Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I updated the OP with some info posted in the thread and what I have found on the official forums. Let us know if I messed up any info or you have more cool updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Rufus posted:

If it's real time I hope the developers are all forced to inject Krokodil daily as penance for their crimes.

Not turn based with tactical ship to ship combat? No deal. DOSBOX still lets me Moo2 and Warlords 2 so they have to earn my money. :argh:

same. i still play MOO2 (and Space Empires 4) on the regular, thanks to DOS Box, so all these new 4X games have to compete with the masters.

i'm the sort of guy who plays rogue-likes and enjoys the ASCII graphics, all i care about is the game logic running underneath. taking the concept of MOO, slapping on a clunky 3D engine, and then half assing the underlying mechanics is not the way to get me to buy your game. yeah ok, I know making a real-time combat engine is 100X easier, it takes a lot more time and effort to properly balance a turn based tactical combat system. i don't care that it's harder, put the work in if you want to make a game i will be playing 10 years from now. if your not looking to make such a game, then don't tarnish the MOO name further!

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Welcome to GBS, thread.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AHH FUGH posted:

Welcome to GBS, thread.

It was created in GBS.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

It was created in GBS.

For ever and ever, amen.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

SirTagz posted:

I updated the OP with some info posted in the thread and what I have found on the official forums. Let us know if I messed up any info or you have more cool updates
Just FYI a whole bunch of info is being posted today and later this week. Here's the new Early Access teaser video posted today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKP4niGewxo

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

nnnotime posted:

Just FYI a whole bunch of info is being posted today and later this week. Here's the new Early Access teaser video posted today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKP4niGewxo

Thanks, added that to the links.

Where will the new info be posted? Forums or main site? I know that early access is starting soon but I was not aware of any reveals before that. I guess it makes sense to build hype.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

SirTagz posted:

Thanks, added that to the links.

Where will the new info be posted? Forums or main site? I know that early access is starting soon but I was not aware of any reveals before that. I guess it makes sense to build hype.
By your command :awesomelon:
So far a lot of the info is going up in the main Orion forums, both US and Russian. Here's the US forum if you want to place in your IP. One of the moderators named GeneralDirection is posting answers to game questions both on the official Orion forums and the Steam Community forums (link below).

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/forum/13-master-of-orion-conquer-the-stars/

Also here's a very thorough interview with Chris Keeling, who is the Director of Product Vision at Wargaming (out of Austin), and apparently had a lot of say into this project from the beginning. So far I'm confused who was really in charge of making this game.

http://explorminate.net/2016/02/23/strategic-expanse-chris-keeling-of-wargaming/

Keeling gives an explanation for some of controversial design decisions, like having RTS combat over turn-based, and the rational why they went with Starlanes. It's about a 50 minute interview but if you are a fan of the game or 4X it's a good one to listen to. I initially wanted both turn-based and no Starlanes, but from what described their design choices sound good, so I am hopeful and optimistic.

Here's the ship design article (i.e., Ship Blueprint Editor) with lots of screenshots that went out today, posted on the Steam forums. They may continue to place gameplay guides on Steam for now until they come up with some other place:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/298050/announcements/detail/970893970540474057

Supposedly a video on tactical combat may come out on Wednesday.

The Darlok posted:

this is a game i'd like to play
FYI, sorry, friend: I heard from the Keeling interview above that Espionage won't be in the Early Access release, so I guess that means your race won't be there, yet.

#DarlokLivesMatter

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i mean, i'm not buying another moo game until i get a personal apology for moo3. that's a non-negotiable. they have to say they're sorry about master of orion 3. they have to say they are sorry for being lovely people who made a lovely game and have poo poo for brains, okay?

Is that a cow in your custom title?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Also, this guy is one of the lucky few that will be streaming the Early Access version on Wednesday. I think he's in Europe so the stream should start a few hours after my post on twitch:

http://www.twitch.tv/paradogsgamer

There's two other people listed as streaming, but I don't know their channels (copied from the official forums):

Explorimate (Post on forums) Tomorrow EST (I posted their interview link above)
Someone named Lulaboo Jenkins (via Twitter)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nnnotime posted:

http://explorminate.net/2016/02/23/strategic-expanse-chris-keeling-of-wargaming/

Keeling gives an explanation for some of controversial design decisions, like having RTS combat over turn-based, and the rational why they went with Starlanes. It's about a 50 minute interview but if you are a fan of the game or 4X it's a good one to listen to. I initially wanted both turn-based and no Starlanes, but from what described their design choices sound good, so I am hopeful and optimistic.

this is a good interview, i can see the design direction they are coming from with the changes. I can't say i totally with them about the star lanes, it sounds like they just wanted to take a shortcut on the AI design.

you can make maps with choke points and strategic depth in MoO2, there are three stellar objects that do just that: Nebula slow down ships movement, and disrupt shields, black holes block travel entirely, and wormholes are basically star lanes! if they went with this system they could have an even more interesting galaxy generation system, where you can make more or less strategic choke points by increasing/decreasing wormhole and blackhole sliders.

Edit: oh god, his reasoning for the real-time battles is horrible "they are real-time because obviously every battle is going to be a one sided slug fest, so we may as well make it real-time so that it looks cool" No, jeez! If every battle is turning out one sided that means you have balanced you game poorly, not that strategic battles are pointless :eng99:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 24, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
seems like the new guys just don't get moo?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Real Foogla posted:

seems like the new guys just don't get moo?

i can tell after listening to that interview that i won't like the new MOO. their design philosophy is just entirely different than what i am looking for, the only way they would produce the game i'm after is by accident. the guy bashes board games as boring! come on buddy, this is a turn based strategy game, you should be looking to board games for inspiration

the Stars in Shadow developers on the other hand, are the exact opposite! This guys engine started as a clone of the MoO2 turn based combat system, and he built up the rest of the game around that base. he cares about all the same things i care about in a 4X game, including really solid interface design (in the functional sense, not the flashy graphics sense, which every modern 4X goes with):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRHK28hjcc

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 24, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

this is a good interview, i can see the design direction they are coming from with the changes. I can't say i totally with them about the star lanes, it sounds like they just wanted to take a shortcut on the AI design.

you can make maps with choke points and strategic depth in MoO2, there are three stellar objects that do just that: Nebula slow down ships movement, and disrupt shields, black holes block travel entirely, and wormholes are basically star lanes! if they went with this system they could have an even more interesting galaxy generation system, where you can make more or less strategic choke points by increasing/decreasing wormhole and blackhole sliders.

Edit: oh god, his reasoning for the real-time battles is horrible "they are real-time because obviously every battle is going to be a one sided slug fest, so we may as well make it real-time so that it looks cool" No, jeez! If every battle is turning out one sided that means you have balanced you game poorly, not that strategic battles are pointless :eng99:
lol at the concept of balanced 4X design that follows in the footsteps of MOO2, literally one of the worst-balanced games in history.

That whole design is a dead end that has made games worse for years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

lol at the concept of balanced 4X design that follows in the footsteps of MOO2, literally one of the worst-balanced games in history.

That whole design is a dead end that has made games worse for years.

you take that back, MOO2 is the picture of balance :argh:

not the sterile "everything is equally boring" kind of balance, but the delicate ethereal kind of balance you can only get from a lot of solid play testing. i will agree it's not the best multiplayer game, but i think it more than makes up for that with the single player experience. after all, it was never meant to be a totally competitive game, like Star Craft or something. the AIs role-play to an extent, MOO2 is meant to be a galactic emperor experience generator not a perfectly balanced strategy game, and at that it succeeds admirably.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
did anyone ever update vga planets?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
q: what's underneath orion's belt?
a: big ol' space dong

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm still looking forward to Stellaris :colbert:

(that stars in shadow game looks good but I'm never pre-ordering any game again)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I played moo2 and moo3 and endless space and frankly i like endless legend better than civ 5 and civ:be but i hate hexes and i hate all that space poo poo. Give me square tiles, stacked units, and automated workers.

gently caress it i'm just going to install alpha centauri instead and laugh at everyone who wants to design a billion iterations of a space ship and conquer the space dot adjacent to one of the cat people space dots.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

deirdre you bitch you will respect the territory of chairman yang or i will nerve staple you myself and rid you of your fantasies of playing as cat people in space 4x games

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

deirdre you bitch you will respect the territory of chairman yang or i will nerve staple you myself and rid you of your fantasies of playing as cat people in space 4x games

if you play a game of Civilization -> Alpha Centuri -> Master of Orion 2 in that order, its like playing Spore, but good. the storys of each game all pick up where the other leaves off, it works out thematically quite well. you can stick Sim Earth in there before Civilization, but i think thats optional

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to conquer the stars.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

if you play a game of Civilization -> Alpha Centuri -> Master of Orion 2 in that order, its like playing Spore, but good. the storys of each game all pick up where the other leaves off, it works out thematically quite well. you can stick Sim Earth in there before Civilization, but i think thats optional

This is heresy, but here's how much i really don't like how space 4x typically handles combat and expansion: I prefer the intergalactic part of spore way the gently caress over what it is in Endless Space/moo/almost all that poo poo. This may come to me not wanting to invest the time to understand it. I still don't quite understand the finer points of alpha centauri customization, but there is enough hand holding that it usually doesn't matter. I don't want to need reference materials to be able to play a game. I never have. The only one I put up with that poo poo for, was Eve Online, and that's only because Eve Goons were, at the time, really happy to flat out tell me what to avoid and what exactly to do to have fun, and do as little un fun things as possible. And I regret the time I've put in that game, because it's bad. There's a certain kind of learning curve, and maybe it's invisible to people who grew up with the genre, but it's not a learning curve like Homeworld, or playing tryhards in Starcraft battlenet, but it's one of seemingly dense amounts of not-necessarily straight-forward information.

The Endless series has some gems, but those are Dungeon Of The Endless, basically a tower defense, and Endless Legend, and I really like Alpha Centauri, and Civ 4 was pretty drat OK. That's all I can say for 4x games.

MOO2 was played too late in my life. I was a child discovering RTS games through warcraft 1/2 and especially, and moreso, C&C, in that era of gaming. Maybe that's the problem. But I'm still going to talk poo poo about games of space faring cat people because that's another side of it i can't take seriously, and i'm glad that at least Endless Space's races don't follow the star trek formula of Basically A Human With Reptile, Feline, or Canine traits, a hive mind, although i think it does have a hive mind, it's been a year or since i've given a poo poo though.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

so i watched some of that stream and i dont like the voice acting i wanna do my own in my head

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

This is heresy, but here's how much i really don't like how space 4x typically handles combat and expansion: I prefer the intergalactic part of spore way the gently caress over what it is in Endless Space/moo/almost all that poo poo. This may come to me not wanting to invest the time to understand it. I still don't quite understand the finer points of alpha centauri customization, but there is enough hand holding that it usually doesn't matter. I don't want to need reference materials to be able to play a game. I never have. The only one I put up with that poo poo for, was Eve Online, and that's only because Eve Goons were, at the time, really happy to flat out tell me what to avoid and what exactly to do to have fun, and do as little un fun things as possible. And I regret the time I've put in that game, because it's bad. There's a certain kind of learning curve, and maybe it's invisible to people who grew up with the genre, but it's not a learning curve like Homeworld, or playing tryhards in Starcraft battlenet, but it's one of seemingly dense amounts of not-necessarily straight-forward information.

The Endless series has some gems, but those are Dungeon Of The Endless, basically a tower defense, and Endless Legend, and I really like Alpha Centauri, and Civ 4 was pretty drat OK. That's all I can say for 4x games.

MOO2 was played too late in my life. I was a child discovering RTS games through warcraft 1/2 and especially, and moreso, C&C, in that era of gaming. Maybe that's the problem. But I'm still going to talk poo poo about games of space faring cat people because that's another side of it i can't take seriously, and i'm glad that at least Endless Space's races don't follow the star trek formula of Basically A Human With Reptile, Feline, or Canine traits, a hive mind, although i think it does have a hive mind, it's been a year or since i've given a poo poo though.

:shrug: to each their own, but i honestly found MOO2 to be a lot easier to learn than Alpha Centauri

I don't mind sci-fi cat people, just for the fact that any actual alien life we encounter would be so alien that just communicating with it would be a game of its own. though i wouldn't mind seeing a sci-fi setting that take place in the year 100,000, after humans have colonized the galaxy and there's differant species of us running around everywhere.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

nnnotime posted:

So far a lot of the info is going up in the main Orion forums, both US and Russian. Here's the US forum if you want to place in your IP. One of the moderators named GeneralDirection is posting answers to game questions both on the official Orion forums and the Steam Community forums (link below).

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/forum/13-master-of-orion-conquer-the-stars/

Also here's a very thorough interview with Chris Keeling, who is the Director of Product Vision at Wargaming (out of Austin), and apparently had a lot of say into this project from the beginning. So far I'm confused who was really in charge of making this game.

Thanks for sharing. I liked the podcast a lot, even if I did not agree with all that was said. I wonder how they will make the tactical battles work with multiplayer. If they allow pausing, it can have lovely side-effects but not allowing pausing will alienate a lot of the older crowd who like to take things nice and slow, thinking twice about their every decision. From the game playthrough streams (part 1, part 2, part 3), single player combat seemed ok-ish, even if buggy.

Rutibex posted:

I don't mind sci-fi cat people, just for the fact that any actual alien life we encounter would be so alien that just communicating with it would be a game of its own.

I have to agree. Using existing animals as base classes makes it easier and more fun for people to relate to them. We like anthropomorphising them anyways, now they just graduate to level 3+. A liquid alien lifeform bubbling in bottle as a response in a diplo-screen may be creative and such but I take a nice lizard over that any day.

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 25, 2016

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Mozi posted:

q: what's underneath orion's belt?
a: big ol' space dong

"A big honking space gun."

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Early access now available on Steam. Downloading...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao this is $50????

Everything about it up to this point looked and felt like like a $20 title and that sounded ok to me I guess.

lmao fifty loving dollars good grief. See you next Christmas sale bitches!!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

lmao this is $50????

Everything about it up to this point looked and felt like like a $20 title and that sounded ok to me I guess.

lmao fifty loving dollars good grief. See you next Christmas sale bitches!!!

voice actors cost money, i bet more money then they spent on the actual game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Psilons voiced by Tom Vasel.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

So I played the early access version for a couple of hours. The game feels unfinished with missing and some poorly implemented features, but it is stable and I must admit, fun. I never had it crash or freeze on me, and I was playing on highest settings. I was also unable to stop playing despite it being 2 hours past my usual sleep-time and it being a workday tomorrow. It certainly has that 'one more turn' thing going on for itself.

Putting aside the missing features which I knew would not be in this version, the most sobering aspect of the game was the tactical combat. While it was somewhat enjoyable, I was fighting the controls more than I was fighting the enemy. The ships all just auto attack the closest opponent, storming in their direction.. You can give them a new 'move' target but when they reach it, they charge the enemy again. Which means that if you want to keep your distance you need to constantly micromanage the fuckers. The cinematic mode and 'pre-render level graphics' were neither cinematic nor high quality. But they did the job. I played most of the time max zoomed out anyways (there does not seem to be any reason to zoom in at all)

Another thing which really bugged me was some scrolling bug on the main galaxy map, but I am confident they will solve that soon enough.

There was only one difficulty level to choose from (maybe because it was my first game, i dont know), and the AI has not shown any teeth nor deep thinking yet. It allowed my to block off a nice corner of the galaxy and slowly backfill it with colonies while staying on friendly terms with me, never trying to attack. Maybe the Human's 'diplomat' perk is OP, dont know. Some AI on AI wars were reported in the turn status updates but I never saw any action against anyone but the pirates.

I did not try multiplayer yet.

Is it worth 50$ at this stage? For the majority of people, absolutely not. But to the 4x fans like me who have been waiting for a new MOO for 10 years, there is plenty of fun to be had and I do not regret my purchase one bit (yet anyways). I guess it depends on how quickly the current feature-set will get stale and how frequently they will update.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What is thr tech system like

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

SirTagz posted:

So I played the early access version for a couple of hours. The game feels unfinished with missing and some poorly implemented features, but it is stable and I must admit, fun. I never had it crash or freeze on me, and I was playing on highest settings. I was also unable to stop playing despite it being 2 hours past my usual sleep-time and it being a workday tomorrow. It certainly has that 'one more turn' thing going on for itself.

Putting aside the missing features which I knew would not be in this version, the most sobering aspect of the game was the tactical combat. While it was somewhat enjoyable, I was fighting the controls more than I was fighting the enemy. The ships all just auto attack the closest opponent, storming in their direction.. You can give them a new 'move' target but when they reach it, they charge the enemy again. Which means that if you want to keep your distance you need to constantly micromanage the fuckers. The cinematic mode and 'pre-render level graphics' were neither cinematic nor high quality. But they did the job. I played most of the time max zoomed out anyways (there does not seem to be any reason to zoom in at all)

Another thing which really bugged me was some scrolling bug on the main galaxy map, but I am confident they will solve that soon enough.

There was only one difficulty level to choose from (maybe because it was my first game, i dont know), and the AI has not shown any teeth nor deep thinking yet. It allowed my to block off a nice corner of the galaxy and slowly backfill it with colonies while staying on friendly terms with me, never trying to attack. Maybe the Human's 'diplomat' perk is OP, dont know. Some AI on AI wars were reported in the turn status updates but I never saw any action against anyone but the pirates.

I did not try multiplayer yet.

Is it worth 50$ at this stage? For the majority of people, absolutely not. But to the 4x fans like me who have been waiting for a new MOO for 10 years, there is plenty of fun to be had and I do not regret my purchase one bit (yet anyways). I guess it depends on how quickly the current feature-set will get stale and how frequently they will update.

Already better than Moo3 at release.

Yes, back the in the day I pre-ordered it and subsequently never pre-ordered something again :smith:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
More like Conquer the Pricetag lol $50. As AVGN would say, "WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING!?"

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

SirTagz posted:

So I played the early access version for a couple of hours....
Thanks for the nice review. I went ahead and ordered it, too, though the tactical combat issues still nag at me.

On the AI, Chris Keeling (Product Vision guy, maybe that's a lead designer) said in the interview that the AI will get polished through the early access stage, so at least they admitted already it's incomplete.

Those are the two biggest risks to the game's longevity at this point: incomplete or bad AI and simplified tactical combat. Hopefully the clunky interface issues will also get worked on.

One of the WGA forum guys said they will be looking for feedback primarily in special threads only accessible to EA purchasers at Steam and GOG. I'll try to give some simple and intelligent feedback when I get a chance next week.

On the bright side, at least the Collectors Edition comes with MOO1 and MOO2, so don't have to fiddle with DosBox to get them to run. If this MOO4 turns into a dud I can always try MOO2, as I never was able to get the hang of it like MOO1.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
are they still updating that fan patch for moo1? last i heard it was on ver 1.40M

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

SirTagz posted:

Also agree with SirTagz. After trying it the game is not worth $50 at this point (for the Collector's Edition). All the basic gameplay seems to work OK but it does lack polish. Perhaps check up on the game monthly to see if they consider the first full version complete.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

A Mighty Pirate posted:

Never pay more than twenty bucks for a videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

What is thr tech system like

It is very similar to Civ as far as I have seen.

The difference from Civ is that:
1. There are supposedly some technologies which are not on the tree
2. There are some race specific technologies
3. Not all technologies can be selected. I have not seen it but reportedly there is(or will be) tech tree branching where you can select only one of several available technologies and choosing one, blocks the research of others

• Locked thread