Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Wait, are we seriously at the point in time where people talk fondly of their parents getting PS3s?!

My first system was an Atari 2600 :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nah my dad's pretty old, he's a huge gamer though so he used to buy himself a new console every generation for Christmas.

e: like it was specifically his PS3. I was allowed to use it and all but he always had dibs.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 17, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

Oh poo poo really? I never played that far into it. Anyway, this is a "play all the RE games" lp, and aside from games I can't get to because of tech issues (Mercenaries 3D) we're playing them all. We'll give Survivor 2 the usual thirty minute view while we talk about other things.

Please God if you take one thing from me do not spoil yourself on a single minute of Dead Aim, I hope I'm not hyping it up too much but lord is it ever a trip.

Well I certainly admire your resilience if you really do plan to give Survivor 2 a shot. I don't think it actually requires much more than 30 minutes to see through to the end though, unless I'm getting average playtime mixed up with the first Survivor. Now that was a disappointing rental. Literally 45 minutes after paying the fucker at the register, I was looking at the end screen. Bitterness flowed through my veins for at least twice as long.

I definitely won't spoil Dead Aim for myself though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Honestly Survivor 2 is fun and arcadey in the way a brainless lightgun shooter should be; it mostly exists to take up arcade space. Survivor 1 though yeah, woof.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Wait, why fight Yawn in the attic? You can slip right in and out instead of wasting time, ammo and health, and you only have to fight it again later.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

To avoid a mysterious inconsistency with Yawn's appearance later, I'm guessing.

That and to show off the 'Bazooka' (along with Jill's laughable fragility compared to Chris' near-insurmountable wall of health).

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

To avoid a mysterious inconsistency with Yawn's appearance later, I'm guessing.

That and to show off the 'Bazooka' (along with Jill's laughable fragility compared to Chris' near-insurmountable wall of health).

Inconsistency how? You have to fight it twice whether you drive it off or run around it, so I figure you may as well save yourself the trouble the first time. Unless as far as inconsistencies you mean something like: "Oh well it was in the attic, but now it's in the fireplace in the piano room? How does that make sense?"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also because I'm not a super great player and finagling trying to get past the snake and to the emblem will probably get me bit once or twice, so at that point I might as well commit.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tofu Survivor posted:

Inconsistency how? You have to fight it twice whether you drive it off or run around it, so I figure you may as well save yourself the trouble the first time. Unless as far as inconsistencies you mean something like: "Oh well it was in the attic, but now it's in the fireplace in the piano room? How does that make sense?"
I mean it's literal appearance, as in how it looks. During the second encounter, Yawn has patches of skin missing. Just another trivial detail that I've picked up on after nigh-on 20 years of playing this game, over and over and over again!

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Also because I'm not a super great player and finagling trying to get past the snake and to the emblem will probably get me bit once or twice, so at that point I might as well commit.

Fair enough. I'm not a "kill everything in every game with the knife without getting hit and also get the highest score" Resident Evil player, but I guess I'm slightly above average?

I still have a lot of trouble with Code: Veronica bosses, though. I hate you, Code: Veronica.

I mean it's literal appearance, as in how it looks. During the second encounter, Yawn has patches of skin missing. Just another trivial detail that I've picked up on after nigh-on 20 years of playing this game, over and over and over again!

Gotcha. I guess even though I noticed the difference I just kind of chalked it up to decomposition or something. My own ~17 years of RE and survival horror experience just compels me to hoard everything and take no unnecessary risks.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tofu Survivor posted:

Fair enough. I'm not a "kill everything in every game with the knife without getting hit and also get the highest score" Resident Evil player, but I guess I'm slightly above average?

I still have a lot of trouble with Code: Veronica bosses, though. I hate you, Code: Veronica.
Ah, Code Veronica. The one entry in the classic series where the knife isn't generally considered as completely poo poo (although I am also partial to the knife in the original, since it's roughly as damaging as a Beretta shot and can make short work of zombies or a Cerberus early on), and is in fact a recommended weapon on some bosses! Such as "Doctor Zombie", and Nosferatu. Not that I even dare use it on the latter, videogame RNG has a history of just dicking me over at every opportunity and getting me killed.

loving useless waste of space in RE2 though. Holy hell I hate the knife in RE2 so much.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 17, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah I mean this is a casual LP and we're all about having fun so I'm most likely not going to take the most optimal or easiest path through the game. It's also my first LP, and while I've done streams and stuff before I'm still getting a bit used to the whole "playing and talking for public consumption" thing.

I also forgot to add to the update post, but our series-wide death counter is now at 2 (one onscreen, one offscreen).

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Ah, Code Veronica. The one entry in the classic series where the knife isn't generally considered as completely poo poo (although I am also partial to the knife in the original, since it's roughly as damaging as a Beretta shot and can make short work of zombies or a Cerberus early on), and is in fact a recommended weapon on some bosses! Such as "Doctor Zombie", and Nosferatu. Not that I even dare use it on the latter, videogame RNG has a history of just dicking me over at every opportunity and getting me killed.

Oh gently caress that, I'm not going anywhere near Nosferatu with the knife. His stunlocking attack (which i guess Capcom loved adding in CV almost as much as Retro Studios loves ground attacks) is bad enough already.

loving useless waste of space in RE2 though. Holy hell I hate the knife in RE2 so much.
RE2 is also literally The Best Game Ever™ according to me and I'll fight you if you say otherwise, so it gets a pass there. So hyped for REmake 2.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tofu Survivor posted:

Oh gently caress that, I'm not going anywhere near Nosferatu with the knife. His stunlocking attack (which i guess Capcom loved adding in CV almost as much as Retro Studios loves ground attacks) is bad enough already.

RE2 is also literally The Best Game Ever™ according to me and I'll fight you if you say otherwise, so it gets a pass there. So hyped for REmake 2.
Yeah even on a good day that boss will "treat" me to a big ol' YOU DIED screen at the drop of a hat if I even think of equipping the knife. Seriously, the fucker has stunlocked and slapped me off that platform from distances that just shouldn't be possible.

And RE2 is a loving fantastic game, with my only general complaint being how easy it is compared to those either side of it. REmake 2 however is going to be worth the wait, because Capcom dare not gently caress that up and will do anything and everything to make it nothing short of absolutely perfect. I hope.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So apparently this is going to be a thing? I've literally never heard of it before.

Apparently it's going to be released on the 20th anniversary which really blows. Fuckin' Run Button gets Sonic Generations and we get this to play.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 18, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lady Naga posted:

So apparently this is going to be a thing? I've literally never heard of it before.

Apparently it's going to be released on the 20th anniversary which really blows. Fuckin' Run Button gets Sonic Generations and we get this to play.

Oh, I heard about that a few months back, sounds like Capcom really wants to make Call of Resident Evil work.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Well I'm sure the Tenchu people will make a very well balanced, fair and fun competitive multiplayer shooter, what with their stellar track record and all.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ha, forgot all about that thing. I'm just dumb enough to want to give that a go, however, as long as it's cheap. Not shelling out more than a tenner for it, and I'm certainly not going to expect some sort of masterpiece either way, but it could be a surprise heap of dumb fun and pubbie tears.

And there goes my weekend quota of optimism.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a Gamespot article for that trainwreck. All I can hear when I see it is Capcom saying waaaaay back that RE was headed more towards action with RE6 because "that's where the money is."

Operation Raccoon City was bad enough, and now we have this steaming turd.

Lady Naga posted:

Well I'm sure the Tenchu people will make a very well balanced, fair and fun competitive multiplayer shooter, what with their stellar track record and all.

I'd prefer it if the Tenchu people actually worked on Tenchu. I haven't played a Tenchu game since Tenchu Z.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tofu Survivor posted:

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a Gamespot article for that trainwreck. All I can hear when I see it is Capcom saying waaaaay back that RE was headed more towards action with RE6 because "that's where the money is."

Operation Raccoon City was bad enough, and now we have this steaming turd.
Goddamnit I legitimately like RE6 as a game, and gently caress it all to hell I like it as a Resi game too. Maybe it's because I was/am fortunate enough to not have to put up with mindless AI partners getting killed all the time in the stupidest ways, but something about the way RE6 plays just makes it all work for me. But then I'm also one of those weirdos who had some fun with Operation Raccoon City, although that was probably down to drinking a lot while playing through it with a certain group of like-minded friends. ORC is a mercifully short game given how simple and repetitive it is (not to mention often aggravating; seriously, what the gently caress is with all the non-human enemies refusing to flinch no matter what you loving hit them with?), and all that booze could easily have made something far worse (such as Survivor 2) seem fun.

quote:

I'd prefer it if the Tenchu people actually worked on Tenchu. I haven't played a Tenchu game since Tenchu Z.
Was that the quasi-remake of Wrath of Heaven? Or am I getting my oddly-slow-running ninja games mixed up/utterly wrong?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The only good part of RE6 is playing Mercenaries as Coach from L4D2.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Goddamnit I legitimately like RE6 as a game, and gently caress it all to hell I like it as a Resi game too. Maybe it's because I was/am fortunate enough to not have to put up with mindless AI partners getting killed all the time in the stupidest ways, but something about the way RE6 plays just makes it all work for me. But then I'm also one of those weirdos who had some fun with Operation Raccoon City, although that was probably down to drinking a lot while playing through it with a certain group of like-minded friends. ORC is a mercifully short game given how simple and repetitive it is (not to mention often aggravating; seriously, what the gently caress is with all the non-human enemies refusing to flinch no matter what you loving hit them with?), and all that booze could easily have made something far worse (such as Survivor 2) seem fun.

Ayyy, easy there. I never said I didn't like RE6. I really enjoyed the gameplay, but I did find Chris' story incredibly weak compared with everyone else's. Leon's wasn't that great either, but it was a drat sight better than Chris'. I think out of all the campaigns, Jake/Sherry's was probably the strongest storywise and actually felt like it could've made a decent RE game if it had focused entirely on the pair. That said,

Lady Naga posted:

Mercenaries was where I spent most of my time. The revamped combat system in 6 was fantastic, so running around and trying to shoot everything up with a pal within the allotted time was a blasty blast. It also helped that the music was great. RE5 mercs music was godawful, especially coming off of 4 and its individual tracks for each character.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Tofu Survivor posted:

Mercenaries was where I spent most of my time. The revamped combat system in 6 was fantastic, so running around and trying to shoot everything up with a pal within the allotted time was a blasty blast. It also helped that the music was great. RE5 mercs music was godawful, especially coming off of 4 and its individual tracks for each character.

You say that but, a few of the character themes in Merc mode in 4 were ripped straight from PN-03 and slapped into 4, not that it means its any less good but it's not unique music. :v:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hey at least something good came from PN-03.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tofu Survivor posted:

Ayyy, easy there. I never said I didn't like RE6.
Sorry, automatic reaction! I heard so much poo poo about RE6...

Lady Naga posted:

...and you're not helping!...

...before actually playing it for myself that I was about ready to write it off almost immediately. Then I bought it... played it... "holy loving hell this game's not bad at all what in gently caress's name has the internet been smoking?" Instant addiction. Co-op probably played a huge part in this but now I just mindlessly leap in to shout "IT'S NOT A BAD GAME" almost immediately whenever I see it mentioned.

Tofu Survivor posted:

I really enjoyed the gameplay, but I did find Chris' story incredibly weak compared with everyone else's. Leon's wasn't that great either, but it was a drat sight better than Chris'. I think out of all the campaigns, Jake/Sherry's was probably the strongest storywise and actually felt like it could've made a decent RE game if it had focused entirely on the pair.
I agree that Chris' campaign was the weakest, but I loved Leon's campaign. Just blasting zombies again after the Spanish Inquisition and African Safari campaigns of RE4 and RE5 with "intelligent" (HA!) opponents, it felt so loving good to just square off against the most brainlessly aggressive bunch of enemies en masse at last. And of course, Helena's Hydra. I spammed quickshots like a motherfucker using that thing and saved myself from death so many times.

Tofu Survivor posted:

That said, Mercenaries was where I spent most of my time. The revamped combat system in 6 was fantastic, so running around and trying to shoot everything up with a pal within the allotted time was a blasty blast. It also helped that the music was great. RE5 mercs music was godawful, especially coming off of 4 and its individual tracks for each character.
RE5 Mercs was okay even if just for (surprise!) co-op, but the music got really loving tiresome. Now, RE6 Mercs is something I probably won't tire of for a very long time though, particularly No Mercy Duo. Aside from cheesing Catacombs (just laze around under a giant rotating blade while dumbfuck monsters walk and jump into it), it's still got some level of challenge to it that manages to catch me off-guard every so often. Also, I hate dogs in Mercs. loving hate them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
RE6 plays really well but it's so tone-deaf and antithetical to what people liked about these games to begin with to the point where I devised a rating cartesian chart based on it and 0.

For example,

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 19, 2015

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Seems about right. 0's partner system was such garbage, I don't know what they were thinking.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
RE 0 isn't even the best example of a game that hits the tone perfectly but just sucks to play but it's the closest I could get.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Why do I feel like RE4 is a better representation of good gameplay and tone? I mean yes RE2 was really good but RE4 is where they decided to really take the piss and that is why we love Resident Evil.

Also always nice to see Shattered Memories in a place that isn't "this is the worst Silent Hill ever made argh, gently caress :rant:"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The idea is good sequels, not just all around good games. RE4 is fun and cool but it doesn't at all fit the honest horror tone they were trying to go for right up until that stopped being profitable. Right now there are more genuine horror RE games than there are goofy comedy ones so it's not very emblematic of the series as a whole.

I definitely like Shattered Memories more than most people but honestly its placement is more because of how much Downpour, Origins and Homecoming skew the gently caress out of the results.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Aces High posted:

and that is why we love Resident Evil.

Hey man, speak for yourself. I loved RE4 and I've bought and 100%'d it for literally every console it was released on, but it sure isn't why I love Resident Evil.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

RE6 plays really well but it's so tone-deaf and antithetical to what people liked about these games to begin with to the point where I devised a rating cartesian chart based on it and 0.

RE4 fits exactly on top of RE6 on that graph. :smuggo:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RE4 fits exactly on top of RE6 on that graph. :smuggo:

Not really, though it's interesting in how much of a departure it is from the original quadrilogy being the first post-9/11 RE game (RE 0 was in development for years).

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Not really, though it's interesting in how much of a departure it is from the original quadrilogy being the first post-9/11 RE game (RE 0 was in development for years).

Wasn't it originally supposed to be released for the N64? I think I read that somewhere.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tofu Survivor posted:

Wasn't it originally supposed to be released for the N64? I think I read that somewhere.

Yeah, I'll talk about it more during the game but it was supposed to be for the N64 DD (like a million other projects).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh poo poo I just noticed Dead Aim on the graph! (I know, I'm probably going blind considering there are only four games on said graph to begin with). Wow, now I am double-interested in seeing that one unfold in some sort of hideously comical fashion. Like if it was a Paul W. S. Anderson game.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Oh poo poo I just noticed Dead Aim on the graph! (I know, I'm probably going blind considering there are only four games on said graph to begin with). Wow, now I am double-interested in seeing that one unfold in some sort of hideously comical fashion.

Dead Aim is so unbelievably terrible that it's impossible to believe anyone on the dev team was taking it seriously. I dunno if Lady Naga is going to be covering it since it's not on the list in the OP, but I don't want to give away too much just in case. But basically, Bruce McGivern is Not!Leon in much the same way that his partner character is Not!Ada. The big bad is obsessed with beauty and the virus Macguffin of the day sort of... grants his wish to be as beautiful as possible in the most roundabout way? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, as they say.

Like if it was a Paul W. S. Anderson game.

Let's not talk about that waste of space.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Oh poo poo I just noticed Dead Aim on the graph! (I know, I'm probably going blind considering there are only four games on said graph to begin with). Wow, now I am double-interested in seeing that one unfold in some sort of hideously comical fashion. Like if it was a Paul W. S. Anderson game.

Honestly though all things are relative. Gameplay-wise as far as lightgun shooters go Dead Aim is one of the better ones, but I don't exactly play Resident Evil to experience better-than-average lightgun games.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dead Aim is the greatest thing in the series (for certain definitions of great) and absolutely should not be spoiled for anyone.

When I played it back in college neither me nor my roommate could stop laughing at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

That was supposed to be decayed skin? If so, that could've easily come about just by time due to T-Virus. It wouldn't have to correlate to damage done by a bazooka.

• Locked thread