Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, which quality teams did Houston beat?

Navy/Temple/Memphis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, which quality teams did Houston beat?
Well they beat a ranked opponent today and a ranked one last week. I'm sure you can look at their schedule and figure this poo poo out.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Ohio State is the worst possible matchup for us since they have the best defensive line in college football and our entire OL is in triage at this point

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Navy/Temple/Memphis.

One low top 25 team and two teams that are probably top 40.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

Bip Roberts posted:

I hate to break it to you but the AAC top 4 is pretty good in a season where the P5 is kinda all over the place. I would have given navy, Memphis, Houston and temple better chances against bama today than Florida for whatever that's worth.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Yo, bit late to the party but just wanted to say Houston Owns, gently caress Dallas.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I sense an angry MV will descend upon us.

Poor guy :(

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Houston also beat Vanderbilt 34-0 while Florida only beat them 9-7. You can say we didn't play any quality opponents but we beat 3 ranked teams in 4 weeks, won our conference and are looking to be even better next year. We play Oklahoma in the opener and I'm liking our chances at this point.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Bip Roberts posted:

That's three top 25 teams in a sane world. Memphis thrashed Ole Miss, who have a pretty good shot at an NY6 bowl themselves, Temple took Notre Dame to the wire and beat Penn State, and Navy had some strong wins against Air Force (MWC runner up), USF (AAC East runner up), and Memphis.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp
Iowa Football Hawks B.tch 12-1, undefeated regular season, 10-0/11-0/12-0 first time in school history. Go Iowa Awesome :unsmith:

Please send this team to the Rose. OSU is a loving 5 star magnet NFL factory, they'll be back next year and every year after with Urban. We get a crack at it a few times a century.

Do the right dang thing

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Rose bowl should based on regular season only. Plus Ohio St sucks

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Big 12 schedule makers really hosed us (WVU) this year. Our 4 hardest games in a row, 3 of which are on the road, and then make us play on conference championship week so now all the good coaching options are snatched up and we're stuck with Holgo for another mediocre at best year. It's quite obvious at this point that, at least as a head coach, he's never going to develop the level of offense his reputation suggestion before his hire.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Goddamn Wildcats are still 10-2, gently caress your body clocks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

I sense an angry MV will descend upon us.

Poor guy :(

Mostly just sad, pending bowl destination.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Well, Ole Miss is going to New Orleans to play Oklahoma State in the Sugar Bowl so :snoop:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
that nine minute drive by michigan state is why I still watch this stupid beautiful sport in a year where GT and Purdue combined for three FBS wins. That was game of the year far and away for me- just two really, really good teams beating hell out of each other until one barely won at the last second. Hoping MSU at least gets to the championship game and Iowa beats hell out of Stanford in the Rose Bowl.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I just saw that offside call on UNC during the onside kick and :stare:

What the gently caress?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My new totally wrong playoff team predictions (that's probably right this week)
Week 4: Ohio State, Baylor, Ole Miss, UCLA/Utah Winner
Week 5: Ohio State, Baylor, Alabama, Florida State
Week 6: Baylor, Utah, Florida State, LSU
Week 7: Baylor, Utah, Alabama, Florida State
Week 8: Ohio State, Baylor, LSU, Clemson
Week 9: Ohio State, Baylor, LSU, Clemson
Week 10: Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma
Week 11: Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Notre Dame
Week 12: Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State, Oklahoma

Week 13: Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State, Oklahoma

Michigan State will probably jump Oklahoma, and possible Alabama as well, with their win. And I expect Stanford to be in the 5 spot as the first team out. If they jump Stanford to 4 and knock out Oklahoma expect actual blood to be shed.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 6, 2015

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
I'm an OSU fan but I felt really bad for Iowa and hope they get in the Rose Bowl instead of us. Losing in the conference championship in the last second shouldn't change you from being a playoff contender to not good enough to be in the Rose Bowl, at least not if it was that close of a loss.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Hey guys

Did you hear the MSU quarterback snubbed Archie Griffin

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
As far as Iowa getting to the Rose Bowl I could see the committee going either way. Ohio State lost to Michigan State by 3 at home, Iowa lost by 3 at a neutral site. And that's the only loss for both of them. Northwestern is a better win than Michigan but only slightly, #14 in the CFP for Northwestern to #15 for Michigan. And for both of them that is their only ranked win (though that could change in the final ranking).

If Iowa does get passed I bet it is because the committee agrees with Zeke and thinks if he had gotten the ball more Ohio State would have beaten Michigan State. And as far as "punished for losing in the championship game" I don't really agree with that, Iowa lucked out with the division schedule that they played two of the worst teams in the East division, so I think it is more valid to say that their ranking so far was a reward for not seeing Ohio State, Michigan State, or Michigan during the regular season and now that they actually saw Michigan State Sparty did the same thing to them they'd done to the other good teams. Swap Ohio State and Iowa's schedule/results and you have a 12-0 Ohio State losing by 3 to Sparty in the B1G Championship and an 11-1 Iowa sitting at home hoping to pass them. Neither Iowa or Ohio State to the Rose would surprise me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Well you see Urban Meyer has never coached in a rose bowl in his four long years of being a big ten coach so he's really earned an opportunity to be there. He'll definitely never have this chance again.

E: the east had three good teams and the rest of it was crap. Ohio State can't play themselves, and they lost to one of the other good teams aat home. Penn State is not a good team, I am so sick of hearing how we lucked out avoiding them. OSU didn't play Wisconsin, who is at least as good and probably better than PSU. Pitt was better than anyone they played in non-con too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 6, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

marsisol posted:

I just saw that offside call on UNC during the onside kick and :stare:

What the gently caress?

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but don't refs have the ability to change the call via replay on a non-reviewable penalty if it was an "egregious error that impacts the outcome of the game" or something like that? Because that was an egregious error that impacted the outcome of the game.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
UNC's phantom offsides was karma for Ron Cherry not bothering to review their game winning "touchdown" against Virginia Tech :colbert:

go dabo go

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I'm devastated but at the same time I recognize that game was a legendary Big 10 game. Losing a game like that is so much worse than getting blown out because you'll always have small moments you can point to afterward as the "if only this thing happened."

That said Iowa needed the stop in that last drive and had 23 chances to get it. Good luck Sparty, I hope Iowa gets another championship with you next year.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MourningView posted:

Well you see Urban Meyer has never coached in a rose bowl in his four long years of being a big ten coach so he's really earned an opportunity to be there. He'll definitely never have this chance again.

E: the west had three good teams and the rest of it was crap. Ohio State can't play themselves, and they lost to one of the other good teams aat home. Penn State is not a good team, I am so sick of hearing how we lucked out avoiding them. OSU didn't play Wisconsin, who is at least as good and probably better than PSU. Pitt was better than anyone they played in non-con too.

I.....what? Iowa would wipe the floor with this PSU team.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think Penn State and Georgia have been confirmed in the TaxSlayer Bowl.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

Man, I loving love Mark Dantonio. Yeah, he just said god was favoring his team. And yeah, he did bail players out of jail and then start them the next saturday. And yeah, he can be a bit of a Saban-lite, a robot who displays mostly rage and a little humor only when stuff is going perfectly. Yet, he's turned my favorite program from a laughingstock into a playoff team.

When I was growing up, being a state fan meant being a loving joke. We made an art of blowing games, and I thought that would be my lot for life. That's pretty much gone now. It's telling that the refrain has gone from "Sparty No" to "Sparty On". All throughout my fandom, we found ways to not win games. Now we're finding ways to win them. As someone who grew up a State fan, Lions fan and a Tigers fan, it's just a shock to have a team I root for show up in big moments, and win big games. We don't have to win on New Years Eve, because in my eyes we've already won to some degree. The culture has changed. Mediocrity and blown chances are no longer our ethic, and it feels loving great.

Sparty's win over Stanford in the Rose Bowl already felt to me like a major turning point in the transition to a lot of people (including me) viewing MSU as one of the major college football powers. That was even before this season and Sparty making the playoff.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Even with a night to sleep on the results, I still feel dead inside. Going to be a long drive home from Indianapolis :smith:

e:

:smith::smith:

Stutes fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 6, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

Man, I loving love Mark Dantonio. Yeah, he just said god was favoring his team. And yeah, he did bail players out of jail and then start them the next saturday. And yeah, he can be a bit of a Saban-lite, a robot who displays mostly rage and a little humor only when stuff is going perfectly. Yet, he's turned my favorite program from a laughingstock into a playoff team.

When I was growing up, being a state fan meant being a loving joke. We made an art of blowing games, and I thought that would be my lot for life. That's pretty much gone now. It's telling that the refrain has gone from "Sparty No" to "Sparty On". All throughout my fandom, we found ways to not win games. Now we're finding ways to win them. As someone who grew up a State fan, Lions fan and a Tigers fan, it's just a shock to have a team I root for show up in big moments, and win big games. We don't have to win on New Years Eve, because in my eyes we've already won to some degree. The culture has changed. Mediocrity and blown chances are no longer our ethic, and it feels loving great.

Couldn't say it any better.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I.....what? Iowa would wipe the floor with this PSU team.

I dunno man. It keeps coming up for some reason when people knock our schedule relative to the east teams. People list all the good teams in the east we didn't have to play and the throw Penn State in for some reason

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It's very frustrating that such a fantastic defense is wasted by a godawful offense. UF only lost by 14 to eventual-national-champion-Alabama-Crimson-Tide with zero offensive prowess...I guess that's a positive?

The withered husk of our o-line is the fault of one William Muschamp, and I will never forgive him for it.

I'm looking forward to Mac cratering him over the next three years.

SC goons better pray for a tiny buyout--don't get Weis'd!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

LeeMajors posted:

It's very frustrating that such a fantastic defense is wasted by a godawful offense. UF only lost by 14 to eventual-national-champion-Alabama-Crimson-Tide with zero offensive prowess...I guess that's a positive?

The withered husk of our o-line is the fault of one William Muschamp, and I will never forgive him for it.

I'm looking forward to Mac cratering him over the next three years.

SC goons better pray for a tiny buyout--don't get Weis'd!

Maybe Mcgarity will pull his head out of his rear end and keep Pruitt

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Saucer Crab posted:

Big 12 schedule makers really hosed us (WVU) this year. Our 4 hardest games in a row, 3 of which are on the road, and then make us play on conference championship week so now all the good coaching options are snatched up and we're stuck with Holgo for another mediocre at best year. It's quite obvious at this point that, at least as a head coach, he's never going to develop the level of offense his reputation suggestion before his hire.

Being completely incapable of bringing in a qb or coaching up any qb in his "anyone can learn it in a week" system sealed it for me on him. My problem is at least mediocre is winning, whereas coaching carousel will likely make us BFFs with kansas in the basement.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I was in the Atlanta airport last night for a while about an hour after the SEC championship game was over and I want to formally express my disappointment that there was not a single person there decked out in Bama gear for me to say "Roll Tide" to. I know nobody from the game would be there that quickly, but you'd think there would be some fans in transit or something given the location.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
How would you guys rank the actual quality of the teams in the playoff? Not their quality of schedule or what they showed, but actually who you think would beat who?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Has the ACC actually tried to defend that horrible call yet? You know it's bad when NO one on TV says they saw the offsides. They didn't even call a player.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Quandary posted:

How would you guys rank the actual quality of the teams in the playoff? Not their quality of schedule or what they showed, but actually who you think would beat who?

Alabama and Oklahoma are the 1st tier, Clemson and Michigan State are the 2nd. All of them are absolutely good enough to win it though (if I was going to guess Sparty would need luck than the others), it's not like last year where FSU was a dead team walking.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Quandary posted:

It's a little weird. For whatever reason, Saban is kinda poo poo in not-championship post-season games. His secondary also tends to do pretty badly against good WRs or good scrambling QBs. something Oklahoma and Clemson have both of, in large quantities.

Dabo's team still seems really undisciplined, and his OL is good but not great, and Alabama's front seven is great. If they don't script a couple great series early on against a team like Alabama, they're not gonna have a good time. His defense is pretty good but kinda thing along the front line.

I don't really watch Oklahoma on defense.

Sparty's gonna lose bad

So I guess, Clemson/Oklahoma, then Alabama, then Sparty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Baylor wouldve beat any of those teams, and already beat two of them OU and Mich St basically

• Locked thread