Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

Off to a great start with the new I/P thread. Aren't there like three different offsite LF refugee forums you could go post in, instead of trying to resurrect it?

Selective quoting, with no reference to the genocidal posts these were responding to. Have you considered applying for a job at MEMRI? I don't know if you speak Arabic, but speaking with a forked tongue could be sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

Memes like "LF refugee" are banned in this thread.

says who

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

botany posted:

says who

Me, the author of this thread.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I...does it work like that?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

I...does it work like that?

I declare that it works like that now.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

Me, the author of this thread.

you're not a mod, you're a super terrible poster who's been run out of several threads though ??????

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

botany posted:

you're not a mod, you're a super terrible poster who's been run out of several threads though ??????

It's actually a probation-worthy offense to be rude in D&D now. Watch yourself.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
jokes on you, im actually very good looking.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

botany posted:

jokes on you, im actually very good looking.

I don't understand what this has to do with anything that has been said in this thread by anyone. Is this some sort of recognition signal for some asinine secret society?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Shut up Effectronica

TIC, stop posting so badly

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I don't think there will ever be a 2 state system in Israel.

The partisan polarization will lead to even worse humanitarian crimes. I mean Israel calls bombing other countries "Mowing the Lawn" That would be like if every once and a while we reoccupied the south Operation Jade-Helm is not a valid example of this:heritage:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 18, 2015

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

*holds MIGF back by his forehead, which is at arm-height, as he wildly flails his arms without reaching me*
How Israel of you

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeoMarr posted:

I don't think there will ever be a 2 state system in Israel.

I agree. Israel is one nation, the eternal homeland of Judaism.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree. Israel is one nation, the eternal homeland of Judaism.

Yeah I think Israel should look more like this

I'm okay with the jews being the vindicators of Constantinople as long as it isn't the turkish hordes

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeoMarr posted:

I'm okay with the jews being the vindicators of Constantinople as long as it isn't the turkish hordes

You forgot to include the Jewish kingdoms in Yemen and Ethiopia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My Imaginary GF posted:

You forgot to include the Jewish kingdoms in Yemen and Ethiopia.

Colonies*

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeoMarr posted:

Colonies*

Despite what revisionist muslims believe, there existed Jewish kingdoms in Ethiopia and Yemen.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Like there were all of those Jews in Egypt and they built the pyramids and poo poo.

And even by Israeli standards, Ethiopians barely are considered humans.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Like there were all of those Jews in Egypt and they built the pyramids and poo poo.

There was also a thriving Jewish community in Medina, which was ethnically cleansed to found a religion.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Nolgthorn posted:

Israel isn't committing a genocide of any kind. If they wanted to they could have done so at any time a long time ago, and probably saved themselves a lot of problems in having done it. Instead they spend extraordinary amounts of money trying to minimise casualties.

The issue isn't about whether Israel is committing genocide (assuming we use the definition of trying to destroy a race entirely rather than some of the more expansive definitions). Only a small and mostly irrelevant portion of the population advocate and support genocide against the Palestinians and there is no way that the Israeli government, awful as it is, would go ahead with it.

However what is an issue is decades of war crimes committed against the Palestinians to enable ethnic cleansing, including murder of civilians, an ongoing occupation, using children as human shields, torture, imprisonment without trial, collective punishment of entire communities and a host more offences.

quote:

Palestine is and has always been a region, not a country. Nobody declared themselves a state until 1988, more than 20 years after Israel was there. Didn't apply for international recognition until 2011.

You're missing the point again. People have the right to self-determination within recognised international norms. The Palestinians have the right to form a country. Israel does not have a right to invade other people's lands and keep them occupied for decades and living in awful suffering.

People don't support Palestine because they think Palestine is a country and that makes them specially important because only nationals of recognised countries deserve empathy, the formation of Palestine as a country is the goal because all people deserve to have freedom and basic human rights rather than living in a giant concentration camp and living their lives in suffering.

quote:

Before the campaign in Gaza Israel evacuated a huge area closest to the Israeli border, and the best places to launch rockets from. What did Hamas do, they moved back with everyone else. Into schools, into hospitals, and launched their rockets from there. Israel isn't new in the area, they underwent an incredible amount of restraint before ever doing anything other than diplomatic about the terrorism problem. Now it seems like whenever this country does anything everyone is willing to jump down their throats. They are surrounded on all sides by internationally recognised terrorist organisations, which ideologically and theologically demand the extinction of jews. Not Israel, but rather literally the extinction of jews, the ethnoreligious demographic.

Here's the relevant paragraphs from the UN's Report of the United Nations Fact-Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict 2009 (Goldstone Report)

In relation to Israel it says:

"1097. This practice constitutes the use of involuntary human shields and is a violation of article
28 of the Fourth Geneva Convention which reads: "The presence of a protected person may not
be used to render certain points or areas immune from military operations." Article 51, paragraph
7, of Additional Protocol I (set out in full in chapter VIII above) adds that "the presence or
movements of the civilian population or individual civilians shall not be used to render certain
points or areas immune from military operations, in particular in attempts to shield military
objectives from attacks or to shield, favour or impede military operations. The Parties to the
conflict shall not direct the movement of the civilian population or individual civilians in order to
attempt to shield military objectives from attacks or to shield military operations." The
prohibition of the use of human shields also has customary law status (rule 97 of the ICRC rules
of customary humanitarian law536), both in international and in non-international armed conflict.
The Mission, therefore, finds that the Israeli armed forces have violated article 28 of the Fourth
Geneva Convention and the prohibition under customary international law that the civilian
population as such will not be the object of attacks, as reflected in article 51 (2) of Additional
Protocol I."

While in relation to the Palestinians it says:

"493. The Mission finds it useful to clarify what is meant, from a legal perspective, by using
civilians or a civilian population as a human shield. Parties to a conflict are not permitted to use a
civilian population or individual civilians in order to render certain points or areas immune from
military operations. It is not in dispute that both Palestinian armed groups and Israeli forces were
fighting within an area populated by civilians. Fighting within civilian areas is not, by itself,
sufficient for a finding that a party is using the civilian population living in the area of the
fighting as a human shield. As the words of article 57 (1) show ("shall not be used to render",
"in order to attempt to shield"), an intention to use the civilian population in order to shield an
area from military attack is required."

"494. From the information available to it, the Mission found no evidence to suggest that
Palestinian armed groups either directed civilians to areas where attacks were being launched or
forced civilians to remain within the vicinity of the attacks.
"

I mean the IDF has literally argued in court that they should be allowed to use human shields, trying to make the arguement that "THE TURRURISTS USE HOOMAN SHIELDS" is really shooting yourself in the foot because Israel doing this is a well documented fact while no-one ever seems to have discovered any evidence of Hamas doing this.

For your reference, and again quoting the Goldstone report:

"Fighting within civilian areas is not, by itself,
sufficient for a finding that a party is using the civilian population living in the area of the
fighting as a human shield. As the words of article 57 (1) show (“shall not be used to render”,
“in order to attempt to shield”), an intention to use the civilian population in order to shield an
area from military attack is required.""

To further clarify I'll look to the 2015 report where Pnina Sharvit-Baruch, a researcher at the Institute for National Security Studies, and former Head of the International Law Department of the IDF Military Advocate General is quoted as saying:

"In a scenario like the Gaza Strip you cannot expect the other side or demand the other side to act only from empty areas, to go out of all the populated areas, fire only from there or from the beach area when no people are there, it’s not something that is expected. Therefore to say that the fact that they are operating from populated areas, in itself is a war crime or is in breach of the law of armed conflict, is not a plausible argument (...)"

Your expectation that Hamas should march out into barren desert like 18th century line infantry is frankly stupid and bizarre. Urban warfare is almost as old as human civilisation and it is not inherently wrong or criminal. Soldiers specifically shielding themselves with civilians is and this is something that so far we only know that Israel is guilty of.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Look at how careless Hamas are, provoking Israel to respond in self defence against foreign attack. If Palestinians do not halt these attacks wherever and whenever they occur, then they are guilty of participating in those attacks and will be treated as enemy combatants without consideration for any other factors.

There are no shades of grey in enemy combatant status; it is a binary issue.

Just look at the current antisemitic knifing epidemic in Israel and the response of Israelis when a knifing occurs: that is the response necessary of Palestinians whenever a terrorist attack occurs in order to halt those attacks. Until such a time as Palestinians are able to stop terrorist attacks without Israeli intervention, Palestine will never develop.

Wrong about some very very basic stuff here.

Enemy combatant status is binary, but not stopping attacks specifically does not make Palestinians as a whole enemy combatants. The people actually responsible for launching the attacks are enemy combatants but the people who are suffering are disproportionately not those combatant. They're the people who live in occupied palestinian territories and don't involve themselves in attacks, which is to say are civilians. They are not required to make an effort to halt acts that they aren't engaged in and your excuse does not rationalise what you want it to, which is to say massive war crimes against civilians.

Your argument is either based on ignorance and you're not recognising the civilians affected or worse you're making the same kind of argument that supports the My Lai massacre and similar war crimes against civilians in Vietnam. The civilian population weren't stopping the Vietcong and were sometimes even giving support like food and shelter. It didn't make them legitimate targets then and it doesn't make the Palestinians legitimate targets now, any more than you're a legitimate military target for funding and supporting your country's military through the taxes you pay and the labour you provide.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

Are these the borders of the Ottoman Empire, or what am I looking at?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A really wicked skull-headed bird

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
An Olympic sprinter.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The whole jewish people being enslaved and forced to build the pyramids has been debunked for quite a while now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Medieval Medic posted:

The whole jewish people being enslaved and forced to build the pyramids has been debunked for quite a while now.

:thejoke:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

W/R/T whether it's genocide or not and what genocide really is, Israel is already exterminating the Palestinians. All they have to do is continue their current policies and Gaza will be completely annihilated in 50 years. This is not mere oppression, it is Generalplan Ost in slow motion.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

W/R/T whether it's genocide or not and what genocide really is, Israel is already exterminating the Palestinians. All they have to do is continue their current policies and Gaza will be completely annihilated in 50 years. This is not mere oppression, it is Generalplan Ost in slow motion.

You wanna make a bet on that?

Because Gaza will still be there in 50 years.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My Imaginary GF posted:

You wanna make a bet on that?

Because Gaza will still be there in 50 years.

As an Israeli colony with how the liberation has been going so far

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

As an Israeli colony with how the liberation has been going so far

Well it worked out for Bajor.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Iowa Snow King posted:

Well it worked out for Bajor.

I would 100% buy Bibi as Dukat and that when push comes to shove he will try to summon the Pah-wraiths to destroy Palestine.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is the United States the Dominion then?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Woolie Wool posted:

This sort of comment helps to demonstrate just how divorced from reality the extremist anti-Zionist fringe truly is. Would you like me to project out population growth in the Gaza Strip and West Bank to show you how absurd an idea that is? Are you honestly ignorant that the Palestinian Territories have some of the highest population growth rates in the world? Gaza's last year was 2.91%, the 13th highest in the world. Does collision with reality alter your opinion whatsoever, or will you assert this is evidence that the Zionists are just sitting back and letting the Palestinian population expand so there will be more to slaughter in the future?

On a related note, this seems as good a place as any to introduce Robert Wistrich's theory that one of the hallmarks of ideological 'new antisemitism' is the rhetorical equation of Zionism with Nazism.

quote:

Even though the current banner may be "antiracist" and the defamation is being carried out today in the name of human rights, all the red lines have clearly been crossed. For example, "anti-Zionists" who insist on comparing Zionism and the Jews with Hitler and the Third Reich appear unmistakably to be de facto anti-Semites, even if they vehemently deny the fact! This is largely because they knowingly exploit the reality that Nazism in the postwar world has become the defining metaphor of absolute evil. For if Zionists are "Nazis" and if Sharon really is Hitler, then it becomes a moral obligation to wage war against Israel. That is the bottom line of much contemporary anti-Zionism. In practice, this has become the most potent form of contemporary anti-Semitism.
http://www.jcpa.org/phas/phas-wistrich-f04.htm

I admit I find the argument somewhat compelling.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

LeoMarr posted:

That would be like if every once and a while we reoccupied the south

Go on.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

This sort of comment helps to demonstrate just how divorced from reality the extremist anti-Zionist fringe truly is. Would you like me to project out population growth in the Gaza Strip and West Bank to show you how absurd an idea that is? Are you honestly ignorant that the Palestinian Territories have some of the highest population growth rates in the world? Gaza's last year was 2.91%, the 13th highest in the world. Does collision with reality alter your opinion whatsoever, or will you assert this is evidence that the Zionists are just sitting back and letting the Palestinian population expand so there will be more to slaughter in the future?

On a related note, this seems as good a place as any to introduce Robert Wistrich's theory that one of the hallmarks of ideological 'new antisemitism' is the rhetorical equation of Zionism with Nazism.

The obsession with the fecundity of the subjected peoples is a hallmark of the racist. The "virile Latin", "where all the white women at?", "we must preserve the existence of our people and a future for White children." It's a critical part of the reduction of the subaltern to a bestial status.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

The Insect Court posted:

or will you assert this is evidence that the Zionists are just sitting back and letting the Palestinian population expand so there will be more to slaughter in the future?

Isn't there a quote from an IDF or government official calling their operations in Gaza "mowing the lawn" or am I getting my fascists mixed up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can someone explain the similarities / differences between the BDS movement and the Palestinian Authority's boycott of products made beyond the green line? Differences / similarities in causes / aims?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

If two people formed a country and had a kid they'd have a 50% growth rate for that year.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Posted in the DaD chat a few days ago, but we'll be in Tel Aviv tomorrow (Sunday) and would love to talk politics with sane (relatively speaking) goon. Anyone local down for a meetup?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Effectronica posted:

The obsession with the fecundity of the subjected peoples is a hallmark of the racist. The "virile Latin", "where all the white women at?", "we must preserve the existence of our people and a future for White children." It's a critical part of the reduction of the subaltern to a bestial status.

It doesn't matter how many babies they have when there is no longer any clean water or food for the babies nor any way to shelter them from the elements. The people of Gaza are going to die en masse if the current policies continue. Gaza is slowly becoming uninhabitable.

spoon0042 posted:

Isn't there a quote from an IDF or government official calling their operations in Gaza "mowing the lawn" or am I getting my fascists mixed up.

You are correct.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Woolie Wool posted:

Is the United States the Dominion then?

the US sure as hell isn't the Federation