Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Sail closer, I want to hit them with my GUNS :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sink all the enemy shippies, sir, the enemy shippies. Our shippies like being unsunk.

KHORNE CARES NOT FROM WHO THE SHIPPIES SINK

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Deptfordx posted:

KHORNE CARES NOT FROM WHO THE SHIPPIES SINK

Reefs for the reef throne! :black101:

And isn't that a pretty strong maneuver from the USN right now, sending a carrier out to the Marshalls? Even if the KB's recovering from the Pearl raid, it's a bit risky (understatement of the year, I guess).

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Rest in peace, West Virginia. At least you didn't sink on day one, I guess.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Mountaineer posted:

Rest in peace, West Virginia. At least you didn't sink on day one, I guess.

Nope. Instead it sunk in open waters, never to be seen again.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

poo poo I missed this. Since my IJN ship was taken, give me USS Washington (BB-56)

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 11, 2015

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Calling CVL Shoho. I've got a good feeling about this: she won't be the first IJN carrier sunk in this timeline!

Because Grey is going to get the Kido Butai sunk first

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I want to see a WitP LP with a mod that removes all carriers from the game.

Then we can actually care about battleships.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gamerofthegame posted:

I want to see a WitP LP with a mod that removes all carriers from the game.

Then we can actually care about battleships.

That is on sale for :10bux:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/326/details/War.Plan.Orange:.Dreadnoughts.in.the.Pacific.1922.-.1930

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Its also good game if you wanna feel stressed as poo poo cause you don't know where the enemy fleet or even what they're up to at all.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Noticed this a few days late, but I'm definitely claiming the CA Houston. May she fight free of the Philippines and live to avenge the Asiatic Fleet sink another day!

Realbarrow fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 11, 2015

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

someday I'm going to actually manage to make it to a grey hunter LP on time, but for now I'll claim the CVL Zuiho .

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Getting in a few days later than the original, but I'm excited to follow Grey Hunter again. I'll take the BC Haruna as my lucky ship if she's still available.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Mikl posted:

Have you checked behind your living room curtain? :ese:

Dammit! He nearly got me!

It's all under control. He's now secure in a lower part of the Fortress, where I'm playing him a carefully doctored series of videos designed to brainwash him.

I'm particularly happy with the edit to the scene from 2012 where the aircraft carrier destroys the White House. That's now the Enterprise.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In Tokyo Bay Fortress?

Also, I see that the Japanese are maintaining the tradition of claiming to have sunk half the US fleet in each attack,

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

In Tokyo Bay Fortress?

Also, I see that the Japanese are maintaining the tradition of claiming to have sunk half the US fleet in each attack,

Of course. I now reside in the bowls of TBF, its a massive submarine the size of a battleship. but we shall keep that secret from the allies.

And we HAVE sunk all those ships. Don't go spreading any negative propaganda!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speaking of massive subs, going to build the I-400 and go after the Panama locks?

I can't decide if the I-400 or the Surcouf is sillier.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Night10194 posted:

Speaking of massive subs, going to build the I-400 and go after the Panama locks?

I can't decide if the I-400 or the Surcouf is sillier.

I suppose it's a matter of quantity vs quality of your submarine/aircraft carrier/cruiser hybrid.

Boston pee party
Oct 14, 2012
Awesome! I've been waiting all year for this thread to come back.

If we're still calling ships that haven't been built yet, then I'll take the Super DD Shimakaze.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Grey Hunter posted:

And we HAVE sunk all those ships. Don't go spreading any negative propaganda!

Sounds like a defeatist to me. And you know what happens to defeatists ... :commissar:

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Lord Koth posted:

Well, didn't get on quite at ground floor for this LP, but close enough. And always fun watching Grey Hunter LPs, and him obliterate his own fleet gloriously lead the nation he skillfully chose to complete victory.

As for a lucky ship, let's go with IJN Shigure. Maybe we can be even luckier than the real one.

I'd like to sign up for the USS Dunlap, hopefully we will meet again!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The awkward moment when I realise SS Narwhals (yes I will add the s every time) got hit by a torpedo on the first day.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[img]http://lpix.org/2301431/1].jpg[/img]

We open the day by landing troops on Guam.

The American carrier swings north and takes out one of my precious invasion fleets.

Then another, I need to kill this thing.

We hit the other end of Sarawak. Gotta keep them reeling.

We also land troops in Kuantan – the main aim here is to keep the enemy pinned in place.

At Miri, a couple of minelayers try and see us off – it ends badly for them.

Georgetown gets several visits from our planes today.

Is that a British carrier? Or just a bug in the interface.

Looks like I'm now in range of planes from Singapore!

Over the course of the day, it goes poorly for me.

Miri is ours though.

I sally out a carrier, but our pilots just seem good at getting themselves shot down.

Our troops take heavy losses trying to expand the beachhead.

They have nothing in the south however.

Two more B-17's shot down? It must be Xmas!

We take the long named French base in China.

A lot of ship losses, but a good number of (minor) bases taken. The progress continues!

That's a whole load of owch.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 12, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I lust for ship death :unsmigghh:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

The American carrier swings north and takes out one of my precious invasion fleets.

Then another, I need to kill this thing.

:stare: Well they seem to be making much better use of their carriers this attempt.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Ikasuhito posted:

:stare: Well they seem to be making much better use of their carriers this attempt.

I like to think some carrier was in the middle of a cruise minding their own business on December 7th when they got a frantic message from PACCOM to go crazy and gently caress poo poo up in all directions. I can't come up with any other reason for an American carrier to be in that area that quickly.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Notahippie posted:

I like to think some carrier was in the middle of a cruise minding their own business on December 7th when they got a frantic message from PACCOM to go crazy and gently caress poo poo up in all directions. I can't come up with any other reason for an American carrier to be in that area that quickly.

That's where you end up if you tell the carriers to start heading towards Aus after Pearl gets hit. Lex and Enterprise start east of Wake so they'll blunder through the Marshalls unless you specifically route around them, Saratoga is in LA.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What are some of the gamey strategies that you can do if you are really good at the game? Isn't it better as a JP player to not do Pearl Harbor and instead race the KB to the Philippines or something?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
And we're already starting to lose our bluster.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are some of the gamey strategies that you can do if you are really good at the game? Isn't it better as a JP player to not do Pearl Harbor and instead race the KB to the Philippines or something?

The game starts with the PH attack, and it would be very stupid not to open with one even if you could.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Going for the US carriers immediately instead of Pearl Harbor is pretty gamey, IIRC.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Going for the US carriers immediately instead of Pearl Harbor is pretty gamey, IIRC.

Anything is gamey to a degree if players diverge from historical, I mean after all this is the entire point of the game right?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yeah. Starting the game you've got a fair idea where the US carriers are, and you can sink em and make things easy for a couple of years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Palladium posted:

Anything is gamey to a degree if players diverge from historical, I mean after all this is the entire point of the game right?

Gamey is taking advantage of pre-positioned units or coded effects that you wouldn't know initially or without looking at the game's code. Not following the historic timeline just makes it ahistorical.

Since the US carriers always start in the same location, and the AI isn't always the smartest, you can go after them ASAP and wipe out a major portion of their available carrier force.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You can try to hunt for the US carriers instead of doing a PH strike, since you know where they start.

You can hit Pearl for multiple days, although this doesn't always turn out as well as you might think since CAP will be up on the second day and you don't get torpedoes in the harbor and pilot losses might not make it worth it.

You can divert the KB to hit Manila instead of Pearl, and this is a hotly-debated topic as people weigh whether the BBs or the subs are more valuable to the Allies.

You can try to land directly at Mersing to cut off Singers right away, since you know that there are few forces there. This might not be a good idea against a human.

You can use China as a training ground for pilots, letting them rack up xp via unopposed bombing runs, then reassigning the pilots back to the front lines so that you can maintain a crack force. I think you might need some of the other player options to be enabled, and that this works better with the Hakko Ichiu scenario where the Japanese have more training squadrons.

You can use strategic bombing on the Chinese cities to deny them of supply production.

You can exploit the air combat engine's overemphasis on the power of dives by sweeping enemy airbases with fighters flying at maximum altitude to give them a large combat advantage.

In general, the AI is not very good at concentrating its forces, and will send out task forces with penny-packet compositions. For the Allies, this makes the game fairly easy. The "Fortress Palembang" strategy for example will trip up the Japanese AI every time because it will never figure out that if you've turned Palembang into The Iron Cage of Sebastus IV, that it needs to hit it with everything it's got. It'll just keep sending small transport TFs to try and land troops, which your Vildebeests and Mitchells will rather easily sink, and the whole campaign will lock up.

For the Japanese, this still makes the campaign an uphill battle because the sheer amount of resources available to the Allies will mean that it can and will eventually stumble upon creating a concentrated force, even by accident, and the paucity of your own forces will mean that you only really need to make one mistake before you get so many KB carriers that you'll be forced on the permanent defensive. As an aside, this is why the "Ironman" scenarios exist: if you give the Japanese AI a poo poo-ton of assets to play with, you extend the "fun part" of an Allied human player playing against them because the IJN remains a credible threat for so much longer even with the AI's less-than-stellar strategic planning.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can divert the KB to hit Manila instead of Pearl, and this is a hotly-debated topic as people weigh whether the BBs or the subs are more valuable to the Allies.

You don't even need to divert the KB for that, just focus your aircraft against Manila.

I should really put more effort into learning WitP, you can get a lot of mileage out of low-altitude strikes. (And I'm a huge ww2 nerd/aircraft sperg)

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
This loving LP is making me want to download the game again and give it another try :gonk:

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Just a reminder, the Operational Report header is still showing (day)/12/42 rather than (day)/12/41. Top-flight stuff otherwise.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'd just like to remind everyone of what happened the last time Grey Hunter played a game where it was "OK I'm going to win like nuts in the beginning, and then the way the game's designed inevitably means that I'm going to start going backwards and consolidating somewhat and the real measure of success isn't what I gain now, it's what I don't lose later"

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East/

We have an even-money chance of this either ending in Operation Downfall or the American intelligence report reading "Tokyo Bay Fortress is located at San Francisco".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suppose it all depends on if we can make it up the tech tree enough to activate the Zakus hidden in Tokyo Bay.