Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Some discussions about the game appeared in a Star Citizen thread. So at the request of the usual suspects, I am creating this thread to have those discussions in.

quote:

Line Of Defense is a sci-fi MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) in which thousands of players across various servers, fight for the control of bases located on planets and in space.

The game features a massive battle between Galactic Command (GALCOM) military forces and the Insurgents paramilitary forces.

Players wage war as infantry in either first or third person perspective with the ability to use various assets such as land and sea vehicles, planetary and space craft.

As you play the game, you gain Combat Experience Points (CEP) through various actions. These can then be used to gain medals, rank as well as Combat Training Certificates (CTC) which are used to gain various skills.

The battle takes place on a massive planet which has four expansive bases. The planet, Lyrius, also provides access to the space region where the four stations as well as a massive carrier are located. You are able to enter these station and carrier bases either in first person mode (infantry) or by flying to them and docking with a fighter or shuttle craft.

Though a vastly different game type and featuring a brand new game engine designed and developed from the ground up, the Line Of Defense game is based on the All Aspects game series by 3000AD, Inc. You know how there are many Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate games, movies etc all with a different premise, tech etc but with the same (or similar) lore? Well it's kinda like that. So if you have played any of the All Aspects games and think this is remotely the same type of game, you would be very wrong. Read on.

The game primarily takes place on the distant planet called Lyrius located in the Sirius starsystem. Once used for bio and weapons based research, this planet was tech rich and home to one of Galactic Command's (GALCOM)  primary research installations.

The Sirius star system itself is home to two space sectors with a total of three planets and two moons. Connected via jump anomalies is the Barnard's Star system, also home to three planets and two moons in two space sectors.

Of the ten planets and moons in both star systems, only the Lyrius planet has thus far been colonized and thus habitable. On it are four continents and each was chosen for its unique characteristics, topology and due to being located on different climate zones.

As part of their colonization and research, GALCOM forces constructed a primary colony on each of the four continents. A military starbase was built on each of the four continents, with one being constructed within the walls of an abandoned city.

As the years went by and the planet's resources were depleted, GALCOM's focus shifted to other planets. It didn't take long before the Insurgents, a Terran group that is in direct opposition to GALCOM forces, showed up. They took over the bases, then all but killed every single GALCOM military personnel left on the planet. Shortly after, they started to wage war on GALCOM forces in other parts of the star system using Lyrius as their base of operations.

That's when GALCOM finally decided to commit military forces to the planet in a bid to exterminate the Insurgent threat.

About The Game
FAQ
Game Docs
changelog
Game Media

The game is currently on Steam Early Access and we're shooting for a final release in the early part of 2016. You can only get in by buying either a Starter Kit ($9.99) or one of the TAK tier bundles ($19.99 - $59.99). Store comparison page.

We had a free test in March this year when we were testing the Steam backend, entitlements etc. Well, needless to say, the results were not as expected.

And since my first Star Citizen blog of this past July, a bunch of extremist Star Citizen White Knights have been engaged in further review bombing of the game. Some even went back in and edited their "review" as a way of getting back at me. Idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Nice

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is there a test after I've read the manual or is that the game?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ground floor.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The funny byline for the title is still indev.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is the hyphen in the title the line of defense?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was going to add MMO to it, but then hit the submit button. Don't see a way to change it. :(

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

derek you seem like a good father from reading the star citizen thread. any parenting tips for a new father of a baby girl? thanks in advance

god bless

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Line Of Defense -------- <---

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dusty Lens posted:

Line Of Defense -------- <---
Thanks.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Line of Defense is good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
line of defense? more like

line of excellence

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My lines are all defended, come at me if u dare

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is a Smart thread so make sure you make Smart posts.

Not dumb posts.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Favoriting this thread for the inevtable schadenfreude that will ensue.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

:gary: :yarg:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

boo this man

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

baram. posted:

boo this man
This is not a Smart post.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

sweet game

looking forward to defending some lines from upcoming aircrafts

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Hey Derek, I wrote you a PM, please check it.

I will check out your game I think, it looks like it might be fun in a TFC sort of way.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Where are the $15,000 packages?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eonwe posted:

line of defense? more like

line of excellence

more like line of defensiveness

of the developer

the joke is that derek smart is extremely defensive about his games being bad

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If we can get a bunch of goons in LOD at a set time & date I will come.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

More people have posted in this thread than are playing this game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Decrepus posted:

More people have posted in this thread than are playing this game.

Which is just fine by me or I won't have put it behind a pay wall. The game is not ready and those who have been testing it this past year since it went on EA, are responsible for helping getting it this far.

Only a complete idiot would sit around thinking that I have any interest in worrying about how many people are "playing", as opposed to how many quality people have been a part of helping me build and test it.

I've heard this same bullshit since my first game. Here I am. I didn't give a poo poo then, and I don't now. And rear end-clowns have no business being in my games anyway.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly we need a new thread for every D_<-- line of defense smart game ever I think.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I've heard bad things about every game you've made before but enjoy the work you've done whipping nerds into a frothing rage so I'll make you a deal: I will play your game and maybe review it if you give it to me for free but that's probably the only way I'll play and I won't even bring up in the review how tardy your lawsuits are

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

An excellent thread for a game with rare vision.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

I've heard this same bullshit since my first game. Here I am. I didn't give a poo poo then, and I don't now. And rear end-clowns have no business being in my games anyway.

I think of myself more of an arse-clown than an rear end-clown, and probably have no business here....

...but I really like space games.

Deep & complicated space games are good, I don't mind a learning curve, and I'm fine with crappy graphics, but it had better be loving fast crappy graphics.

I don't even mind getting unfairly killed a few times, as long as it's my fault and I can figure out *why* it's my fault. And also that there's no great cost or time involved in trying again.

I have no tolerance for a poo poo UI though, and I need to be able to bind all the controls (I'm sure there are many), 'cause I'm fussy like that.

Is this for me?

From what I've seen in the SC thread, and from what I vaguely remember from print magazines in the '90s, the 'legendary' Derek Smart is an unhinged lunatic with an ego the size of a planet, but that's no barrier to being a great creator of things, possibly even a requirement.

-------- <---

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
But where is the fidelity and shakyness?

I can't trust a game that knows where I am supposed to be, it makes me paranoid :tinfoil:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
the only way i'd give money to this game is if there was a reward package that let me meet derek smart's dick with my mouth

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!
I seriously have no idea why anyone would give money to Derek Smart.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't like the art style.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

I don't like the art style.

Yeah, it's an acquired taste.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Loving reading the reviews :tinsley:

So much Salt it's glorious :hfive:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
heh yeah. Another reason why Steam gets a bad rap. It's not just their customer service, but the ability to police this crap in the game reviews. And most of them don't even own the game, but were able to get in during the freeplay test. Others would buy the $9.99 starter kit, post a bullshit review, then get a refund.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Freshly baked. The various modes of the Portable Image Enhancer from the latest .06 game build. Including the Advanced Quantum Heat mode showing that one guy you can see through the wall due to his body heat. More here.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 7, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
...and aircraft are getting unlocked in the next large update. Here is a preview of the X22-Aurora fighter. Ignore the pilot's hands, the scene tone mapping is way off. It's the same character used in the previous shots where you can see the hands look just fine.

Just some of the graphics improvements we're working on. I tweeted some of the new character images earlier today as well.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/673980804909797378

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

I'm not into this kind of game, but that's a pretty dope space plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
The companion game, Line Of Defense Tactics (RTS) is now live on XBox One.

• Locked thread