Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
2015 is done, KC, RBNY, and Portland all got some hardware, there's CCL picking back up soon, so now it's time to settle into the parade of drafts, trades, quarter-assed free agency, and training camps of the MLS offseason. This year, enjoy the last expansion draft-free offseason for a while, unless they decide to can that for future expansions, which is possible.

When transactions--veterans only, not the Superdraft--are done deals I will put them in this space. EDIT: No I won't. :effort: Just read the league's rollup.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2016

For now, shave those drat beards.

Hoover Dam fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I'll never understand why you get a star after a single cup win.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Soulex posted:

And not the supporters shield? Or what? Do they have to win 5 cups to get a star? What are the rules, I don't know!

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
i love my dead gay league

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Haha the Sounders are gay and fail

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Soulex posted:

Because the league is 20 years old and they need to sell people the latest jersey. "Well I just bought the home and away last year, but this one has the championship star on it so I guess I can get that one."

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

El Jebus posted:

And not the supporters shield? Or what? Do they have to win 5 cups to get a star? What are the rules, I don't know!

In European leagues it's often 10 titles for one star. However,

Xenoletum posted:

Because the league is 20 years old and they need to sell people the latest jersey. "Well I just bought the home and away last year, but this one has the championship star on it so I guess I can get that one."

This is why it's the way it is in MLS.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

It looks like Carlos Vela isn't coming to Chicago.

At least it wasn't some long drawn out thing like Drogba or Jones. I'd prefer to spend the money getting small upgrades in the CB/CDM department rather than splurging on another attacker anyway.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Gigi Galli posted:

In European leagues it's often 10 titles for one star. However,

This is why it's the way it is in MLS.

I could see them letting people accrue up to 4 silver stars and then use a gold star for every fifth win.

Personally I'd like to see the side patches change for the champions. Gold MLS Crests for the Cup Winners, Silver Crests for the Supporters Shield, Bronze for the Open Cup.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Hello Towel posted:

At least it wasn't some long drawn out thing like Drogba or Jones. I'd prefer to spend the money getting small upgrades in the CB/CDM department rather than splurging on another attacker anyway.

yo seriously who the gently caress is in charge of chicago's talent acquisition b/c this poo poo is getting beyond parody. spending millions (or attempting to) on attacking presences that will likely fart out in the end while the defense withers and dies on the vine.

it's getting to the point where i can set my watch on wasted money on chicago's designated players or lack of interest in players that turn out to be yooge for other teams (envelopes notwithstanding)

jerryseinfeldwhat'sthedeal.jpg

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Stars are cool because you can lord them over motherfuckers. Like DC does and always will.

Once someone hits ten you get an eagle.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The important thing will be to make the Rules of the Star as complicated as possible and to change those rules yearly.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

relegate the Chicago Fire to the garbage bin

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just another reminder that Pablo is still coach for the Rapids and that the Rapids are the new Chivas. Enjoy your free space on your bingo cards, chums.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Once someone hits ten you get an eagle.

This sounds right to me. :911:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hello Towel posted:

Congratulations on not wasting piles of money on garbage.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Living with an NYCFC fan is the most strenuous thing because of the naivety they have. Vieira is going to take this team to the cup, the team is going to be unstoppable next year, etc...

Meanwhile Union are letting Casey disappear into Free Agency and have resigned Brian Carroll. Hopefully that big beautiful bald bastard goes back to Colorado and retires as a Rapids player, as much as I would have liked him to retire as a Union Player.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
In case you don't read the kit thread, MLS announced the match ball they're going to use next year:

XBenedict posted:

This will look great deflecting off of Jozy's fat head.

Bleah.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Neagle is finally off to DC for Allocation Money. It'll be interesting to see if we manage to get a good group in, especially young players that can become juggernauts.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

foobardog posted:

Neagle is finally off to DC for Allocation Money. It'll be interesting to see if we manage to get a good group in, especially young players that can become juggernauts.

And Pontius to Union made official for a mix of various forms of Garberbux.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 7, 2015

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

foobardog posted:

Good riddance.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
no neagles no problems

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Xylorjax posted:

Good riddance.

I'm not that down on the dude, but writing was kind of on the wall for him.

I'll always remember "seriously, what the gently caress has Neagle even done this ma- *rips a beautiful curling goal from outside the box* NEAGOAL!"

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

whypick1 posted:

I'm not that down on the dude, but writing was kind of on the wall for him.

I'll always remember "seriously, what the gently caress has Neagle even done this ma- *rips a beautiful curling goal from outside the box* NEAGOAL!"

That was Thomas for me last year. I had been complaining about him for a long time, and then he scored a goal and did Riverdance. Meh, still. I actually kind of hope Portland winning takes some of the pressure off of MLS Cup or Bust. There's a good chance that without vastly improving the depth, Seattle will just regress.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Seattle rearranges deck chairs on the Titanic instead of the proper reaction to a blood rival beating them at every turn this year: blow it up and start again

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Anyone else going to the TImbers victory parade? I'll be pregaming with Stumptown cold brew chocolate milk down at plaid pantry and I'll be there in a TImbers scarf shouting all the chants and then doing that 2 palms down overhead thing that they do for some reason

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I don't really get why DC picked up Neagle

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I don't really get why DC picked up Neagle

• Over 28
  • Affordable salary
  • Needs less man management, just goes out and does poo poo
  • Cost a third of what Chris Pontius does

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

OK so its just about opening up more salary space? Neagle struck as a pretty mediocre player all told but I know in Calvinball trades like this are often about more than the players ability.

God I dread to see what wastemen Olsen throws that salary at, please God don't let it be Roy Miller.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

We should have a betting pool/suicide watch for which team signs Roy Miller.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I would Toxx for it but we signed Carlos Ruiz once

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I would Toxx for it but we signed Carlos Ruiz once

:smith::hf::smith: same.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

relegate the Chicago Fire to the garbage bin

joke's on you, we're already there

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I want to know where MLS is think of putting 5 more teams.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

I want to know where MLS is think of putting 5 more teams.
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
New York City
New York City
El Paso

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Los Angeles
Los Angeles
New York City
New York City
Miami

FTFY

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Still loling that the irate Sounders fan closed the MLs playoff thread within seconds of the final whistle last night. Very funny.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hello Towel posted:

Honestly an attack of GIlberto, Accam, Shipp is pretty decent by MLS standards, at least middle of the pack.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

OK so its just about opening up more salary space? Neagle struck as a pretty mediocre player all told but I know in Calvinball trades like this are often about more than the players ability.

God I dread to see what wastemen Olsen throws that salary at, please God don't let it be Roy Miller.

Neagle is terrible in possession, which DC from what little I watched of them sucks at. He is pretty good at getting into scoring positions, but will miss alot although he will usually get 2-3 good ones a game. However he really never gets injured and like mentioned works hard. Realistically he is about exactly what you picture an MLS journeyman to be. When playing with confidence he can do some cool poo poo, he has a pretty decent long shot if he gets space around the 18.

whypick1 posted:

We should have a betting pool/suicide watch for which team signs Roy Miller.

Sounders need a new LB :bang:

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 8, 2015

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

Sounders need a new LB :bang:

If the Sounders sign Roy Miller I'll buy a jersey for the hell of it. And also because I'm a douche, just like Miller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

SeaTard posted:

If the Sounders sign Roy Miller I'll buy a jersey for the hell of it. And also because I'm a douche, just like Miller.

This is why we love you :h:

• Locked thread