Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

KaptainKrunk posted:

If two Muslims, one a non-citizen, purchasing thousands of rounds of ammunition and assault weapons legally in the wake of similar terror attacks in Paris isn't enough to motivate conservatives to maybe, kinda, possibly consider gun control nothing will. The arms industry and the NRA have over half of our politicians by the balls and nothing will change for the foreseeable future.

In terms of the empirical evidence linking gun control and deaths by firearms, yeah it is pretty irrefutable.

Yeah you're right. let's gun control muslims so this doesn't happen again, might aswell do the jews next and then the rest of the non races there hitler.

You do realize that gun control affects the poor way more than it affects the rich right? Oh poo poo they legally bought the guns! This is such a moot point, you can legally buy all the parts needed to build a firearm except the lower reciever and mill one out yourself. It takes less than 10 minutes if you have a basic youtube knowledge of how to use a dremel.

People love to use gun control as the way to stop crime but they really don't know what that means. I could go carve a lower receiver out of a piece of wood, so are you going to start monitoring what every single person buys in the entire country to stop them from building guns? Are we going to censor the information on how to construct firearms too? Because there are gunsmiths out there. So what's next then, with the advent of 3d Printers you can print barrels. So you can print every single piece of a rifle. Are we now going to start observing inside your house to ensure you aren't building one yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Couldn't you make the same picture except replace the guns with Muslims and "assault weapon" with "terrorist" and make an equally (or more, even) compelling argument that would go against the tenets of most who agree with your picture?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

LeoMarr posted:

Yeah you're right. let's gun control muslims so this doesn't happen again, might aswell do the jews next and then the rest of the non races there hitler.

You do realize that gun control affects the poor way more than it affects the rich right? Oh poo poo they legally bought the guns! This is such a moot point, you can legally buy all the parts needed to build a firearm except the lower reciever and mill one out yourself. It takes less than 10 minutes if you have a basic youtube knowledge of how to use a dremel.

People love to use gun control as the way to stop crime but they really don't know what that means. I could go carve a lower receiver out of a piece of wood, so are you going to start monitoring what every single person buys in the entire country to stop them from building guns? Are we going to censor the information on how to construct firearms too? Because there are gunsmiths out there. So what's next then, with the advent of 3d Printers you can print barrels. So you can print every single piece of a rifle. Are we now going to start observing inside your house to ensure you aren't building one yourself?

I never advocated for targeting any particular group.

Of course, yeah you can go through the effort of loving making a gun if you really wanted, but the amount of effort needed to do so is more than most people are willing to put forth. You're really grasping for straws here.

Gun control works and is entirely consistent with a reasonable reading of the Second Amendment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mastajake posted:

Couldn't you make the same picture except replace the guns with Muslims and "assault weapon" with "terrorist" and make an equally (or more, even) compelling argument that would go against the tenets of most who agree with your picture?

Umm I don't think so, but you are welcome to try.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LeoMarr posted:

Man if only statistics and evidence actually backed these claims.

And no, most people are not going have a Metal 3D printer, and 3D printing a plastic barrel is a terrible idea.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

KaptainKrunk posted:

I never advocated for targeting any particular group.

Of course, yeah you can go through the effort of loving making a gun if you really wanted, but the amount of effort needed to do so is more than most people are willing to put forth. You're really grasping for straws here.

Gun control works and is entirely consistent with a reasonable reading of the Second Amendment.

You sure?
Step 1.
Let's start with our rifle kit 18+ signature is only thing required delivered to your door

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/2279/

Step 1a. Add to cart Ammo and Magazines

Step 2. Buy lower receiver

http://www.80percentarms.com/collections/lower-receivers/products/80-lower-receiver-type-iii-hard-anodized-billet-ar-15

Step 2a. buy dremel if you don't have one

Step 3. watch this video drill 2 holes and a square next to a rectangle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDe2Ovkh8I

Step 4. Use firearm

So tell me, This is the legal firearm route

Step 1 Buy firearm wait X days by state law, (Or walk out the door with it)

Step 2 buy ammo and magazines

Step 3. Use firearm

If you really truly think that a criminal wouldn't do these extra few steps and extra hour worth of effort to commit a crime you really should rethink reality.

Especially if they are an extremist willing to lose their own life while killing others.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 7, 2015

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Bip Roberts posted:

B looks straight off the short bus but dunno about "scary looking".

If all guns except Klobbs were banned, gun deaths would decline rapidly, because you have to stand there and take it for a few minutes to get shot enough to die.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

i too like to cite a bunch of people who were mad about not owning slaves as my gently caress THE MAN role models

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeoMarr posted:

So what's next then, with the advent of 3d Printers

which are prohibitively expensive for most people to get access to

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clammy posted:

I feel like if guns were banned, then the people who go into dark crazy places in their brains and instead of coming out of that thinking "wow, I was in a crazy headspace, glad I feel better now," instead of that they come out thinking, "yeah, gently caress these assholes, and i'm going to martyr myself to prove a point to the world because for some reason i feel like have nothing left to lose," those people, even if they couldn't for the life of them get it together to get their hands on a firearm, they would just figure out how to make a homemade bomb (it's not hard) and kill a bunch of people that way. Or they would go on a stabbing rampage.Or they would just kamikaze an automobile into a big group of people. My point is, the problem isn't guns, it's people running amok. But since we can't figure out how to stop people from running amok, we figure we need to keep them from getting weapons. But since everything can be a weapon then that's kind of a dumb superficial solution to say that suppressing one specific weapon in a sea of potential weapons is going to be some kind of solution. People run amok in America because they are disenfranchised and completely hosed.

Guns make violence easier and deadlier. Not every gun murder is committed by someone ready, willing and able to kill their target by any other means.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
3d printers are extremely overhyped, in general, but also specifically as a means for gun fanboys as a way to circumvent gun laws. The ability to make homemade firearms has existed literally for centuries in every country with strong gun control. Nevertheless without mass production and legal markets they exist at vastly lower rates.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tezzor posted:

Guns make violence easier and deadlier. Not every gun murder is committed by someone ready, willing and able to kill their target by any other means.

Violence is pretty good though. Might as well make it a poor pastime. Besides, if you have a gun you'll be better able to deal with Tezzor's posting.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

The answer is B & C because they're an assault on good taste.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mmann posted:

:boom:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mmann posted:

:agreed:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kilroy posted:

The way some people talk about gun control you'd think guns were totally illegal and very rare in the US until about a week or so before the Columbine shootings, and since then we've been manufacturing the things on a wartime footing and leaving them in piles outside of mental health clinics and elementary schools.

There have not been any big changes to gun control in a long while, have there? And in the meantime we have seen the incidence of mass shootings increase.

Your basic premise is flawed. First of all, mass shootings didn't begin with Columbine. The term "going postal" originated from a number of mass shootings in the 80s and 90s that involved postal workers in some way, for instance. It wasn't the first school shooting, either - the 1966 University of Texas massacre and the 1974 Olean High School shooting are prominent examples, though there were a number of other such incidents throughout the second half of the 20th century.

Second, gun control is changing constantly. There have been a number of federal gun bills passed since 1980, though with no clear trend or direction to the list - it's an imcoherent mishmash of pro-gun control and anti-gun control measures. On top of that, some states have their own extra gun laws on top of federal law.

Third, your assertion that those mean old lefties just want to ban all guns forever out of a vindictive and self-destructive compulsion to gently caress over conservative voters is downright stupid. Is that really more reasonable than "they want to put in place restrictions on dangerous weapons to reduce the possibility that they are used for violence"? I guess it's not entirely unbelievable that you'd think that, considering that your solution to gun violence is to just end all violence so there won't be any violence left to use those perfectly innocent guns for.

Nonsense posted:

There is no reasonable gun control for those folks, if you haven't already noticed. The machinegun list thing is brought up like it was a slave rebellion, and they dared to trick the gun masters.

Hey, they say the same thing about taxes, but they still pay 'em every year. Most people crazy enough to actually start an armed rebellion over gun control (as opposed to toothless blather and bluffing hyperbole) are already involved in insane anti-government militia poo poo like the Oath Keepers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

The term "going postal" originated from a number of mass shootings in the 80s and 90s that involved postal workers in some way, for instance.

for the record, "in some way" usually boils down to "management was being so loving awful and treating people so badly that they came to work specifically to shoot their boss"

the second one, the one that really got people's attention, where the guy came to work specifically to shoot a couple of the managers and nobody else, has a bunch of news footage of the guy's coworkers and every single one of them says some variation on "i don't want to speak ill of the dead, and i'm not saying he deserved it, but we all knew someone was gonna shoot that rear end in a top hat in the face one day". that guy had been given the shittiest job (being a carrier who works a different route every day) and was getting disciplined over all kinds of bullshit, a lot of it manufactured, because they were trying to get him fired because his numbers weren't at literally machine-perfect level.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Third, your assertion that those mean old lefties just want to ban all guns forever out of a vindictive and self-destructive compulsion to gently caress over conservative voters is downright stupid. Is that really more reasonable than "they want to put in place restrictions on dangerous weapons to reduce the possibility that they are used for violence"? I guess it's not entirely unbelievable that you'd think that, considering that your solution to gun violence is to just end all violence so there won't be any violence left to use those perfectly innocent guns for.

Conservatism on any issue generally requires some kind of paranoid thinking that someone is out to get you, so yeah it's entirely expected that people would think Australia's gun ban was a liberal plot to make gun owners cry and not an extremely successful public safety initiative that has effectively ended mass shootings in that country.

To be fair to Killroy he said in the other thread he votes Democrat anyway, so at least the usual criticism that pro-gun people talk about mental health and education and poverty after every massacre but then go vote against it anyway doesn't apply. But your criticism that ending gun violence by making 100% sure that no one wants to hurt anyone else ever is unicorn-and-fairydust impossible horseshit rather than emulating the successful gun control policies of other countries is perfectly on point.

Also lol at him thinking mass shootings and gun violence didn't happen before Columbine. There's a reason we passed the NFA in one of the fleeting decades of sanity America ever had when reacting to gun violence.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

First of all, mass shootings didn't begin with Columbine...
Are mass shootings on the rise, or aren't they? If they are, then my premise seems sound.

quote:

Second, gun control is changing constantly. There have been a number of federal gun bills passed since 1980, though with no clear trend or direction to the list - it's an imcoherent mishmash of pro-gun control and anti-gun control measures.
Great, so no major changes to gun control recently, as I said.

quote:

Third, your assertion that those mean old lefties just want to ban all guns forever out of a vindictive and self-destructive compulsion to gently caress over conservative voters is downright stupid. Is that really more reasonable than "they want to put in place restrictions on dangerous weapons to reduce the possibility that they are used for violence"?
I think the left earnestly wants to ban or seriously restrict private gun ownership in an effort to curb incidents of mass violence. I think they are sincere. However I also think their (largely justified, IMO) antipathy toward conservatives causes them to overestimate the efficacy of such an action, and downplay or ignore the negatives. Basically, since their enemies loving hate it, it must be a great idea.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VitalSigns posted:

Also lol at him thinking mass shootings and gun violence didn't happen before Columbine.
Oh gently caress off. I didn't say that and you know it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Are mass shootings on the rise, or aren't they? If they are, then my premise seems sound.

Gun sales have been on the rise over the last 20 years too. We don't have gun registration so we don't know how many are sold in a year but they tend to correlate with the number of background checks

And we know that gun deaths correlate with the rates of gun ownership.

So I think you've got a bit more to do to establish that the number of guns is unrelated to the number of mass shootings beyond "well we have more mass shootings and guns have existed since before the Revolutionary War so they can't be related"

E: updated graph

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 7, 2015

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

...Also lol at him thinking mass shootings and gun violence didn't happen before Columbine. There's a reason we passed the NFA in one of the fleeting decades of sanity America ever had when reacting to gun violence.

And it didn't do a drat thing.

quote:

A 2004 critical review of firearms research by a National Research Council committee said that an academic study of the assault weapon ban "did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence outcomes." The committee noted that the study's authors said the guns were used criminally with relative rarity before the ban and that its maximum potential effect on gun violence outcomes would be very small.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Edit: Changed the graph

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VitalSigns posted:

So I think you've got a bit more to do to establish that the number of guns is unrelated to the number of mass shootings beyond "well we have more mass shootings and guns have existed since before the Revolutionary War so they can't be related"
If you read my post again you will find I'm talking about gun-related legislation, not rates of gun ownership.

That said, I hadn't considered that people were buying guns at substantially higher rates than before, even in the absence of substantial legislative changes. I will give that some thought, thanks.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
In tonight's speech Obama said we should not let people on the no-fly list buy guns and that it should be more difficult to purchase an assault rifle.

2 of my Facebook friends have already had meltdowns about how "the President called tonight for banning guns."

This is what gun control advocates are up against. Let's not let terrorism suspects buy guns and make it more difficult to buy an assault rifle than walking into a loving Wal-mart = HERE THEY COME TO GET EM MOLON LABE THEN YOU GOVERNMENT BASTARDS.

Let's see if there's any response on either of them to my request for a quote or a link to part of the speech calling for a gun ban. I have a feeling that by tomorrow morning I, a gun-loving psychopath who owns more than a dozen firearms, will be confirmed as a lefty gun-grabber who wants us all to die disarmed and starving in a FEMA death camp.

I say again, it's not liberal vs. conservative anymore, it's people who inhabit three-dimensional physical reality vs. people who inhabit a world constructed entirely of terrified paranoid delusions. And hoo boy does that ever suck.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Oh gently caress off. I didn't say that and you know it.

Yeah okay I was being unfair, sorry.

MrTuffPaws posted:

And it didn't do a drat thing.

The assault weapons ban is not the NFA

E:

JonathonSpectre posted:

In tonight's speech Obama said we should not let people on the no-fly list buy guns and that it should be more difficult to purchase an assault rifle.

2 of my Facebook friends have already had meltdowns about how "the President called tonight for banning guns."

This is what gun control advocates are up against. Let's not let terrorism suspects buy guns and make it more difficult to buy an assault rifle than walking into a loving Wal-mart = HERE THEY COME TO GET EM MOLON LABE THEN YOU GOVERNMENT BASTARDS.
I support gun control but using the no-fly list is a terrible idea and I can't believe Democrats are actually supporting Bush's security state and proposing we discriminate against people for having scary names, knowing the wrong people, and other bullshit that gets innocent people on the no-fly list and forces them to prove themselves innocent.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 7, 2015

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Main Paineframe posted:

Hey, they say the same thing about taxes, but they still pay 'em every year. Most people crazy enough to actually start an armed rebellion over gun control (as opposed to toothless blather and bluffing hyperbole) are already involved in insane anti-government militia poo poo like the Oath Keepers.

Those people are the reason for you to own guns. They're certainly among the reasons I do.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Didn't the democrats (and anybody else who had any sense) hate the No-fly list since its stupid since nobody on it has actually committed a crime but because they were non-white or pissed off some racist DHS employee they can't fly?

Speaking of DHS employees: http://freebeacon.com/national-security/72-dhs-employees-on-terrorist-watch-list/

Why the gently caress are we now saying its ok to take away a constitutional right just because they have a scary name like Mohammad?

This about face on it is disappointing.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah okay I was being unfair, sorry.

The assault weapons ban is not the NFA

E:

I support gun control but using the no-fly list is a terrible idea and I can't believe Democrats are actually supporting Bush's security state and proposing we discriminate against people for having scary names, knowing the wrong people, and other bullshit that gets innocent people on the no-fly list and forces them to prove themselves innocent.

There needs to be due process on both, especially the ability to challenge a designation in court, but not letting potential terrorists fly or buy guns seems reasonable imo.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Shall not be infringed.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Volcott posted:

Shall not be infringed.

Yeah well tell that to all the felons, and vets who pull a psych discharge

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Volcott posted:

Shall not be infringed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Miller

VVVVV
Nice

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 7, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volcott posted:

Shall not be infringed.

Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press

What part of "no law" don't you understand?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

VitalSigns posted:

And we know that gun deaths correlate with the rates of gun ownership.

Could you link the data? I'd like to play with them a bit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Admiral Bosch posted:

Those people are the reason for you to own guns. They're certainly among the reasons I do.

No, they're the reason for the police to have guns. Preferably as special equipment to be called for as reinforcements, rather than day-to-day regular equipment. If an armed militia decides to hold me hostage for some reason I'm under no silly illusions about singlehandedly killing them all in a Wild West shootout if only I had a gun.

Numlock posted:

Didn't the democrats (and anybody else who had any sense) hate the No-fly list since its stupid since nobody on it has actually committed a crime but because they were non-white or pissed off some racist DHS employee they can't fly?

Speaking of DHS employees: http://freebeacon.com/national-security/72-dhs-employees-on-terrorist-watch-list/

Why the gently caress are we now saying its ok to take away a constitutional right just because they have a scary name like Mohammad?

You think the about-face has only just happened now? Why do you think the no-fly list even still exists? The no-fly list was hated when Bush did it, but like most of Bush's other excesses, the no-fly list was abruptly forgotten by left-leaning media as soon as Obama kept it around and continued to use it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Admiral Bosch posted:

You are not John Woo/Agent 47/Neo and just having a concealed carry is not a surefire protection, in fact you'd more likely freeze up unless you've actually experienced a combat situation and have drilled how to react. Range time doesn't count.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Numlock posted:

Luckily I answered this upthread:

Kilroy posted:

Basically, since their enemies loving hate it, it must be a great idea.
A lot of Obama supporters who were uncomfortable with the no-fly list just got a lot more comfortable with it after today's :master:, and you can see this in the USPOL thread as well. Meanwhile idiots on the right who supported it before, are now scratching their heads.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

CommieGIR posted:

You are not John Woo/Agent 47/Neo and just having a concealed carry is not a surefire protection, in fact you'd more likely freeze up unless you've actually experienced a combat situation and have drilled how to react. Range time doesn't count.

More projecting from the anti-gun side, what a surprise.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Numlock posted:

More projecting from the anti-gun side, what a surprise.

Its okay, your fantasy of being the good guy with a gun is still secure, I assure you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Sometimes, I guess. You're laying out the worst scenario, just like people with concealed carry fantasies lay out the best one. It is possible to use a gun to defend yourself. It happens from time to time.

• Locked thread