Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Moridin920 posted:

That's cool bro I've worked in a pizza delivery spot cashing out drivers at the end of the day and at 2 restaurants and I'm telling you that card tips which get reported into the system so that you can get cashed out at the end of your shift are taxed at 40% and that money is withheld from the paycheck.

I've seen the checks myself.

You're mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the govt should be responsible to pay people

nationalize everything

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Wow this whole tipping thing seems like such bullshit. I'm glad I live in a country where such barbaric behaviour is not accepted. Also, why do some people get tips but others don't? Waiters don't apparently get minimum wage but that's not true for all occupations that should be tipped, right? Why don't you tip the guy at McDonald's taking your order? Seems kinda hypocritical, giving tips to some but not others. In conclusion: don't tip and don't cut your dick

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

You're mistaken.

I could be wrong re the tax code specifics but I know for a fact tips are taxed at a higher rate than the rest of your regular wages. If you put a $5 tip on a Domino's driver's receipt in CA he's only getting $3 at the end of the shift when he cashes out.

It could be that they are withheld at a higher rate and when the tax return comes they get a bunch of that back, idk about that specifically.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 7, 2015

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sure you should always tip those that serve you, but there are some creative ways to make you look like a total baller without breaking the bank.

Here is a great way to really get your server excited about your tip, you probably should leave before they come back around your table though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

It's not lol. You just hand over your receipts and get cashed out at shift's end (or the tips are put aside and you get them every week or whatever).

I was talking about bonuses. You don't get "cashed out" for a bonus from a firm. It gets sent to you by check or direct deposit at the end of the quarter/trimester/what ever. The tax rate on that is 40%. I don't know whether tips count as gifts/bonuses or not though. All I was confirming was that it is true of bonuses in general.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was talking about bonuses. You don't get "cashed out" for a bonus from a firm. It gets sent to you by check or direct deposit at the end of the quarter/trimester/what ever. The tax rate on that is 40%. I don't know whether tips count as gifts/bonuses or not though. All I was confirming was that it is true of bonuses in general.

Right, I meant 'it's not an option for servers to put that in their 401k for tax purposes because they get automatically cashed out.' Even assuming they even have a 401k. Or that they don't rely on tips for basic income purposes.

Afaik tips are otherwise taxed at the same rate as bonuses.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 7, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Tbh I really like tipping as a socially acceptable form of selective direct charity and think the way wa handles it (there's no special min wage for tipped staff) is perfect.

kikkelivelho posted:

Wow this whole tipping thing seems like such bullshit. I'm glad I live in a country where such barbaric behaviour is not accepted. Also, why do some people get tips but others don't? Waiters don't apparently get minimum wage but that's not true for all occupations that should be tipped, right? Why don't you tip the guy at McDonald's taking your order? Seems kinda hypocritical, giving tips to some but not others. In conclusion: don't tip and don't cut your dick

This can be admittedly confusing but for the most part you just generally tip in situations where you're receiving a service that can be easily improved to more than you'd expect by the staff caring more about you. You buy a burger from mcdonalds but it's not like the person making it for you could do something extra to make the burger even better as they have instructions they have to stick to. A waitress otoh can be really good at never letting your coffee go empty even when it's busy or knows what you get as a regular etc, bartenders are a great example because them knowing you're a good tipper is an easy shortcut on a busy night.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I tried to tip at a Taco Bell and they wouldn't let me.

My ideal is that Steve Martin movie where he just tips everyone a $100 bill and if they don't take tips he sneaks it into their pocket or something anyway.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I tried to tip at a Taco Bell and they wouldn't let me.
we can't accept tips when i work at the township pool in the Summer, either

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rather than money, I always leave a little written tip on the receipt like "Don't eat yellow snow" or "a bird in the bush will probably poo poo on your laundry". I feel I am truly doing the Lord's work.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

spud posted:

Rather than money, I always leave a little written tip on the receipt like "Don't eat yellow snow" or "a bird in the bush will probably poo poo on your laundry". I feel I am truly doing the Lord's work.
get AIDS

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

My ideal is that Steve Martin movie where he just tips everyone a $100 bill and if they don't take tips he sneaks it into their pocket or something anyway.

My Blue Heaven.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Just another case of American Exceptionalism :smug:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

kikkelivelho posted:

If there is service you tip. That means they remember your order and carry it back and forth. If it is self service, where you pay and pick up your food at a counter and take care of your own trash you don't tip. This is somewhat arbitrary but given the huge differential in service quality between these two it makes sense as a native.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 7, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

More like you tip the scales, OP.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What happens in a country that doesn't accept tips if you leave a tip? Are they just confused and pocket the money or do they like chase you out trying to give it back to you thinking that you left it by mistake?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

kikkelivelho posted:

Just another case of American Exceptionalism :smug:

Wow, Israel and Jordan can agree on something after all

makes u think

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Crowned posted:

No lie, I once had a woman in her 30's include a roll of nickels and two rolls of pennies as a form of payment

Cool story bro.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

What happens in a country that doesn't accept tips if you leave a tip? Are they just confused and pocket the money or do they like chase you out trying to give it back to you thinking that you left it by mistake?

They call the cops and you have to pay a large fine for attempted bribery. I understand corruption is rampant in some cultures but that poo poo doesn't fly here.

e: You are also evading taxes by tipping so I imagine that's another possible fine. Depends if the authorities are willing to let you off easy.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 7, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ranges from they feel insulted to really grateful.

The delivery driver people in Germany loved it when I gave them 5 euro. There's countries where rounding up is normal so if you want to leave a real tip they'll be happy probably. In countries where they don't take tips it can definitely come off as tacky though but whatever people are forgiving of foreigners for poo poo like that anyway.

fwiw even if they are paid a fair wage I'd still want to tip. It just confers advantages to you that others don't have. I'm a regular at a couple spots and they know I tip well so I get free apps and drinks all the time. A bartender who knows you will tip decently will take prefer to take your order before other people's at a busy bar. When I was the heavy tipper in Germany my deliveries started coming lightning fast.

I know delivery drivers at pizza places in the US will prefer to take customers they know tip well and they'll deliver faster (ie if they are on a double and making two deliveries, they'll definitely come to the known tipper first and let the other order wait).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 7, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My sister worked as a waitress for a year in college and she said that there would be honest to god fights between hosts and wait staff if they sat a foreign customer in their sections because they never tipped. My sister was of the opinion that the custom was always known to them, but they just go ahead and pretend not to know just because they can get away with it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

My sister worked as a waitress for a year in college and she said that there would be honest to god fights between hosts and wait staff if they sat a foreign customer in their sections because they never tipped. My sister was of the opinion that the custom was always known to them, but they just go ahead and pretend not to know just because they can get away with it.

Yup that definitely happens. There's regulars who don't tip and no one wants to take their table either.

And there are definitely foreigners who pretend not to know but honestly I think they're in the minority. Then again tipping info must be in every 'How to Travel the USA' guidebook there is so idk.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

why am i laughing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cram me sideways posted:

why am i laughing

money is your god

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

in japan they will be extremely offended. but on the other hand, they will be obliged to accept it so as not to offend you.

japan is weird

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

When I worked in a night club in NYC I would just tell them that they had to tip and if they didn't they'd get thrown out by security.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've heard this stereotype used against minorities a lot and I always wonder if it's a chicken/egg thing. Like it probably shows all over their face and in their service.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

This thread is getting really racist towards non-americans so I'll leave for now. Hopefully you can get over your hate of foreign cultures during this century.

I'll leave you with this little thought: tipping will inevitably be killed by automation so you might as well start preparing for a no-tips society.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
'here's your tip' and then throw the coins at their head

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

In Japan they chase you down the street waving the money and yelling that you forgot something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kikkelivelho posted:

This thread is getting really racist towards non-americans so I'll leave for now. Hopefully you can get over your hate of foreign cultures during this century.

I'll leave you with this little thought: tipping will inevitably be killed by automation so you might as well start preparing for a no-tips society.

All we're saying is foreigners don't tip well and sometimes maybe they take advantage of the cultural difference to not tip purposefully.

As someone who comes from a family of foreigners I don't think that's offensive at all. One time my dad tried to get free valet parking in Vegas by pretending he could only speak Bulgarian.

It's not that it happens because they're foreign, it's that people can be shady and try to save a buck however possible. Some do, others don't.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

kikkelivelho posted:

Eat dookie slobo

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
is anyone else really offended when they tip a good amount and people don't know show appropriate gratitude

when i was in india i stayed at a budget hotel and tipped ten dollars as i didn't want to bring the foreign cash back home with me. the guy just said 'thank you sir' and walked off. he should have been crawling around on the floor licking the dust off my shoes in thanks. that amount is enough to feed a small family in india for a year

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Moridin920 posted:

I'm a regular at a couple spots and they know I tip well so I get free apps and drinks all the time. A bartender who knows you will tip decently will take prefer to take your order before other people's at a busy bar. When I was the heavy tipper in Germany my deliveries started coming lightning fast.
Just curious, do you tip out of the kindness of your heart or do you tip to gain favor with the servers & get benefits down the road? If it's the latter it makes tipping sound like a long con bribery.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Android Bicyclist posted:

Just curious, do you tip out of the kindness of your heart or do you tip to gain favor with the servers & get benefits down the road? If it's the latter it makes tipping sound like a long con bribery.
The benefits are nice but they're not something I'd pay extra for if it were just an option on the menu. It's a circle of good will.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Both.

I tip well anyway but if I'm a regular at some local spot I'm definitely cognizant of the benefits that being known as someone who tips well brings me. It kind of is long con bribery in that often times you end up getting free stuff worth more than your tips. The bartender is usually given some leeway with inventory (spillage happens, free drinks happen, etc.) so if he knows I tip well and I get at least free $10 cocktail every time I walk in the only person really losing is the restaurant/bar's bottom line but whatever - drinks make tons of money anyway.

It's more rare to get free apps and stuff like that but it definitely happens. The issue there is food is on tighter margins and also the kitchen staff generally doesn't give a poo poo if you tip or not because typically they don't get a cut anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

Both.

I tip well anyway but if I'm a regular at some local spot I'm definitely cognizant of the benefits that being known as someone who tips well brings me. It kind of is long con bribery in that often times you end up getting free stuff worth more than your tips. The bartender is usually given some leeway with inventory (spillage happens, free drinks happen, etc.) so if he knows I tip well and I get at least free $10 cocktail every time I walk in the only person really losing is the restaurant/bar's bottom line but whatever - drinks make tons of money anyway.

It's more rare to get free apps and stuff like that but it definitely happens. The issue there is food is on tighter margins and also the kitchen staff generally doesn't give a poo poo if you tip or not because typically they don't get a cut anyway.

I tip pretty well at my local watering hole, and I've definitely gotten the some of these: "well, it wasn't worth saving the bottle for that much," "oops, wrong drink," "I put too much in the shaker."

Of course it's also really only a bonus if they think of you as "The Mikey of Alcohol."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Both.

There's also a sense of solidarity with other working people vis a vis not paying them through someone else who will filch a portion of it.

• Locked thread