Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, zombie snake is something I can totally accept in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Sorry for the incredibly slow updates! Rosetta has had stuff to deal with lately. If there aren't new episodes by morning tomorrow please send them condescending PMs.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

As promised, here's the next two videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLWZSRURBP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmpYZdXLW4I

(Mabinogi is pronounced "mah-bin-oh-gee" btw)

Dear thread, please tell me how to get Barry to do the bossfight for me, and also tell me if I'm right about the PS1 sound stuff.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 24, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jej, updates!

Getting Barry to do the Plant42 fight is, like almost everything with cutscenes in this loving game, down to following a series of cryptic and seemingly-unrelated events. Not entirely sure how to set it up specifically (as there are a ridiculous number of possible "Barry combinations" through Jill's scenario from what I remember), but I seem to get it all the time by triggering the following interactions:
1) "You were almost a Jill Sandwich!"
2) "It's a weapon! It's REALLY powerful!"
And avoiding anything and everything else where the lovable bearded oaf is concerned until he nukes that fucker. Being poisoned by Yawn and then saved by Barry is an exception to this, however.

No idea about the PlayStation stereo stuff though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I meant specifically the audio CD stuff, but since you mention it here's the article about PlayStation and audiophiles:
http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-1-the-audiophile-s-dream--32269.phtml

Also when Barry drops the rope, if you wait long enough he'll come back with the rope and a note on how to open the only door in the entire mansion we haven't used yet (it connects the hallway we never go through on the second floor to the stairwell downstairs on the west side of the mansion).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

I meant specifically the audio CD stuff, but since you mention it here's the article about PlayStation and audiophiles:
http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-1-the-audiophile-s-dream--32269.phtml

Also when Barry drops the rope, if you wait long enough he'll come back with the rope and a note on how to open the only door in the entire mansion we haven't used yet (it connects the hallway we never go through on the second floor to the stairwell downstairs on the west side of the mansion).

Oh right. Well the MIDI thing never really stopped being used, the quality of samples simply improved (Resident Evil 3 being an example). A lot of games did end up using their own audio tracks instead though, but because of the compression involved it often ended up sounding pretty muffled. A great example of this is C&C and C&C Red Alert. Compare the crystal clarity of the PC audio to the 'mono speaker under a pillow' not-clarity of the PSX equivalent tracks. Or hell, just the unit voices. It's not like the visual/audio assets of the early C&C games are particularly sizey files either (music/FMV aside), but it was all all compressed and bitcrushed anyway due to the system itself having memory capabilities nowhere close to those of a contemporary PC.

Regarding Barry and the rope, this is also one of two moments that determine whether or not you get the good ending. It's loving ridiculous.

Also I need to wait until I stop laughing at that loving Mansion Basement music before I post on forums, as it clearly fucks me and my posts up considerably. It gets me every time and I just turn into a useless heap of poo poo for a good few minutes.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 24, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
BRRRRRRRR...

Wait, so did I gently caress up getting the "Barry lives" ending just because I didn't wait for him to lumber back with the stupid note?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

YEP. Sorry!

Wesker will be turned into a 32-bit tomato salad by Tyrant again, instead of Barry knocking him out with his clumsy clubfist (unless you let him die in the caverns*... don't ever let him die in the loving caverns, that's Enrico's one job and it's all he's good for). I won't spoil the rest for anyone who has been avoiding the franchise for 20 years but if it's any consolation you'll get to hear Chris burst out with the most insincere frustration.

*Although you won't be able to because he doesn't show up in the caverns if you don't wait for him in the mansion.

Oh and I can't remember how far back it was but yes, Chris Redfield's VA in this does sound like Richter Belmont's VA... because it is him!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Oh well, when we get to the end I want everyone to pretend that Barry is still alive and gets on the helicopter. Theatre of the mind, people!

IMO going from Richter Belmont to Sonic is a step down too.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

original RE is interesting with the side characters because just doing one little thing can completely change how you interact with your partner for the rest of the game. With Chris, for example, Rebecca is only ever in danger of dying if you don't let her accompany you and if you instead tell her to gently caress off then when you return to the mansion and the Hunters are loose you now have to get to a certain room in a certain amount of time or else she gets beheaded.

I might be getting that wrong and it may have instead be if you tell Rebecca she can't practice the piano, it was one of those two dialogues

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
After playing both stories back to back it becomes painfully obvious that Capcom wants you to play as Jill first, not just because it's easier but because there are a lot more cutscenes and characters explain things a little better. If that's the case though I have no idea why the character select defaults to Chris or why they removed the "easy" and "hard" labels in the NA/PAL release.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

did they change that in REmake? I know they add the "do you like hiking through the mountains?" question to choose easy or hard but do they have any explanation of whether Jill or Chris is "easy playthrough" and "hard playthrough"?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
From what I remember they're still about the same, with the added equalization of the difficulty select.

I think my favourite REmake change is that getting the best Jill ending is much simpler, iirc it's literally just the choice to give Barry his revolver back or not.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The first Resident Evil novel, written by SD Perry mentioned that Bravo Team was basically the poo poo team, she heavily emphasized that none of them were very competent in the field, Rebecca was a child genius but had zero field experience, Enrico was the best of the B team, and we all saw what became of him in the tunnels.

The later novels, all by Perry are fairly amusing, two of which are original stories, walking into fan fiction territory pretty heavily.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I was going to talk about them in a video yeah, specifically that I kind of wish I had them so I could read excerpts. On the other hand though, I don't remember them being particularly bad in like a funny way, just sort of bland and annoying. Her weird fetish for Rebecca will always be funny though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Don't talk poo poo about Rebecca! She was the prettiest, youngest, smartest, bestest ever at STARS and everyone thought she was cute and wonderful and wanted to marry her!

:mad:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
With her penchant for latching on to obscure secondary characters nobody cares about, Perry really should've been a Star Wars EU writer.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

When Resident Evil 2 pops up in here eventually, I have things to say about Perry's version of events, I used to own that book and I know it well, and oh boy did she go overboard with a certain character, and I think you know which one.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You mean Kendo right? Everyone remembers that guy.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I like this LP. I have no intention of ever playing the games that came before 4, so it's nice to have a guided tour of the stupid insanity.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Judge Tesla posted:

When Resident Evil 2 pops up in here eventually, I have things to say about Perry's version of events, I used to own that book and I know it well, and oh boy did she go overboard with a certain character, and I think you know which one.

I sperg'd something fierce at how she handled certain things (Leon having the Desert Eagle from the getgo, for instance), and I imagine the character you're referring to (that guy in the position of authority?), as well as how jumbled the events of the different scenarios were. Instead of being the canon Claire A/Leon B, she flips it and instead goes Leon A/Claire B.

ALSO DON'T FORGET HER TRUSTY OC TRENT, WHO HAS CONNECTIONS TO UMBRELLA AND SECRETLY WANTS TO HELP OUR INTREPID PROTAGONISTS

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
For the record, when we get to RE 2 we're gonna do Claire A/Leon B. I'd love to show off all routes but four separate playthroughs of the same game is just a bit much :v:

With regards to ports as well, if the game is just a straight-up port we're gonna be playing them on the original system, unless there's a PC version since that's my primary platform and is a lot easier to record.

So 2/3 will be the Playstation versions, but we'll be playing Veronica X instead of the original on the Dreamcast.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 24, 2015

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

For the record, when we get to RE 2 we're gonna do Claire A/Leon B. I'd love to show off all routes but four separate playthroughs of the same game is just a bit much :v:

With regards to ports as well, if the game is just a straight-up port we're gonna be playing them on the original system, unless there's a PC version since that's my primary platform and is a lot easier to record.

So 2/3 will be the Playstation versions, but we'll be playing Veronica X instead of the original on the Dreamcast.

There are PC versions of 2/3, but I have no idea what the quality of the ports are. Or where you'd even begin looking to get them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
They're both pretty terrible, they don't support Xinput controllers and the RE2 port especially has a lot of technical issues. They were originally for the 98 but some Japanese company named SourceNext ported them to XP so they're playable on modern systems with some finagling, but they don't support modern resolutions and I'm pretty sure neither has a windowed mode. The only benefit is that they both have uncompressed FMVs. The Gamecube ports of 2 and 3 though are really good and I suggest tracking them down if you don't have either, RE2 is all on one disk and both games have slightly higher resolution textures than the originals.

I thought about this a bunch and I was waffling on whether or not to do the GC ports of 2 and 3 but I want to try and keep the presentation of the games as close to the way they'd originally be played as possible. Code Veronica X is an exception just because it adds a couple more cutscenes that make the story slightly less nonsensical.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 25, 2015

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

They're both pretty terrible, they don't support Xinput controllers and the RE2 port especially has a lot of technical issues. They were originally for the 98 but some Japanese company named SourceNext ported them to XP so they're playable on modern systems with some finagling, but they don't support modern resolutions and I'm pretty sure neither has a windowed mode. The Gamecube ports of 2 and 3 though are really good and I suggest tracking them down if you don't have either, RE2 is all on one disk and both games have slightly higher resolution textures than the originals.

I thought about this a bunch and I was waffling on whether or not to do the GC ports of 2 and 3 but I want to try and keep the presentation of the games as close to the way they'd originally be played as possible. Code Veronica X is an exception just because it adds a couple more cutscenes that make the story slightly less nonsensical.

I dunno how, but I managed to nab a copy of RE3 still brand new and shrinkwrapped about a year before the NDS came out. I remember because I'd gone in to pre-order the DS and browsed the used games for a bit, but couldn't find it. I asked one of the workers and he went in back and came out with the mint copy. I think I still have it.

E: Wow yeah, I do: http://imgur.com/a/NCJnz

I do also have the GC copies now that I no longer have a Playstation. RE2 I picked up (also brand new and shrinkwrapped) about 5 or 6 years ago. RE3 my friend gave me after he tried it out and was too scared shitless to continue. Used, but it still works great. I used to have Zero, but it was terrible so I traded it in. I have REmake on the Wii (and the original on my DS), and since I got rid of my PS2, I picked up CV on the 360 arcade (although even the promise of achievements doesn't making the game any more appealing to me).

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 25, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

The later novels, all by Perry are fairly amusing, two of which are original stories, walking into fan fiction territory pretty heavily.

I wrote a book report on book 4, Underworld, when I was 11 or 12 and I still maintain that it was the best of the bunch, especially since I don't recall Nemesis occurring at the same time as City of the Dead (RE2), which led to some confusion when I finally played that game some years later. Those books weren't great but I place them alongside the Wildstorm comics, they're fun as poo poo if you want to waste a couple hours on a plane ride or something.

Ironically, because I liked Underworld so much that was probably why RE0 didn't bother me with things like giant centipedes and T-virus scorpions because that poo poo was the highlight of Underworld (that and before RE4 came out I was the closest thing had to another Leon adventure)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Perry wrote books as the next game was in development, so there's quite a few things that don't match up (the not-quite-sensical RE3/RE2 timeline makes even less sense in Perry's novels). On a side note, holy poo poo Wikia and especially the Resident Evil wiki are really bad. My sidebar is constantly filled with "single women in Ontario!" ads and based on the spelling/grammar of more than a few articles I'm pretty sure most of their stuff is written by literal children.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Having both RE2 and RE3 on PC, I can say they both support a windowed mode which doesn't cause anything to explode.... sort of. RE2 did run into (unrelated to windowed) problems eventually -- mainly regarding saving/loading -- so I did have to *ahem* acquire the SourceNext version at some point, but that was well worth the 5 minutes it took to track down.

RE3 however still seems to perform without issue at all. Definitely worth tracking down a copy of both games for convenience's sake if you're anything like me, and can't be bothered to set up a system just to play 4th Survivor or Mad Jackal.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I remember reports of RE2 having audio issues with people sounding "underwater", and depending on your system RE3 might just lock itself to software mode and give you a bunch of z-buffering problems and worse framerates.

They're also hard-subbed to Japanese, but if you have an original version of the NA/EU RE2/3 PC port you can just straight copy some files and have all the UI and whatnot in English.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 25, 2015

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting. Anyone else have this thing?

I picked it up back in high school when Borders was still a thing. It's got a rough timeline of events and a sort of summary of every game from 0 to CV. It's also got character summaries, info on enemies and boss creatures, lots of lore, concept art and even every single item from every game listed as well as its description. Files too, are transcribed in full.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
That's pretty neat! I've been on the hunt for RE artbooks but they're all out of print and crazy expensive.

e: In more Resident Evil news, the franchise is one of Steam's featured sales today, so it's a good time to pick up any you don't have yet.

Suspiciously absent is Operation Raccoon City even though it's on sale as well :lol:

The DLC for 5 is currently more expensive than Operation Raccoon City is.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 25, 2015

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think I've ever seen the 5 DLC on sale, or bundled with the game itself.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah Capcom is treating the "Untold Stories" stuff like a new product even though it's six years old at this point. I still need to get two copies of it but I've been putting it off since we don't need it for a couple months. At least their pricing model for old-content-masquerading-as-new isn't as exploitative as Squeenix's :negative:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Tofu Survivor posted:

I don't think I've ever seen the 5 DLC on sale, or bundled with the game itself.

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition had all the DLC bundled with it, I know because I owned that version on PS3.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Probably should have mentioned this way back when the LP started but regarding zombie headshots with the shotgun, you don't have to actually aim up in the first game (and by association, DC). Just blasting them in the guts is enough to make their heads explode.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Probably should have mentioned this way back when the LP started but regarding zombie headshots with the shotgun, you don't have to actually aim up in the first game (and by association, DC). Just blasting them in the guts is enough to make their heads explode.

I'd love to see some sort of visual representation of the spread required to make that work...

On another tack, a friend got me both copies of Untold Stories and RE0 for the LP for Christmas :3:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition had all the DLC bundled with it, I know because I owned that version on PS3.

:hfive: I think I only got it for like $40 too, although it kind of sucks that I ended up paying more for the DLC campaign for ORC than I did for the game

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

I'd love to see some sort of visual representation of the spread required to make that work...
I think the zombies just have incredibly strong magnets in their heads, and the shotgun's loaded with iron pellets. Or they're like those stupid "Z Putties" and have a glaring self-destruct button on their stomach area.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

Aces High posted:

Well I think they kind of realised that after the fact so they ended up building up the story that Umbrella really was international. I mean Code Veronica starts with Claire in Paris supposedly at the European headquarters (now why any French government office was ok with an attack helicopter opening up on a building in downtown Paris is a different discussion) and from there Umbrella just retroactively got bigger.

So the Dualshock version eh? Never gonna forget that music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

You guys probably already know being Resident Evil aficionados and what not, but are you going to discuss the "deaf-genius" composer Mamoru Samuragochi that's responsible for this masterpiece of a soundtrack? Something rather interesting came out about him a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah I've been planning to discuss Mamu for a while but we always get caught up in Other Game chat. Most likely we'll talk about it during the credits roll or smth.

Sorry for the delay in updates again but with Christmas and New Years and whatnot we've been busy. We're planning on pushing out a fairly large update though so be on the lookout for that!

• Locked thread