Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI-W5iDdtfs

In March of 1996, Capcom released Resident Evil for the Playstation. The runaway success of this title has created a franchise that exists to this day (in retrospect, this might've been a horrible idea). In order to celebrate the game's 20th anniversary coming up, Rosetta and I have decided to play though all these games, in order.

Why Should I Watch This?
Resident Evil as a series holds a large place in my heart. The first game was one of the first (if not the first) game I ever played, and I've stuck with it through the good and bad. The tone for these videos will be mostly breezy and conversational, but I will try and keep it a little bit more informative than most other mega-LPs (I know an embarrassing amount of trivia about most of the instalments).

New To Resident Evil?
Click the question mark on this post! It'll show you all my posts in the thread, where I post uncommentaried cutscenes and files.

The Format
We'll be playing through all the main series games, in full. Side games will include most non-canon or non-numbered Resident Evil games, as well as a few other Shinji Mikami projects, and a couple extras.
Most side games will generally get only one update, unless it's exceptionally crazy or interesting. A wide variety of guests will be showing up for these episodes as well!

The Games
Resident Evil
Sweet Home *
Resident Evil: Director's Cut DualShock ver.
Resident Evil (Gameboy Colour) *
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 1.5 *
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Survivor *
Dino Crisis *
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Resident Evil: Gaiden*
Resident Evil Survivor 2 Code: Veronica*
Devil May Cry*
Resident Evil (Remake)
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil: Revelations 2

This list will be continually updated as we progress through the LP. Please do not ask us if we'll be playing this or that game, if we're playing it you'll know.
Anything with an asterisk can be considered a "side game" and will not necessarily have been played to completion.

Spoiler Policy
Considering the informal nature of the LP, spoilers aren't that much of a problem. However, please try to refrain from talking too much about games in the series ahead of what we've played. These things get pretty crazy and I'd like to keep any reactions to the particularly insane stuff genuine.

Haven't I Already Seen One Of These Before?
:ssh:

:siren:Updates:siren:
Playlist

Resident Evil (1996)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

Sweet Home (1989)
Part 1

Resident Evil: Director's Cut DualShock ver. (1998)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Resident Evil: Gameboy Colour (Unreleased) (1999)
Part 1

Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17

Resident Evil 1.5 (Unreleased) (1997)
Part 1

Resident Evil 3 (1999)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11

Resident Evil Survivor (2000)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Dino Crisis (1999)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (2001)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17

Resident Evil Gaiden (2001)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Resident Evil Survivor 2 Code: Veronica (2001)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Devil May Cry (2001)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Resident Evil (2002)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oooh, this is going to be fun!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I almost forgot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GyOYaDHquE
Here's the original intro, uncensored and coloured thanks to some guy on YouTube. You used to be able to get this from Capcom's official site but I'm sure that link's been dead for years now :(

sisterSyzygy
Sep 5, 2013

The funk soul brother at the back of her head has gone dark. Forever.
Man's greatest accomplishment is creating a drawing of someone astonished enough to appear on the cover art for Resident Evil. I mean, look at 'em.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I still have no idea what he's holding in his hand. Someone tell me what that's supposed to be.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I still have no idea what he's holding in his hand. Someone tell me what that's supposed to be.

It's a Spas M-16 Assault Materiel Rifle.

Or something. I'm going to assume it's effective against living things, though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hell yes, so on board for this.

Also, everyone plays as Jill because of Barry, making it the correct and only choice. :colbert:

man nurse fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 7, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

man nurse posted:

Hell yes, so on board for this.

Also, everyone plays as Jill because of Barry, making it the correct and only choice. :colbert:

I mean, between Jill Sandwich and some of the puns Chris makes it's kind of a tossup.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think I'll get on board for this one. I'm a horror junkie, yet I'm awful at survival horror. That and the tank controls means I've always been mildly aware of each game in the series, but never able to explore in-depth any of them. Also my video game chronological order disorder means I don't appreciate jumping in on like part 3 or 6 or whatever with series.

I don't like how often Sweet Home gets brought up as being a precursor to RE--the two properties share a couple similarities, but very few. The door opening animations are the most obvious, as well as limited inventory space and the haunted house type setting, but that's really it. It's like saying Dragon Warrior and Dark Souls are the same because both involve exploring and fighting monsters with swords. Hell, Sweet Home is more a traditional jrpg more than anything.

Question: in the intro, the dogs make several stock noises. Can someone nerdier than myself identify where the higher pitched whiny roar comes from? It seems like it was used so drat often in the 90s...

Finally, a small request: is this game too old to have a subtitle option? It's mildly annoying having some off the dialogue drowned out when you're new like me.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh yes, definitely on board here; I'm something of a Resi nerd (who just can't put the loving series down for more than a few days at a time) so I'm immediately drawn to stuff like this. The original is still my favourite entry in the series for a myriad of reasons (so I'm glad I caught this LP early), not least because of the voicework. It's certainly some fantastic voicework, but not for the reasons that one might think before actually hearing it...

Choco1980 posted:

Question: in the intro, the dogs make several stock noises. Can someone nerdier than myself identify where the higher pitched whiny roar comes from? It seems like it was used so drat often in the 90s...
I first heard it in Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, but I have no idea if that's actually the original source for that sound. Chances are that it isn't, though.

Choco1980 posted:

Finally, a small request: is this game too old to have a subtitle option? It's mildly annoying having some off the dialogue drowned out when you're new like me.
Subtitles first became possible in Code:Veronica from what I remember, so unfortunately you're in for quite a wait on that front.

Lady Naga posted:

It's Capcom's boxart designers being Capcom's boxart designers, and Frankensteining an M4 with a Remington 870 for some reason. But then this certainly wouldn't be the first time that Capcom boxart has been misleading in some way. Yes, I'm talking about that Mega Man 'art' in particular. Bloody thing.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Choco1980 posted:

I don't like how often Sweet Home gets brought up as being a precursor to RE--the two properties share a couple similarities, but very few. The door opening animations are the most obvious, as well as limited inventory space and the haunted house type setting, but that's really it. It's like saying Dragon Warrior and Dark Souls are the same because both involve exploring and fighting monsters with swords. Hell, Sweet Home is more a traditional jrpg more than anything.

Sweet Home is a really interesting game and even if they're dissimilar gameplay-wise, they do share a similar tone and structure . It's brought up though because "Capcom wanted to remake Sweet Home on the Playstation, but then decided to make their own IP" is like, a literal verifiable thing that happened. It's just an interesting bit of history, like the whole Doki Doki Panic/Mario 2 thing.

Choco1980 posted:

I'm 95% sure it's not "from" anything specific, rather it's a lot like Doom where most of the sound effects are pulled from a source that gets licensed out a bunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3e8OkgqJQI

Choco1980 posted:

Unfortunately the game doesn't have subtitles at all :( I will definitely enable subtitles on games that have them, but until the Playstation 3/360 era of games, having subtitles was very much a non-standard thing. I'd love to subtitle the game myself but honestly it's a ton of work. I'll definitely play around with audio levels though, and maybe try to make the game a bit louder during dialogue scenes so it's easier to focus on what's being said. It's not like the game's plot is its strong suit anyway :v:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Love these games and will be following this.

A+ on the thread title too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Sweet Home is a really interesting game and even if they're dissimilar gameplay-wise, they do share a similar tone and structure . It's brought up though because "Capcom wanted to remake Sweet Home on the Playstation, but then decided to make their own IP" is like, a literal verifiable thing that happened. It's just an interesting bit of history, like the whole Doki Doki Panic/Mario 2 thing.

It just bugs me is all, because it ends up coming off as apocrypha that people just accept where if you actually play Sweet Home, it doesn't resemble RE at all, but is definitely a game worth checking out. One of the difficult things with it being Japan-only is it's hard to get well-researched information on it, as serious horror scholars, and video game historians rarely intersect in their information. The game and the film seemed to come out near simultaneously which makes it hard to tell which was promoting which, or if it was even a promotion at all or instead some sort of ambitious art simultaneous thing (as they're both pretty strong in the storytelling department). Sweet Home's phenomenon ends up later seeming a touchstone for Otogorisou (AKA St. John's Wort--the English name for the same herb) which started out as an early SNES Visual Novel (Chungsoft temporarily coined the term Sound Novel for it and several other horror stories) later remade on the PS1, and then adapted into a film. The film feels inspired by RE's style of gameplay more than its visual novel roots (remarkably even having RE style puzzles) and plays a lot with reality vs game design in weird ways, though the story feels closer to Sweet Home's. It's a weird little footnote half-step between the two properties. There's an old US release of the film from that few years post-Ringu where J-horror was the super en-vogue thing for US horror junkies and nearly everything got a release.[/quote]

quote:

I'm 95% sure it's not "from" anything specific, rather it's a lot like Doom where most of the sound effects are pulled from a source that gets licensed out a bunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3e8OkgqJQI

It just in particular has always been a personal pet peeve of mine because it seemed like it was everywhere in the 90s as "stock monster sound" I swear the first time I heard it was during a sketch on the old obscure "Video Power" show back in '90. That was the one by Acclaim pretending to be an unbiased video game review show with the "extreme" host Johnny Power, intercut with the Captain N knockoff where all the characters were Acclaim game characters (including obscure ones like Kwirk and a dude from Arch Rivals, and uh Bigfoot, the monster truck) that completely changed its format (but kept its coked out host) to a kids game show in its second year.
[/quote]

quote:

Unfortunately the game doesn't have subtitles at all :( I will definitely enable subtitles on games that have them, but until the Playstation 3/360 era of games, having subtitles was very much a non-standard thing. I'd love to subtitle the game myself but honestly it's a ton of work. I'll definitely play around with audio levels though, and maybe try to make the game a bit louder during dialogue scenes so it's easier to focus on what's being said. It's not like the game's plot is its strong suit anyway :v:

Yeah, I suspected that. That's why I asked if it was too old for such a thing Subtitles were mostly unused until like the ps2 cycle, and then were completely up to the devs to utilize, but there's always a chance. Hell, my old copy of Battle Arena Toshinden 1 for the Saturn had subtitles for the few bits of voiced dialogue it had. Early Fifth Gen gaming LOVED throwing voices into things just because they could. I know you guys are already familiar with things, but it'd be nice if we didn't miss the important parts of the dialogue. So far I managed to catch that Barry went missing while Jill and Wesker split up from Chris, who then found Rebecca, the rookie and likely sole survivor of STARS Bravo (and a perky young lady because Japan), who thought something seemed fishy about the helicopter crash for their unit. Not sure what they talked about other than that.

Speaking of the janky dialogue here, at the time of the game coming out there was debate and assumptions about the English dub--Do you think it was originally so cheesy and stilted deliberately? A lot of people tried to claim it was in loving tribute to crappy 80s horror movies, especially the Italian made ones with awful dub jobs, like the works of Lucio Fulci (who made many zombie flicks in that time period). Considering that part 5 has a tropical theme like many of the movies in the Italian Zombie cycle, I do wonder if there's an influence there. On the other hand, this was still early into the business of voice acting in games, and there's a lot of them that just flat out clearly don't know what they're doing in the directing in the English sound booths. Who can say?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I heard something about how the dialog is like that on purpose, because one of the directors of something for the game told the actors to purposely accentuate certain syllables and words because it would sound better to Japanese gamers.

Jesus, that sounds vague that I feel like I should cite my uncle who worked at Nintendo for it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Leavemywife posted:

I heard something about how the dialog is like that on purpose, because one of the directors of something for the game told the actors to purposely accentuate certain syllables and words because it would sound better to Japanese gamers.

Jesus, that sounds vague that I feel like I should cite my uncle who worked at Nintendo for it.

That isn't unlikely, as the English voice acting is from the original Japanese version, after the Japanese dialog was scrapped because the director said it sounded like crap.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The actors were also (apparently) given no context at all regarding the lines, with further explains why conversations sound so stilted, off-key and weirdly stitched-together most of the time. Take for instance the exchange between Jill and Wesker in the Guardhouse. Jill sounds less like she's been concerned for his safety while he was AWOL, and more like she's just found a naughty child who had simply been hiding under a table while grandma was visiting.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Choco1980 posted:

It just bugs me is all, because it ends up coming off as apocrypha that people just accept where if you actually play Sweet Home, it doesn't resemble RE at all, but is definitely a game worth checking out.

We'll actually be covering Sweet Home a bit once we're done with Chris' playthrough :ssh:

Choco1980 posted:

It just in particular has always been a personal pet peeve of mine because it seemed like it was everywhere in the 90s as "stock monster sound".
My favourite stock sound REvil uses is the wolf howling in the courtyard :allears:

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I suspected that. That's why I asked if it was too old for such a thing Subtitles were mostly unused until like the ps2 cycle, and then were completely up to the devs to utilize, but there's always a chance. Hell, my old copy of Battle Arena Toshinden 1 for the Saturn had subtitles for the few bits of voiced dialogue it had. Early Fifth Gen gaming LOVED throwing voices into things just because they could. I know you guys are already familiar with things, but it'd be nice if we didn't miss the important parts of the dialogue. So far I managed to catch that Barry went missing while Jill and Wesker split up from Chris, who then found Rebecca, the rookie and likely sole survivor of STARS Bravo (and a perky young lady because Japan), who thought something seemed fishy about the helicopter crash for their unit. Not sure what they talked about other than that.
This is all we know so far, other than that Chris is a meathead who can't read sheet music (he probably plays guitar, but only uses tabs. The rear end in a top hat.) and Rebecca can play A Song with a bit of practice. Right now we don't know exactly what happened to Jill and Wesker, and Jill's gun was lying on the floor, so we're to assume that something bad happened to them. The first RE is a lot less story-driven than the later ones and most of the game is wandering around finding keys for doors because there's no other option really.

The big roadblock with getting verifiable information about Resident Evil of course is that it's always been a C- or D-list franchise. The Playstation's never been as appealing as the Atari or the Famicom or the Genesis either, since the transition to 3D means that its legacy mostly ends up looking stilted and awkward so it's nowhere near as sexy to write books about how Playstation ~changed the world~ compared to the epic history of Nintendo or the tragedy of Sega.

There's also no "making of" featurettes for the first few games like there is for Silent Hill 2 and 3, so it's impossible to know if dialogue is deliberately stilted like in those games or if it was just incompetence. Judging by what I do know of the production (the opening cutscene, for example, was cast simply by finding people who looked "American". The actress who played Jill wasn't even out of high school at the time.) it's likely that it wasn't intentional. The end result is the same though, and the comedy of the awkward cutscenes gives you a nice false sense of security for how tense the actual game proper can get.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 8, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, it's really weird looking up info on the cast to the game. Like, part 2 actually tried to employ real voice actors, and for the most part have stuck with who they cast from then on, but there's virtually no information about the first game's VAs. There's a handful of people that have stepped forward as uncredited, but like, there still isn't anything on imdb for who played Jill for instance beyond the slapped on pseudonym first name she gets. These were still wild west times for how to do game acting.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think sometimes it's easy to forget how nascent a form video games are until you realize that even up to and including the PS2 era games still regularly didn't have subtitles and nobody was quite sure what the standardized action shooter control scheme was supposed to be. Everything was unprofessional as gently caress for decades and we're just now getting console-level remapping features.

Even Resident Evil struggles with control schemes, the loving "access inventory" button changes like three or four times throughout the series. Extra funny though is that all the PS face buttons are supposed to represent certain functions (circle for yes, x for no, square for menus and triangle for camera controls) and yet not a single RE game that I can remember uses square for menus. Triangle, start, circle, etc. but not once was it ever on square.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 8, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, it's really weird looking up info on the cast to the game. Like, part 2 actually tried to employ real voice actors, and for the most part have stuck with who they cast from then on, but there's virtually no information about the first game's VAs. There's a handful of people that have stepped forward as uncredited, but like, there still isn't anything on imdb for who played Jill for instance beyond the slapped on pseudonym first name she gets. These were still wild west times for how to do game acting.

Capcom also loved to change its entire voice cast between games constantly back then, an example I can use without talking about future Resident Evil games yet, was Megaman Legends, Megaman's voice actress in the sequel voiced the Lady Mayor in the first game.

Why the sudden change? Because that's just how Capcom rolled, and as mentioned above, video game voice acting wasn't much of a thing then, most voice work was done by local talent or the game devs themselves.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think my favourite game dev voice acting game is Deus Ex, something about the delivery of every line throughout that whole thing just oozes quaint charm.

e: Apparently Deus Ex uses actual voice actors? Fuckin' blame Rosetta for making me think it was just dev acting.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 9, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Resident Evil 0 is now pre-purchasable on Steam and consoles too probably! Don't buy it though it sucks.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I already knew lady naga was crazy, but i didn't know she/he was quite this crazy. :staredog:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I will attempt to save my disdain for 0 for when we get to it but that loving grapple gun is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen implemented in a videogame.

e: It looks really nice though. A+ environmental design.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I can confirm it is coming to every home console, with the exception of the Wii U, which is funny as RE0 has been a Gamecube exclusive for all these years. :v:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Judge Tesla posted:

I can confirm it is coming to every home console, with the exception of the Wii U, which is funny as RE0 has been a Gamecube exclusive for all these years. :v:

Sorry, I knew it was coming to consoles, I just didn't know if you could pre-order it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sorry I have to buy it now for "Wolf Force Billy"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I mean, he is hunky AF, I don't blame you. :swoon:

Not Hunk-y though, that's a different character.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Not Hunk-y though, that's a different character.
:downsrim:

I'm gonna get it but I know it's going to have all the same lovely problems RE0 had. At least Wesker mode could be fun (Except for Rebecca's alt costume for it).

Love the LP so far, I'm using it sorta to get my bf up to speed on the dumb RE plot.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Golden Goat posted:

:downsrim:

I'm gonna get it but I know it's going to have all the same lovely problems RE0 had. At least Wesker mode could be fun (Except for Rebecca's alt costume for it).

Love the LP so far, I'm using it sorta to get my bf up to speed on the dumb RE plot.

What's wrong with Rebecca's costume, other than looking like she works for some Evil Organization™ of some sort?

sisterSyzygy
Sep 5, 2013

The funk soul brother at the back of her head has gone dark. Forever.

Golden Goat posted:

Sorry I have to buy it now for "Wolf Force Billy"

Is he wearing a god drat scouter?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

CommissarMega posted:

What's wrong with Rebecca's costume, other than looking like she works for some Evil Organization™ of some sort?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Ooh I'll deffo be following this one. Resident Evil's been my favorite series ever since I first discovered it at a relative's neighbor's house while up in Maine to attend a wedding. I drat sure knew what to ask for that very next birthday. RE2 has since and still continues to be my favorite game of all time, with 3 a very close second.

I eagerly anticipate further updates.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whoops, I thought Golden Goat was talking about the below costume:

Truth be told, I think it looks cool.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, my vague knowledge level of the series is that I know the basic setting for each game (mostly) and have a general idea of who a lot of the early characters are, though hardly all.

Am I safe to assume that Zero being about Rebecca is going to lead to like, nonstop plotholes between it and this one? Cause even from the Steam Trailer alone, it looks like there's a heck of a lot she's not telling Chris that she probably should...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeeeep. RE Zero makes weird claims about explaining about how everything happened and telling us the untold story but all it does is just make everything way more confusing and nonsensical and explains nothing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

If you want to play RE0 without having to play RE0 you could track down a copy of the Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii or PS3, it's an on rails shooter that tells an abridged version of 0, 1 and 3, and various other things, it's pretty good.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The re-framing of the game as a rail shooter also alliviates the problem with the bonkers plot. As an earnest horror game trying to scare you, Resident Evil 0 is bafflingly incompetent but as a rail shooter? It's not even half as crazy as a House of the Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Actually, I was wrong. I wasn't aware of Wesker Mode and what's part of it.

• Locked thread