dungeon petz etc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dude where's my car is on the top 5 weed movies for sure

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

1: Super Troopers
2: Grandma's boy
3: Dude where's my car
4: Jay and Silent Bob Strike back
5: Pineapple Express

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't think card games were board games but whatever OP. Anyway I like playing Texas Hold'em but nobody else I know likes Poker.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

1: Super Troopers
2: Grandma's boy
3: Dude where's my car
4: Jay and Silent Bob Strike back
5: Pineapple Express
Hell yeah!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

500 is a good card game and its easy to learn

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Some games are only fun based on the group.
Codenames can get a little tedious with ultra competitive sorts who keep trying to call foul on compound words or that get impatient and use the timer. It's one of my favorite new games though.

I really wanna like two rooms and a boom, but my group of friends that plays boardgames hasn't really given it a shot and always wanna play One Night werewolf (or vampire now) when we get 10ish people.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

I didn't think card games were board games but whatever OP. Anyway I like playing Texas Hold'em but nobody else I know likes Poker.

that's a good point I guess, dominion and love letter don't have any sort of board. but still I would put them squarely in the "designer board game" category. "Card games" to me means playable with a 52-card deck (or two, pinochle). euchre hearts poker etc. I hate euchre btw.

Poker is great, when my friends have a poker night we usually do dealer's choice until we get tired of it and then everyone buys in to a no-limit Holdem tournament.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i feel two rooms and a boom has a weird dynamic: it works only well in a large group, but large groups tend to marginalize people

i went on holiday with a few friends and we played loads of resistance avalon with people that had never played before, like 5 games a night, it was really cool seeing people learn the game and see how they constantly improved, at the start we had the spies winning all the time but by the end the good guys almost always won

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Tekopo posted:

lords of waterdeep is alright: its like an introduction to worker placement games, its not that bad, but there are loads of really good worker placement games out there which are better than it but dont have the D&D logo stamped on them

some examples are caylus (which is pretty much lords of waterdeep done right), agricola, caverna, dungeon petz etc

I've played Agricola a few times and absolutely hated it, which is why I was wary about LOD, but I can't figure out why I feel differently about it. Unless it's the theme, but I'm trying to find another reason that makes me less shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i bought the exploding cat game for my sister i hope she likes it

• Locked thread