Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've never tried ED, it always looked like everyone who used it would be a cookie cutter build.

What are some decent league starters for 3.0, was thinking of trying scorching ray with cast on channeling and tacking on righteous fire later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

frostbolt, scorching ray, glacial cascade mines, whatever mathil was doing, sunder, probably flameblast totems/warchief totems/srs like normal.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I tossed together a scorching ray inquisitor in path of building that looks pretty solid. It needs nothing to get started and the only uniques you want eventually are kaoms heart and searing touch. And whatever unique flasks you feel like.

https://pastebin.com/ZmCkfNNC

10k+ EHP and 400k+ dot dps vs shaper with only a blue sulphur flask active and basic as gently caress rares (no opals etc). 6linked staff and 20/20 gems.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Power charges: It makes sense for Power charges to give another bonus, and 4% more spell damage is probably the most logical one. Also, lowering the crit chance given is fine because I don't like how much of your crit chance comes purely from Power charges as is in the game in the first place, and acting like this ruins all attacking Uniques/ascendancies that generate power charges is dumb, because it's a nerf to crit in general and the charges still do something.
Frenzy charges: Well if they add spell damage to Power charges, they had to remove it from Frenzy charges. There are some uniques that probably should be modified for this change, especially Tinkerskin, but acting like Frenzy charges now do nothing with those uniques is really stretching it.

My overall problem with the complaints is that if they kept the crit chance from PC at 50%, no one would complain about how Power Siphon and Hegemony's Era "don't work any more," because that statement is just straight up wrong. Likewise, if they reverted Frenzy charges to 5% aspd/cast speed without any damage on them, no one would complain about how Tinkerskin and Tulfall "don't work," but that's how Frenzy charges always worked and that's effectively what they're doing to them for casters anyways. It's not good that you always feel incredibly gimped when you don't have a way to consistently generate Frenzy charges for a caster or don't have a way to generate Power charges for an attacking build. They'll still be big losses if you can't generate them, but it won't be as bad now.

Shock/Chill: This actually works exactly the same as it does right now, except instead of scaling from 0.25s duration up to like 4 second duration, always at full effect, it now scales from 20% effectiveness up to 100% effectiveness, always at 4 second duration. Numerically, the amount of damage you need to do to shock/chill and how much increased shock/chill effect (currently inc duration) impacts them is exactly the same. Yes, GGG said they would make bosses easier to shock and this is wrong with the current implementation of the new shock system. But don't act like things got worse. The point of the changes was obviously to nerf the amount of shock/chill you could apply to enemies for free with AA/Vinktar/VLT/Vortex, and to make "increased effect of ailments" more meaningful of a stat. The change accomplishes the nerf well. I fully expect it to be changed in some way to address the "you should be able to shock bosses you couldn't before" by the time 3.0 is actually out.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

TheRat posted:

I tossed together a scorching ray inquisitor in path of building that looks pretty solid. It needs nothing to get started and the only uniques you want eventually are kaoms heart and searing touch. And whatever unique flasks you feel like.

https://pastebin.com/ZmCkfNNC

10k+ EHP and 400k+ dot dps vs shaper with only a blue sulphur flask active and basic as gently caress rares (no opals etc). 6linked staff and 20/20 gems.

cool I'll try this since I've never played around with SR and I always start with warchief anyways.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Hamburger Test posted:

but Windripper and Doomfletch's Prism remain the two best unique bows in the game

How could I write this.

Death's Opus is still very viable as Ele conversion even after it has had it's multiplier slashed.

Reach is also still hanging in there, but with a relatively slow speed and no crit chance to make up for it - just not that exciting to me.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol: is some reddit idiot necroing all the threads from 2010 on the poe forums? Almost all the posts on the first page of the general disscussion forum there is super old and has no new post in it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bugsy posted:

:lol: is some reddit idiot necroing all the threads from 2010 on the poe forums? Almost all the posts on the first page of the general disscussion forum there is super old and has no new post in it.

People trigger in mysterious ways I guess

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

funmanguy posted:

More obvious trolls from dnc.

jk

They aren't perfect (trading) but they seem to want to make a good game. Blizzard's about making aggressively alright games. Tons of other developers mimic successful company x for good and bad (Gigantic, seriously I don't need a launcher) or try to shoehorn terrible mechanics (For Honor). GGG just wants to make an enjoyable game, and isn't willing to turn the game into D3 or some f2p trash. Oh and real customer service as opposed to trying their damnedest to not have any (Dota 2 I'm looking at you).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 28, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

theshim posted:

also funman what should I start this league with

Cross between an elephant and a rhino.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

funmanguy posted:

gently caress you funman

serious though, I still got nothing :ohdear:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdlnJBQMHbc

New split arrow with the jewel seems kind of silly. I'm sure split arrow is still just inferior to other bow skills but at least it looks cool.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

funmanguy posted:

:haw:

That Blight threshhold gem has me considering going from ED/toss Contagion whenver Trickster to Blight/CWC/ED Trickster. Maybe fifth's time the charm on making a CWC setup I don't absolutely hate.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

moush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdlnJBQMHbc

New split arrow with the jewel seems kind of silly. I'm sure split arrow is still just inferior to other bow skills but at least it looks cool.

That looks just as funny as I imagined it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

whypick1 posted:

:haw:

That Blight threshhold gem has me considering going from ED/toss Contagion whenver Trickster to Blight/CWC/ED Trickster. Maybe fifth's time the charm on making a CWC setup I don't absolutely hate.

What's the point of going cwc on ED, a spell that doesn't benefit from stacking or faster casting?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Maybe I should stop coming up with build ideas while I'm at work. :downs:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh they nerfed ring of blades too, annoying.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

theshim posted:

gently caress you funman

serious though, I still got nothing :ohdear:

Dude, I have no idea. When the patch notes are released, I will read them in my isolation chamber and plan some builds.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

funmanguy posted:

Dude, I have no idea. When the patch notes are released, I will read them in my isolation chamber and plan some builds.

Dumb you're suppose to plan builds before then and hope they get buffed instead of nerfed.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 29, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I saw a short video of a Flicker Strike build zapping between enemy mobs like crazy and basically being a perma Omnislash from Dota 2 clearing a zone.

Is something like that still viable in 3.0? Do I need a particular class/ascendancy for it? Kinda want to be a Ranger/Raider for it

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Raider can do it well with any weapon, most other classes have to use Oro's Whatever (2 handed sword) to generate the frenzy charges. Assassins can use Terminus Est but I think that sword got nerfed to hell at some point so they'd probably still use Oro's.

e: Oh no Terminus Est got buffed to hell at the start of Legacy, nvm.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

frajaq posted:

I saw a short video of a Flicker Strike build zapping between enemy mobs like crazy and basically being a perma Omnislash from Dota 2 clearing a zone.

Is something like that still viable in 3.0? Do I need a particular class/ascendancy for it? Kinda want to be a Ranger/Raider for it

That should work just fine in 3.0 yes.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I did it in Legacy as a Duelist, it owns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

Raider can do it well with any weapon, most other classes have to use Oro's Whatever (2 handed sword) to generate the frenzy charges. Assassins can use Terminus Est but I think that sword got nerfed to hell at some point so they'd probably still use Oro's.

e: Oh no Terminus Est got buffed to hell at the start of Legacy, nvm.

Terminus flicker got hit pretty hard by the Assassin and poison changes. Oro flicker was probably better to begin with.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Terminus flicker might go better with Scion-Assassin, which has not been nerfed, and has gained a huge amount of relative power.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

frajaq posted:

The Oriath weapon mtx gives Flicker a neat trailing effect

https://gfycat.com/IckyUniqueCollie

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh and real customer service as opposed to trying their damnedest to not have any (Dota 2 I'm looking at you).

Every time I e-mail GGG I feel like it's the first time I'm being replied by an actual living human being who's interested in helping me solve my issue instead of finding the proper message to copy paste.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

The current state of changes look real good for elemental attack build stacking flat added damage - so I think I'm going to try that. Maybe doomfletch with flat phys, or maybe flat ele sunder. Raider feels good for any of these options, and would even allow stuff like playing around with fidelitas Spike and HoT, or wild strike shenanigans, or hyaons (though rip attack speed). I feel like flat ele stacking/full conversion will be fotm.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Elentor posted:

Every time I e-mail GGG I feel like it's the first time I'm being replied by an actual living human being who's interested in helping me solve my issue instead of finding the proper message to copy paste.

You've must've never messaged them about technical issues. Their customer service blows rear end if it's not billing related from my experience.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
you know 6L oros and double kaoms gives me an idea...

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Kild posted:

You've must've never messaged them about technical issues. Their customer service blows rear end if it's not billing related from my experience.

I have emailed them about a technical issue before and the effort they went to resolve it was rather surprising. Took down tons of info to attempt to recreate it and fix it. And even followed up with me after.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rakeris posted:

I have emailed them about a technical issue before and the effort they went to resolve it was rather surprising. Took down tons of info to attempt to recreate it and fix it. And even followed up with me after.

My emails with them ended up with me just giving up after they blamed a sound driver for me lagging other people with my build. :ghost:

Kild fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 29, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

My emails with them ended up with me just giving up after they blamed a sound driver for me lagging other people with my build. :ghost:

Sound advice.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've never emailed support about a technical issue (for any game) but for everything else, GGG's support is beyond amazing. They get back to me in 2-15 minutes, do exactly what I asked of them or tell me explicitly why they can't, and from what I can tell don't use canned responses at all.

A year or so back, I purchased the Elite armor set at full price. Two days later it went on sale. I knew GGG's policy was 'get a crystal ball or get bent' but I emailed them anyway. The rep got back to me in 5 minutes and said that their policy is no refunds because of an item going on sale, but then said that since I've been a supporter since the early days of closed beta they were making an exception. So they refunded me the whatever, 6 dollar difference or something.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Sotar posted:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

ggg made you an offer that you couldn't refuse?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

funmanguy posted:

ggg made you an offer that you couldn't refuse?

Yeah, they said my family would live if I played again.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sotar posted:

Yeah, they said my family would live if I played again.

But you'll never see them, so you'll never know for sure.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I like the idea of making a summon skeletons dark pact build. Scale minion life and area damage and use minion instability had a big nuke. I am trying to wedge it all into a null's inclination, but that seems farfetched. Even so, nulls would have a 2L and a 4L, 2L is skellies+minion life, 4L is darkpact+some stuff probably. Blast rain or rain of arrows seem like the ideal choices for attack to trigger the gems. Without any jewels with minion life, just with whats in the tree and the gem, level 20 skellies would have about 4511 life. Using a level 20 darkpact would deal 471-571 base chaos damage, and a minion instability hit would be 1488 fire damage.

Alternatively drop nulls and using maligaro's lens and necromantic aegis to make them die easier, and give you some nice life regen. Could even see doing that as a blood magic build and use cwc+wither. Interesting skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Vulpes posted:

But you'll never see them, so you'll never know for sure.

"I should caall my- oh! exalt orb!"

• Locked thread