Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

SirTagz posted:

It is very similar to Civ as far as I have seen.

The difference from Civ is that:
1. There are supposedly some technologies which are not on the tree
2. There are some race specific technologies
3. Not all technologies can be selected. I have not seen it but reportedly there is(or will be) tech tree branching where you can select only one of several available technologies and choosing one, blocks the research of others

So if I'm interpreting the tree properly, in the upper right you can choose EITHER Deep space exploration, OR Economics OR Xeno Relations? Or do you get all those at the same time, or do you research them each individually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

EasternBronze posted:

So if I'm interpreting the tree properly, in the upper right you can choose EITHER Deep space exploration, OR Economics OR Xeno Relations? Or do you get all those at the same time, or do you research them each individually?

For now, the tree you see in the linked image works exactly as in Civ. You need to research the techs on the left to be able to research the ones on the right. Connecting lines being the hard pre-requisites. I am not sure if the 'choose one of several' tech choices are currently in the tree. I have not reached very far yet. But it has been stated that such a choice will certainly be there. I am not sure how it will be displayed in the UI though.

So ATM in this situation, you can research all three of the listed technologies, one after another.

Edit: For those not checking the OP... Early access has been stated to run AT LEAST till May 2016. Exact cutoff date is not determined and depends on user feedback, developments. They have dedicated forums set up and the first request/problem list goes to the developers on Monday

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 26, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

EasternBronze posted:

No it's "research each one individually, lines are pre-reqs" like normal. Your confusions stems from SirTagz amazing decision to describe a system featuring shifting/randomized/whatever non-standard tech lines and then post a screenshot that doesn't display said system at all. Top tier posting.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SirTagz posted:

It is very similar to Civ as far as I have seen.

The difference from Civ is that:
1. There are supposedly some technologies which are not on the tree
2. There are some race specific technologies
3. Not all technologies can be selected. I have not seen it but reportedly there is(or will be) tech tree branching where you can select only one of several available technologies and choosing one, blocks the research of others

So it's not randomized? Laaaaaaame

Edit:nm

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

No it's "research each one individually, lines are pre-reqs" like normal. Your confusions stems from SirTagz amazing decision to describe a system featuring shifting/randomized/whatever non-standard tech lines and then post a screenshot that doesn't display said system at all. Top tier posting.

Sorry, next time I will draw some arrows and flowers onto the screenshot to illustrate how I imagine things will look like once they get implemented

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

Unlike Galactic Civilizations 3 it wasn't developed by a raging misogynist.

Seriously?

Who the gently caress cares. If a game is good then it's good. Galciv3 was pretty good, hopefully this will be better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

Seriously?

Who the gently caress cares.

Not me, that's for sure. I'm just making joke posts in a GBS thread. I forgot I'd even posted that and thought you were false quoting me at first.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
About tactical combat, I got MOO2 for the first time earlier this year, and I found it aged better than I would have thought. But I seriously cannot stand the turn based combat, I don't really see what the appeal is. It doesn't do a very good job at conveying information to the player, the combat interface is pretty bad and there's a lot of stuff I cannot figure out how to activate or use properly. Additionally in the late game when both sides have a lot of ships the battles go on so drat long. Nowadays I just turn off the combat and I swear the amount of time it takes to finish a game has been reduced by two thirds.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

there's a lot of stuff I cannot figure out how to activate or use properly.

is this the games fault?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Choking Antaran scouts with hundreds of dead marines on the hope of capturing their tech super early is one of my favorite memories of MoO II. I'd design ships full of troop pods to rush-build for the first few raids and just hit them with suicide waves. It was always heartbreaking to capture a ship and then have it activate the self-destruct. 50% chance of that, I think.

E: my regular ships would shoot the Antarans until they were immobile and then back off.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 29, 2016

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

khwarezm posted:

About tactical combat, I got MOO2 for the first time earlier this year, and I found it aged better than I would have thought. But I seriously cannot stand the turn based combat, I don't really see what the appeal is. It doesn't do a very good job at conveying information to the player, the combat interface is pretty bad and there's a lot of stuff I cannot figure out how to activate or use properly. Additionally in the late game when both sides have a lot of ships the battles go on so drat long. Nowadays I just turn off the combat and I swear the amount of time it takes to finish a game has been reduced by two thirds.

I was and still am a pretty hardcore Moo2 fan but I have to agree with you. Having to move every single ship turn by turn every turn is kind of sluggish. It is and was fun in Moo2 but expecting exactly the same mechanic 20 years later is kind of closed mindset. If people are so stuck in their old ways, nothing will appease them beyond a re-skin of Moo2 but leaving all the mechanics intact.

I personally think that when they stick to the middle-ground of pausing the RTS at regular intervals and calling these pauses as 'turns', it will be an improvement over Moo2. People's expectations vary, naturally. But even if we leave out the 'turn' aspect of it, the tactical combat right now is a complete mess. They seriously need to iterate on it and I am sure they will. I actually think they deliberately put out the early access tactical combat as bare bones as possible, to see what the community will whine about most. It is hard to believe anyone would think this is sufficient for a MOO game.

Saying that, I have been playing the EA through the weekend and I see great potential there. While it is still buggy and lacks many features, the game atmosphere is more akin to MOO2 than anything I have seen since. If you are a 4x fan and disagree with me, please also list your best 'moo like' experience since Moo2.. perhaps I have missed something good.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Choking Antaran scouts with hundreds of dead marines on the hope of capturing their tech super early is one of my favorite memories of MoO II. I'd design ships full of troop pods to rush-build for the first few raids and just hit them with suicide waves. It was always heartbreaking to capture a ship and then have it activate the self-destruct. 50% chance of that, I think.

E: my regular ships would shoot the Antarans until they were immobile and then back off.

Hell yes, I loved that. The chances were bloody abysmal for me and I usually lost the bet.. it was really exciting to try and pull it off sometimes. Yeah, they self destructed at a 50% chance when being captured. They also self destructed when immobilized at the beginning of their turn so you needed to pull off the capture on the same turn you shot off their engines. Became a bit easier with tractor beams but that was a bit later

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 29, 2016

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Early Access reviews are devestating

Onkel Hedwig fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 29, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MOO2 is one of the greatest games of all times, and through great art direction and simple but engaging mechanics still stands up as pretty playable today, IMO.

Does MOO4 have the option to start "Pre-Warp" like 2? I loved moving the starting line back and playing a tech-savvy race just to get that much further ahead.

I will maybe buy it when it is done, because buying games before they are finished is probably the greatest grift of the videogame consumer ever perpetrated, and we're just gulping it down time after time.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Otisburg posted:

MOO2 is one of the greatest games of all times, and through great art direction and simple but engaging mechanics still stands up as pretty playable today, IMO.

Does MOO4 have the option to start "Pre-Warp" like 2? I loved moving the starting line back and playing a tech-savvy race just to get that much further ahead.

I will maybe buy it when it is done, because buying games before they are finished is probably the greatest grift of the videogame consumer ever perpetrated, and we're just gulping it down time after time.

No pre-warp start. No advanced start either.. just the one 'base' option for now.

Smart move regarding waiting for a completed release. I am sure they will polish it into a decent product but ATM most people will not enjoy the experience

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SirTagz posted:

No pre-warp start. No advanced start either.. just the one 'base' option for now.

Smart move regarding waiting for a completed release. I am sure they will polish it into a decent product but ATM most people will not enjoy the experience

Kind of bummed I can't just legit buy Moo2 a la carte in the meantime.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Otisburg posted:

Kind of bummed I can't just legit buy Moo2 a la carte in the meantime.

I am not sure what you mean by a la carte here, but MOO2 is available on GoG for 5.99$

If you plan on getting the 'standard' edition of MOO4 later (as opposed to the 'collectors' edition which includes all older MOO versions), you would not even have to worry about several copies of MOO2 (but more MOO2 is always better, so why limit yourself)

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 29, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SirTagz posted:

I am not sure what you mean by a la carte here, but MOO2 is available on GoG for 5.99$

Ah, I was looking on steam and only saw it bundled with the unfinished one.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Otisburg posted:

Ah, I was looking on steam and only saw it bundled with the unfinished one.

Yeah, that's a terrible deal http://store.steampowered.com/app/298050

45 bucks :lol:

I would consider buying it if it was sub 20. Their Early Access price is waay to high.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Keep in mind that it isn't like "cult" or anything, but it has been so long that the kind of people who would spend $$$$ on an unfinished Master of Orion game sight-unseen are hardcore fans of the original games, and those people have kind of broken brains as you can see in this thread.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Onkel Hedwig posted:

45 bucks :lol:

I would consider buying it if it was sub 20. Their Early Access price is waay to high.

Yeah, its too high for early access. For me the price for the current state of the game is something like 10$. If they clean up all the bugs and minor broken features it goes up to about 20$. If they implement the missing features and fix the bloody tactical combat, it would become a real successor to Moo2 and be worth the 40-60$ or whatever they plan to ask.

jBrereton posted:

Keep in mind that it isn't like "cult" or anything, but it has been so long that the kind of people who would spend $$$$ on an unfinished Master of Orion game sight-unseen are hardcore fans of the original games, and those people have kind of broken brains as you can see in this thread.

Could you spell it out for me why we have broken brains. I am not arguing the fact mind you.. but perhaps just because of the reason I kind of need you to make it simple for me.

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 29, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Why is it the board games Eclipse and Twilight Imperium (3) are the only things or properly scratch the Moo itch?

And why isn't Ti a computer game since in boardgame form it's designed to take an entire goddamn weekend to play. Which is sad because I like to play as the Space Turtle people. When I played a few times I took out a little Gamera figurine to show my solidarity with the Space Turtle heritage and whine when I'm not allowed to play the Space Turtles.

( Eclipse I had like store high score with the alien race that is pals with the NOT ANTARANS I think. Or was it the ones that just like to blow everyone up? Black pieces iirc. I normally play the Blue Science dudes in the iPad version. Much like the boardgame I tend to ignore everyone and do science unless they gently caress with me and then I make my game objective to annoy them until they repent at keeping me from my idiot science goals. Oddly enough my high score game was based around mostly playing Bards Tale on a Kindle Fire as to keep my mouth shut for more than 5 minutes. I kinda bought an iPad Air because it had Eclipse.)

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Heard a funny (haha not really) thing. GoG and Steam multiplayer networking logic is supposedly not compatible. If you buy the game on GoG, you have to play with friends who also bought it on GoG. I assume this is not a permanent feature. If it is. loving lol.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Onkel Hedwig posted:

not too surprising

you average gamer has been conditioned to think that early access basically means 'feature complete'

the moment i saw MOO4 show up for early access without a bunch of stuff that will be included in the complete product, i knew it was going to get bombarded with WORST GAME, WORSE THAN MOO3, WHERE ARE THE MEKLARS, OBVIOUSLY UNFINISHED RIP-OFF reviews

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

To be honest I was expecting the steam reviews to be way more negative given everything. A lot of people seem to think it pins down the tone and character they want in a MOO game and, if the devs don't gently caress everything up from here on out, has the groundwork for a fun 4X game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I sincerely believe that if you're charging a premium retail price for your game, then you're subject to the same expectations and criticism of a premium retail game. If you want to get people playing and providing only internal critiques for your incomplete game, that's great, but don't charge them for it.

"Early release" is horse poo poo. Maybe I'm an old man yelling at a cloud but when I was coming up games came out at least nominally complete, and we never paid to Beta test them.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Otisburg posted:

Maybe I'm an old man yelling at a cloud but when I was coming up games came out at least nominally complete, and we never paid to Beta test them.

I can still remember a time where a company would pay you to beta test their game.

Whoever came up with the idea of getting your customers to pay before the game is finished AND beta test it for free has to be swimming in skrill.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I read a review on the internet. It was unfavorable, diplomacy seemed bare and random. Tactics is non-existant, best way to win is just send more ships than the enemy, and each new game feels exactly the same. This is my contribution to the thread, thanks for reading!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

my brain isn't broken! i could tell this game would be trash just from the interview videos, i didn't need to play it. that sound liek a sharp mind to me!

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

On the flip side.. I am playing feature-incomplete MOO4 tonight while drinking and having a good time.. instead of just drinking. That has to be a good thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Rufus posted:

Why is it the board games Eclipse and Twilight Imperium (3) are the only things or properly scratch the Moo itch?

And why isn't Ti a computer game since in boardgame form it's designed to take an entire goddamn weekend to play. Which is sad because I like to play as the Space Turtle people. When I played a few times I took out a little Gamera figurine to show my solidarity with the Space Turtle heritage and whine when I'm not allowed to play the Space Turtles.

( Eclipse I had like store high score with the alien race that is pals with the NOT ANTARANS I think. Or was it the ones that just like to blow everyone up? Black pieces iirc. I normally play the Blue Science dudes in the iPad version. Much like the boardgame I tend to ignore everyone and do science unless they gently caress with me and then I make my game objective to annoy them until they repent at keeping me from my idiot science goals. Oddly enough my high score game was based around mostly playing Bards Tale on a Kindle Fire as to keep my mouth shut for more than 5 minutes. I kinda bought an iPad Air because it had Eclipse.)

Eclipse is just Terra Mystica reskinned for space, it's not a good 4X game. Twilight Imperium 3 on the other hand is the best game ever :D Nothing beats a Twilight Imperium weekend

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
From watching Arumba it looks very barebones and the AI seems completely retarded, especially for the price. I think I will wait for Stellaris instead since they're trying to bring something new to 4x games.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Lord Tywin posted:

From watching Arumba it looks very barebones and the AI seems completely retarded, especially for the price. I think I will wait for Stellaris instead since they're trying to bring something new to 4x games.

Sucks to have to choose between the two. I am cheering for Stellaris as well.. looks very promising.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

SirTagz posted:

Sucks to have to choose between the two. I am cheering for Stellaris as well.. looks very promising.

even if it's just CK2 in space it'll be good, but it really looks like there's a lot more going on there. Then again paradox does mess up a bit (the Hearts of Iron series is pretty bad last I checked) so fingers crossed

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
With all the HD remakes that have been coming out over the past few years, I'm kind of surprised no one has just given MOO II some slightly-shinier graphics, fixed the multiplayer, added some steam achievements and called it "Master of Orion II HD" for like $25. That seems like what space 4x people really want, anyway, and it would probably sell gangbusters for not a lot of effort.

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008
Where are my Elerians WG, I need my space elves and associated badly acted, pun-laden voice overs.

I was actually fairly impressed by the overall quality so far, even though it's blatantly incomplete.

The worst thing about the game is the Sakkra advisor, he's just unbearable, I had to give up trying to play that race.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

SirTagz posted:

On the flip side.. I am playing feature-incomplete MOO4 tonight while drinking and having a good time.. instead of just drinking. That has to be a good thing.

It's actually some kind of inferior hybrid of MOO1 and MOO2. Which is the same game you were playing 20 years ago, except now it has updated graphics for $60.

I will never understand a REMAKE being in early access. Like, are you trying to nail down which gameplay elements to rip off? Remakes are one of the laziest things game wise and this seems to be pretty much that. I don't see new techs, decisions - even the races are the same? The exact same poo poo from 20 years ago?

What are you excited about?

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 29, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

even if it's just CK2 in space it'll be good, but it really looks like there's a lot more going on there. Then again paradox does mess up a bit (the Hearts of Iron series is pretty bad last I checked) so fingers crossed

i would much rather a company like Paradox (who have a habit of being too ambitious, and biting off more than they can chew) does a space game, than a modern AAA developer that is just going to follow a formula and up the graphical resolution by the required 15%

Stellaris is going to be magnificent, but dont forget about Stars In Shadow too, the "good MOO4"

Popular Human posted:

With all the HD remakes that have been coming out over the past few years, I'm kind of surprised no one has just given MOO II some slightly-shinier graphics, fixed the multiplayer, added some steam achievements and called it "Master of Orion II HD" for like $25. That seems like what space 4x people really want, anyway, and it would probably sell gangbusters for not a lot of effort.

this is exactly what i want, please make this game instead!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 29, 2016

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Rakthar posted:

It's actually some kind of inferior hybrid of MOO1 and MOO2. Which is the same game you were playing 20 years ago, except now it has updated graphics for $60.

I will never understand a REMAKE being in early access. Like, are you trying to nail down which gameplay elements to rip off? Remakes are one of the laziest things game wise and this seems to be pretty much that. I don't see new techs, decisions - even the races are the same? The exact same poo poo from 20 years ago?

What are you excited about?

Just a gullible dreamer here. I spent over a year being a fanboy of Star Citizen. You cannot get much more gullible than that. I guess I have not learned my lesson and still hope for 'a game of my dreams', this time with MOO. I have lots of good memories from MOO2 and what I have seen so far about MOO4 has been the closest in a 4x space game anyone has come to that feeling yet. So I will hold on to this hope for a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rutibex posted:

i would much rather a company like Paradox (who have a habit of being too ambitious, and biting off more than they can chew) does a space game, than a modern AAA developer that is just going to follow a formula and up the graphical resolution by the required 15%

Stellaris is going to be magnificent, but dont forget about Stars In Shadow too, the "good MOO4"

this is exactly what i want, please make this game instead!

Just out of curiosity what do you think of Distant Worlds - Universe? I've been trying to get into it and theoretically everything's there but somehow the game just leaves me feeling a bit cold.

• Locked thread