Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glotag
Apr 20, 2009

The Al'Kabor Project is an open source emulated EverQuest server. More specifically, it aims to replicate EverQuest's Al'Kabor server, which was the server for the Macintosh version of the game; eliminating unintended bugs while preserving many quirks that made EQmac a unique experience. The Al'Kabor server was perpetually stuck in the [b[Planes of Power[/b] expansion, receiving no content updates for the decade of its life.

The project is far from complete. Database wise, content is being developed starting from the classic zones and will stop at Planes of Power. Currently the project is in the late classic era with Kunark having just launched on 10/7/15

What's Unique About TAKP
The Al'Kabor Project is unique among other emulated EQ servers in that it is both fully open source and strives for a high degree of accuracy. There are other servers that have a high standard of accurate emulation (Project 1999) and servers that are open source (EQEmu + PEQ), but not both.

The Al'Kabor Project aims to emulate EverQuest Mac in the early Planes of Power era. (no Ykesha additions, such as augments) Other servers typically emulate Velious, or Gates of Discord.

The client used for this project is a late 2002 era client, which is the earliest client of all the emulated EQ servers.

There are both Windows and Macintosh clients available.

This project uses a different login server from the normal EQEmu login server, so TAKP forked servers will not be listed at EQEmu.

The Official TAKP Server
Some particulars:

The Plane of Knowledge is open, allowing rapid travel via PoK stones.
Cabilis, Shar Vahl, Field of Bone, and Shadeweaver's Thicket are open, allowing people to roll Iksar and Vah Shir characters. Other zones from these expansions are not open.
There is a boxing limit of three characters. A single person may have up to 3 characters logged in at a time.
There is a staff mandated rotation of raid boss kills. Currently this includes Vox and Nagafen only.
Several guilds from the now closed Al'Kabor server have moved here.

History
This project started in or around 2010 as a PEQ (ProjectEQ) project where developers from PEQ would log on the OSX server known as Al'Kabor, using a ppc client to record pathing, quests, and the likes for the zones that no longer exist on the PC version of Everquest. In the spring of 2012, SOE (now Daybreak) announced the closures of many of their games including The Al'Kabor Server and Everquest Online Adventure. A hacked PC Client was used by other developers in EQEmu community and it was unknown by the players at that time. It was quickly leaked to the public assuming the server would be shutting down for good. At that time, a couple of PEQ developers along with a couple of others in the eqemu community wanted to find ways to preserve the server as it is since it was the only unique "Classic" server. The Server sunset was postponed due to players plea to keep it alive for another year before it shut down for good. It also gave us a chance to develop tools to collect and to find a proper codebase which then became a PEQMac Project. We decided to make it a project apart from the PEQ project to avoid confusion. So we decided to call it The Al`Kabor Project since it is more universal with using a pc client as well as the mac client.

So, how do I get started here?
Here's the skinny:
1. Create an account on the TAK Project forums: http://www.takproject.net/
2. Get the client:
-This server has both a Windows and Macintosh client available. The public downloads for these clients are on a Google Drive that Sketchy currently maintains.
- The pre-configured windows client is available here
- The Macintosh client is available here
3. For more specifics on how to configure and install, even on Linux! go to the handy dandy TAK Project WIki Getting Started Page
4. Start killing rats and other critters warning: this server is as classic as they come, it is hard, it is unforgiving, it is classic Everquest as we remember it.

Resources:

Project WIki
TAK Player Magelo
Item/NPC Allaclone Database
Al'Kabor Lucy Spell Databse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

Just rolled, give into the addiction. Also starting the 26th (?), double XP begins!

mattisacomputer fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 25, 2015

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Still cannot believe SOE killed my chars on the EQMAC server.

gently caress, I had three or four really fun chars to play.

This is the sweet spot (Release-PoP) for EQ though. No question about it.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Herv posted:

Still cannot believe SOE killed my chars on the EQMAC server.

gently caress, I had three or four really fun chars to play.

This is the sweet spot (Release-PoP) for EQ though. No question about it.

RIP Hervsquad.

Jikasoz here, thanks for the memories Herv.

mattisacomputer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 25, 2015

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

mattisacomputer posted:

RIP Hervsquad.

Jikasoz here, thanks for the memories Herv.

I totally forgot everyone's forum name here.

Same back at you man. While <What> never beat PoP we really had what was most important about this drat game. Quality folks, tons of fun.

Dorking around on p99 with an ez mode mage, I doubt I will last the month.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Good. When that ends you can reroll on TAKP. :cheers:

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I thought SOE released their own progressive server. Was there something wrong with the official one? The OP describes Al'Kabor is based on the old mac server?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
For anyone who just want to use a Titanium install that we probably all already have, you'll need this:

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?s=&id=6581

It's a working new ui/default.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Khako posted:

I thought SOE released their own progressive server. Was there something wrong with the official one? The OP describes Al'Kabor is based on the old mac server?

yeah but the issue is that those aren't 'classic'. P99 and P2002 offer something very unique and different than the soe servers can offer.. even if they are on the same expansions.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Yes... YES... give into the compulsion. You all will join us...

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Hows the population? Community?

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
I'm interested in this to play a Ranger with AAs so it's actually good but goddamn the older client is rough. Can't bind strafe or zoom out to the P99 third person chase camera. Also never a fan of allowing dualboxing.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

had this working just fine on release and I don't recall messing with my folder

doesn't load anymore

so downloaded fresh client from the wiki

sometimes I make it to character select and on rare occasions I can get in game

have I really damaged my brain so badly in two years? I played just fine on Al'kabor

e: tried again - persistence on the secrets client let me get three clients online, but with a significant delay in loading each. I can't imagine zoning will have pleasant results

insulated staircase fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 20, 2016

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I supplied a 180 MB EQMAC logfile to...someone at TAKP. They saw I posted it in the bugs section of the p99 forum.

I also found some screenies from EQMAC!

loving with the puppets:

Not a sploit, its their unfinished script's fault.

Reverse killing the audience.

I did run a weird exploit in this joint, not regularly just for fun once or twice but holy poo poo its... explosive! I wish I had a screenie, I was probably too busy trying to survive longer than 2 mins to take one, looks like.

poo poo

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
poo poo is fun. Got the standard Ench/Dru/Clr trio up to level 8 but spell prices are killing me. really forces you to choose wisely

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Any interest in a static group? I've always wanted to experience Luclin/PoP but I really don't wanna be forced into boxing. Would prefer to roll a monk if anyone would be down with such an idea.

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
Server is still humming along, receiving regular patches + development work. Velious was released in Sept and Luclin is targeted for Sept of next year. The devs are quite good at responding to bug reports and implementing fixes quickly.

Bazaar is in and functional which is quite nice - you can make a seperate dedicated trading account beyond the 3 box limit.

I single box as Inacht, Beastlord currently 52. I usually play in the evenings with my buddy who 3 boxes. Anyone rolling up some new characters feel free to add me; I can throw a little starting plat your way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Here To Help posted:

Server is still humming along, receiving regular patches + development work. Velious was released in Sept and Luclin is targeted for Sept of next year. The devs are quite good at responding to bug reports and implementing fixes quickly.

Bazaar is in and functional which is quite nice - you can make a seperate dedicated trading account beyond the 3 box limit.

I single box as Inacht, Beastlord currently 52. I usually play in the evenings with my buddy who 3 boxes. Anyone rolling up some new characters feel free to add me; I can throw a little starting plat your way.

Wait, did P99 change its philosophy? I thought they were going to stop at "Classic" Everquest, which many people agree ends at Velious. Are they going to stop at Luclin or just release expansions as they can develop them?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Node posted:

Wait, did P99 change its philosophy? I thought they were going to stop at "Classic" Everquest, which many people agree ends at Velious. Are they going to stop at Luclin or just release expansions as they can develop them?

P99 isn't alkabor. Far as i know, they (p99) are still sticking to velious max.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

P99 isn't alkabor. Far as i know, they (p99) are still sticking to velious max.

Ignore me, I'm just stupid.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy poo poo, herv. What's going on? I was Cukekis in game, a level 55 or 60 Iksar Necro from <what>

So, my main question with this server...are they allowing imports of characters from EQMac? I ended up paying cavedude the 5 bucks for my character info...just seeing if I can get right back to it, though I'm guessing not. It'd be fun to get back into it, though!

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I played Al'kabor real fuckin' casually, and I had no idea it got revived. I don't think I have the willpower to get back to the grind, but it's really cool to see it revived. Al'kabor had probably the coolest friendliest community of any server for any game I've ever played.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah I was bummed A'K got taken down also, I had a nice 4-box team going with old school Cleric healing and Enchanter mezzing, unlike the modern Live merc semi-automatic setup. I reached level 30.

FYI, my ZlizEQMap tool, made at first for P99, works just as well for TAK, although you might need to adjust a few of the zone file names (which can be done in a simple text file):

http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Pilsner posted:

Yeah I was bummed A'K got taken down also, I had a nice 4-box team going with old school Cleric healing and Enchanter mezzing, unlike the modern Live merc semi-automatic setup. I reached level 30.

FYI, my ZlizEQMap tool, made at first for P99, works just as well for TAK, although you might need to adjust a few of the zone file names (which can be done in a simple text file):

http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap

Despite my protests I did end up starting up again and playing a little, and it's the same old suffering I remember. This map tool is great though, kinda makes me laugh that every private server bent over backwards to remove the mapping tool for era authenticity when stuff like this exists now.

Sketched
Oct 26, 2005
Oh sweet, someone made a thread. Hi Herv, Cuke and Jika! I have no idea who Glotag is in-game? Herv, I suspect you sent your logs over to Torven, or sometimes known as Torrid (rerolled). I have been playing on the TAKP server since beta so I can most likely answer any questions about it. Currently I am in Austerity and enjoying the velious content. Char names are Sketchy/Sungura/Stabbs/Kralik. Send me a tell if you need a hand with anything or to just say hello. Happy to help with some plat and random items.

http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Getting_Started - both mac and pc clients available for download.
http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Server_Comparison - comparing TAKP with some other servers

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

I enjoyed playing on this server earlier this year. Has the population grown since velious came out? I will probably jump back in sometime either way, the players in that small community were good people.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Aades posted:

I enjoyed playing on this server earlier this year. Has the population grown since velious came out? I will probably jump back in sometime either way, the players in that small community were good people.

On my second day on the old Mac Al'Kabor server, some guy walked up to my lvl 5 monk and handed me:

20k plat,
rod of disruption,
fungi tunic,
white dragon helm (I think?),

Poor Babsy, lost forever to the great bityard in the net =(

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sketched posted:

Oh sweet, someone made a thread. Hi Herv, Cuke and Jika! I have no idea who Glotag is in-game? Herv, I suspect you sent your logs over to Torven, or sometimes known as Torrid (rerolled). I have been playing on the TAKP server since beta so I can most likely answer any questions about it. Currently I am in Austerity and enjoying the velious content. Char names are Sketchy/Sungura/Stabbs/Kralik. Send me a tell if you need a hand with anything or to just say hello. Happy to help with some plat and random items.

http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Getting_Started - both mac and pc clients available for download.
http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Server_Comparison - comparing TAKP with some other servers

Sketch!!! Miss you man, did a good amount of p99 this year, but I am not active at the moment. Winter is coming though, so I may log my TAKP guys (they are like lvl 10) and get back in there.

If we have half as much fun as we did on Al'Kabor, shits gonna be a blast as usual. :)

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I heard project 2002 is going to use titanium client. I would play that.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

lemonslol posted:

I heard project 2002 is going to use titanium client. I would play that.

Yeah, the already small community for this type of server split early on, which sucks.

P2002 is tossing out content but they don't really have a dev effort like with TAKP, according to Secrets.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Herv posted:

Yeah, the already small community for this type of server split early on, which sucks.

P2002 is tossing out content but they don't really have a dev effort like with TAKP, according to Secrets.

Bummer too if they were together they would have about 200 people on at all times. I don't care for the eqmac client, so I couldn't play on takproject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sketched
Oct 26, 2005
Herv man, one of my buds in game just completed his gnome enchanter PoM robe, looks amazing as expected! Yeah the client is old and people are spoiled by titanium. P2002 split off early in the development. They really don't have the same commitment to accuracy, history and client stability. They release content as soon as possible, its not always best. The devs on TAKP are all well known in the EQEmu community and have worked on PEQ:TGC, or P99 and are committed to the project.

I really like the old EQMac client too, there are certain things that make the game more challenging due to client limitations. And that keeps it interesting. Feels classic!

Herv, send me a tell when your online, good to hear from you!

• Locked thread